PDA

View Full Version : SCCA at Thunderbolt

Terry Hanushek
08-26-2008, 01:39 PM
New Jersey Motorsports Park's second course - Thunderbolt Raceway - will host its first SCCA Club Racing event on 20-21 September. :cool: Thunderbolt is the 'pro' course at NJMP with GrandAm Rolex, Formula Atlantic, ARCA and Speed World Challenge events scheduled this fall. This will be your first chance to race on the course which will become a premier venue in the Northeast Division.

This event is named 50 Years at Speed to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the South Jersey Region and its first race at Vineland Speedway.

Online registration (http://www.dlbracing.com/) is now open at on the DLB site. Select South Jersey Region or Northeast Division as the Club to see the event calender.

Terry Hanushek
South Jersey Region

Robert Zecca
08-26-2008, 02:26 PM
NNJR just held their first regional event at Lighting this past weekend with excellent support from SJR. I strongly recomend drivers to attend this event. NJMP is simply an incredible facility and honestly becoming my favorite track. The staff under Joe Volpe is excellent and the town of Millville is perfect for race fans, very friendly and minutes from the track. SJR is a great region made up of talented people so please support this event. You will be happy you did.

Sincerely,
Bob Zecca
Secretary NNJR

Greg Amy
08-26-2008, 02:36 PM
Done!

Guys, would you happen to know if paid entry to the SCCA event gives us access to the airshow as well?

Greg

wdether
08-27-2008, 06:19 PM
Done!

Guys, would you happen to know if paid entry to the SCCA event gives us access to the airshow as well?

Greg

Greg,
Terry would know for sure, but it would be my guess that your entry to the races will grant you access to the airport for the aircraft static display. The track does mention there will be shuttles from the track to the airport to view the aircraft while they are on the ground. You should have no problem seeing the aircraft fly as the runways are right next to the two tracks. The website indicates the aricraft will be flying from 1 to 4 PM Saturday and Sunday. I have seen a SNJ-6 Texan trainer and a FG-1D Corsair fly while at the track in July and this past weekend.

In addition to the airshow, vintage racing at Lightning, a car show, there will be a concert on Saturday night. From the website:
"The ‘Race Night’ Oldies Concert, which will feature five 50’s/60’s pop rock bands, will take place on Saturday evening, September 20, beginning at 7 pm."

Check out the following website for more information on the airshow: http://www.millvilleairshow.com/index.html

Schedule of Events
Schedule Subject To Change

Saturday, September 20

7:00 am — Gates Open
9:00 am - Noon — Static Aircraft Displays
Noon - 4:00 pm — Vintage Warbirds Airshow
7:00 pm — Race Night Oldies Concert
Sunday, September 21

7:00 am — Gates Open
9:00 am - Noon — Static Aircraft Displays
Noon - 4:00 pm — Vintage Warbirds Airshow
*No coolers. No pets. No smoking. No alcohol. For security purposes, all persons and property may be subject to search.

Sounds like a great weekend to me. Be there!

chewy8000
09-03-2008, 10:02 AM
My wife and I were planning on shooting up from VA for this event. Any ITB guys on here we could paddock with? Never been to NJMP and wanted to put a 3rd track on my list.

wdether
09-03-2008, 07:36 PM
I volunteered (tech) with the Mustang Challenge this past weekend at NJMP and had the opportunity to get up on the roof of the timing tower. This, by far, is the best viewing location on the track. From there you can see the whole track and the airport runways. Another good spot to watch is from either side of the bridge (same as Lightning).

As with Lightning, dust was an issue during the weekend. The track made some needed safety changes to the guardrails by the entrance to pitlane after the Scott Pruitt crash on Thursday.

kevin22
09-04-2008, 06:56 PM
New Jersey Motorsports Park's second course - Thunderbolt Raceway - will host its first SCCA Club Racing event on 20-21 September. :cool: Thunderbolt is the 'pro' course at NJMP with GrandAm Rolex, Formula Atlantic, ARCA and Speed World Challenge events scheduled this fall. This will be your first chance to race on the course which will become a premier venue in the Northeast Division.

This event is named 50 Years at Speed to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the South Jersey Region and its first race at Vineland Speedway.

Online registration (http://www.dlbracing.com/) is now open at on the DLB site. Select South Jersey Region or Northeast Division as the Club to see the event calender.

Terry Hanushek
South Jersey Region
Is there a test day on Friday???

wdether
09-04-2008, 09:10 PM
Is there a test day on Friday???

The track does list a test day at Thunderbolt on its website and the test day form can be found at: http://njmotorsportspark.com/rules.html Cost for the test day is $250 if the form is received by September 17th.

chewy8000
09-04-2008, 09:56 PM
Is there an active entry list so we can see who's running?

Dave Gomberg
09-05-2008, 08:33 AM
Is there an active entry list so we can see who's running?http://www.dlbracing.com/clubs/clubdrivers.aspx?bygroup=true&EventID=3602

Dave

chewy8000
09-10-2008, 01:24 PM
I can't wait to run this course. Too bad theres only 3 cars in ITB :rolleyes:

mowog
09-13-2008, 03:35 PM
Bill E. - will tech be open Thursday evening to check cars for Friday's test day?

Note to all, the DLB Racing web site is down - it's located in Texas. Sure hope everyone is OK there! Give us all a shout when you can and let us know how you fared.

wdether
09-13-2008, 05:00 PM
Bill E. - will tech be open Thursday evening to check cars for Friday's test day?

Note to all, the DLB Racing web site is down - it's located in Texas. Sure hope everyone is OK there! Give us all a shout when you can and let us know how you fared.

Mowog,
The Friday test day is being run by the track and is not a SCCA event. I am not sure what the track does tech-wise for the test day. SCCA tech is scheduled to open up at 6:30 PM on Friday night.

Terry Hanushek
09-14-2008, 04:44 PM
The DLB Online Registration system is back up after an extended, storm-related outage. Thanks for your patience.

I believe that the track will be open on Thursday evening for Test Day participants. I am trying to confirm this track access. I'm not certain about Thursday tech.

Terry

mowog
09-14-2008, 07:57 PM
Thanks Terry, please let us know what you find out. I believe we have to go thru NJ inspection before we can go on track for Friday. At least at the first Lightning, several SCCA people were involved in that. I'm hoping we can get this taken care of Thursday, but of course that's just a hope! -chris

wdether
09-15-2008, 10:26 PM
The track has posted a facility map specifically for the weekend. The map for the paddock at Thunderbolt indicates the areas for the various groups (SCCA, car show, airshow center, re-enactors & military vehicles(?), the trolley/shuttle stops, etc).

By the way, false grid is at the far right of the paddock and tech will be (I believe) at the first garage space in the building perpendicular to the front straight. Note: if tech is not at the first garage, I am sure registration will let you know where it is.

The map can be found at: http://www.njmotorsportspark.com/pdf/W&W%20NJMP%20Handout%20Map%209-10_SM.pdf

There is also a schedule for the airshow listed on the website (a very interesting collection of warbirds). The schedule can be found at: http://www.njmotorsportspark.com/pdf/W&W%202008%20SCHEDULE%209-08-SM.pdf

Terry Hanushek
09-15-2008, 11:46 PM
We have confirmed that the track will be open on Thursday evening with overnight access. The plan is to conduct tech inspection for the Test Day participants on Thursday evening from 7:00 to 9:00 PM.

See ya at the track

Terry

Terry Hanushek
09-16-2008, 10:42 PM
The Stewards of the Meeting have approved a schedule change to move ITC from Group 2 (SM, ITC) to Group 8 (IT7, ITA, ITC, SRX7, SSB, SSC, T3). The DLB Online Registration (http://www.dlbracing.com/clubs/clubdrivers.aspx?bygroup=true&EventID=3602) has been updated to reflect this change. ITC is now grouped with ITA and IT7.

Terry Hanushek
Chief Steward
50 Years At Speed

PDoane
09-18-2008, 08:26 AM
Which tire supplier is handling Hoosier for this race weekend?

gran racing
09-18-2008, 10:17 AM
Just got back from doing a track day on Thunderbolt... The track was much more fun than I anticipated it being, and it's really, really fast.

Quick warning: If coming from the north, route 55 isn't marked and we totally missed any of the other routes that followed that general route. We ended up going too far south. :(

chewy8000
09-18-2008, 09:11 PM
Well all packed up and ready to go. We can't get out of work at a decent time so we won't be up there until late tomorrow. Anyone know if we can still drop the car after 9pm? I don't really want to drag it all to the hotel.