PDA

View Full Version : 1st Gen OEM Pilot Bearing Puller

tom_sprecher
08-18-2008, 03:28 PM
Before I go and buy one from MazdaSpeed for $87 does anybody have an unit that will work. I have three bearings to pull and have tried some other methods (carriage bolt, jaw puller, etc) but they failed. There just is not a whole lot of thickness to that roller bearing cage to get a grip on.

I will pay rent & shipping.

Thanks,

Hotshoe
08-18-2008, 03:48 PM
How many times do I have to tell you...............CALL ME FIRST .... you hard headed rascal.

tom_sprecher
08-18-2008, 04:02 PM
I am a hard headed rascal with a lousy memory.

Thanks, Ricky.

joeg
08-18-2008, 04:40 PM
grease!

C. Ludwig
08-18-2008, 04:48 PM
There are aftermarket pullers that work. Someone posted a pic of their (matco?) set on nopistons a while back and it looked identical to the Mazda piece. Having taken many out in any number of manners in the past I can say the Mazda piece is worth $87 and much more.

it7rx739
08-18-2008, 05:36 PM
How many times do I have to tell you...............CALL ME :):):)

billf
08-19-2008, 11:42 PM
The solution to the removal of pilot bearings is as Joeg stated...grease, or to rephrase that...hydraulics.:)

Pack the hole (which contains the bearing) with grease, and insert the tip of an old front shaft from a transmission. (You can also use any installation tool, or a wooden dowl to fit) When ready, tap the end of the shaft/dowl with a hammer, and the bearing will squirt out over the shaft/dowl.:026:

Obviously, the shaft/dowl must be a close fit in order to seal well enough to cause the hydraulic pressure to move the bearing.

Need I say that the pressure plate/disc must be removed before commencing.:blink:

Hope this helps. Thanks, Joe.

Good racing.

Bill:024:

tdw6974
08-20-2008, 10:25 AM
There are aftermarket pullers that work. Someone posted a pic of their (matco?) set on nopistons a while back and it looked identical to the Mazda piece. Having taken many out in any number of manners in the past I can say the Mazda piece is worth $87 and much more.
Best money ever spent. We are in the Northwoods of PA nobody close to borrow one from, so bought one and as Chris says it MONEY WELL SPENT! Seems like we have used it frequently last few weeks :eek:

C. Ludwig
08-20-2008, 05:19 PM
I want to know if the people saying to use grease have actually done it with a rotary?

lateapex911
08-20-2008, 10:39 PM
Tired it on one that wouldn't come out, and it.....didn't budge. made a mess though, LOL.
Puller didn't get that one out either though....

And those things are HARD to cut through!

tom_sprecher
08-21-2008, 09:37 AM
I want to know if the people saying to use grease have actually done it with a rotary?

The reports I have heard say that the dowel pin and grease works with a plain bearing (bushing to you non-ME's) but is a complete fail with a needle roller bearing like in the rotary. There is not a tight enough fit around the circumference to allow pressure to build.

Or, that's the word on the street... ;)

billf
08-21-2008, 11:59 AM
I'll be the first to say I probably was wrong with the grease suggestion. I've used it with needle bearings that had a seal attached to it. Not having seen a rotary bearing, I am certainly out of my element.:(

Sorry to have offered that solution.

Bill:024: