PDA

View Full Version : Car setup advice

zracer22
08-18-2008, 02:42 PM
I finally have all the bugs worked out of my 95 jetta that I race in GTS Challenge. The car is an ex world challenge car that swapped a 1.8T into. The transaxle has a Bildon race LSD witha FDR of 4.27. I put 225 HP and 250 TQ to the wheels. This past weekend, I had a problem with the turbo to manifold bolts coming loose, so i was down on power, but still turning 1:40 at MidOhio. I ran Toyo RA1 225-45-15. -1 camber rear and -4 camber front. I found that hot psi (43) was 15 psi higher than cold (28) after 20 minute session. If I went out with lower cold psi, the car wouldn't turn. Rear pressures were 32 cold and 38-39 hot. Car weighs 2600 lbs.

What tire pressures, toe and camber settings would you go with. I plan to use the toyos at least one more event, but my next tire ppurchase will be Hoosiers. So i'll take advice on both brands.

Thanks to all in advanced.

924Guy
08-18-2008, 02:50 PM
Sweet, sounds like fun!

...safety wire is your friend... not to mention copper locknuts! Had to resort to those to keep the turbo on my street Turbo!

joeg
08-18-2008, 03:04 PM
I would not think the tire pressures are that far out the realm of normalcy--it is FWD afterall.

dj10
08-18-2008, 03:07 PM
I finally have all the bugs worked out of my 95 jetta that I race in GTS Challenge. The car is an ex world challenge car that swapped a 1.8T into. The transaxle has a Bildon race LSD witha FDR of 4.27. I put 225 HP and 250 TQ to the wheels. This past weekend, I had a problem with the turbo to manifold bolts coming loose, so i was down on power, but still turning 1:40 at MidOhio. I ran Toyo RA1 225-45-15. -1 camber rear and -4 camber front. I found that hot psi (43) was 15 psi higher than cold (28) after 20 minute session. If I went out with lower cold psi, the car wouldn't turn. Rear pressures were 32 cold and 38-39 hot. Car weighs 2600 lbs.

What tire pressures, toe and camber settings would you go with. I plan to use the toyos at least one more event, but my next tire ppurchase will be Hoosiers. So i'll take advice on both brands.

Thanks to all in advanced.

1.40, is that pro course or club course? How are the tire temps? How is the rotating? Any push, entry, middle, exit? Different setup on both tires, I suggest you buy one brand and stick with it even in testing. I'll help you set it up if your taking it to Beaver Run for testing.

shwah
08-18-2008, 03:41 PM
Much less motor in my fwd VW, but I was working with a bit less front camber and a bit more rear on Hoosiers at ITFest. -3.5ish / -1.5-2ish. Looking at tire wear maybe could have backed off the front a bit more, but we think it was right for performance. Got a nice photo entering the hairpin showing a pretty vertical loaded outside front from someone while we were there.

When I ran Toyos I ran them way lower in pressure than most suggest, and it was loose until pressures came up, but it worked. I am closer to 'typical' pressures with the Hoosiers.

zracer22
08-19-2008, 02:23 PM
1.40, is that pro course or club course? How are the tire temps? How is the rotating? Any push, entry, middle, exit? Different setup on both tires, I suggest you buy one brand and stick with it even in testing. I'll help you set it up if your taking it to Beaver Run for testing.

Yes, pro course. I'll be at beaverun on sept 1 for Flat out monday. If you're there, I'll gladly take the help!

dj10
08-19-2008, 03:19 PM
Yes, pro course. I'll be at beaverun on sept 1 for Flat out monday. If you're there, I'll gladly take the help!

Make sure you can get tire temps. If I'm not racing I'll try and make it.

sciroccohp
08-19-2008, 06:00 PM
If you need high tire pressures at the begining of the race and the end try nitrogen instead of air they do not build up as much pressure. Just make sure you bleed them well I usually do 2 or 3 times down to almost no pressure fill with nitrogen repeat.