PDA

View Full Version : Legal air intake source

Sandro
08-14-2008, 01:06 AM
This is for an 83 Rabbit.

Looking to get a little fresh air into the airbox. Is it legal to connect a hose and just have it hang down near the gearbox to get fresh air?

Also gcr says:

"Velocity stacks, ram air or cowl induction are not permitted unless fitted as original equipment. "

Since the rabbit originally had the hose that connected from the air box to the front rad support, which is essentially a ram air induction, does that mean I am allowed to have a ram air induction since it originally had one? Meaning can I have a ram air induction but in a different location(where it will pick up more fresh air)?

JeffYoung
08-14-2008, 03:26 AM
I think you have to read that rule in conjunction with the one that says you can pick up air anywhere in the engine compartment, or the stock location (if outside the engine compartment). So, on your car, you can utilize the "ram" air intake location but you can't move it from stock.

dickita15
08-14-2008, 06:09 AM
You need to think about the definition of Ram Air. What is prohibited by that is very specific.

Ram Air - A type of induction system in which the incoming air is obtained from an extension into the airstream outside the bodywork.

As Jeff points out the original location rule will be more relevant.

markw
09-12-2008, 03:46 PM
I don't think the mount of the front nose could be considered high pressure. The earlier years had just a short extension on the inlet that came out by the clutch lever. I think attaching the inlet to the nose was to prevent water and snow from getting packed into the open end. Since the factory airbox inlet had a contraption for warmup, my assumption would be that you could remove it entirely since it could be considered emission related.

Sandro
09-12-2008, 04:21 PM
What I was thinking of doing since the lower airbox is free: getting a scirocco16v lower airbox since it has the 3" inlet, and just have a piece of 3" brake duct hose hang down next to the tranny, it will atleast pickup fresh air and meets the rules. :026:

GKR_17
09-12-2008, 11:20 PM
Careful if it rains...

Sandro
09-13-2008, 01:39 AM
rain whats that? 3 times this year was supposed to rain, and those weekends turned out to be some of the nicest weekends this year, but thatnks for the heads up.

Grumpa
09-13-2008, 12:50 PM
Sandro,
I put an extension on my airbox with a piece of 3" aluminum round air duct, cut to ground plane angle, that terminates just below the radiator airflow. My logic was to attempt to draw somewhat cooler air into the airbox. Looking down on the engine bay, the extension is still in the engine compartment and draws air from a low pressure area since it is behind the airdam.

I have an '84 GTI, and if the original inlet source was to the core support, that is where I will fab back to. I should be able to find that info in the Bentley.

Sandro
09-13-2008, 01:04 PM
Grumpa,

Think what you have is exactly what I am planing on doing, and the aluminum will be better than brake duct hose as I won't have to secure it from flopping around. Below radiator is exactly what I wanted to do so it doesn't get the hot air coming through the radiator.

I