PDA

View Full Version : VW solid rotor front brake pads

dave parker
08-11-2008, 10:00 AM
Hi
For those of you who are racing an A1 Volkswagen with solid front rotors.
As you may or may not know Hawk Performance Brakes has discontinued the HB189E.760 (Blue Compound) brake pad that is the correct thickness for the solid rotor cars.
My employer is a Hawk Brake dealer. I have asked Hawk Brake if they will make a production run of these brake pads, they will make them,but I must commit to buying twenty-five sets.
I will make the price as low as possible.

If you are interested in some of these pads please feel free to contact me at dave at kingratmotorsports (dot) com or call me at 540.955.9696.
Thanks
Dave Parker

chewy8000
08-11-2008, 10:39 AM
:mad: great...

dave parker
08-11-2008, 11:33 AM
Tristan
This pad being discontinued does not effect you. Your car is a vented rotor car that I have pads in stock for.
Dave

jay05
08-13-2008, 10:31 AM
Can't we use the vented rotor pads on non-vented? They would just be thinner:shrug: I'm interested in a set.

280ZX3
02-27-2009, 01:40 AM
Can't we use the vented rotor pads on non-vented? They would just be thinner:shrug: I'm interested in a set.

I'm wondering about this myself. I know hawk still offers .595 and .550 thickness. Will .595 thickness work well enough? Does anybody else offer the extra thick pads?

I currently need front pads for a solid rotor 1980 Rabbit ITC car.

shwah
02-27-2009, 01:47 AM
TIG weld an old backing plate to the vented rotor pad.:shrug:

racer_tim
02-28-2009, 12:30 AM
The problem with running the thinner pad in the solid rotor setup, is that you are outside of the normal "travel" of the caliper, and depending upon the wear pattens of the caliper, you might loose a seal, or cause the seal to burst, and then you have no pedal at all.

I still have some sets of "think" pads, but don't know what compound they are. These were from my ITB VW Scirocco that was a 1.7 and had to use the solid rotors.

shwah
02-28-2009, 11:07 AM
Right. So adding thickness to the backing plate compensates for that issue.

JimLill
02-28-2009, 04:32 PM
http://www.tispeed.com could make ones that as the exact shape of the backing plate would not need welding but is there enough interest?

280ZX3
02-28-2009, 05:35 PM
I'm thinking it might be better just to ditch the solid rotors and get vented ones.

It's looking like this car is going to be more of an autocross/track day car than an ITC car anyway.

dave parker
02-28-2009, 07:49 PM
For a track day car the above ideas are probably fine. Unfortunately for those of us racing these cars in classes like IT or Production means that you must have the correct stuff (unless you want to be labeled a "cheater").

Sadly, Hawk Brake showed no interest in producing the order even though I had forty sets sold. Then during October of 2008 my employer (at the time) ceased operations leaving me unemployed. I was rather bummed about the whole deal. I am still trying to figure out what to do about proper brake pads for my racecar.

Sorry.
dave parker

Flyinglizard
03-01-2009, 01:11 AM
Welding to the backingplate also allows the modification of the backing plate. IE; venting through airholes, heat sinks, etc. Great idea Chris.
Kinda like slotting the plate to add some airflow past the piston. Been done for some time now.
MM

Joe Camilleri
05-07-2009, 09:19 PM
I just ordered some 19.7mm/.775" front pads from Carbotech. They are still making them in different compounds. We'll see how that works.

They were not cheap but nice guys to deal with.

http://www.ctbrakes.com/

pfcs
05-07-2009, 10:07 PM
The only difference between vented/non-vented pads is lining thickness; there is no problem with caliper failure. They just wear out sooner.