PDA

View Full Version : 318 stalling

Willisbe
08-11-2008, 07:32 AM
Car 85 318i
Stock ignition, stock...
After pulling the motor and gas tank and reinstalling
both, the car will fire after cranking for a few seconds and stall 1-2 seconds later.
I am getting 43 psi from the pump when I jump the relay . 40 psi when I try to start the car.
I swapped the computer, Bosch control unit, idle control unit, idle air stabilizer, coil, complete air box/ elbows and sensors with known good ones from the daily driver.
The car will continue to run if the starter is engaged after the car initially starts.
I tried a different ignition switch and the problem is still present.
What tells the "car" that the engine is running
The first time it fired up after motor reinstall, subsequent times have been problems.
Before swap, the engine almost started immediately.
Any ideas/experience?

Possible mix up of fuel lines?
Jeremy Cesene
318i ITB

RacerBill
08-11-2008, 07:51 AM
Jeremy: Have you checked for an air leak after any air flow sensor? I had kind of the same symptoms, and it turned out that the air intake hose had come loose. Engine fires when you turn it on, but since the air does not go thru the air flow sensor, the computer shuts the engine off.

Willisbe
08-11-2008, 12:35 PM
I checked the boot and the hoses behind the sensor and they were fine.

Flyinglizard
09-05-2008, 10:52 PM
Run a hot wire to the coil. It should fire the fuel and ignition systems. Could be a faulty flow meter connector, harness, fuse, tach pickup. Does the tach work?? If the tack works, the computer is getting a run signel. If not , it may not go into run mode.
The fuel goes into the fuel dizzy and than thru the pressure reg , and back to the tank. I thought that the fittings were not the same, but I am not sure. Could be a stuck pancake. Tunr on the pump, lift the pancake,a little!!,listen for the humm of the fuel, if it humms, than you are plumbed correct. Dont foreget that you are flooding the engine as you do this!! and diluting th oil somewhat. Just enough to hear some noise, is all that you need
MM