PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Chrys. minivan power steering

924Guy
08-06-2008, 08:14 AM
Help needed... I'm trying to get my power steering working so I can get to the 'Fest on time... things aren't going well, after replacing the pump I can't seem to get the dayum thing to bleed... now instead of an ugly leak, I've got nearly no power steering!?!

Anything I'm missing???

splats
08-06-2008, 08:41 AM
With my Daytona (same system) I had to jack the front-end off of the ground, then bleed it. If it aerates (turns pink), turn off engine for approx. 30 mins then try it again. Lifting the tires is required on alot of the imports. Good luck at the 'FEST.

924Guy
08-06-2008, 09:03 AM
Cheers; thing that's surprising me is that it is showing no signs of bubbles at all. Not merely just not foaming, but not even a single bubble. Also - fluid selection? Owners manual and the manual I have from the '97 minivan swears up and down not to use ATF, only PS fluid... but everyone seems to indicate ATF?!?

Rabbit07
08-06-2008, 10:04 AM
Sometimes you need to apply a vacum to the system. Fords usually need this, but I would try it anyway. You will need to rig a sealed cap with a fitting for a vacum pump. You can use a hand pump style and suck it down and see if you get results. Does that system have a hydraulic cooling fan, I can't recall if the vans did or didn't?

Are you also sure you don't have a restriction in a line or a bad new pump?

924Guy
08-06-2008, 10:40 AM
Sometimes you need to apply a vacum to the system. Fords usually need this, but I would try it anyway. You will need to rig a sealed cap with a fitting for a vacum pump. You can use a hand pump style and suck it down and see if you get results. Does that system have a hydraulic cooling fan, I can't recall if the vans did or didn't?

Are you also sure you don't have a restriction in a line or a bad new pump?

Yeah, we're gonna try a serious vac pump tonight; used a Mityvac last night, but may not have had the capability req'd. Thankfully no hyd cooling fan!

As for the other options; can't say the new pump isn't bad, this is quite true. Sadly. Though there is some small amount of boost available, mainly once the revs get up a bit - which seems consistent with sucking air or restriction, I'd think. As for restriction... well, it was fine when it was taken apart, just leaking a good bit.

What's your thought on fluid choice - ATF+4 or PS fluid?? Shouldn't matter for the level of problems I'm having, right?

Rabbit07
08-06-2008, 10:48 AM
My understanding with fluid is that ATF has more detergents in it to keep valves clean ect. I don't think it is going to hurt you in this case