PDA

View Full Version : Race car/Trailer storage

backformore
08-05-2008, 10:05 PM
Those of you who store your car and/or trailer, what do you pay? For what conditions (indoor/outdoor/covered)?

Thanks in advance

Rory

JoshS
08-05-2008, 10:52 PM
Awfully region-dependent question ... are you wondering what a good deal is near you?

I'm sure many of you pay less than half of what I do, but the same is true for home prices and rents ...

sciroccohp
08-05-2008, 10:58 PM
shore in CT 50 dollars outside storage for a 40 ft spot.

backformore
08-05-2008, 11:04 PM
Thanks for the disclaimer Josh, how about a number?

JoshS
08-05-2008, 11:48 PM
Thanks for the disclaimer Josh, how about a number?

Okay, fine. $175/mo for a 35' trailer spot. Outdoors, behind a locked gate, but with power and shade.

Wreckerboy
08-06-2008, 07:44 AM
Central NJ, about $600/year (paid quarterly) for an outside spot in a fenced yard with 24 hour access. No set spot size, and I have a 24 ft. overall length open.

RacerBill
08-06-2008, 08:03 AM
It pays to live out in the country, away from the city. Race car stays in the garage. The crew chief only requires one parking spot in the winter. I usually find someone to 'borrow' my engine hoist for the winter !!!!!!

Over the past few years, I have been lucky enough to have friends that had plenty of outdoor storage space that I have been able to take advantage of. Last year, I was able to move the trailer from about 15 miles away to my next door neighbor's who has 5 acres and two barns. Cost - just being a good neighbor.

cheap skate racing!!!!!

mbuskuhl
08-06-2008, 09:32 AM
Get with some other racers in your area and rent a shop/warehouse that also has outdoor parking available. We got 3000sq/ft air conditioned for $1000/month and parking for our trailers outside. With 6 guys total expenses are just under $200/month.

raffaelli
08-06-2008, 09:38 AM
My car stays in the garage for the winter. The trailer gets tucked into the woods on the edge of the property for the winter.

tim240z
08-06-2008, 11:49 AM
I pay 330 a month for a large 2 bay warehouse. I keep 3 cars (the ITS car being one of them) inside and a few outside.

wcmcarlos
08-06-2008, 12:13 PM
Florida Gulf coast.
133.50 for 12 X 20 includes elec. and bathroom key.
then 21.95 per month fenced, lighted, no security.
I took three, one for race trailer, one for motorhome, one for boat.
best deal I ever heard of. except for Mark's Texas deal.
Good Luck
Carlos

jimbbski
08-06-2008, 07:07 PM
I was paying $20 each a month for the tow vehicle & trailer in an outdoor storage lot run by a construction company. The rates will go up to $25 a month starting Sept 1st. Security is that the owner of the lot lives in front and the lots in back. Access is during daylight hours. Area is south Chicago suburbs. My race car stays in my garage.

Sandro
08-06-2008, 09:19 PM
In my area an open spot big enough to store a small open trailer is $100 a month probably $115 by now. When looking for a trailer I couldn't justify spending more in a year to store a trailer than it was worth. Since I couldn't find a small trailer that suited my needs at a reasonable price I decided to make my own, and when doing that I made it so it can be stored on the side of my house. I can have it put together faster than my brother can drive to pick his up and come back.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f231/Kanoa9321/IMG_0645.jpg

CRallo
08-10-2008, 07:22 AM
In my area an open spot big enough to store a small open trailer is $100 a month probably $115 by now. When looking for a trailer I couldn't justify spending more in a year to store a trailer than it was worth. Since I couldn't find a small trailer that suited my needs at a reasonable price I decided to make my own, and when doing that I made it so it can be stored on the side of my house. I can have it put together faster than my brother can drive to pick his up and come back.

now that is sweet!!

RSTPerformance
08-10-2008, 11:31 AM

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f231/Kanoa9321/IMG_0645.jpg

sweet!!! you need to make those and sell them!!! how about a picture of it "together"... where is the axle?

Raymond

Sandro
08-10-2008, 11:54 AM
here is the only picture I have of it assembled, as for the axle its the torsion type axle(no leaf springs) so it only has two bolts on each side that holds it to special plates so I just undo the 4 bolts and then pop the trailer up onto the small temporary wheels you can see in the first pic to role it to the side yard.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f231/Kanoa9321/IMG_0273.jpg

here is pic of the axle so you can see how it bolts together:

http://pi.b5z.net/i/u/1080235/i/Torflex-01.jpg

NutDriverRighty
08-10-2008, 05:45 PM
Dude,

Can you send me plans OR do you want to sell it? Whenever I build something, I ALWAYS find that there is something I wish I'd done differently <hint, hint>.
For my SPU Baby Grand, this looks like the ticket!!

Scott Franklin
Scott F AT NutDriver DOT org

stommelen
08-11-2008, 03:14 PM
:happy204: Great looking piece of work. You do need to start making them and sell them. Now, is there any problem with your car insurance? How many lbs can you carry (again, legally) with one axle? Thanks, gfg

Sandro
08-13-2008, 02:19 PM
Yes I still have the plans, Ill convert them to pdf incase you don't have autocad. Also I will be using it at the end of August so I'll take a few pics, so you get a better idea.

The axle is rated at 3,500 lbs and I am not aware of any law that states you can't carry a certain amount with just one axle(obviously don't go past the load capacity of axle) and I am in CA which usually has every law in the book.

My car weighs about 1930 and if I remember I calculated the weight of the trailer to be about 875 not including the wheels. So as far as the capacity of the trailer I am fine. My concern was over loading the tires but I got some top of the line Maxxis tires that have a very high weight capacity(thats why they are so big) and I have not had any problems. I have let two people borrow it and they both said is was the smoothest trailer they have towed and I believe that is due to the torsion axle.

spdmonkey
08-14-2008, 09:02 AM
I'd love to get a copy of those plans as well. While I have a nice aluminum trailex for use I have a friend that needs a compact trailer and this would be perfect.
db
spdmonkey at aol dot com

NutDriverRighty
08-14-2008, 10:46 AM
If you would be so kind, I'd appreciate a copy of your plans. My e-mail addy is Scott F at NutDriver dot org. It is greatly appreciated.

Scott

Den737
08-14-2008, 11:21 AM
Yes I still have the plans, Ill convert them to pdf incase you don't have autocad. Also I will be using it at the end of August so I'll take a few pics, so you get a better idea.

The axle is rated at 3,500 lbs and I am not aware of any law that states you can't carry a certain amount with just one axle(obviously don't go past the load capacity of axle) and I am in CA which usually has every law in the book.

My car weighs about 1930 and if I remember I calculated the weight of the trailer to be about 875 not including the wheels. So as far as the capacity of the trailer I am fine. My concern was over loading the tires but I got some top of the line Maxxis tires that have a very high weight capacity(thats why they are so big) and I have not had any problems. I have let two people borrow it and they both said is was the smoothest trailer they have towed and I believe that is due to the torsion axle.

I'm in the same situation you are with regards to storage. I'd love to have a set of plans too!

Den

itb76
08-15-2008, 11:27 PM
$50 per month for a 10x20 storage unit for the car (a motorcycle and other odds & ends also fit there). I should have done this 5 years ago; now I can park my street car inside. This is especially important when the snow or tree sap is falling. Unfortunately I still have to work on the car in my garage. The storage is 2 miles from my house.

The trailer sits next to my house.

tom_sprecher
08-16-2008, 10:06 AM
$900 a year for 24' enclosed trailer in fenced lot w/keypad entry in East Cobb.

I need a house on a flat lot, damnit.

Tom Donnelly
08-18-2008, 04:14 PM
Hey Tom,

Where in East Cobb? I'm from Marietta.

Tom

Sandro
08-20-2008, 10:52 PM
sorry guys havent gotten the pdf files. My pdf converter has vanished from my computer. I am taking it out next weekend so I'll get some pics and check the plans since I changed stuff as I went along, then I'll send copies to those that requested.

leggwork
08-23-2008, 11:16 PM
Hi "Sandro",
I'd appreciate a copy of the plans as well.

You can download a free pdf generator at www.cutepdf.com - once installed, you Print to the cutepdf device.

cheers,
bruce

leggwork at yahoo dot com