PDA

View Full Version : WTB drive axles for '84 GTI

Grumpa
08-04-2008, 08:12 AM
I need a complete L/R axle set for my '84 GTI, I'm in the Indy area. Thanks for your time.

dave parker
08-05-2008, 01:18 PM
Jim
Are you looking for new or used?
Dave Parker
WDCR HP#97
2007 MARRS HP Champion

Knestis
08-05-2008, 03:54 PM
I bought a new (not rebuilt) unit from NAPA 2 weeks ago and it looked to be pretty nicely made. For the price (like $95) it seems silly to mess with used ones.

K

Grumpa
08-06-2008, 01:16 PM
Kirk/Dave,
Thanks for your response to my inquiry. I found new shafts online at Advance for $70 each, so I will order two sets. Hate to miss the IT Spec this weekend, but there are other fish to fry.

joeg
08-06-2008, 01:31 PM
I prefer rebuilding (remanufacturing) my own as the quality of rebuilds is uneven at best.

dave parker
08-06-2008, 02:19 PM
I have to agree with joeg about the randomness of quality on axles. I have found with VW axles, if you have a straight viable axle shaft then buy new Lobro/Gkn brand joints and build it yourself. Then you know it is done right. I have seen too many "new" axles that look questionable when you get inside of them.
I have had one of the "new" axles fail and cost me a qualifying session.
cheers
Dave Parker
WDCR HP#97
2007 MARRS HP Champion

Knestis
08-06-2008, 02:33 PM
Kirk/Dave,
Thanks for your response to my inquiry. I found new shafts online at Advance for $70 each, so I will order two sets. Hate to miss the IT Spec this weekend, but there are other fish to fry.

At that price, they are probably not actually "new" but are indeed rebuilt...

K

jay05
08-06-2008, 03:14 PM
Make sure they are new Lobro/Gkn brand joints on the shafts. Last year I put on new Empi's while I had the tranny out and they lasted 2 1/2 race weekends. The half being last years I.T. Fest. Put the old Lobro's and shafts back in that are 8 years old. They were inspected by a driveline shop and the pieces rotated. No problems.

racer_tim
08-07-2008, 09:52 PM
As long as the outer assembly fits the hub. I purchased a couple a while back, and when I went to install them, the flange wouldn't fit in the hub. It took a couple of sets to get it right, but these 1/2 shafts had a "lifetime guarantee" on them, so I played that card as long as I could.

Seriously, I travel with a full set of 1/2 shafts as spares. After the season, the 1/2 shafts and hubs are replaced with the spares, and the old ones are either replaced or rebuilt.

You can rebuild your own 1/2 shafts with kits, grease, boots, etc. but not all of us have the capability/hardware required to replace the bearings in the hubs.