PDA

View Full Version : Barber Registration is OPEN!

Butch Kummer
07-28-2008, 11:44 AM
Labor Day weekend (Aug 29-31) - test day on Friday, qualify/race Saturday, qualify/race Sunday, travel and/or spend time with the family on Monday. More info and sign-up is available on DLBRacing.com.

Hope to see you guys there...

JeffYoung
07-28-2008, 11:51 AM
Thanks Butch! Going to try to make it. Hate the tow, but the track is great.

You bringing your grey?

Labor Day weekend (Aug 29-31) - test day on Friday, qualify/race Saturday, qualify/race Sunday, travel and/or spend time with the family on Monday. More info and sign-up is available on DLBRacing.com.

Hope to see you guys there...

pballance
07-28-2008, 12:45 PM
See ya' at Barber Jeff! You going to make the test day?

I have it on good authority that there will be a NEW driver in ITA at Barber. He should be quick!!!!

Butch Kummer
07-28-2008, 01:26 PM
You bringing your grey?

Took me a second to figure out what you meant (greyhound), but no. If you read all the stipulations the track puts on us (we reproduced the contract's "Exhibit B" in the Supps for your edification and reading pleasure) you'll see that Barber Motorsports Park is decidedly NOT pet friendly!

BTW - we now have two rescue greyhounds. Great dogs!

tom_sprecher
07-28-2008, 04:55 PM
IIRC there is a $50 withdrawal fee. Is there a $50 early bird special? ;)

trhoppe
07-28-2008, 06:31 PM
See ya' at Barber Jeff! You going to make the test day?

I have it on good authority that there will be a NEW driver in ITA at Barber. He should be quick!!!!

Share! Who is that gonna be?

JeffYoung
07-28-2008, 08:33 PM
Oh yeah..forgot about all the Barber rules.....well, as hot as it will probably be, maybe not a bad thing. My greyhound goes to VIR and that's about it...he hates the heat so CMP is tough.

Congrats on the new addition. They truly are great dogs.

Took me a second to figure out what you meant (greyhound), but no. If you read all the stipulations the track puts on us (we reproduced the contract's "Exhibit B" in the Supps for your edification and reading pleasure) you'll see that Barber Motorsports Park is decidedly NOT pet friendly!

BTW - we now have two rescue greyhounds. Great dogs!

pballance
07-28-2008, 08:43 PM
Share! Who is that gonna be?

I will let him share. I think he will post in this thread very soon. :happy204:

Yellowhammer
07-30-2008, 08:15 AM

oh no.... it's not one of those prima donna Sports-Racer types is it?? :lol::lol::D

tbtapper
07-30-2008, 10:43 AM
I'm thinking that Barber may be doable for me after all. Couple of questions for those already been.

1. Heard some prior comments about bills from the track for "damage" to the track if you have an off or whatever. Wouldn't want to leave the track with some huge lien on my future.

2. Do they "allow" staying in your trailer as I usually do. I don't consider it camping but they might. Having to get a motel would be a "burden".

3. Any other anomalies that make Barber different from RA/VIR/CMP.

Thanks, phew, tires, diesel, regular recuring body work, cost of food this is getting a little tight.

Drag about the Hounds, I sure loved having Butch's as a neighbor at CMP. I had planned to get one when we built our new place but I guess I was in lala about how large they really are. We got a Boykin Spanniel instead he fits in the Miata a little better and I love hime more than air.

Travers
ITS19

chuck baader
07-30-2008, 11:33 AM
Barber will allow the damage of 50 square yards of sod...then you get a bill. If you hit the guardrail, it it gets more expensive, as they are three tall, and Mr. Barber does not like dented guardrails. Solution ...stay on the track:D

Camping is allowed and the cost is 25/weekend. Power is 25/day. If you use their facilities..showers, etc., you should pay to camp, IMHO. Chuck

GBugg
07-30-2008, 08:09 PM
I'm in. I didn't see a separate registration for the practice day, but I plan to be there! Gotta learn to drive a FWD! :D

JeffYoung
07-30-2008, 08:12 PM
True, all of that. Also, don't mess up the pavement in the paddock. More potential $$$.

Barber will allow the damage of 50 square yards of sod...then you get a bill. If you hit the guardrail, it it gets more expensive, as they are three tall, and Mr. Barber does not like dented guardrails. Solution ...stay on the track:D

Camping is allowed and the cost is 25/weekend. Power is 25/day. If you use their facilities..showers, etc., you should pay to camp, IMHO. Chuck

pballance
07-31-2008, 10:32 AM
oh no.... it's not one of those prima donna Sports-Racer types is it??

YUP! and since he has now announced it, WELCOME George Bugg to the world of IT racing. No more sissy wings and carbon composite aero for you. We got's fenders! :)

Welcome George :happy204: and good luck at Barber, I will be sure and wave you by :blink:

ps: Tom there is your answer :), another ITA CRXsi that has a good build/race history!

Yellowhammer
07-31-2008, 12:04 PM
Pics or Ban! :D

/threadjack.

trhoppe
07-31-2008, 03:29 PM
YUP! and since he has now announced it, WELCOME George Bugg to the world of IT racing. No more sissy wings and carbon composite aero for you. We got's fenders!

Welcome George and good luck at Barber, I will be sure and wave you by

ps: Tom there is your answer , another ITA CRXsi that has a good build/race history!

Sweet! More the merrier, should be a good time.

I'm trying to decide whether to run the test day too or see the track for the first time IRL during qualifying :)

-Tom

chuck baader
07-31-2008, 06:13 PM
Welcome George...more the merrier:eclipsee_steering: No more wings and things? Chuck

GBugg
08-01-2008, 08:09 AM
Welcome George...more the merrier. No more wings and things? Chuck

Thanks Chuck. Finally had to admit that I can't keep up with the DSR crowd. For half the money, I found a really nice car. Now the only excuse I have is the driver. And I'm really looking forward to working on that part! :eclipsee_steering:

DavidM
08-01-2008, 04:14 PM
What's up with the $50 charge if you cancel after the Tuesday before the race? Atlanta region events have always been full refund if you don't show. The supps talk about the cost of the track, but I don't see how that affects whether a full refund is given or not. I don't think the track rental is based on the number of cars that registered so it's not like the price goes up if somebody registers, but doesn't show.

I don't think anybody ever has the intention of canceling right before the weekend, but stuff happens. Typically it's not something good that would keep somebody from attending so you're now adding insult to injury by knocking them $50 for not showing. Just bad PR IMO.

David

JeffYoung
08-01-2008, 04:21 PM
Exactly. I could get attacked by a mob of angry meth addicts again on the way to the track!

Hope to see you guys down there David.

Jeff

Butch Kummer
08-01-2008, 04:46 PM
At last year's event Alabama Region ended up refunding $11,000 in entry fees to people that chose not to go out on Saturday because of the rain. The Saturday evening social (which was quite nice for those that attended) was already committed to based on pre-entries, and the refunds caused the region to go from making a reasonable profit on the weekend to barely breaking even.

While Atlanta Region has the resources to withstand such a hit, Alabama Region decidedly does not. This refund policy is the best compromise I could negotiate between the two regions, and it's simply an effort to have the racers put some skin in the game rather than getting up Saturday morning and deciding to re-arrange their sock drawer rather than going to the track.

This will NOT be the policy at any other Atlanta Region events and if things go well this year I'll re-open negotiations on the policy for 2009. I agree it's not "user friendly", but it's simply part of the price we (currently) pay for having an event at Barber Motorsports Park.

JeffYoung
08-01-2008, 05:04 PM
Reasonable. Thank for the explanation Butch. I understand Barber is a "unique" deal.

At last year's event Alabama Region ended up refunding $11,000 in entry fees to people that chose not to go out on Saturday because of the rain. The Saturday evening social (which was quite nice for those that attended) was already committed to based on pre-entries, and the refunds caused the region to go from making a reasonable profit on the weekend to barely breaking even.

While Atlanta Region has the resources to withstand such a hit, Alabama Region decidedly does not. This refund policy is the best compromise I could negotiate between the two regions, and it's simply an effort to have the racers put some skin in the game rather than getting up Saturday morning and deciding to re-arrange their sock drawer rather than going to the track.

This will NOT be the policy at any other Atlanta Region events and if things go well this year I'll re-open negotiations on the policy for 2009. I agree it's not "user friendly", but it's simply part of the price we (currently) pay for having an event at Barber Motorsports Park.

BlueStreak
08-03-2008, 01:59 PM
Alright George! Welcome to the world of IT, can't wait to see you run at Barber!

DavidM
08-04-2008, 03:49 PM
Thanks for the explanation Butch. Do you know if those people that got refunds had already gone through registration or not? For instance, were they there Friday and had gone through registration Friday night, but then decided not to race on Saturday? Seems like if you had already gone through registration, but then decided not to race on Saturday because of the rain that you should not get a refund. I raced Saturday (more like motor boated around), but if I hadn't I wouldn't have expected a refund.

David

tom_sprecher
08-04-2008, 04:04 PM
Sorry, Butch, and for what it's worth your explaination gives reason to what can happen when events don't go as planned.

Butch Kummer
08-04-2008, 05:07 PM
I don't know the exact numbers, but a majority of the refunds went to people that had already signed in for the event. In the past the Atlanta Region policy (and most of SEDIV in my experience) has been to provide a full refund if the car never turns a wheel on the track. We never asked why a person didn't run on Saturday or Sunday, we just automatically issued a refund (or a partial in the case of a double event) if no times were recorded for those days.

For reasons stated above, we cannot do that for this event.

toddgreene
08-04-2008, 11:22 PM
Seems like if you had already gone through registration, but then decided not to race on Saturday because of the rain that you should not get a refund. I raced Saturday (more like motor boated around), but if I hadn't I wouldn't have expected a refund.

David

Although from the AL Region, my unbiased opinion is that this makes perfect sense.
The Clubs' weekend costs and overhead are the same when people withdraw.

Todd

Cobrar05
08-05-2008, 11:45 AM
Most organEYEzations don't charge if you don't race. I think its one of the things that keeps customers coming back. If you don't turn a wheel on the race track, most SCCA regions, NASA regions and so forth give you your money back with the idea you appreciate it and spend your money with them again soon.

In today's world of rising travel costs and falling attendance numbers customer service is key. If a guy goes thru registration and then gets a phone call that his daughter broke her leg playing soccer or he finds a mechanical issue he doesn't want to race with or it rains and guys can't afford the added risk of wrecking their cars, its precedent for them to get refunded.

In special situations I won't be put off by different refund rules. But it is something that will work against the region when competing with other regions.

cfullgraf
08-08-2008, 01:04 PM
Hey George, welcome to the IT ranks and have fun at Barber.

The only major trouble I had transitioning from CSR to a FWD ITC car was if I locked up the front under heavy braking. It took me a while to learn to get off the Honda's brakes to get the engine turning again. No more easing off the brakes like until directional control returned like in the CSR.

Until I learned, I made lots of excursions for dirt and sand samples.

GBugg
08-08-2008, 01:50 PM
Thanks Chuck. I hope your parts come in so you can come down and play!

SPiFF
08-09-2008, 04:33 PM
At last year's event Alabama Region ended up refunding $11,000 in entry fees to people that chose not to go out on Saturday because of the rain.

I asked for that refund and was turned down. :(