PDA

View Full Version : I jumped off the deep end

moe_1200
07-27-2008, 12:54 AM
Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to racing. I love racing and have wanted to get involved for years, the only thing stopping me was I didn't have the money or the opportunity to really get my dream started. However even with the horrible economy right now I've become lucky enough to get a little spare change to make it happen. I recently purchased a 93 Ford Probe GT that was just the topic of a thread on here. Apparently I can't post a link but if you go to specific models>ford it will be in there. That same car that benspeed was referring to is now sitting in my garage.

I am planning to use the car in ITS as soon as I complete the drivers school next spring. I'm in the Great Lakes Division and I'm hoping they will be doing a one weekend double school again next year. I know this car will not be a front runner especially with a novice behind the wheel but my main goal right now is to gain experience. If I finish my first few races in last place I will walk away with a smile as long as I don't smash up my fenders or more importantly the fenders of other drivers on the track.

Being new to this I would love to get some advice, tips and pointers on what to do and what not to do as a novice.

924Guy
07-27-2008, 07:46 AM
Welcome to the party! There's actually a guy, a fellow novice, here at Waterford Hills who's started with an ITS Probe - built it himself IIRC. I'll have to hunt his contact info down, try and get him in touch.

#1 goal (WRT race prep) is to make that car reliable/bulletproof; you won't become OK, let alone good or fast, until you gain experience. You can't gain experience if your car can't stay on track turning laps. So don't worry about making it fast, just make it solid. Sure, put on a decent set of shocks/springs as you can afford, but don't worry about having a race-built hotrod motor - just worry about making sure the motor you have will stay running. It'll take a year or two before you can put the extra power to use anyway.

If you can drive the car on the street, even a little bit, this will help, too... just debugging issues, etc...

benspeed
07-27-2008, 08:05 AM
Way to go, MOE! I was pretty curious about that car and am glad it's going to run with SCCA. It looked very well prepped for the $$ - hope it proves reliable and quick.

Spend your budget on maintenance and entry fees - leave the car alone until you get a bunch of seat time - then make it scream!

JeffYoung
07-27-2008, 09:48 AM
Welcome! This is more fun than I can put in words....IF you manage teh $$$ and frustration level.

Read Vaughan's post below and treat it as Gospel...lol...seriously. Your first few years you won't be competitive. Drive hard, do your best, but focus on seat time and learning. To do that, you have to have a car that runs, so reliability is key.

E-mail me at [email protected]. I know a guy who raced MX6s extensively back in the day, same car/chassis as yours I think. I'll hook you up with him.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Jeff

Welcome to the party! There's actually a guy, a fellow novice, here at Waterford Hills who's started with an ITS Probe - built it himself IIRC. I'll have to hunt his contact info down, try and get him in touch.

#1 goal (WRT race prep) is to make that car reliable/bulletproof; you won't become OK, let alone good or fast, until you gain experience. You can't gain experience if your car can't stay on track turning laps. So don't worry about making it fast, just make it solid. Sure, put on a decent set of shocks/springs as you can afford, but don't worry about having a race-built hotrod motor - just worry about making sure the motor you have will stay running. It'll take a year or two before you can put the extra power to use anyway.

If you can drive the car on the street, even a little bit, this will help, too... just debugging issues, etc...

lateapex911
07-27-2008, 09:48 AM
Welcome to the madness! Drive, drive, drive!

Eagle7
07-27-2008, 10:27 AM
Welcome. What's your name and where are you located?

moe_1200
07-27-2008, 03:29 PM
Thanks for the input guys, any and all advice is good for me right now. The car was actually built by Deans Performance in Chicago. The owner built it for himself and from the look of his customer's cars he takes a lot of pride and care in his work.

My name is Trevor Martin by the way, I live up in the northeast corner of Indiana so i'm in the Fort Wayne region.

ITS5GB
07-27-2008, 08:45 PM
You should consider running it at Waterford Hills next year. You want seat time....you'll get it! And your Waterford license is fully recognized by the SCCA. School will cost you about $300. Memberships and licensing another hundred and a half but....we race 6 weekends out of the year, 1 qualifying session and 3 races all for $140 entry fee! Plus, Firiday practice is 4 1/2 hour sessions at $20 a piece! Most of our members also are SCCA members and run regionals and nationals. There are usually 10 to 14 ITS cars and we run with ITA so our group is usually right around 20 to 22 cars. If you prepay all 6 races you only pay for 5! It's probably about a 2-1/2 hour tow for you. You should come check it out. Next weekend is our 50th Anniversary weekend. We still have 2 race weekends left, at the end of August and September. Like Vaugn said (BTW Vaughn, nice wins this weekend in ITB!) there is another guy running a Probe here and a guy that used to race a pretty competitive MX6 you could collaborate with. In any event, enjoy!

RacerBill
07-28-2008, 07:55 AM
Trevor: Welcome to the madness! Yes, it is possible to have a lot of fun, and do it without spending a whole lot of money ( 'a whole lot' is very relative!).

So, you are from the Angola, IN area, eh? The IT Spectacular is coming up in about a week and a half. It is one of the premier gatherings of IT racers in the country. Why don't you try and hook up with someone from your area who is going to be there. Guarantee you will learn a whole lot of do's and don'ts. Worse comes to worse, you can sign in on my crew (looks like I am going to be short handed).

Good luck!

tom91ita
07-28-2008, 12:29 PM
trevor,

i am fort wayne region as well except i live near grand rapids. get the car to the local autocrosses to learn some basic car control.

and i second the comment about waterford hills. it might be easier to get their license and use for scca.

and gingerman near south haven, MI has open track test & tune nights where no license is needed. some weekends as well.

and you might want to try and get over to the IT fest as crew to see the event at mid-ohio.

tom, who needs to see if he still has a free crew spot....

tom91ita
07-28-2008, 12:35 PM
i have a sent a request that you be added as crew. check your PM's.

jumbojimbo
07-28-2008, 01:09 PM
I'd suggest running a PDX or two this year if you can. (Aug 8 Mid Ohio or Aug 29 at Nelson Ledges).

That way when you go to the school you'll already be used to the speed. Somewhat. Plus you'll be able to say "back when I ran at Nelson Ledges...".

jim

tom91ita
07-28-2008, 02:59 PM
I'd suggest running a PDX or two this year if you can. (Aug 8 Mid Ohio or Aug 29 at Nelson Ledges).

That way when you go to the school you'll already be used to the speed. Somewhat. Plus you'll be able to say "back when I ran at Nelson Ledges...".

jim

i like Jim's suggestion. PDX before IT Spectacular & stay to "crew" and watch the races! :happy204:

moe_1200
07-28-2008, 11:00 PM
Unfortunately I don't think i'm gonna be able to make it to Mid-ohio next weekend but I may be able to get up to Nelson Ledges. Being able to crew would really give me a bunch of help in knowing what I need to get and do for next year.

I've run test and tune at Gingerman before in my street car and that actually helped to really seal the deal for me on getting involved. I think I was grinning ear to ear for a week after that.

When is the school at Waterford Hills held? I'm assuming there's a classroom session, followed by a ride along with an instructor and then they let you loose on your own right? Is it a 1 weekend school to get the license?