PDA

View Full Version : Saturn shifter

Grumpa
07-26-2008, 08:22 PM
I bought a '98 Saturn SC1 w/ a 5 speed for a daily driver. The shifter is rather balky, I assume due to age and mileage (187K). What is the best remedy to correct the problem? Thanks for your time.

JLawton
07-27-2008, 06:38 AM
Unfortunately you can't but the shifter parts seperatly. You have to buy the whole unit. I "think" the dealer is the only place that has them. But check the cables and linkage for binding as well.......

924Guy
07-27-2008, 07:49 AM
Yeah, I seem to recall that Jeff's car went through some shifter issues before the bushings in the linkage were replaced... seem to recall one popping out, in fact. Think they made some up, maybe SPS sells them?

Also, doesn't the shifter assembly bolt onto the top of the trans, and is subject to wear? Might consider popping it off, checking, maybe lubricating it?

JLawton
07-28-2008, 07:28 AM
Yeah, the linkage itself is also not replaceable. You have to buy the whole cap off the top of the tranny. The good news is it fixes everything (there's plastic parts inside), the bad news is it was $160 (or so).

No cheap fixes. Sorry!!

CRallo
07-28-2008, 10:40 AM
it is possible in those cars for the shifter cable(s) to get bent where they attach to the shifter. Makes the shifter feel like complete garbage...

easy to inspect if you pull the center console

planet6racing
07-28-2008, 05:34 PM
Yeah, the linkage itself is also not replaceable. You have to buy the whole cap off the top of the tranny. The good news is it fixes everything (there's plastic parts inside), the bad news is it was $160 (or so).

No cheap fixes. Sorry!!

Huh?

The shifter cables can be purchased from Rock Auto for about $80 (They're $205 at the dealer) (don't ask why I know all this so well). The connections to the shift knob, upon which the shifting linkage pivots, come with the cables ready for installation.

For the linkage on transmission, the cables snap onto these and have the fittings already installed. Inside this cap, the shift linkage has dentents and a sprung ball which engages these, holding it into position. It is doubtful that this is where the problem is as it is well lubricated and not really in the debris path. The only plastic parts (in mine, anyway) are those for the reverse lockout. (can you tell I've been inside this recently?)

You could try spraying some lubricant into the shift cables at either end to see if this smooths out the shifting. If so, replace the cables. Else, it might be the synchros, which means either rev match or double clutch.

JLawton
07-29-2008, 07:04 AM
Huh?

Sorry, guess I didn't explain well enough.

The linkage where it goes into the tranny. The levers and pins. I had plenty of slop in all of them recently. Replacing did help.

SATURNRACER
08-02-2008, 03:27 PM
I used to sell these a while back and they work great it's a modified a shifter,
Shorten the shaft above the pivot point,
Lengthen the shaft below the pivot point,
Raising the pivot point with a plexi spacer block, (.5 plexi block)
Lengthen one of the cable arms, and adding roller bearings. (thats the swivel arm on the shaft you have to re drill the shaft and remount it.)
Greatly shortens the throw and way better feel.
Of course we do not have one on the race car!!!!