PDA

View Full Version : SS eligibility

backformore
07-21-2008, 08:53 AM
This may not be the place for this, but I bet someone knows the answer. I am trying to confirm what I believe to be true.

A Showroom Stock car that is older than 10 years is no longer eligible for national competition but can still be run as SS in regional events? True or not true.

Thanks

JoshS
07-21-2008, 11:32 AM
This may not be the place for this, but I bet someone knows the answer. I am trying to confirm what I believe to be true.

A Showroom Stock car that is older than 10 years is no longer eligible for national competition but can still be run as SS in regional events? True or not true.

Thanks

There's nothing in the rulebook that would allow them into SS at regional races, although, of course, a region can always create a supplemental rule that would include them.

But you know that it's not a hard 10-year limit anymore, right? Starting in '08, cars older than 10 years can still compete if a newer version of that same model is still within the limit. In other words, a '96 Dodge Neon is still allowed this year because the 1998 Dodge Neon is still within its eligibility and it's on the same spec line.

"Cars will be eligible for competition from the time they are classified until the end of the tenth calendar year of competition of the latest model year listed on the specification line."

gran racing
07-21-2008, 12:06 PM
Is the '95 Neon allowed?

JoshS
07-21-2008, 12:20 PM
Is the '95 Neon allowed?Yes, the spec line lists '95-'99, and all will be legal until the '99 is no longer eligible.

CRallo
07-21-2008, 01:30 PM
In other words, a '96 Dodge Neon is still allowed this year because the 2008 Dodge Neon is still within its eligibility and it's on the same spec line.

2008 neon? i'm assuming you ment 1998?

Yes, the spec line lists '95-'99, and all will be legal until the '99 is no longer eligible.

which if I interpret the rules correctly will be the end of next year...
Edit: i mean this year! doh!! sorry

JoshS
07-21-2008, 01:34 PM
2008 neon? i'm assuming you ment 1998?
Oops! Fairly significant typo there. Yes, you are right, I edited my post to correct it.

backformore
07-21-2008, 04:14 PM
OK, here's the next question. If the last year listed is '99, is that car legal in '09 or is '08 the tenth year of eligibility counting the year '99 ('99,'00,'01,'02,'03,'04,'05,'06,'07,'08 is ten years)?

JoshS
07-21-2008, 04:24 PM
OK, here's the next question. If the last year listed is '99, is that car legal in '09 or is '08 the tenth year of eligibility counting the year '99 ('99,'00,'01,'02,'03,'04,'05,'06,'07,'08 is ten years)?
The way I read it, 2008 is the last year.

However, the June Fastrack had an item that has apparently been submitted to the BOD for approval, that would remove this limitation altogether. The new wording would be simple: if it's listed, it's legal. Then, I assume, it'd be at the discretion of the ad-hoc committee to expire listings, instead of being a codified rule.

The proposal reads:
Only those cars listed each year are eligible to compete. No updating or backdating of cars, models, specifications, and/or components thereof shall be permitted. Additions and deletions of automobiles shall be at the discretion of the SCCA. The vehicle identification number (VIN) shall correspond with the model automobile classified. VIN plates or stampings shall remain in place. There must be a minimum of two (2) VIN plates or stampings that correspond with the model automobile classified. The tenth (10) position letter of the VIN determines the model year of the car (“W” = 1998, “X” 1999, “Y” = 2000, “1” = 2001, “2” = 2002, “3” = 2003, etc.).

CRallo
07-21-2008, 07:35 PM
The way I read it, 2008 is the last year.

However, the June Fastrack had an item that has apparently been submitted to the BOD for approval, that would remove this limitation altogether. The new wording would be simple: if it's listed, it's legal. Then, I assume, it'd be at the discretion of the ad-hoc committee to expire listings, instead of being a codified rule.

The proposal reads:

my turn to type wrong. yes 2008 is the last year the "first gen" neon will be eligible in SS. In my defense (lol) you confused me with the 1998/2008 bit, to make your statement correct it should read 1999.

I'd like to point out that the above statement regarding a possible rule change for SS is not true. Josh, go back and read the fastrack again and look at what is being crossed out. It is not the section with the 10 year rule. This does however eliminate a some wording that was in the rules because of the (former) intent of showroom stock. I'm assuming that wording was there from back when showroom stock was just that.

JoshS
07-21-2008, 10:59 PM
I'd like to point out that the above statement regarding a possible rule change for SS is not true. Josh, go back and read the fastrack again and look at what is being crossed out. It is not the section with the 10 year rule. This does however eliminate a some wording that was in the rules because of the (former) intent of showroom stock. I'm assuming that wording was there from back when showroom stock was just that.
Huh. Strange the way they published that. They ignored most of the 2nd paragraph, which is the part that contains the 10-year rule. I guess you're right, therefore, that part will stay in, but it's not particularly clear, is it?

CRallo
07-22-2008, 07:27 AM
no and it's annoying having to read stuff that is crossed out to see what they deleted but I'm getting the hang of it...

it also annoying having to read through every fastrack to see what changes have been made. I initially assumed that the online GCR would be updated monthly with these changes. I'm sure there is a good reason, but it threw me off at first.

John Nesbitt
07-22-2008, 09:43 AM
no and it's annoying having to read stuff that is crossed out to see what they deleted but I'm getting the hang of it...

it also annoying having to read through every fastrack to see what changes have been made. I initially assumed that the online GCR would be updated monthly with these changes. I'm sure there is a good reason, but it threw me off at first.

The Club posts cumulative editions of the GCR. The latest is from June.

Also, it posts every month a Master Technical Bulletin, which groups all the Fastrack changes, by class.

You can find both on the SCCA website. Navigate to Club Racing, then Cars and Rules.