PDA

View Full Version : Summit Point - Labor Day Weekend Races

gran racing
07-18-2008, 09:49 AM
I've only attended this event twice, but have always considered this to be one of the most fun raceweekends that I have attended. Having Washington DC so close by also helps.

Who is planning on attending the event?

I know the paddock gets packed for this event with over 300 cars and trying to find a spot not extremely far from everything or deep in the woods can be tough. I'll probably be arriving Sat. morning. I'm trying to convince Gulick and a few others to attend as well. Greg, since you'll be missing out on the IT Fest, why not go down with us for this one?

Might someone be willing to save myself and possibly another non-local a paddock spot?

spnkzss
07-18-2008, 09:57 AM
I'm sure we can figure something out. You can also get in contact with the ITB rep and stay in their corral which is on the pavement. If not, let me know, I might be able to squeeze you in with 2 ITA and 1 ITC car.

I will be back in the woods. It's cooler and we have power back there now. It hasn't been too hard lately to find paddock spots.

This will be my 6th Labor Day racing, and my 17th straight Labor Day weekend at Summit. Awesome event.

JamesB
07-18-2008, 10:47 AM
Ill be back in the woods with mr yip. I am driving that event, always looking forward to it.

gran racing
07-18-2008, 11:29 AM
When you guys say the back woods, where abouts is that? All I can think of is behind the paddock area where people camp - really in the woods.

erlrich
07-18-2008, 12:00 PM
When you guys say the back woods, where abouts is that? All I can think of is behind the paddock area where people camp - really in the woods.
Dave - here's a link to the paddock map: http://www.wdcr-scca.com/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=bsLeOu2yQ40%3d&tabid=74&mid=2498 the area they're talking about is at the top of the map, and is the wooded area just to the right of the paved paddock as you drive in. It really isn't that bad, you just need to make sure you either a) get indoors before dark, or b) build a big campfire and don't stray too far from it. Some of the creatures that wander around after dark back there can be a little scary :D

Then again, from what I hear some of those creatures are attracted to camp fires, so I'm not so sure you'll be safe even then :shrug:

Hope you can convince some of your ITA guns to come on down - nobody down here seems to have anything for our top ITA dog, maybe one of you can do something with him.

EV
07-29-2008, 08:47 AM
It really isn't that bad, you just need to make sure you either a) get indoors before dark, or b) build a big campfire and don't stray too far from it. Some of the creatures that wander around after dark back there can be a little scary :D

Then again, from what I hear some of those creatures are attracted to camp fires, so I'm not so sure you'll be safe even then :shrug:Some of those creatures are the drivers... :)

erlrich
07-29-2008, 12:48 PM
Most of those creatures are the drivers... :)
Sorry, I just had to fix that one...

JamesB
07-29-2008, 01:24 PM
I have yet to see a creature that wasn't a driver.

Either way, I never did mind the woods, shady, a bit cooler then the paved area. And most of all laid back.

gran racing
07-29-2008, 02:03 PM
Especially since I'll be bringing my 6 mo old, the wooded spots will be ideal. I should have thought about that before.

JamesB
07-29-2008, 02:16 PM
Its shady, there is actual power back there now, so really I find it a great place to be.

gran racing
07-29-2008, 03:13 PM
James, for the Labor Day event, how quickly do all the spots typically fill up? Or is it possible to arrive Friday evening and find spots still?

JamesB
07-29-2008, 03:44 PM
Yes, you can still find spots. But go back to my PM and follow my advice about space in the woods since we setup on Thursday night.

Gregg
07-30-2008, 04:37 PM
Yes, you can still find spots. But go back to my PM and follow my advice about space in the woods since we setup on Thursday night.
Yes, Dave can contact me for a spot in the ITA(*) corral if he wants, however, if this year's event mimics the numbers from last year, finding a spot in the rear paddock will not be an issue at all--even if you arrive Saturday AM.

For those that don't know, the MARRS Labor Day event is a single-sanction event. This keeps the "license keepers" away and (oddly) makes for safer and better racing. It also makes for a slightly less crowded paddock.

JamesB
07-31-2008, 09:36 AM
Gregg, last year I consider the drop in reg due to the single sanction. This year I think you will find higher registration as many like me running a partial season are choosing the double as one of the must have races. And I am a plan ahead kind of person, so I like to know where to park when I get there. Plus Dave can then see all that is craptacular about my ITB car.