PDA

View Full Version : Car Comparison

GBugg
07-14-2008, 11:50 AM
I hope to be in the market for an ITA car very soon. Can some of you folks help me out with a comparision? How does a noob tell which of these cars might be more competitve in ITA? :shrug:

http://www.improvedtouring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24344

or

http://www.improvedtouring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24325

pballance
07-14-2008, 12:24 PM
rut-row, sediv ITA needs to look out for this guy. From DSR to ITA :shrug:

Good luck on whatever you find George Welcome to the fray :happy204:

lateapex911
07-14-2008, 02:04 PM
Interesting. FWD, eh??

Well, if you're set on CRXs (not a bad choice!), Bothas car has a good reputation. But that's just one factor, I'd want to see the cars in person to decide.

BlueStreak
07-14-2008, 02:17 PM
George, I see you as more of an ITA Miata guy than an ITA Honda guy - but, if you're really itchin to go FWD, I know where you can get a great deal on an ITB VW:happy204:

JeffYoung
07-14-2008, 02:33 PM
I'd look REAL HARD at the cage. All CRXs can be a front running platform in A, and most everything you can swap out easily. The cage, not so much. That's a foundational piece.

On a used race car, that -- status of the cage -- is the first and foremost thing I would look at.

GBugg
07-14-2008, 03:22 PM
I asked around some and am hearing that the CRX is a competetive car in ITA. I'd rather drive a RWD, but I want to make sure the car isn't an excuse.

JeffYoung
07-14-2008, 03:25 PM
Decent RWD choices in A are Miata (better than decent actually); MR2 Mk. II; 240SX (better than decent as well).

Lots of 240s out there built for sale. Miatas fewer off but they exist. MR2s are new to A (they were in S) and I only know of a couple.

Xian
07-14-2008, 04:02 PM
I asked around some and am hearing that the CRX is a competetive car in ITA. I'd rather drive a RWD, but I want to make sure the car isn't an excuse.

The CRX is a competitive car mainly b/c they used to be the lightest of the Honda options... b/c they were the lightest they were the fastest and everybody who really wanted to win built one. Are they competitive b/c everybody built one or did everybody build one b/c they're competitve? :shrug:

Honestly, the CRX is a great choice as is the Integra. The Miata is an excellent option if you're looking for something "not" FWD. Nobody has tried out a full build ITA 2nd Gen MR-2 but they look great on paper. Not a ton of parts out there for them so you'd be blazing your own trail to a certain degree and there'd be a chance that the car could be an excuse. Similar sort of thing with the 240SX. There are a few fast examples out there but not a ton. They've also got a bit of a reputation for relative un-reliability vs. the Honda's and Miata.

My $0.02 would be to buy a SM with a great cage and convert it to ITA if you'd prefer RWD. The FWD answer is either the CRX or Teg... whichever you like best. They both have good points and can win with the right driver at the right track.

Christian

R2 Racing
07-14-2008, 04:27 PM
Well, if you're set on CRXs (not a bad choice!), Bothas car has a good reputation. But that's just one factor, I'd want to see the cars in person to decide.
That red car IS NOT Colin Botha's car. It's his old roomate's car, Jamie Quaderer. It was built at about the same time Colin built his old dark grey CRX that met its untimely demise at Road Atlanta during the '06 ARRC. It was pretty much built with/by Colin though as they were living together at the time. So consider it Colin's sister car. Colin did drive it a couple of times last year in Honda Challenge with real good results. Jamie hasn't raced it in probably three years.

They both appear to be very good cars with many of what I would consider to be "the right parts". I guess for me too it would come down to the quality of the chassis and the cage. But one is listed $2100 cheaper than the other.

If looking for RWD in ITA, I too would look at a 1.8 or 1.6L Miata or a 240SX. They can both be very competitive in the right hands on the right track.

lateapex911
07-14-2008, 04:42 PM
There's a pole sitting 240 for sale up here in the New England area. Jeremy Shepard owns it, but being a daddy is keeping him away from the track, so it's available. They are pretty expensive to set up, and have some unique tricks, so buying a built one with a history is the way to go. Bob Stretch dominated the ARRCs for his until he lost a very close race with an Integra. (Talking with him later he admitted his prep was last minute and not up to snuff on the car that year.)

They can haul the mail.

http://72.167.111.130/forums/showthread.php?t=24144

JeffYoung
07-14-2008, 05:53 PM
David Montgomery on this board (great gu) has Bob's old car. Talk to him/e-mail him about 240s, or try Tristan Smith (an occasional poster here) and Earl Richards. All great guys, with well done 240s.

Car can be fast and looks like a blast to drive.