PDA

View Full Version : Heartland Park - ONE MORE TIME

mustanghammer
07-08-2008, 12:46 AM
Once in 2008 was not enough!

A Restricted Regional for Improved Touring has been added to the Labor Day Double National at Heartland Park Topeka - August 30 to September 1! So now you can take another crack at the HPT 2.5 mile Run Offs configuration this year. Can you lower the track record for your class? You'll have two chances!

The format will be 3 track sessions for IT- 1 Qualifying Session and 2 Races. The first race will set the grid for the second race. IT sessions will be run on Saturday and Sunday. Since National racing will continue on Monday, you'll be able to stick around and drink some beer Sunday night. Then use Labor day for a nice, leisurely trip home.

All GCR and Mid Div IT classes are invited - ITR, ITS, ITA, ITB, ITC, IT7 and ITE.

Make space on your calendar to attend this event! More information to follow - online registration will be open soon.

buldogge
07-08-2008, 10:03 AM
Scott... Will these races be added to the MidAm calendar or are they non-points races??

mustanghammer
07-08-2008, 10:36 AM
IF points are to be paid it would be for the IT Tour Championship. I am checking on that.

mustanghammer
07-08-2008, 12:05 PM
Both of the races will pay IT Tour Points.

buldogge
07-08-2008, 04:57 PM
Excellent...I may be in then.

Did Rocky confirm the points situation?

SLUF
07-08-2008, 08:54 PM
Wondering about IT Tour points as well! Can we confirm this or not? I had not planned on any more out of town (St. Louis) events this year and it may be required attendance for us. I'll fire off an email to Rocky too.

SLUF
07-08-2008, 09:18 PM
I also asked Norm too about confirming it for an IT Tour status.

mustanghammer
07-09-2008, 12:22 AM
I checked with the KVRG BOD chairman and the racechair regarding the points status for this event before posting this information. Should be spot on.

SLUF
07-09-2008, 10:47 AM
It appears we may not have everyone talking on the same page. I received an email from Norm Floyd about the event and its point status. He is unaware of any IT Tour being added to this weekend. It may be a good idea to get some sort of "official" announcement or notice up on midiv.org as to the correct points status of this addition to the weekend.

mustanghammer
07-09-2008, 11:25 AM
Will do

SLUF
07-10-2008, 03:56 PM
I received an email from Rocky today about this, indeed, being a points paying double "IT Tour" event.

Just curious as to why this was added this late in the year? We planned our schedule very early this year and do not have a lot left over for travel as we chased IT Tour points at Memphis and Hallett. I know I should be happy there is another chance to run and really appreciate the organizer's adding it. But somehow I get a little discouraged that Trey's IT7 points lead may be for naught if we cannot attend due to school and budget concerns when we planned as carefully as we did for the IT7 class this year. I apologize if I seem a little selfish over this. I guess we'll just have to wrap up IT7 at Gateway and not worry about it.

Thanks to the organizer's again for getting us IT racers a chance to participate with a double national weekend. Any opportunity to race and increase the IT presence at such events is a welcome step.

PSherm
07-10-2008, 11:28 PM
My guess is they need more income to pay Ray's track fees, what with National race attendance being down this year..... :rolleyes:

mustanghammer
07-11-2008, 12:41 AM
SLUF,

Yep - you confirmed what I had been told a week ago about the points. Good to hear from Rocky too.

Sorry this doesn't fit your schedule. However, looking at the points the IT7 Championship appears to be Trey's to lose. He needs to win at St Louis and maybe go to MAM to lock it up. So I'm not sure the HPT event hurts you. I guess Charles Casteel or Lyn Lamb could catch up but they will have to earn it. After all I am sure that Matt Rivard, Howard Duncan, Jim Wyatt and myself will try to keep them out of victory circle at HPT.

PSerm,

The inclusion of IT at the Double National came about as a result of several factors in my opinion. First, IT really supported the Superior Chevrolet Two for the Road double regional - IT was the biggest group. Then there is the fact that HPT is not going to be the Runoff's track after this year so the significance of this event changed for National Drivers. Finally it is the economy and the price of gas. KVRG is just trying to include every possible revenue stream for this event.

The June event was very good - it was a Regional event that did not lose money. The Double National should also be a success. In this economy having a flush racing operation is a big deal and very important for the future of our sport.

So guys and gals, sign up and race your car. HPT is a fun track and the facility is second to none. Let's show KVRG - again - that IT drivers will support events at HPT. Hope to see you there!

PSherm
07-11-2008, 12:33 PM
My comment was a bit tongue-in-cheek.... :D

I was there for the 2 for the Road, and yes, IT was well subscribed. I just wish I hadn't had engine and concrete issues..... :rolleyes:

I plan on being at the Nat-IT weekend at HPT, but my co-driver will be in the car.

SLUF
07-11-2008, 03:23 PM
I applaud the organizers for inclusion in the weekend. I am glad to see that IT may be getting its due from several places in the club racing circles. We'll do our best to attend. I am passing on entering another "racing organization's" enduro to stretch the budget a bit for the SCCA and this addition to the schedule.

Or maybe I could just pay you, Mr. Peterson, a small fee to insure those guys stay out of first place?

ebb
07-11-2008, 08:17 PM
I am going to try to be there. Hopefully we have a big turnout for the weekend. By the way Bud, I am pushing my wife hard to let me bring the racecar to gateway in a few weeks. We were already planning a trip over but not for racing. If I get my way I will meet you there.

Matt

SLUF
07-11-2008, 10:29 PM
So I guess it will be the Matt/Scott fund I need to contribute to! If you do make it over come by our spot on the north side of the garages.

Speed Raycer
07-12-2008, 02:08 PM
I am going to try to be there. Hopefully we have a big turnout for the weekend. By the way Bud, I am pushing my wife hard to let me bring the racecar to gateway in a few weeks. We were already planning a trip over but not for racing. If I get my way I will meet you there.

Matt

Shoot, I'll be out of town... I'd like to check out what you've done to the RX7.

tnord
07-16-2008, 09:18 AM
so.......i have a few questions.

a friend contacted me about co-driving sometime this year, as he needs one more race to keep his liscense active, and this is the only weekend that fits our schedule. how is the entry fee going to be structured? i would hope there's a significant discount to account for the 3 track sessions rather than 4? if i run qual and the race on sat, would he be allowed to start at the back of the grid on sun?

mustanghammer
07-16-2008, 09:45 AM
I applaud the organizers for inclusion in the weekend. I am glad to see that IT may be getting its due from several places in the club racing circles. We'll do our best to attend. I am passing on entering another "racing organization's" enduro to stretch the budget a bit for the SCCA and this addition to the schedule.

Or maybe I could just pay you, Mr. Peterson, a small fee to insure those guys stay out of first place?

If your funding includes a set of new Hoosier tires I am sure I can help you! However that would not be a "small fee."

mustanghammer
07-16-2008, 09:49 AM
so.......i have a few questions.

a friend contacted me about co-driving sometime this year, as he needs one more race to keep his liscense active, and this is the only weekend that fits our schedule. how is the entry fee going to be structured? i would hope there's a significant discount to account for the 3 track sessions rather than 4? if i run qual and the race on sat, would he be allowed to start at the back of the grid on sun?

The sup's and entry forms are not ready to be published at this time but should be shortly. I can't comment regarding the specific cost of this event for the IT Tour but I am certain that it will be much less than what the National drivers are paying.

As far as co-driving is concerned and a starting position for the second race - that would need to be discussed with the Racechair and or the SOM. This should be something that can be answered when the entry forms are finalized and available.

It will be good to see you on track this year!

tnord
07-16-2008, 09:54 AM
The sup's and entry forms are not ready to be published at this time but should be shortly. I can't comment regarding the specific cost of this event for the IT Tour but I am certain that it will be much less than what the National drivers are paying.

As far as co-driving is concerned and a starting position for the second race - that would need to be discussed with the Racechair and or the SOM. This should be something that can be answered when the entry forms are finalized and available.

It will be good to see you on track this year!

thanks Scott, good to hear about the reduced entry. whether it will/should be lower than what the RR was I don't know, but i'm glad someone is acknowledging that the rate should be significantly less than the NN.

i figured the co-driving thing would be a question for the people in white shirts. there are still a lot of obstacles to overcome to do this, but there's a chance. i've been itching real bad for the last month or so. :eclipsee_steering:

ccasteel
07-17-2008, 12:25 AM
Hey hey now fellas. Don't leave me out of the bidding war. I can be had for only a half a set of hoosiers. However, the more tires you contribute the more mechanical problems I am likely to have. For some towing money I will even tape the entire race from behind you. Although, if I can't keep up, I'm not responsible for keeping you in view of the camera.

Seriously though, I am pumped at the numner of 7's that have shown up this year. And Topeka looks to have plenty. I doubt I'll make any other races this year, but Topeka is a definite yes.

SLUF
07-17-2008, 10:25 AM
Well, it appears I have a "bidding war" on my hands now to deal with in IT7! I really am hoping we can come out as we would love to race on the track even if its from the back of the pack.

tnord
07-17-2008, 10:35 AM
information on the entry fee would be hugely helpful, i've had a couple friends inquire about this event.

mustanghammer
07-17-2008, 04:52 PM
The Sanctions have been recieved and the Sups approved.

Here is the pricing:

KVRG Last Chance Double National

PRESENTED BY SUPERIOR CHEVROLET, SUPERIOR TOYOTA/SCION and HUMMER of KC

Entry Fees:
National Only $315.00
National/National $495.00
Restricted Double Regional $275.00 (For both)
One car, two classes (one day) $150.00 (add to entry fee)
One car, two classes (both days) $200.00 (add to entry fee)
SRF/FE/SM Compliance Fee $ 10.00 (per sanction)

Online registration will be up in a few days.

tnord
07-17-2008, 07:07 PM
thanks Scott, I'll relay the information.

Here's to hoping I can make it. :birra:

mustanghammer
07-18-2008, 12:28 AM
thanks Scott, I'll relay the information.

Here's to hoping I can make it. :birra:

I'll drink to that:birra:

mustanghammer
07-18-2008, 12:33 AM
Hey hey now fellas. Don't leave me out of the bidding war. I can be had for only a half a set of hoosiers. However, the more tires you contribute the more mechanical problems I am likely to have. For some towing money I will even tape the entire race from behind you. Although, if I can't keep up, I'm not responsible for keeping you in view of the camera.

Seriously though, I am pumped at the numner of 7's that have shown up this year. And Topeka looks to have plenty. I doubt I'll make any other races this year, but Topeka is a definite yes.

Yea - IT7 racing looks strong this year and that is great! EP-LIte is how I like to think of it. All the fun without all the body work!!!!!

BTW I can contribute extra tapes for your film making! I may even have a set of 13" snow tires you can use if that helps to keep you in optimum video range

tnord
07-21-2008, 03:39 PM
so there for SURE will be no practice or anything sunday morning? i'm having a real hard time working out something with a potential renter and i to split the weekend if sunday is race-only.

mustanghammer
07-21-2008, 04:04 PM
so there for SURE will be no practice or anything sunday morning? i'm having a real hard time working out something with a potential renter and i to split the weekend if sunday is race-only.

No, it is a race only on Sunday.

tnord
07-25-2008, 10:42 AM
looks like renter and I struck a deal. my car will be there, and I will be there, but I will not be driving the car.

add another ITA entry for #38.

mustanghammer
07-30-2008, 12:46 AM
Online Registration is OPEN!

26 signed up already - 2 in IT

www.dlbracing.com (http://www.dlbracing.com)
www.kvrg.org (http://www.kvrg.org)

This event promises to be something special with lots of National Drivers from all over the country expected to be in attendance. So here is your chance to be a part of the action and put on a great show. Don't forget that IT has the only race on Saturday so all eyes will be on us. Wouldn't a 30 car IT field be great!

See you there

PSherm
07-31-2008, 01:08 PM
I will be there with my car, but my co-driver will have the duties for both races. I will just be crewing for him, just as long as he realizes he's footing the registration bill..... :D

nsuracer
08-06-2008, 11:04 AM
Well folks, so far we only have 3 entries in the I.T. race. I hope that KVRG's decision to include us is not another example of "No good deed goes unpunished". The 2.5 mile course at Heartland is a great track and well worth scraping together all your spare change to come to.

buldogge
08-06-2008, 12:23 PM
I will probably be there...but...I think only getting 3 sessions across 2 days is a turnoff to a lot of people. Locals will surely come out...I don't think you're gonna get a lot of travelers though, especially on Labor Day Weekend.

mustanghammer
08-06-2008, 10:21 PM
I will probably be there...but...I think only getting 3 sessions across 2 days is a turnoff to a lot of people. Locals will surely come out...I don't think you're gonna get a lot of travelers though, especially on Labor Day Weekend.

Yes, 4 sessions would have been better but there was no real way to squeeze another session for IT. The issue is the amount of time the National drivers are required to get in order for the event to meet the GCR definition of a National.

The last time IT was included in a National only weekend at HPT it was in the form of a single Restricted Regional. The result was a 15 car turn out that killed any chance for future inclusion. However, we recieved a reprieve this year because of the economy and the location of the 2009-2011 Run Offs. KVRG also learned from the past and added a second points race. So If you can, please support this event.

Disclaimer:

I'm NOT a decision maker with MiDiv or even KVRG. I have no special insight into next year. So what follows is pure opinion -MINE. I HOPE I am wrong.......

Things are changing and if were a betting man I would wager that events that cram as much racing and points opportunities into one weekend will become the norm not the exception. Along with this, racing regions and organizations (KVRG, MVRG, etc) are going to put on fewer events and the ones they put on are those that are likely to provide the best financial return. If I am right that means more double National events and fewer Regional only races. Why? National Racing has always had more support in this division than Regional racing - even before the Runoffs came to HPT. The lone exception to this is IT but as mentioned above it can be hard to fit IT into a National weekend. So, and again this is MY OPINION, unless we MiDiv IT drivers show our support when given the opportunity we may get left out in the future.

I'm not trying shame anyone into coming to HPT. It is a tough year and we have all had to make hard decisions.

nsuracer
08-13-2008, 09:08 PM
Hey we are all the way up to 7 entrants in I.T. I would hate to have Chris come in "Next to Last" in ITBhttp://72.167.111.130/forums/images/icons/icon7.gif

OTLimit
08-18-2008, 12:36 PM
Sorry; the count is going to go down by 1 car. Chris doesn't need the IT Tour races, but he does need to be ready for the HP races.

SLUF
08-27-2008, 09:57 AM
It official! This is now the "Beat Matt in IT7" thread. Donations to the IT7 drivers who manage to finish ahead of Matt. "This brought to you by a shameless father rooting for his son. I'm Bud Scott and I approved this message!"

ccasteel
08-27-2008, 07:58 PM
Just checked out dlb registration list. You IT7 guys made me nervous registering at the last minute like that. I was about to suggest to Scott we switch to ITA and do a little team racing to come in 1st and 2nd. We'd toss my special coin to determine who gets 1st.

ebb
08-27-2008, 08:43 PM
Did not mean to make you nervous charles. I had a great time in topeka last time out so I would not miss it. Hopefully I can drive a little faster :).

SLUF
08-31-2008, 07:20 PM
IT7...............................Well?

tnord
09-01-2008, 09:22 AM
scott won saturday, not sure about sunday.

ccasteel
09-01-2008, 10:44 AM
IT7 results:

Saturday
1st Scott Peterson
2nd Charles Casteel
3rd Matt Rivard
4th Howard Duncan

Sunday
1st Scott Peterson
2nd Matt Rivard
3rd Charles Casteel
4th Howard Duncan

Sundays race consisted of only seven laps. The first 3 laps under green and the final 4 double yellow. Bummer of a way to end the season. Kinda makes me want to go to St. Louis now. I'll be running that one past the boss.

nsuracer
09-01-2008, 10:49 AM
First thing that I have to say is that I appreciate the fact that the KVRG put us on the schedule so that we could race at Heartland one more time. The second thing is that I believe that Sundays race could have been done better. Due to a serious crash, a 12 lap race was shortened to a 7 lap race in which 3 laps were under a double yellow. In essence, it was a 4 lap race. We did not get our moneys worth. I know why they did it, they had a schedule to keep. Why could we not have raced last? If any of you in the KC/Kansas area have any pull with the KVRG Board, perhaps that issue can be discussed.

Before anybody feels the need to point out that it did not effect me (who was up against the wall by turn 8) that issue has allready been discussed with the Operating Steward. Brain Fade, Lack of Concentration, loose nut behind the steering wheel-all apply.

ebb
09-01-2008, 10:59 AM
Kinda makes me want to go to St. Louis now. I'll be running that one past the boss.

That is nice to hear, I don't want that to be my last race of the year either. I was planning on going to st.louis.

SLUF
09-01-2008, 12:11 PM
Sounds like a little bit of a cluster for Sunday.

If you IT7 guys decide to come to STL I at least owe Mr. Casteel a dinner for keeping that Matt guy behind him and keeping Trey's title safe! We ought to plan an IT7 outing one of the nights.

IPRESS
09-01-2008, 02:18 PM
So the IT Tour is done for 08?
MidAM has two more races if I read things right.
Anybody going to Hallett for the Sunday race?

mustanghammer
09-01-2008, 07:46 PM
First off - thanks to all of you that entered the IT race this weekend. KVRG took a little bit of a risk and you guys made it pay off! From where I was on the track I think we put on a pretty good show. I know the starts must have been fun to watch!

All I can say is I was lucky to win both races. Charles and Matt made me work really hard. Had the race restarted on Sunday I am sure that both Matt and Charles would have been all over me - note that Charles had the best IT7 time in that race so he was coming! That was some really fun and clean racing by all.

As of now I plan on going to St Louis. My car is running great and I should be able to get to the event. I look forward to seeing you all there.

Regarding Sunday....it probably should have been black flagged - we had time to run at least 3-4 laps under green after the wreck was cleaned up. I am on the KC Region BOD and will bring this issue up with the KVRG chairman. However I believe that ultimately the decision that was made can probably be attributed to the Operating Steward and not the Race Chair and certainly not KVRG. KVRG orgainizes the races - actual race day decisions belong to the Stewards. I'll report what I find out.

The other aspect of the Sunday race that I also think needs to be discussed was how the double yellow laps were handled. After the Pace Car released us the corner workers told us to speed up. So there we were running nose to tail under the double yellow at 8/10's. Not cool in my book. Again, a black flag all would have been a better call.

Again, thanks to all of YOU for a GREAT WEEKEND!

tnord
09-01-2008, 09:55 PM
i know it's still early on after the event, but after last year's national, the runoffs, and this weekend....i don't know how soon i'll be back to topeka.

there's been way too many cars destroyed there in recent history, and some oversights i just don't understand in regards to safety. i think the tally from the runoffs was something around 15+, and 7 or so this weekend and i don't even know what happened today.

mustanghammer
09-02-2008, 12:20 AM
i know it's still early on after the event, but after last year's national, the runoffs, and this weekend....i don't know how soon i'll be back to topeka.

there's been way too many cars destroyed there in recent history, and some oversights i just don't understand in regards to safety. i think the tally from the runoffs was something around 15+, and 7 or so this weekend and i don't even know what happened today.

Well one thing that might help would be TIRE WALLS in front of all of the DOT barriers. Ever notice that Hallet has tires everywhere and there are very few cars written off there? There seems to be a belief that some areas of the track are "impossible to hit." Your driver seems to have proven this wrong. I saw him lose it and then spin into the grass and I am still not sure how it happened or how he got to that wall.

OTLimit
09-02-2008, 02:13 AM
I am pretty sure that Chris has labelled a place with yellow paint that could use some tires.....

tnord
09-02-2008, 08:52 AM
yeah, tire walls/foam barriers are the most obvious thing that first came to mind. unfortunately, it appears ray just doesn't get it.

mustanghammer
09-03-2008, 12:25 AM
I spoke with the Race Chair today. As I suspected race day and race session decisions are made by the Operating Stewards. So the decision to throw the double yellow and then end the race prematurly was made at the operating steward level. Hind sight being 20-20 it could be argued that a Black Flag all might have offered a better chance of a restart for the race but then again it might not have. We are not aware of the information the stewards recieved from the accident scene. The extracation was not fast - the top had to be removed and the driver ifted out of the car.

Scheduling choices are hashed out by the Race Chair and KVRG officers. Final approval for the schedule and the supps is provided by the Exec Steward. Over all I think the schedule worked and the IT Group fit the Double National program well. The fact that the IT Group was well populated provided ample justification for offering it.

Perhaps if we had been the last group of the day we would have gotten our race in but then again perhaps not assuming the same on-track/off-track action. Also the intent of the schedule was to allow the IT drivers to get their single session in early and on the road home in a timely manner.

It is a shame it happened on so many levels. The driver was injured, the car was written off and it put an early end to a great race. Despite that however, it was a great weekend, in my opinion, and again I want to personally thank all of you for coming.

tnord
09-03-2008, 10:01 AM
the only issue i have scott is that it was early in the day, they weren't behind schedule, the weather was good, and it was right before lunch so there was an easy opportunity to recover the time. i think lengthening that session by 10min would've gone a long way to making the regional guys not feel like "second class citizens."

it's a few days later and i still don't know if i'll go back to that place without some tire walls.

uncleben
09-06-2008, 07:21 PM
There seems to be a belief that some areas of the track are "impossible to hit." Your driver seems to have proven this wrong. I saw him lose it and then spin into the grass and I am still not sure how it happened or how he got to that wall.

Hey guys- I'm the driver of Travis' race car that had the wreck. I am really, REALLY sorry that you all had to suffer at the hands of my misfortune. I have been playing it over and over again in my head and I still don't really know what happened. All I know is I went for the brakes at the end of the straight before T10 and there was nothing. I don't know if I was the victim of some sort of freak brake failure, or if I just carried so much more speed through T8-9 than ever before (damn it felt good, like I finally got that sequence "right") that when I stabbed the brakes they just locked up and I didn't realize it (very aggressive brake compound), but all I know is that in an instant of jamming the brake pedal and nothing was happening, I was off the track and approaching the wall VERY quickly. I think I tried to steer clear left but the car spun instead and I watched in the rear view mirror as to my horror I saw white concrete barrier coming towards me. I stuck my head to the seat, held on to the wheel tight, closed my eyes and said to myself, "$#%!, this is really going to hurt!" I've never felt an impact like that to my body in all my 32 years. When the corner workers and safety crew showed up my head down to my tailbone was tingling and in pain. When I told them that, it immediately triggered them to go into full-on safety first mode and they wouldn't get me get out of the car. Obviously it look them a while to get me out, as they removed the roof and then pulled me up and out on a backboard. I was pretty scared but could feel my feet which was a good sign in my mind. They released me from the hospital the next day and I've been resting at home since. I read about Chris Albin and it sounds like he had it a LOT worse than me. I think if I had hit front end first, I could be in Chris' shoes or worse. I'm told I moved the wall 18" and broke it or something.

So, why are there not tires or some sort of soft barriers around all of HPT? Hallett has it as someone mentioned above, and there are rarely cars that are complete losses except when they get flipped over the wall or something. Is it partially cosmetics? Is it just cost? I'm thankful to be okay and it's not like I can change the past, but I do wonder what shape myself and Travis' car would be in now if I had the same off into a tire wall.

Lastly- Scott or whoever was directly behind me, did you guys see any tire smoke? Did I lock it up or just go off? I have in-car video from 4 cars back, but I can't really tell anything.

That video and pictures are here if anyone is curious:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/12263689@N00/

Again, I am really sorry to everyone that ran in Group 6 and had their one-and-only track time on Sunday basically ruined :(

Ben

ebb
09-06-2008, 08:02 PM
I was driving the car directly behind you. I don't remember seeing any smoke, nor anything unusual at all. I thought it was innocent looking when you went off, I saw you start to slide a bit and go off. That was it really. I figured you would spin in the grass and pull back on the track after regaining control. Glad to hear you are ok, too bad about the car. Scott was directly behind me, maybe he will remember something else.

ebb
09-06-2008, 08:08 PM
By the way, I don't think you need to apologize for the race. Obviously I would want the same treatment if something were to happen to me. Of course if there was time we could have stopped and restarted or something like that, then Charles could have had time to pass me.

uncleben
09-06-2008, 08:16 PM
I was driving the car directly behind you. I don't remember seeing any smoke, nor anything unusual at all. I thought it was innocent looking when you went off, I saw you start to slide a bit and go off. That was it really. I figured you would spin in the grass and pull back on the track after regaining control. Glad to hear you are ok, too bad about the car. Scott was directly behind me, maybe he will remember something else.

That is very interesting to hear. That basically confirms that I did not lock up the brakes like I have been wondering. It sure did not feel like a lock-up, it just felt like there was nothing there at all. So I was going full speed down that straight and was not slowed down except for the car going in the grass and rotating.

Do you happen to have in-car video by any chance? The next thing I would want to know is if there were brake lights??

tnord
09-06-2008, 08:20 PM
my stomach fell to the ground when the steward told me you mentioned to the corner workers that there was a brake problem. i immediately went to the garage where they were keeping the car and popped the hood to check the master. the resevoir was still full...so i checked the brake pedal and it felt fine. the guy with me said he could hear the calipers clamping, and we used the brakes when we rolled it off my trailer into the garage. wierd.

the best mechanical explanation i can come up with is pad knockback. i've heard of it happening on somewhat rare occasion in miatas, particularly at Road America, when hitting the curbs hard enough and just right. something happens in there that causes the pad to force the piston back in the caliper, so that when you go to hit the pedal again, all that's happening is the piston is taking up the extra space between the pad and the rotor created by the knockback....and you don't have any brakes. given that T10 is just a quick stab at the brakes, it wouldn't take a whole lot of knockback to really F things up for the driver.

So, why are there not tires or some sort of soft barriers around all of HPT?

because the track owner is too stubborn/stupid to put them in.

I'm thankful to be okay and it's not like I can change the past, but I do wonder what shape myself and Travis' car would be in now if I had the same off into a tire wall.

you hit awfully hard. hard enough to knock an 8000lb concrete wall over. i don't think there's any question that the damage to you and the car would be considerably less if they had the same protection over there that they do on the outside of T9.

tnord
09-08-2008, 09:30 AM
does anyone know how to get a hold of the HPT track photographers?

ebb
09-08-2008, 12:38 PM
Do you happen to have in-car video by any chance? The next thing I would want to know is if there were brake lights??

I don't have video, and I could not say either way on the brake lights. I was not too close behind, and just can't remember. Sorry I cannot be more help on that.

uncleben
09-08-2008, 09:38 PM
I don't have video, and I could not say either way on the brake lights. I was not too close behind, and just can't remember. Sorry I cannot be more help on that.

Oh well, thanks anyway you've been a big help. And by big help I mean just at putting my mind at ease. Though who knows, maybe after 15 years of driving manual transmissions only, and 5 years of racing, I jammed in the clutch instead of the brake?? Haha, that was the first thing my dad asked me when telling him what happened. Yeah, thanks a lot pop!

mustanghammer
09-08-2008, 09:49 PM
I guess I am kind of in the same boat that Matt is in. I don't remember brake lights or tire smoke as I was watching Matt and trying to find a way around him. You were in my field of vision from tturn 3 to turn ten and noted that you were pulling a lead on Matt. I remember wishing that you were slower so that Matt migh get bottled up behind you.

Of course I really started to watch when you went off the track. I figrued you would get the car slowed down or if you hit the wall it wasn't going to be all that bad. So I was surprised by the violence of the wreck. I'm glad you are okay and I understand the reason for the double yellow and the shortened race. I didn't like it but your welfare was more important. That could be me next time.

As far as tire barriers - this debate has raged for years with HPT long before Ray Irwin in fact. HPT has never been proactive enough with regard to tire walls in my opinion. Way to reactionary.

To me the only answer is for the SCCA to be more strict with respect to track certification and be more insistent that walls be covered. The tracks won't do it on their own because it costs money and time. Maybe we need to volunteer to have a tire wall building party??? I believe this has been done in the past.

As far as whether this will keep me from HPT??? No, probably not. HPT is my "home" track and I like the track/facilities. It also isn't the most dangerous track in the division - that would be Gateway in my opinion. Still it is frustrating because HPT doesn't need to have a danerous reputation at all. IF only someone (Track Management or the SCCA) would just take the lead and do what needs to be done.

tnord
09-08-2008, 09:54 PM
To me the only answer is for the SCCA to be more strict with respect to track certification and be more insistent that walls be covered.

oh....but wait...guess who certifies that track for safety? Ed Ozment.

mustanghammer
09-08-2008, 10:16 PM
oh....but wait...guess who certifies that track for safety? Ed Ozment.

Isn't he "related" to Terry Ozment :rolleyes:

:blink:

tnord
09-10-2008, 12:44 PM
Isn't he "related" to Terry Ozment :rolleyes:

:blink:

yeah...you could say that.

guess who was the one that designed the new layout as well? yup.

CRallo
09-15-2008, 09:13 AM
yeah, tire walls/foam barriers are the most obvious thing that first came to mind. unfortunately, it appears ray just doesn't get it.

somebody needs to do something

I know drivers that will not run at that track... even if it means missing the runoffs!