PDA

View Full Version : Round 3 - Driving Impressions Pro-IT

dtanthon
06-26-2008, 10:28 PM
Entry is open on www.NeSCCA.com (http://www.NeSCCA.com)

08-R-224-P
Driving Impressions Pro-IT - Round 3
8/2/2008
NNJ
LRP

raffaelli
06-27-2008, 10:21 AM
Does Pro IT get practice on Friday?

dtanthon
06-27-2008, 12:04 PM
No, just Saturday.

15 minutes - qualify
45 minutes - race

double points
usual pay out scheme

raffaelli
06-27-2008, 05:08 PM
All signed up! Can't wait!:eclipsee_steering:

RSTPerformance
06-30-2008, 04:21 PM
I am going to come and play as well! Any ITB guys coming out... I need someone to help me beat that Jap car invading the ITB field :)

See you soon!
Stephen

Rick are you going to pocono?

Edwin Robinson
07-01-2008, 07:29 PM
Entry is open on www.NeSCCA.com (http://www.NeSCCA.com)

08-R-224-P
Driving Impressions Pro-IT - Round 3
8/2/2008
NNJ
LRP

To all Pro-IT competitiors and prospective competitors:

A challenge for Round 3:
RaceShopper will double all Hawk award contingencies for Pro-IT Race #3
:happy204:

AND to be fair to the Round 1 & 2 Competitors- we will ADD $20 in contingency for each competitor for EACH race run prior to round 3!!!

Example:
1'st place Round 3: $50 Hawk contingency - now doubled = $100 !!
Winner has competed in both round 1 and 2 - add $20 + $20 = Total $140!!
2'nd place Round 3: $25 Hawk contingency - now doubled = $50!
Winner has competed in both round 1 & 2 - add $20 + $20 = Total $90!

PLUS - there's going to be a bunch of track records that probably fall after the reopening / repaving ... so stay tuned for some other challenges!

Best Regards,
Edwin Robinson.

dazzlesa
07-02-2008, 07:51 AM
pocono and lrp yes

RSTPerformance
07-07-2008, 09:21 PM
I know that Stephen sent in his registration via US Mail, so we have 6 ITB cars registered!!! At this point this makes the biggest class, lets get some more!!!

~40 lap race... at Lime Rock.... :birra: to lots of Green flag laps!!!

For anyone wondering about the competition here is a link to the Pre Race Count:
http://www.nescca.com/registration/currentcount.asp?ID=165352802

Raymond

Andy Bettencourt
07-10-2008, 02:53 PM
Come on guys! Some serious track time for the buck and NEW PAVEMENT!

Consider it the best test-day you will get pre-NARRC Runoffs...

Let's stuff this field with IT cars!!!

dtanthon
07-14-2008, 07:58 AM
Latest points after Round 2 are posted on www.NJRRS.com (http://www.NJRRS.com)
Entry for Round 3 is up to 28, let's fill the field. Get some track time on the new LRP before the NARRC Runoffs.

See you all down at NJMP. I've heard nothing but good stories about this past weekend. Can't wait for SCCA to get on the track!

Thanks,
Darrell
[email protected]
[email protected]

raffaelli
07-14-2008, 08:08 AM

Let's stuff this field with IT cars!!!

Just not too many...dont wanna get bumped out.

dtanthon
07-18-2008, 07:49 AM
We are at 29! Lime Rock can hold 38 cars, room for 9 more. Plus we may have room for a few more.
Come on out and enjoy the 'new' Lime Rock on the classic course.
Flat Out will be hosting a BBQ between the qualifying and race.
We will reserve paddock space in B Paddock for all IT entries.
Bob is working on the prizes and contingency program, check your mailboxes.:happy204:
What else can we do to make this the best series in the SCCA?

Thanks,
Darrell Anthony
[email protected]
Robert Zecca
[email protected]

www.scca-nnjr.org (http://www.scca-nnjr.org/)
www.NJRRS.com (http://www.njrrs.com/)

RSTPerformance
07-19-2008, 04:32 PM
My Brother and I are going to be coming down most likely with both cars and the 40 enclosed trailer. We are planning on being their on Thursday night late like 3AM. Speaking of that since we are only running on Saturday can we register and get in on Friday AM?

If someone is organizing parking Can you save room for us to join the IT crowd in the B paddock? Who is planning on marking off a "territory" for all of us regional groupies :cool:

Stephen

raffaelli
07-23-2008, 03:07 PM
Wow! 43 cars!

Will we be able to check in Friday AM and tech?

Andy Bettencourt
07-23-2008, 04:05 PM
I hope to be there maybe Thursday - for sure Friday early. I want to grab a ton of space in B-paddock for the Pro IT guys...plus we should be close for the FOM-sponsored cookout lunch!!

Greg Amy
07-23-2008, 04:26 PM
I want to grab a ton of space in B-paddock for the Pro IT guys...
Save a slot for me and my enclosed...seems I'm the only manly-man from Kakashi making this one. But, I won't be there until Saturday AM. - GA

Ed Funk
07-23-2008, 05:14 PM
Just talked to Bob Smart, he wasn't planning on being there, but will if there's enough demand to make it worth his towing 1 1/2 hrs. Let him know or post here and I'll let him know on monday.

73itb
07-24-2008, 07:47 AM
Just wondering what the max. number of cars allowed are. Thanks, Matt

dtanthon
07-24-2008, 08:04 AM
Lime Rock can have 38 cars as per GCR rules. I spoke with Terry H. last night at length on this last night. He will have an official letter to all 43 (or 44) entries. But it appears we will have the first 38 confirmed entries by date of entry and a waiting list. If anyone can't make it please let us know. Look for an email from Terry H. real soon.

Thanks for all the support, this is going to be a great race!
38 of the best IT (and SM) drivers in the country on a smooth Lime Rock Park, can't wait!

Thanks,
Darrell

gran racing
07-24-2008, 08:23 AM
Can't they do a temp waiver or is that with the waiver?

dtanthon
07-24-2008, 12:00 PM
Can't they do a temp waiver or is that with the waiver?

That is up to Terry H. as the Chief Steward of Pro-IT.
We ran 42 at Lime Rock last year (or 2) with permission from the Executive Steward. We need to be safe above everything else.

Andy Bettencourt
07-24-2008, 12:36 PM
I wonder if considering excluding anyone who is running the National AND the Pro IT first - to allow just Pro ITers to fill as much as they can - and then adding 'National' SM's on a first-registered basis is the right way to fill the grid.

wdether
07-24-2008, 06:25 PM
Wow! 43 cars!

Will we be able to check in Friday AM and tech?

Chris, and everyone else,
I have no problem doing Friday morning tech for Pro-IT drivers. Once Qualifying starts things get a little busy as I plan on pulling in groups during the day. If we are not doing anything feel free to get the tech done. I also have no problem doing tech Friday after racing ends for the day. I would much rather do the tech on Friday than on Saturday.

dominojd
07-25-2008, 05:43 AM
Save a slot for me and my enclosed...seems I'm the only manly-man from Kakashi making this one. But, I won't be there until Saturday AM. - GA

I will be ther to spectate. Crew list please bubba. :)

raffaelli
07-25-2008, 01:38 PM
Hey! I have a family member partially wheel chair bound and am in need of a cart for Saturday! I just was dropped a line from the carting company that there aren’t enough rentals to make it worth it for them.

If you were going to get a cart, make the call!

raffaelli
07-25-2008, 01:39 PM
Chris, and everyone else,
I have no problem doing Friday morning tech for Pro-IT drivers. Once Qualifying starts things get a little busy as I plan on pulling in groups during the day. If we are not doing anything feel free to get the tech done. I also have no problem doing tech Friday after racing ends for the day. I would much rather do the tech on Friday than on Saturday.

Thanks Bill!

turboaudi80
07-27-2008, 09:31 PM
Is anyone registered that isn't going? I'm first on the wait list. I'm not going to tow out there on the chance that someone no-shows.

Any idea what it takes to get a waiver to increase the field from 38?

-Eli Garrett
#67 ITB

Andy Bettencourt
07-28-2008, 01:20 AM
I think we have one Eli. I will get him to call it in.

dazzlesa
07-28-2008, 09:56 PM
i will be withdrawing from the event so one more can go!

moto62
07-28-2008, 10:06 PM
I too have decided to back out. Sat only event. :( Not enuff sessions.

Andy Bettencourt
07-28-2008, 10:26 PM
I too have decided to back out. Sat only event. :( Not enuff sessions.

40 minute race!!!

turboaudi80
07-29-2008, 03:52 PM
Thanks for those who withdrew. I got a call and I am in!

Sorry to see Rick drop out of ITB. We need more ITB cars.

-Eli

RSTPerformance
07-29-2008, 05:57 PM
Thanks for those who withdrew. I got a call and I am in!

Sorry to see Rick drop out of ITB. We need more ITB cars.

-Eli

Eli-

We do need more ITB cars, I want a bigger check ;)

Eli, is this the first return to the track for you guys since the big accident with the ITE(?) car?

New engines started up over the weekend in both Audi's!!! Hoping for no issues and a great, fun race!!!

Raymond

gran racing
07-30-2008, 08:22 AM
See you at the NARRC Runoffs there tough guy. :cool:

RSTPerformance
07-30-2008, 11:03 AM
See you at the NARRC Runoffs there tough guy. :cool:

Is that a Pro IT race weekend??? Nope I didn't think so, if you want to compete with me your going to have to race a ProIT race!!! lol

Hope all is well with you Dave, if you go to Lime Rock this weekend to watch, be sure to stop over!

Raymond

raffaelli
07-30-2008, 12:54 PM
Hey Fellas – the cart rental place is on the fence about fulfilling any of the cart rentals. They need only two more rentals to sway them. If you thinking about it, please make the call of the rest of us can get a cart! 860-875-0309 ask for Denise.

dtanthon
07-30-2008, 06:24 PM
We will have a full 38 cars from what I'm told from Terry and Terry. Going to be a fun race.

Is anyone arriving at LRP on Friday night? Bill E. wants to know for tech and we need to arrange for Registration, I'll double check with Terry.

Plan on a Saturday AM drivers meeting with Terry H. and Bob Z.

We get 15 minutes of qualifying so we need to use that safely. The worker lunch break is after our qualifying so we are on a tight schedule. I'm sure Terry H. will talk to us about being gentlemen on the track.

Thanks,
Darrell
[email protected]
973-220-1007 (cell)

raffaelli
07-30-2008, 07:01 PM
I will be there Thursday for tech.

robits325is
07-30-2008, 08:47 PM
How long is the waiting list?

dtanthon
07-31-2008, 07:55 AM
Last I heard there still was one. Contact Terry Roberts, she is the Registrar and has the latest information. Good luck! The track was fun on Tuesday. Can't wait till Saturday!

Greg Amy
07-31-2008, 08:19 AM
The track was fun on Tuesday.
Soooo, you did the test day, eh? 'Fess up! Details! Otherwise you'll have a bunch of very motivated, very aggressive, VERY IGNORANT drivers around you...hey, just sayin'... :)

turboaudi80
07-31-2008, 09:45 AM
I'll be getting there Friday night. Is there anyone that can save a space for Me in the big trailer and Tim in his small trailer? May be a little VW/Audi compound?

I have space in my trailer for a small car. I will be leaving Friday afternoon, and returning to South Grafton on Sunday Night. Does anyone need a ride?

I haven't run at LRP for 4 years, so I will be doing a lot of staying out of the way. For the record, it was Matt who wrecked the ITE car in west bend. We are tied 1 for 1 in turn 2 at NHMS.

-Eli

robits325is
07-31-2008, 11:54 AM
I am planning on going up tonight. I have 20 cones and a mile of rope. Is there a section already saved for us or should I lay claim to 1/2 the Sunoco Paddock?

Andy Bettencourt
07-31-2008, 12:02 PM
Rob,

Our stacker should be there now. Surround that area.

dtanthon
07-31-2008, 12:08 PM
Greg - Track was smooth but dirty in places. West Bend the first time approaching freaks you out. The uphill was the same, maybe a little different angle, there is new curbs all over. I'm still new in the ITS car so I didn't push it. I flagged too many years and know what LRP can do if you don't respect her. No bumps. Going to be fast!

All - As far as the B-Paddock is concerned. Andy is there now. He had a LRP function today. He should have area roped off for Pro-IT. There is a BBQ on Saturday between Qual and the Race.

Just remember that we have about 160+ National drivers to take care of so we can not squat on too much land. I'm sure Andy will reserve enough space.

If we have any questions I'll be up around 8 tonight. My car (#27 ITS) is with Victoria Motorsports (GT1 #6) so I'll be in A-paddock. Find me (973-220-1007), Terry H., or Bob Z. if you have any questions, comments or observations. We will most likely mail checks for this one since we are the last group and we want to load up and get home.

Thanks,
Darrell

Andy Bettencourt
07-31-2008, 12:21 PM
I am not sure I can rope off enough paddock space but we should all be able to fill in the holes in B-paddock. Just remember to come by the stacker after qualifying for the FOM-sponsored cookout for Pro-IT drivers!!!

Greg Amy
08-01-2008, 10:55 AM
Rumor has it a particular blue-green/orange ITA Miata is in the paddock, with a running engine...

dominojd
08-01-2008, 06:00 PM
I am not sure I can rope off enough paddock space but we should all be able to fill in the holes in B-paddock. Just remember to come by the stacker after qualifying for the FOM-sponsored cookout for Pro-IT drivers!!!

Free food on Andy, I'm there. :)

dtanthon
08-01-2008, 07:15 PM
10:30 drivers meeting at FlatOut compound.

Around 12 we have 15 minute qualifying.

Around 5 we will have 45 minute race.

We will have 38 cars so we need to impress the National crowd so we can attend more Nationals in 2009.

Thanks,
Darrell

Greg Amy
08-01-2008, 09:45 PM
...we need to impress the National crowd ...
Oh, you can pretty much count on that. Don't know if it'll be a GOOD impression, but it'll be an impression nonetheless...

:)

Ed Funk
08-03-2008, 01:03 PM
:happy204:It was fun! Big Thanks to everyone who made it happen! Thanks Andy and FOM for the lunch, very generous! Made me almost feel like a "Pro"!

Now, for those of you who weren't there, the track is smoooooth! And probably faster than previously, tho I don't think any track records were broken by our group, mostly because we had 15 mins to qualify on a rapidly dampening track. I know I would have liked to have increased rear stiffness, car understeered everywhere. I didn't see any changes to the "classic" circuit. Some had problems getting through the uphill and west bend because the old turn in "marks" aren't there. I didn't have any problem with the uphill, but west bend----I could usually see the apex from where I was but occasionally I was in a different area code!:shrug: The apex curbs are quite aggressive (except big bend), don't hit them! The track out rumbles are ok, no angle change to them, just "rumbly".

I "think" that track records will drop by about a 1/2 second once everyone finds new marks and adjusts set-up. Me, I'm going to paint a big orange mark at the proper turn-in for west bend:eclipsee_steering:!!

Oh, by the way, I absolutely blew all the other ITC cars away!

Again thanks to all organizers and sponsors, it was great!:smilie_pokal:

dickita15
08-03-2008, 01:36 PM
No question you were the class of ITC field.
I would bet the lap record drops will be closer to 2 seconds that ½ second, assuming the records are recent. Stephen Blethen clicked off a couple of real quick ones and found he was still 2 tenths slower that Rick Pocock’s 1989 record.

Ed Funk
08-03-2008, 03:26 PM
Dick, Rick's itb record was in 1996, in '89 the itb record was still in the 8's!

Andy Bettencourt
08-03-2008, 03:33 PM
I ran within a couple tenths of the ITA record, I wasn't as fast as I could have been by a few tenths and I wasn't super impressed with the R6's I had. A fresh motor with ITA-like power should have me in the mid-high 1:00's based on what I saw Tuesday from some SM's and their record as well. I bet everyones best times fall by about 1 second if the weather is good NARRC Runoff weekend.

Most people thought the track felt greasy on Saturday afternoon but because I was on tires I had never driven on before I was thinking it was them.

As Ed said, she is glass smooth. The part that has the most improved speed for me was Big Bend.

(Edit) anyone know who was taking pics?

Greg Amy
08-03-2008, 07:47 PM
+1 on all the above comments on the track. I ran 3/4 second faster than I did at the '07 NARRCoffs, and I know there's more to be had, just in the driver.

The event was fun! I like the 1-day Saturday format (no days off from work, home for "honey-do's on Sunday) and while I would have liked to have had more than 15 minutes for practice/qualifying, it really was "enough" if you went into it with the right preparation and mindset.

I had a couple of altercations during the race -- you'll NEVER guess the make and model of the cars; go ahead, try -- and a vehicle equipment surprise 18 minutes into the 45-minute race. Most people behaved, and the results reflect that. I'll post in-car video once I get Google to respond to my upload request...

Thanks to Bob Zeccas of Driving Impressions (where to go to buy your "stuff"), Daryl Anthony, and all the folks involved in the Pro-IT series. You're doing a stupendous job; keep up the good work!

Greg Amy
#98 ITS

Andy Bettencourt
08-03-2008, 07:51 PM
+1 on Greg's one-day comment. Works perfectly for a track close to home. Good to see everyone. Better to be driving the 09 again. New engine on order...

raffaelli
08-03-2008, 08:57 PM
I had a great time. We teched Thursday, working T&S all day Friday. I have to admit I was a bit overhelmed in the qualifier. I felt I was driving my mirror rather the car.

A respected racer yelled to me "get on the wheel". I kept that in mind when the race started. There was a hole that opened up in the first turn...for a second I was not sure what was going on then my brain clicked in and said 'get in that hole'...all of a sudden I was passing people! What a rush. I was having a great time in the race until I felt the car getting slower and slower...a hole suddenly and rudley appeared in my block on the down hill...fortunaltey, I was a able to scoot off track and pull onto the bridge on the front straight. I sucked watching the last few. Sorry about the cloud of smoke for that SM behind me. Race Control called me to the tower after the race. I expected to hear that I would not get signed off since I didn't finish. They congradulated me for my efforts in keeping the oil off the track and getting my car to a safe place so that the race could continue. This happened a lap prior to the double yellow. I watch the rest of the race from the bridge over th river. I did receive the signoff!

I started to pull the engine out today. I have never done something like that so this should be interesting.

Andy thank you for the food and advice.

ulfelder
08-04-2008, 07:33 AM
I had a couple of altercations during the race -- you'll NEVER guess the make and model of the cars; go ahead, try -- <snip> I'll post in-car video once I get Google to respond to my upload request...

Greg Amy
#98 ITS

The primary "altercation" Greg refers to included me: a driver of a Make And Model That Must Not Be Mentioned decided that even though two ITS cars were racing for position and lapping him, and even though one of those cars was inside him, he would turn in for the second apex of Big Bend just as if he were sailing along during a test session. I feel bad for Greg and, especially, Chandler, whose BMW centerpunched the whole mess through no fault of his own. The video will make it pretty clear what happened.

Other than that, a great event. I agree that times are going to fall a lot as we get to know the new surface; I was running a half-second quicker than usual and felt like I was just cruising, leaving a lot of time on the table.

Steve Ulfelder
Flatout Motorsports
05 ITS

Ed Funk
08-04-2008, 08:05 AM
----and lapped cars are supposed to disappear?? Greg was to go wide and out in the dirt by himself?? Safe pass is the responsibility of the---blah blah--- Dealing with traffic is part of race craft, if Greg was "traffic", deal with him in such a way to cause your competitor a problem!!

dickita15
08-04-2008, 08:31 AM
I think was Steve was saying is that even though he was inside of the MAMTMNBM that he and Greg were lapping that driver felt entitled to his apex denying Steve racing room.

Greg Amy
08-04-2008, 08:38 AM
Ed, IMO, it wasn't all Steve's fault*. See below video link; start watching at ~24:00 when we came upon to lap said "Make And Model That Must Not Be Mentioned" (MaMTMNBM - tm) nearly like we were beamed down by the Starship Enterprise. Notice said MaMTMNBM making blocking moves to keep both ITS cars in arrears.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8402032115544622275&hl=en

Caution: language. Hey, just sayin'...

The other "incident" happens at 41:45 when I let a lapping ITS car** pass on the left side of the exit of the left-hander, and I could See Andy Bettencourt was going to take me on the inside of the right-hander on exit. Then, a MaMTMNBM (tm) decides to try and pass me on the outside of the subsequent right-hander. I was taken totally by surprise by such a bonehead (IMO) move, and was left with very little options.

And, in hindsight, scroll to the very end of the video to see exactly why I was driving like ass starting about 18 minutes in. It's definitely one of those cases where "ignorance is bliss"...

* I will grant that Steve's move was aggressive, and I agree it's his responsibility for a clean pass; hell, I've done that too in the same place before and didn't pull it off. But, I think in this particular case it was somewhat warranted, given Steve having spent 1-2 laps witnessing that driver's effort to block me (and causing me to lose the position to Steve as a result).

"Passing driver" and all that, but dude, seriously...

** After the first incident, I got the car collected, but things didn't "feel" quite right. I was evaluating the situation (while still pulling 1:04s and 05s) when up comes Maynard, the overall leader. I let him by. A lap later we got a full course caution and all my competitors up front gained a lap on me, and my race was Well and Truly Over at that point. Thank you, come again. As competitors came rolling up on me I simply let them by, while simply trying to nurse the car home for a finish.

On edit: BTW, Ed, I wanted to apologize for that nose-stick I did to you in the Uphill (?). I thought I had it timed properly, but nope...thanks for leaving the hole open anyway... - GA

ulfelder
08-04-2008, 09:21 AM
Ed, not sure what you're referring to - did I say I wanted the <unmentionable> to vanish? If anything, he wanted me to vanish; I was already on the inside curb when he turned down on me. All I was asking was a car-width.

Greg, you nailed it: Having seen the way the guy was driving, I wanted to get around him pronto and be done with him.

Steve

RSTPerformance
08-04-2008, 11:39 AM
What a weekend for RST Performance Racing and the Audi’s… We had several long nights the past couple weeks building new motors for both the Audi’s and getting them prepped for battle. We were very excited for this race as we love the format and the “new” Lime Rock with plenty of green flag race laps meant we were guaranteed one of the best races of the season!

The weekend had plenty of ups and downs, but overall was a great weekend…

It started on Thursday night while packing when a major thunderstorm hit my brother’s house (literally I think a lightning hit his house, it was scary!!!). We lost power and had to pack with flashlights in the rain, not the most fun I have had packing to go racing, but we got everything packed and had a easy ride down to the track. When we arrived we saw plenty of room blocked off for the IT crowd, THANK YOU!!!

Friday morning I took out my new scooter and went to use it and was chased down by Lime Rock security telling me that I could not use the scooter even though it was registered. I figured that was just my luck as I bought it with my girlfriend so she could drive it to work and I could use it at the track. I bitched to the right people I guess as the rule was quickly changed, THANK YOU!!!

Saturday PROIT qualifying.

The track was perfectly smooth and while many people had a hard time adjusting to “new” visual markers, I didn’t feel like I had a problem. I did however have lots of traffic to contend with on my way to qualifying first in ITB (11th overall) on a damp surface with a 1:05.9. I also had a high RPM skip (around 5800rpm) that wasn’t helping on no-name, or the front straight. Stephen had to break in the new brakes, and wasn’t able to get any quick laps in while the track was dry so he was a bit slower but still qualified 4th in ITB. I think the stewards may have given us some extra time as it was a “long” 15 minutes, THANK YOU!!!

Saturday afternoon PROIT race.

Very late green flag (or I was further up in the field than normal…lol). In the first turn on the first lap a CRX spun, not sure how or what the story is with that but I saw him spin out of the corner of my eye and quickly looked in my mirrors to see where the pile up would be next lap through. Everyone seemed to make it through though!!! Stephen told me after the race how he went off drivers left to avoid an accident and ended up falling to the tail end of the field. Somehow after a couple laps I found myself looking in the mirror and not seeing ANY cars, let alone an ITB car…

We had checked all the grounds and cleaned them up for the race, but as the race went on the car started breaking up around 5500rpm. I knew that I had a huge lead but it would be a matter of time before Stephen caught me. As my lead was shrinking to that blue/silver Audi my car decided that it wanted to shut off going through the uphill. I came almost to a stop as cars flew past. Then she re-fired and away I went. I had lost a a lot of time and a few positions so I was no longer in the lead. With the car not running at full speed people started passing me every lap.

Then we had the full course yellow… I remembered why I probably won’t run a “normal regional” at Lime Rock… I have no idea how long that yellow was to pick up 1 car that was in a bad location, but it had to have been at least 10 minutes… I am still not sure why it took so long.

When we went back to green flag, things got worse for me… Not sure what started to fail first but both the LF CV joint and the LF brakes started to fail. I had one very scary moment when I went into big bend and the brake peddle went soft (never happens in the Audi) and the car slid sideways past several cars in the braking zone. Somehow I missed everyone, but at that moment I knew I had a problem. I backed way off and realized my race was done. A few laps later another ITB car bounced off the curb in west bend while passing me and hit me hard on the passenger side. This sent my car for a ride and I found myself watching the go carts in the infield while I tried to pull the car out of a spin. Ice racing came in helpful as the car slid back and forth until I finally got the car settled down going down the hill. It was one heck of a ride but I don’t think that it helped the failing CV joint. The car started vibrating and I thought I lost a wheel bearing so I pulled in and watched the last 2 laps.

My brother came through the entire field and held off Ken in the very fast BMW2002 for his second ITB PROIT win in as many races. He clocked his fastest lap at a 1:03.5 and he knows that he can get faster (ITB track record is a 1:03.2). We predict lap times in ITB to fall into the 1:02’s at some point.

The trip home… I won’t even talk about the trailer lights issue we had…. Errrr.

In all the excitement and story telling Stephen forgot to pick up his trophy… where/when can he get it? I want to go to the next PROIT at New Jersey but I am not sure that will happen, it is one of my best friends 30th B-Day. L We wil be at the following PROIT in NJ.

All in all it was a great weekend. The race length was great and the whole group put on a good show!!! Special thanks to Flat Out for a great lunch, and to Driving Impressions for my new neck brace!!! A huge thank you also goes to Randy and Tom on our crew for all the late nights getting the cars ready to go. Without you we never would have made it!!!

With my budget, I think this might be my future for the next couple years, great job! :smilie_pokal::eclipsee_steering::smilie_pokal:

Raymond

PS: HAPPY 60th BIRTHDAY DAD!!! (It was on Saturday at the PROIT race)

lateapex911
08-04-2008, 11:52 AM
If I was Steve, i would have done the exact same thing. Obviously when the leaders are coming thru, you aren't in a tight race in your class, AND you are getting lapped, it's always best to just let them thru.

And seeing as how the Miata (errr, sorry, the cute initial thing is too much pain to type!) left a full car width at the entry to Big Bend, when there was no overlap, you'd think he wouldn't then slam the door when there WAS an overlap.

:rolleyes:

Ed Funk
08-04-2008, 12:12 PM
Ed, not sure what you're referring to - did I say I wanted the <unmentionable> to vanish? If anything, he wanted me to vanish; I was already on the inside curb when he turned down on me. All I was asking was a car-width.

Greg, you nailed it: Having seen the way the guy was driving, I wanted to get around him pronto and be done with him.

Steve

:shrug:Sorry, my senility got in the way again, I mis-read your post as blaming Greg, I apologize for casting aspersions, I'll try to stick with casting dog legs!

Nevermind---

Ed Funk
08-04-2008, 01:28 PM
Just watched Greg's video, again, Steve I'm sorry for the snide remark! Greg, I'd swap that tire on the rim and run it on the rear, get some more use out of it that way----

ulfelder
08-04-2008, 02:16 PM
No problemo, Ed. :)

BTW, I'm not an anti-Miata guy by any means -- Miatas are Flatout's bread and butter, and I've raced them a dozen times or so (and enjoyed each drive!). I take it on a driver-by-driver basis, and I'm not sure what this particular driver was thinking ...

Steve

tony senese
08-04-2008, 02:18 PM
As a Miata driver opps.... er ah, MaMTMNBM driver, I am embarassed watching that video. There is absolutely no reason EVER to cut abruptly back to the right when exiting Big Bend unless you are blocking. I can't say the rest of the moves were blocking, but it is obvious your car (Greg) and Steves car are much faster than the SM's. There is no excuse for what he did, period.:eek:

It was my first SCCA race and overall from my seat it was very good, hard, clean racing, but obviously different for others.

Was that driver protested? Was there any penalty?

Tony Senese
SM #99:eclipsee_steering:

Greg Amy
08-04-2008, 02:27 PM
Was that driver protested? Was there any penalty?
Negative. Steve talked to him afterwards. - GA

JLawton
08-04-2008, 03:24 PM
Negative. Steve talked to him afterwards. - GA

I'd like ot hear the results of THAT conversation....

Steve??

The thinkg that got me the most was the Miata taking the defensive line into Big Bend........ Only one reason to do that......... Maybe he thought the class was SM/SI/SRX7..... :shrug:

raffaelli
08-04-2008, 03:48 PM
27:17 of Greg’s video. That’s me letting the smoke out.

ulfelder
08-04-2008, 04:01 PM
I'd like ot hear the results of THAT conversation....

Steve??

Well ... don't want to beat up on a guy who's not here to express his side of the story, but the driver said a few things I found puzzling:

- He said he was "getting a run on" both Greg and I out of the Diving Turn. How you get a run on cars that are 3.5 sec faster than you I'm not sure.

- He said he "left the inside open" for me in Big Bend. As Jake mentioned, that's part of the reason I went for it; he'd taken the inside line at BB the prior lap (balking Greg), so when he left a lane open this time I thought he was getting with the picture and allowing us through. All this flashed through my mind under braking (you know how it goes), and that's why I crept alongside him in the middle of the corner.

- The obvious question, of course, is: If you left the door open on entry, why'd you slam it shut on the exit? Yes, I asked. He really didn't have an answer.

Steve

dominojd
08-04-2008, 04:53 PM
It was my first SCCA race and overall from my seat it was very good, hard, clean racing, but obviously different for others.

Tony Senese
SM #99:eclipsee_steering:

Hey congrats on the 2nd place in your first SCCA race. :happy204:

dominojd
08-04-2008, 04:54 PM
27:17 of Greg’s video. That’s me letting the smoke out.

Chris that was a great job not oiling up the track. At least some people still think while racing. :blink:

raffaelli
08-04-2008, 07:19 PM
Thanks Joe. As soon as I saw the smoke, that voice in my head said 'get the oil off the track! Then I heard ' get somewhere where you are not the guy to cause a double yellow'. That is when I tucked on the the access bridge.

I was not the guy that caused the pace car.:happy204:

cchandler
08-04-2008, 07:51 PM
Here's my view............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76JE5NRwH0k

Greg Amy
08-05-2008, 07:05 AM
Here's my view...
Ouch. (I still can't believe I went between those two sideways, and touched neither...)

Wack-A-Miata
Oh, if only I was clever with Photoshop...

dtanthon
08-05-2008, 07:40 AM
NNJR and the NJRRS want to thank all those that made the Driving Impressions Pro-IT Round 3 a success.

Thanks to Bob Zecca of Driving Impressions for believing in this series. A true champion for our type of racing. Thanks Bob!
Thanks to Andy, Nick, Steve and the rest of the FlatOut crew for the fine BBQ lunch provided with the waterworks and Lightning.
For 2009 we will try for the same schedule at LRP, but you never know what 2009 may bring.

Also, remember that there are only 6 classes in Pro-IT, ITR, ITS, ITA, ITB, ITC and SM. Check the rules, SM includes SSM.

The checks for Round 3 will be mailed shortly. Please get me your W9 form if you didn't already. I have the leftover trophies in the RV so they will be at the final 3 Pro-IT events (1 in August and 2 in October, all at Lightning).

Round 4 will be in a few weeks at NJMP Lightning, August 23, back to 30 minutes of qualifying and a 40 minute race on Saturday.

Hope to see you at the next rounds.

Thanks,
Darrell

ulfelder
08-05-2008, 07:57 AM
Here's my view............

Oof, that is such a bummer. Wish I'd backed out and passed the guy on No Name, but hindsight is 20/20 ...

Steve

Robert Zecca
08-05-2008, 09:45 PM
Dear Guys,

Sunday night I wrote a long winded response to our event this past weekend and some how it never got posted? Either way here it goes again.

This past weekend we held Round 3 of the Driving Impressions PRO IT series at Lime Rock. We had 38 cars and I must tell you that I am very proud of each and every one of you. You guys put on a great show. This reminds me of racing in the 70's when most of you including that guy Bettencourt was mere tots. We had huge fields, close racing and rivalries. There was Datsun vs. Triumph, Sharp vs. Tulluis and 7,000 spectators on the hill at Lime Rock and even though we do not have any famous drivers except for Bettencourt we put on the same great show that fans and sponsors want to see. Now we have BMW vs. Mazda and teams of cars from Flatout Motorsports, BMW's of Autotechnic and 3D, Audis from RST Performance and many others. This is the involvement we need for the future. You guys did it!!! and proved that we can have large fields, have fun and race door-to-door all around the track.

There are many people I want to thank including the board of NNJR for backing us plus our sponsors. Hawk, MPT, Zamp Helmets, MOMO and Edwin of RaceShopper.com are all behind us. Another big thanks goes to that guy Bettencourt and his incredible crew from Flatout Motorsports. They put on a great lunch and got all our drivers out in one place and we got to share a great time together as friends before we went out on the track. This is what I love to see and what makes me push hard for this series. THANK YOU ANDY, YOU ARE TRULY A FIRST CLASS INDIVIDUAL!!

The racing was great..... the BMW of 3D lead the field as Rob Driscoll and Andy Bettencourt was always up there dicing thru the field. At the end there were a few unhappy drivers in the paddock but overall things went very well and the show is what the fans want to see and this is the future of SCCA. Last July Phillip Royale editor of Sportscar wrote about us in his column and he realizes that we are on to something. I honestly believe that within two years we will be a support race to World Challenge or another large series. This can be incredible. Guys..... we need to work to this goal, grow our fields, drivers, and workers, grow SCCA and our regions and bring back racing to the glory days or road racing. We have taken the first steps and with the support of one another we will get there.

PLEASE come out to Round 4 at NJMP and keep our momentum going. I will work hard on my end and together we will reach our goal. Thanks again for your past support and I hope to see you soon. If you need any equipment please give me a buzz. I appreciate your support.

Sincerely,
Bob Zecca
www.teamdi.com (http://www.teamdi.com)
1-800-275-4667

Robert Zecca
08-05-2008, 09:50 PM
Christian I am very sorry about your incident and hope to see you soon back on the track. You were just a victim and hopefully things will go better for the future.
Sincerely,
Bob Zecca

dominojd
08-06-2008, 07:14 AM
including that guy Bettencourt....though we do not have any famous drivers except for Bettencourt.....
thanks goes to that guy Bettencourt.....THANK YOU ANDY, YOU ARE TRULY A FIRST CLASS INDIVIDUAL!!
Andy Bettencourt was always up there dicing thru the field.

Bob you really can't do these things, we are racers big egos and all that, now tAB's helmet just may not fit for the next race. :D

dpc
08-06-2008, 08:53 AM
Are the results posted anywhere yet. dave

JLawton
08-06-2008, 09:21 AM
Bob you really can't do these things, we are racers big egos and all that, now tAB's helmet just may not fit for the next race. :D

tAB's helmet is already a 3XL..........

At least now tGA and tAB can share......

Terry Hanushek
08-07-2008, 08:50 AM
Are the results posted anywhere yet. dave

Lime Rock Results (http://scca-nnjr.org/PDF/2008-08-01_02LimeRockNationalBook.pdf)

dpc
08-07-2008, 04:15 PM
Thanks Terry, hopefully we will get to wrk together some time soon. dave

Robert Zecca
08-07-2008, 11:10 PM
Dear IT Drivers,

For a limited time we are offering the Alpinestars gear bag for $225 delivered via UPS ground to your door.

http://teamdi.com/images/alpinestars/gear_bag_sm.jpg (http://teamdi.com/images/alpinestars/gear_bag.jpg)

Gear Bag
100% nylon dobby and ballistic nylon construction. Full function gear bag ideal for Moto sport equipment or extended stay traveling. Rigid frame foundation with over-sized roller bearing wheels. Telescoping hide-away pull handle and anatomical grab handles. Durable foam wall inserts for maintaining shape. Abundant pockets and over-sized main compartment with zippered access. Large silicone Astar logo graphics, contrast color Racer price - $250.00 NOW $225 WITH FREE GROUND SHIPPING

This bag is truly functional, stylish and sturdy. To order call us at 1-800-275-4667 or order online at www.teamdi.com (http://www.teamdi.com/) Mention that you are a IT driver and we will adjust the price. (Bettencourt pays more)

Thanks in advance for your continued support.

Sincerely,
Robert Zecca
Driving Impressions

Terry Hanushek
08-08-2008, 03:50 PM
Dave

Thanks Terry, hopefully we will get to wrk together some time soon. dave

Pro IT Round 4 at NJMP on August 23 would be a great opportunity

Terry

dpc
08-09-2008, 07:00 PM
Terry, I was just at NJMP for a SVRA event. Can't make the trip in Aug. Maybe in the spring. What a great place...dave

Robert Zecca
08-17-2008, 04:12 PM
Dear Dave Gran,

Please contact me Monday at 1-800-275-4667

Thanks
Bob

RSTPerformance
08-17-2008, 09:32 PM
Bob-

I forgot but wanted to send a big public THANK YOU to Driving Impressions for the Neck Collar at the lunch time raffle!!! My old one was the original from back when I started racing... The new Driving Impressions one provided great support for the 40 minutes I got to race ;) as well as during the tank slapper I was given...

Anyway, I also thought the raffle at lunch was a great idea with everyone all together. Not sure if we can convince Flat Out to sponsor every lunch, but maybe we can all think of something...

Raymond

raffaelli
08-25-2008, 09:57 PM
Any photos of this race?

dtanthon
08-26-2008, 09:49 AM
I'm working on the prize money for this event and will get the checks mailed out within a week (I hope).

Thanks,
Darrell