PDA

View Full Version : End of Nelson Ledges as we know it?

RedMisted
06-26-2008, 07:48 PM
Anybody hear the rumors about NLRC? The place has been sold, apparently to one of these groups that is engaged in the business of building new road courses or reconstructing existing ones that aim to service an "elite" clientele. Think of the country club set-up now in place at Lime Rock and you get the idea.
Not trying to cause any alarms here, but the track is supposed to be shut down early this year for a total re-do, possibly to include circuit configuration changes. It won't open again until after May 2009.
Again, everything at this point is speculative. I've talked to folks who should be in the know on Nelson's future and they each have described different scenarios.
My opinion on country club road courses? Use the idea for the pro circuits. Keep it the hell away from the club facilities that cater to the grassroots guys who don't have $5K-$10K to spend on an annual membership.

dj10
06-26-2008, 09:36 PM
Anybody hear the rumors about NLRC? The place has been sold, apparently to one of these groups that is engaged in the business of building new road courses or reconstructing existing ones that aim to service an "elite" clientele. Think of the country club set-up now in place at Lime Rock and you get the idea.
Not trying to cause any alarms here, but the track is supposed to be shut down early this year for a total re-do, possibly to include circuit configuration changes. It won't open again until after May 2009.
Again, everything at this point is speculative. I've talked to folks who should be in the know on Nelson's future and they each have described different scenarios.
My opinion on country club road courses? Use the idea for the pro circuits. Keep it the hell away from the club facilities that cater to the grassroots guys who don't have $5K-$10K to spend on an annual membership.

I'm racing there this weekend and on the 7/11 weekend. I haven't heard anything but I'll be talking to some people that should know.

AjG
06-26-2008, 11:11 PM
No, please no. Not Nelson...

R2 Racing
06-26-2008, 11:39 PM
Good. Having gone to VIR for the first time this year, I'll gladly pay an extra $50 in entry fee to not race at a shit hole.

dj10
06-27-2008, 08:21 AM
Good. Having gone to VIR for the first time this year, I'll gladly pay an extra $50 in entry fee to not race at a shit hole.

LOL, Kevin did you have a bad experience there? It's not a Mid Ohio or VIR but a shit hole doesn't do it justice either. There is certaintly a lot of history there and I'd be happy to see someone with money bring it up to modern day standards. It would be a great track.

joeg
06-27-2008, 08:51 AM
It's a great track...period.

Fastest 2 mile road course around. Anyone who thinks it's a "sh*thole" probably hasn't been there in a while.

trhoppe
06-27-2008, 03:52 PM
LOL, Kevin did you have a bad experience there? It's not a Mid Ohio or VIR but a shit hole doesn't do it justice either. There is certaintly a lot of history there and I'd be happy to see someone with money bring it up to modern day standards. It would be a great track.
I dunno. I was there last year for the 24h. Since the bathrooms broke, if you needed to poop, you needed to go to a "shithole".

While there was "history" I'd be surprised to hear that anyone wouldn't want the place torn up and rebuilt to be better then when it was new.

I wonder if anyone said the same thing when VIR originally went under the knife. Look where it is today.

As long as the management realizes and still caters to the club racer, like VIR does, the place will rock out in the future.

-Tom

Racers10
06-27-2008, 05:22 PM
I am with Joe, Nelson has done a great job of upgrading the past 5 years. Scott and Carrie have done a great job of making racers welcome and improving the track.

Everyone has one* an opinion* but they should not be whiners if they have not been to a track in years

My .02 flame away
Maurice LaFond

Knestis
06-27-2008, 06:28 PM
From my 24-hour experience last summer, there's two areas that need attention - both of which cost money.

The facilities - restrooms being the obvious first issue - need to come up to the level expected of modern racers who aren't used to at-track deprivations in sanitation. Showers would be a great addition to the already expansive room for camping.

Track safety - there's little question that a comprehensive run-off clearing, leveling, (maybe paving?) and tire wall construction effort would be a good thing. I put on my rally/hillclimb brain when I was in the car, figuring that any off was going to be a write-OFF. I pussed out in the rain and asked for wets rather than slicks, when the condition didn't really warrant it. And anyone who knows me will tell you that I LOVE to drive in the rain...

...as long as the consequences for an error don't include me upside down on the other side of a collapsed tire wall.

I don't think that the layout needs "fixing." It IS a unique track and I grew to love pretty much every corner - even that crappy, rough, challenging, slow right onto the straight. T1/T2 are among the best I've ever driven. It just needs to have the boundaries pushed back 30-50 yards and the verges de-rutted. JUST new tire walls would be a huge improvement.

But we have to decide which way we want it. There was a real sense of going back in time - like to Seattle Int'l Raceway in the late '70s - walking around behind the collapsed wire fences and knee-high weeds. I just think we could have the best of both worlds if someone does a "sympathetic restoration" of the facility.

K

R2 Racing
06-27-2008, 06:40 PM
What Kirk said. I know that the people local to that track love it for all of it's little "quirks" and "nuances", but I just see them as major short comings. No, I haven't been to the track since June of 2001 when it chewed my car up and spit it out in a little ball. Since then there's lots of "Hey, we've made improvements!" made by people, but as I talk to others who were just making their first trip to it and aren't beholden to it, it still has a long way to go. I should say that I absoultely love the layout of Nelson. Love it! Upgrade everything, but leave the layout alone.

tdw6974
06-27-2008, 08:52 PM
Yea and when you pull up to the gate they are happy to see you!

lateapex911
06-28-2008, 09:20 AM
Yea and when you pull up to the gate they are happy to see you!

Just like Pocono! NOT!

TAC
06-28-2008, 03:01 PM
The word I got today is it is the owner(s) of Blackhawk farms.

MMiskoe
06-28-2008, 09:06 PM
I will be curious to see how well it does if it turns into a country club. Limerock is trying, but there does not seem to be a waiting line to get in and they have Boston to NYC to draw from. Not a knock on Ohio, but there is not the same population density out there.

As far as what to upgrade, I must be a real hick. Bathrooms are pretty far down on my list of 'needs' when going racing. I tend to think of track surface, layout, run off, paddock amenities long before I worry about how clean the crapper is. Sure at the 24 hour last year (the only time I've been to Nelson) the bathrooms were trouble. But they could have just lined up a dozen Jonny-on-the-spots and told people the flush toilets are off limits. But then again I grew up in a house w/ a dug well that went dry every August and we used the privy for two weeks. Besides, until Nascar bought Watkins Glenn, they didn't have flush toilets there either & no one complained.

Nelson reminded me of Bridgehapton or Mosport before Panoz bought it. Wickedly fast, as un-forgiving as could be and a little primitive both on & off the track. But man are they fun to drive. Bring your bravery pills.

Catch22
06-28-2008, 09:28 PM
I've just moved north from Georgia, so I've never been to Nelson.
And unless something changes I'm not going to. I've just seen too many videos and pictures of cars flipping over tire walls. And EVERYBODY tells me the surface is terrible.

There is just no reason for that. I'm all for fast tracks that require balls, but c'mon... Really.
Fix the tire walls. Repave it. Don't change the layout.
Do that and I'm there. Smiling.

So I'm all for it. I doubt it will become a "country club" with member exclusivity. That sort of thing isn't working out too well (the builders in Sparta Kentucky have already ditched that idea) because there just aren't enough rich dudes out there to support it.
More than likely it will be like VIR. Members will get exclusive use on certain days but track income will be supplemented by club racing and marque club weekends.

xr4racer
06-28-2008, 10:12 PM
No the owner is not the same as BHF unless it was bought by The Stableone group. Bruce Stover and Andrew Hendricks are the 2 names so far.

AjG
06-29-2008, 12:20 AM
If you want a country club you might want to consider golf.:)

tdw6974
06-29-2008, 09:00 AM
How is/was turnout for this race? Fingerlakes region is looking at it since it has been a money losing race for a number of years. Seems like it had been traditionally on father's day weekend. We skiiped this year because of going to Pocono next weekend(2 hrs) vrs (5hrs) haul. Plus back to back weekends. I knew track has been for sale for sometime. Scot and Carrie have done much to improve the track but at what point do you continue to spend money on something you don't own? Time will tell. TW

mkahley
06-29-2008, 11:12 AM
there was over 100 cars there on sat and i think more were supposed to be there on sun and for the enduro

KelleyHux
06-29-2008, 12:37 PM
I haven't been to Nelson Ledges in years due to relocating to the true midwest of the country (Kansas). Now that the 24hour event is back on the schedule, I keep hoping to get there again.

I know many have complained for lots of years about the primitive nature of the facilities, but the track layout is one of the best in the country. I'm truly sad to hear that the track has been sold. I only hope the new owners can capture the same energy and love of the place that Scott & Karrie Lane, John & Martha McGill, Dennis Gulyas, and many others have had over the years.

As a second generation racer, I spent many summers at Nelson. There were many seasons we spent 14, 15, 16 weekends a year there. I made many, many friends, and I have very good memories of the place. Yes it wasn't perfect, but few places were in the late 70's and early to mid-80's. We were just glad to have a place to go racing! And, it was a good place to grow up as a kid. I learned alot of life lessons there.

YMMV,
Kelley Huxtable
Mahoning Valley Region member 1974-1989
Des Moines Valley Region 1989 - present

iambhooper
06-29-2008, 06:13 PM
i went to school there back in '04. i thought the facilities were perfect.... they did have 1 flush toilet, if you knew where to look.

yes, safety could be enhanced, especially on the back side... however, concrete culverts offer excellent protection to the workers.

country clubing will help the place. i'm sure they will only improve the layout, much like they did with VIR.

hoop

Cobrar05
06-29-2008, 08:04 PM
VIR was long out of business and grown over when it was rescued to become a country club. It is now arguably the finest road course for club racing in the United States.

Carolina Motorsports Park is going thru the conversion now and the improvement in the facilities are significant.

I've never been to Ledges, but IMO many of these older race courses will remain viable businesses thru this way.

I dont think there is any chance that SCCA or NASA or PCA is going to get kicked out of Ledges because they upgrade the facilities and build some condos and garages.

The only thing that may happen is the fees are increased to pay for the improvements.
I don't know anyone that complains about VIR

RedMisted
06-30-2008, 02:52 AM
I dont think there is any chance that SCCA or NASA or PCA is going to get kicked out of Ledges because they upgrade the facilities and build some condos and garages.

The only thing that may happen is the fees are increased to pay for the improvements.
I don't know anyone that complains about VIR

I'm not worried about accessibility to Nelson as a racer if it becomes a country club. Rather, I'm concerned for all the Joe Blows out there who just want to have an informal day on the track with their automotive toys. Nelson used to have approx. 20-25 "Fundays" a year where you could just show up and wheel your car to oblivion. Once Nelson goes elitist, will that number dwindle to something like 5 or 6?

CCDangie71
06-30-2008, 01:57 PM

Don't forget the initial membership fee! There's a country club track being built (maybe?) in Kansas City by the airport and the pricing is as follows:

Founding Member: $85K pre-production price
$100K post-production price
$0 for dues per year

Elite Member: $35K pre-production price
$40K post-production price
$6000/yr. annual dues

For that kind of money I could buy lifetime memberships to MAM for me and half of the Midwest Division to run test and tune days.:eek: That is obscene pricing especially in this market and they would need groups like SCCA and NASA to help pay for some of the costs to run the place.

Bryan KF8G
07-01-2008, 10:01 AM
At the rate we were going with monies coming into the track and entries being way down, we're probably 35% under normal revenue for the year. At that rate, the track would likely have closed outright within two years because the money just isn't there for improvements. I'm looking at the future with mixed feelings. On the bright side, the track will be completely renovated and new buildings erected. It has a huge potential be be as good or better than Mid-Ohio when it was redone. The facilities are going to be first class and the track will be repaved and widened. On the other side, smaller events may be a part of the past because they will be cost prohibitive to the smaller groups. The flip side to that may be that the smaller groups will get more entries due to it being a first class facility. SCCA races will increase in car counts due to the track surface being better for formula cars. And the plan is at this point to have the "more interesting" races such as MARRS, the WOR Games and the Longest Day with more to follow.

At this point, as with the past, we are still working hard to do the best as we can with what we have to work with. Sure, the track may be rough in some places, (I finally found my braking point for turn 12 with the new Mazda), but I grew up at the track and will always call it home as well as the racers and workers being family to me.
Thank you for my say and I hope to see you on the track for the final year of Nelson as it is now.

tdw6974
07-01-2008, 11:59 AM
Bryan, Looks like the schedule for balance of year to remain the same?? Hope things work out for the best Scott,Carrie, and employees have always made us feel welcome. We Plan to be back for the Pumpkin. Even though we spent time on a tire pile. Now have new nose splitter etc. TW

ITZ34
07-01-2008, 01:55 PM
It may not have the nicest facilities, but it's got character and they have really made a lot of improvements the past few years. It's a fun track to drive and I always look forward to racing there. I don't mind roughing it a little. (although the johns at the 24 hr. were brutal)

I hope the new owners don't ruin that character .

Bryan KF8G
07-01-2008, 02:04 PM
Bryan, Looks like the schedule for balance of year to remain the same?? Hope things work out for the best Scott,Carrie, and employees have always made us feel welcome. We Plan to be back for the Pumpkin. Even though we spent time on a tire pile. Now have new nose splitter etc. TW

Unless plans change, the Harvest double and the Pumpkin may not happen. After early September, the track will be torn up and paving is to start. So it looks right now like the WOR Games will be the last SCCA race this year. Of course, that all depends on the studies they did last week at the track. But for now, they want the pavement down by November.
Also, Scott, Kerrie and I will remain on board to run things. So the faces shouldn't change.
Remember this officailly unofficial!!! :shrug:

RedMisted
07-02-2008, 08:16 PM
Unless plans change, the Harvest double and the Pumpkin may not happen. After early September, the track will be torn up and paving is to start. So it looks right now like the WOR Games will be the last SCCA race this year. Of course, that all depends on the studies they did last week at the track. But for now, they want the pavement down by November.
Also, Scott, Kerrie and I will remain on board to run things. So the faces shouldn't change.
Remember this officailly unofficial!!! :shrug:

Bryan, Thanks for putting us in the know. I'm also looking to the future with a combination of trepidation and excitement. We'll just have to see how things pan out. Glad to know that they are keeping Scott and Kerrie at the track. The Lanes are good people.
And, another "you're welcome" for racing you cleanly at the Westward Ho event!:)

Bryan KF8G
07-02-2008, 08:25 PM
Bryan, Thanks for putting us in the know. I'm also looking to the future with a combination of trepidation and excitement. We'll just have to see how things pan out. Glad to know that they are keeping Scott and Kerrie at the track. The Lanes are good people.
And, another "you're welcome" for racing you cleanly at the Westward Ho event!:)

I thought that was you!!! Whats your next race. I'm doing the Neohio double and thinking of WOR Games.

RedMisted
07-03-2008, 03:01 PM
I thought that was you!!! Whats your next race. I'm doing the Neohio double and thinking of WOR Games.

I'm aiming for the Neohio event, for sure.:eclipsee_steering:

dj10
07-03-2008, 06:48 PM
I'm aiming for the Neohio event, for sure.:eclipsee_steering:
Chris,
I wished you would have come over and introduced yourself this past weekend, I'm always interested in meeting drivers I've never raced against before. Nice looking Mustang! Thanks for watching your mirrors this weekend.

Brian Holtz
07-07-2008, 10:09 AM
Just like Pocono! NOT!

Jake,

How would you know these days? From your post on the other thread:

"I haven't been to pocono in years..."

Maybe you should give it a try again instead of just making a remark like this. The May Double Regional was a very good event. We just had another this weekend that sounds like it went pretty well, although we were a little short on entries and workers, probably due to the holiday weekend.

Brian

lateapex911
07-07-2008, 11:03 AM
Jake,

How would you know these days? From your post on the other thread:

"I haven't been to pocono in years..."

Maybe you should give it a try again instead of just making a remark like this. The May Double Regional was a very good event. We just had another this weekend that sounds like it went pretty well, although we were a little short on entries and workers, probably due to the holiday weekend.

Brian

Brian, you're right. I was there, and I found the Pocono staff to be much friendlier than in my previous visits.

I didn't, however, find that track to be all that enjoyable as a roadrace course, which is, of course, a personal opinion. And I saw a lot of off tracks result in too much "air". I know, keep it on the track and that's not an issue.

But, I did find the staff at Pocono to be very hospitable.

RedMisted
07-07-2008, 07:20 PM
Chris,
I wished you would have come over and introduced yourself this past weekend, I'm always interested in meeting drivers I've never raced against before. Nice looking Mustang! Thanks for watching your mirrors this weekend.

No problem, Dan. You were fast as heck so I had no choice but to watch out for you and Aziz. Besides, isn't that what we are supposed to do?:)
Thanks for the complement, and congrats on bettering your ITR lap record.:happy204:

mlytle
07-07-2008, 09:30 PM
No problem, Dan. You were fast as heck so I had no choice but to watch out for you and Aziz. Besides, isn't that what we are supposed to do?:)
Thanks for the complement, and congrats on bettering your ITR lap record.:happy204:

dang, hadn't quite got to his last ITR record, guess i am going to have to work a little harder this weekend, eh dan? :D

ajn
07-07-2008, 10:17 PM
While we're talking about Nelson, do they currently have any running water? do they sell fuel at the track?

Thanks!

See some of you there this weekend.
AJ

tdw6974
07-07-2008, 10:41 PM
yes

Willisbe
07-08-2008, 08:13 AM
I think Kryder Racing only sells 100 and 110 at the track.

Jeremy Cesene
Hillbilly Motorsports
#13 ITB 318i

dj10
07-08-2008, 08:32 AM
While we're talking about Nelson, do they currently have any running water? do they sell fuel at the track?

Thanks!

See some of you there this weekend.
AJ

Hey AJ,
Yes there is running water @ the track by the tech shed. Best gas to get is @ Newton Falls, Sunoco 94, about 6 miles from the track.

mlytle
07-14-2008, 12:42 PM
just spent the weekend at nl and came to three conclusions..

dj10 is way too fast. my fast time for the weekend would have been an ITR record earlier this year...except dj knocked it down even further than he did two weeks ago! nice dan!!

the place needs to be leveled...for the second year in a row at this event there was a horrific crash into the bridge. the layout is fast and fun, and the people are great, but the course is just unsafe. it needs to be brought up to current safety standards.

and it is not 2 miles long as commonly advertised..it is only 1.81..

RedMisted
07-17-2008, 04:53 PM
just spent the weekend at nl and came to three conclusions..

dj10 is way too fast. my fast time for the weekend would have been an ITR record earlier this year...except dj knocked it down even further than he did two weeks ago! nice dan!!

the place needs to be leveled...for the second year in a row at this event there was a horrific crash into the bridge. the layout is fast and fun, and the people are great, but the course is just unsafe. it needs to be brought up to current safety standards.

and it is not 2 miles long as commonly advertised..it is only 1.81..

DJ is fast, but more power to him. It's not just his car, he himself has the goods.

I agree that the place is unsafe, but I would not change the course configuration. Instead, get rid of the bridge abutment and build tunnels under the track or something and move the damn tire barriers back another 50 yards. Also, create extra run-off in the Carousel and put beaches on the outside of the corners.

I'm not afraid of the place because it's my home track and is where I cut my teeth doing track days and driving schools. It is what it is and I always appreciated the track's unique character...

tdw6974
08-01-2008, 12:32 PM
Any update on track sale? and October Race dates??

dj10
08-01-2008, 03:37 PM
Any update on track sale? and October Race dates??

I heard the Oct dates were taken by Beaver Run.

lateapex911
08-01-2008, 04:24 PM
Also, create extra run-off in the Carousel and put beaches on the outside of the corners.

Ack...sand belongs at the beach, not the track. Just pave any areas that would get sand/gravel. Cars stop as well or better, don't skip across the surface, or dig in and flip, time isn't wasted digging out, and getting all the crap out of cars is eliminated. (Obviously the paving need not be done to the same standards as the track surface, so it should be more economical) Even if it costs more, than (sand/gravel) it's cheaper in the long run.

And properly stacked and bundled tires do a lot. From the pics I've seen at the place, they are not exactly errrr...well, they're a mess, LOL.

dj10
08-01-2008, 08:14 PM
Ack...sand belongs at the beach, not the track. Just pave any areas that would get sand/gravel. Cars stop as well or better, don't skip across the surface, or dig in and flip, time isn't wasted digging out, and getting all the crap out of cars is eliminated. (Obviously the paving need not be done to the same standards as the track surface, so it should be more economical) Even if it costs more, than (sand/gravel) it's cheaper in the long run.

And properly stacked and bundled tires do a lot. From the pics I've seen at the place, they are not exactly errrr...well, they're a mess, LOL.

Once upon a time @ Summit Point a BUNDLE OF TIED UP TIRES jumped out and hit me! Be careful what you wish for.:(
Like Bridgehampton it's kind of sad to see this historical track change, so many top notch racers have locked their wheels up going into 12. My 1st race there in the 70's was on a 750 Honda in a 4 hr race shared with Eric Buell (who by the way crashed my bike:~) and was my 1st date with my wife of now 32 yrs. I can only hope it won't go by the way side like Bridgehampton.

Weasel Keeper
08-30-2008, 01:31 PM
I've really grown to love the Ledges and I'm not sure how I'll take any track changes. This is my rookie year in the SCCA and I ran the double regional 26/27 July and ran three 1.5 hour stints during the Longest Day last weekend so I do have a fair amount of track time (including quals and practices) there.

On one hand...the course is at times pretty freaking scary. Lots of pucker factor areas if you get off line a bit. I ended up having one of my best races on 26 July and my worst on 27 July when I dipped the left side tires off at T2 and shot across to the inside tire pile...launched and rolled at 80mph. :eek: I almost had the car saved if only the tires were about a foot further back...or stacked nicer instead of being like a ramp.

During the Longest Day last weekend I believe there were around 6-7 cars that rolled in the back, and I think the C&D car even went into the woods.

However, if you can keep it on track, that pucker factor is a real rush. Like someone said before, T1, T2 is a blast, and I love running flat out through the kink without a confidence brake tap or lifting. I don't have any problem with the track surface, but then again I drive a 95 ACR Neon so I'm used to being loose and squirrely. :) Plus, after driving at IRP (ORP) on 5 July I couldn't really complain about anything as long as it was paved. :p

The facilities for both weekends I was there worked fine. It would be nice to not bang my knees on the door of the crapper, but it is indoor plumbing. Same with the showers...it would be nice to not have hot and cold water flashes when someone flushes or washes their hands...but it is a shower and did the trick. I honestly had a bit better crappers and showers while I was in Iraq, but I'm still happy to have had it at Nelson.

It'll be interesting to see what's done and I look forward to it. I'm glad to know I had the opportunity to race on a historic track layout.

Jay Jenkins
#72 ITA Neon
"Snot Rocket"
Murfin Racing

thedemoguy
10-05-2008, 09:56 AM
To all of the knuckleheads that ran all over the net spreading rumors about things you know not, and making uninformed assumptions like little school girles....THANKS. THANKS A LOT.!!!!
You just about put Nelson out of business...:024:...:bash_1_:

**** SCHEDULE UPDATE *****
Wednesday, September 03, 2008
The rumors are being put to bed for this season. Nelson will continue thru the 2008 schedule and into 2009. That being said, due to these rumors the BMW Event in Sept. and The Pumpkin in Oct. were cancelled.

The FunDay schedule is changing, there are dates added but also dates being dropped so check the calendar.

I would like to thank everyone for their support and for hanging tight during these past few months when things were being turned upside down by all the rumors.

Kerrie

http://www.nelsonledges.com/NNwhatsNewDetail.aspx?newsId=53

RedMisted
10-08-2008, 01:35 AM
To all of the knuckleheads that ran all over the net spreading rumors about things you know not, and making uninformed assumptions like little school girles....THANKS. THANKS A LOT.!!!!
You just about put Nelson out of business...:024:...:bash_1_:

Okay, Mr. DemoGuy.

I started this thread to get to the bottom about Nelson and what was going on with the pending track sale. Everything I wrote on the topic, and MOST of what was written here by others, was thoughtful and based on information gleaned from those who are supposedly "in the know." I'm talking about individuals such as track personnel, SCCA officials, and those who have business connections with the facility.

I'm sure WNY-SCCA and NO-BMWCCA cancelled their events based on conversations with track officials. And of course, nobody told them they had to bail out. Mahoning Valley-SCCA didn't, so why did WNY and BMW?

Knestis
10-08-2008, 08:24 AM
I really liked Nelson. It was like running the same tarmac rally stage over and over for 24 hours. :)

More than a few events have been "canceled because of [insert track-related excuse here]" when the real reason was, "looks like we're going to have so few entries, we can expect to lose money on the deal..."

K

Greg Amy
10-08-2008, 10:48 AM
More than a few events have been "canceled because of [insert track-related excuse here]...
+1. I'm sitting there trying to figure out how a "rumor" could possibly cancel events... And I'm puzzled why a track would actually post that on a public web site (basically saying, "we're in such dire straights that we operate based on rumors...)

:shrug:

jumbojimbo
10-08-2008, 12:23 PM
+1. I'm sitting there trying to figure out how a "rumor" could possibly cancel events...

It's not the rumors that cause an event to cancel, it is the uncertainty. If a person has a choice between registering for two events, he's going to shy away from the one where there is uncertainty. Uncertainty about the track, the region, whatever.

Once people start to shy away, entries go down and the event is cancelled. This causes a domino effect as uncertainty about other events increases.

Why would you post something like that on your website? what if the vague hope that things will turn out ok is better than reality?

I'm not saying that's the case here. More likely someone's just not thinking about what statements like that look like from the outside. I would have suggested straightforward, accurate information.

What happened to Nelson isn't that different from what happened to the GL schedule in general. Uncertainty about entries led to people not entering events. which lead to events being canceled which led to uncertainty about events. Some events seem to have thrived but other events suffered, whether they deserved to or not.

jim

lateapex911
10-08-2008, 01:00 PM
Bottom line:

Economic events have created a situation where there aren't sufficient racers with enough time/resources/undamaged cars, and too many events to choose from.

Nelson suffered not because of rumours (what is this, High School? If the organizers really think that, it's no wonder the place is suffering....), but because Nelson isn't that desirable compared to other options in a time of economic uncertainty.

Supply and demand.

Simple, I think.

But silly to blame it on rumours.

dj10
10-08-2008, 01:59 PM
Quit tip toeing around the bush! Nelson's needs some CASH dumped into it. It needs to be resurfaced, new curbs and made safer..........period There I said it! Places like Summit Point, just paved, patched, paved & patched again, Watkins Glen & Mid Ohio around, why do I want to beat my car up on some old bumpy ass track!!!??? Unfortunately, everyone involved knows this but it's not sinking into the owners heads yet. HEY NELSON LEDGES OWNERS!!!!!!!!!! IT TAKE $ TO MAKE $! I admit they have been doing some stuff like flush toilets and tons of other maintenance but nothing to the racing surface.
If only I have the money! :~( A great track is a terrible thing to waste.

And please add .19 miles to it to make 2 miles. :~)

CSPTK
10-08-2008, 03:39 PM
My understanding was they HAD a buyer but that buyer backed out. That BUYER was going to invest in the track and refurb the place....not the current owners. The whole "deal" has been rumors because no official word has come from the track to the public.

xr4racer
10-08-2008, 07:34 PM
http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=33089 This is about as close to "official word" as there is. The rumor portion is that the sale is dead, IT IS ON HOLD. Right after the new "owner" was telling everyone he was the new ownerduring the Mid Ohio Grand Am weekend, this article appeared.

matt

lateapex911
10-09-2008, 09:07 AM
That article dates to June 30, and includes this relevant quote:

Scott Lane, President and General Manager of the facility, said in a telephone interview with Roadracing World today that the sale is in its final stages.

"There's a 99 percent chance that it will be sold, pending some final environmental reviews and some last details," Lane said. "We expect that the sale will be finalized within a month."

I chuckled when I saw the 99% chance phrase in the same sentence as "environmental reviews".

Then I saw the date.........