PDA

View Full Version : 240z Rear end noise

Rabbit07
06-25-2008, 08:51 PM
Ok, I am working on a 240z street car for a customer. There is what I would swear is a bad pinion bearing. I took it apart and I am not finding what looks like would cause the noise. I have lots of Differential experience, but have never had one of these early Datsuns apart. Is there any other bearings ie wheel or trans that can cause a similar noise? Where do I get bearings and seals to rebuild the unit that is in the car? it's a '72.

any help much apreciated!

Thanks

Ron Earp
06-25-2008, 09:08 PM
Black Dragon http://www.blackdragonauto.com/ will have parts to do a rebuild and sometimes the quality of the parts is good. Sometimes not. Nissan will have the bearings as well, call Riley at Lynchburg VA Nissan and get him to hook you up. Helps racers.

Could be output shaft bearings in that diff, or, could be the large wheel bearings in the hub too. Plenty of bearings back here that can howl. Are you sure it is in the diff?

Rabbit07
06-25-2008, 09:31 PM
Not for sure on it being the diff after taking it apart. It was howling bad and came in quick like a pinion bearing does. More under load like a pinion bearing as well?

betamotorsports
06-27-2008, 11:28 AM
Could be a bad diff mount that went metal to metal. The front diff mounts fail and normally they start clunking but they can also go metal to metal on the front diff crossmember.

kthomas
06-28-2008, 09:26 AM
Never heard of a diff bearing going bad. Sure it isn't the center countershaft bearing in the tranny? That's a common occurrence.