PDA

View Full Version : 1993 Probe GT 2.5 V6

benspeed
06-25-2008, 10:33 AM
Hi - has anybody raced a Probe GT in ITS with any success? Good weight, decent motor. FWD not my favorite but a good rain car.

Feedback folks?

CRallo
06-25-2008, 02:03 PM
I know it wasn't ITS(or SCCA lol) but:
someone was running one at hyperfest but I don't know what engine it had and I didn't get a chance to check it out. :(
I was entertaining a guest and I think she must have distracted me...

seems people either love or hate those cars... They always had my interest but still have never owned one let alone raced it. Knew a kid in high school that had a wicked fast probe GT (v6)

lateapex911
06-25-2008, 02:47 PM
Hi - has anybody raced a Probe GT in ITS with any success? Good weight, decent motor. FWD not my favorite but a good rain car.

Feedback folks?

you're kidding right?

Ford?
FWD?
ITS?
think about the combination. (Same goes for the MX-6 I once owned)

andrew240z
06-25-2008, 03:29 PM
todd Reid runs that white probe you saw hyperfest. Its definetely an underdog in ITS, its biggest problem is the brakes. If you would like to get in touch with Todd let me know, he is a great guy and would love to help....

JLawton
06-26-2008, 06:39 AM

Feedback folks?

You need some professional help......and I don't mean with your racing!!

(is that the kind of feed back you were looking for?? :D)

benspeed
06-26-2008, 10:15 AM
Yeah, my wife says I need autotherapy.

I found a deal on a fully prepped Probe - not quite ITS legal but a clean looking car. I think Jake had it right:

Ford?
FWD?
ITS?
think about the combination - yeah - not a winning car.

Check out the link the the car:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&viewitem=&item=270249154087

This guy will be lucky to get $3K and must have $8K or more in the car.

I sold my Audi and now have some money buring a hole in my pocket. Better to pay down some debt.

Darrell just bought Tim Estes old ITS Mazda - I might get a chance to run in that.

John McFarland
06-26-2008, 12:59 PM
Pat Kane ran one up here in NeOhio for several years with pretty good success. He said that getting the suspension right was one of his biggest challenges. He's since moved on to an Integra.

spdmonkey
06-27-2008, 10:36 AM
Chris Marchand campaigned the Ex Dick Ruhl Probe GT with success in ITS about 6 years ago. The setup was the key. He also picked up an ex Nonamaker MX-6 pro car that was not as quick. If you want his email pm me as he has moved on to many other race cars, but can probably clue you in to the ins and outs of the Probe GT.

db

benspeed
06-27-2008, 01:07 PM
Thanks - if I pursue this I'll PM you for the contact info

Jeremy Billiel
06-27-2008, 01:21 PM
Boy Ben I am a serious waffler, but I think you have me beat. It seems like buy/sell cars monthly!

lateapex911
06-27-2008, 01:24 PM
Ben, listen to me! I know what I speak of! Go open the hood of one of those things. Now, go to your toolbox and look at your tools. See a conflict? Like no tooly fitty? Close hood, walk away!

Just get a BMW or Porsche and go ITR!

DavidM
06-27-2008, 01:50 PM
The body is Ford, everything else is Mazda. My daily driver is a 95 GT. I get my parts from Mazda. It's got 145k on it and I've had no major problems.

The motor is decent and not too bad to work on. It's probably going to be out-classed in ITS, though. Sport Compact Car did a build on one a long time ago and had a hard time getting it to make good power in NA form. A lot of people stick a turbo on it, which seems to work well, but that ain't gonna help you in IT.

The suspension on the GT is better than the MX6. The MX6 came with 215 tires and a softer setup. The Probe GT came with 225s and a stiffer setup. You could probably get it to handle well, but not like some of the other ITS cars.

You might be able to make it a front 1/3 of the grid car with a top build, but I don't think it could compete for wins with the other stuff in ITS.

David

wally2
08-02-2008, 12:13 PM
Wow, was I happy to see in this thread that there were some Probe racers who know a thing or two about suspension setups. I would really like to contact them and get some tips. Please post or PM me with the info, preferably in time for Cincy IT-Spec!
--
Mike
ITS Probe novice