PDA

View Full Version : Competition oil control springs

sevenracer
06-21-2008, 12:33 PM
I'm putting together a 12A and I am wondering

1. If the comp oil control springs are a good idea, and
2. If they are a good idea, what's the mazda part number. I tried searching on Mazda motorpsorts, but didn't find anything. Tried to call, but they closed early Friday. I swear those guy's hours make bankers jealous.

Thanks,
Neil

kbailey
06-22-2008, 08:00 AM
Three years ago they recommended using the third gen valve assembly now (90 psi where the old 12A racing one was 110 psi) and shimming the front pop-off 1/8" or so. The third gen valve is actually quite inexpensive. I would wait till Monday and talk to them if you can't find it on the website and see if anything has changed with parts availability. I have been told by two experienced builders that it is a neccesity. I don't know myself...just passing that along-

BTW if you came and played with us at Summit Point some your engine might last longer :)

Kevin

sevenracer
06-22-2008, 09:11 PM
Hey, thanks Kevin, but I'm talking about the oil control springs on the rotor oil seals.

Mazdatrix sells them, but I can't find them on the Mazda comp site.

Mainly I'm interested in feedback from anybody who's used them.

C. Ludwig
06-22-2008, 10:03 PM
Hey, thanks Kevin, but I'm talking about the oil control springs on the rotor oil seals.

Mazdatrix sells them, but I can't find them on the Mazda comp site.

Mainly I'm interested in feedback from anybody who's used them.

All of the Mazdatrix part numbers are code for the proper Mazda number. The Mazda trix suffix is actually the prefix of a Mazda number. Sometimes they add a digit to the proper Mazda suffix.

Example:

MT number - 11-3630-4352
Mazda number - 4352-11-363

You won't notice a difference between these springs and a standard spring. They're slightly stiffer and are supposed to help sealing at high rpm. At the relatively low rpm of an IT engine they're not necessary but they don't hurt anything. As such I use them on all builds.

Knestis
06-22-2008, 11:02 PM
I don't know from rotaries but does this mean I can use VW racing valve springs?

Curious in Charleston, WV

JeffYoung
06-22-2008, 11:35 PM
Kirk, not a rotary guy either but I think these things are the equivalent of piston rings on a piston engine.....they push the apex seal out against the rotor housing like a piston ring in the bore.

Chris, I am right on that?

C. Ludwig
06-23-2008, 05:45 PM
Kirk, not a rotary guy either but I think these things are the equivalent of piston rings on a piston engine.....they push the apex seal out against the rotor housing like a piston ring in the bore.

Chris, I am right on that?

This particular part would be equivalent to a oil control ring on a piston.