PDA

View Full Version : Pocono in July

CRallo
06-16-2008, 04:37 PM
So...

did anyone else notice that SSM, ITA and ITS are in the RG directly after SM??

error or does someone have something against the Miata's?:shrug:

and the IT guys that run in DP are gonna be thrown in with GT!:eek:

kevin22
06-16-2008, 06:07 PM
I pre-registered for both SM & SSM , hoping they change the rungroups. But i will have to choose just one when i register if they don't.
It will be imponsible to do the second run group

kevin

tdw6974
06-20-2008, 12:40 PM
I just released a room had reserved at the Blakeslee Inn. Good place to stay. The Blakeslee Inn and Restaurant

Contact BLAKESLEE INN at:
PO BOX 1140 - Blakeslee, PA 18610
Phone: 570-646-1100
Email: [email protected]

lateapex911
06-20-2008, 12:55 PM
I haven't been to pocono in years...can I stay in the paddock in my posh motorcoach? Are there showers available. Can I plug in or do I need to fire up my generator?

Jeremy Billiel
06-20-2008, 01:17 PM
showers - yes
power - no

Andy Bettencourt
06-22-2008, 01:29 PM
Anyone from Tri_region read this?

You are losing out on critical registrations by having SM and SSM back-to-back. Can someone please let the drivers know if it is under consideration to move them around?

dyoungre
06-23-2008, 09:51 AM
Does anyone know who I could contact about getting some Hoosiers at Pocono? Not sure if Smarty goes to Pocono...

I'm finally getting to play ...

dtanthon
06-23-2008, 11:35 AM
Andy - I mentioned this to tri-region. Appears 2 groups got swapped from the May schedule we did with NNJR. I'll mention this again.

dyoungre - Smarty will be there. He has tires for me. He also should be in the enduro.

Thanks,
Darrell

erlrich
06-23-2008, 12:44 PM
This is on the long course, right? Looks like a good configuration for hp cars...

Are any other ITA guys planning to go? I might consider ditching MARRS 3 and doing this event if there were a few more ITA entries (only see 7 right now).

Andy Bettencourt
06-23-2008, 04:24 PM
Oh, its a GREAT config for higher HP cars....

dtanthon
06-23-2008, 05:16 PM
Pro-IT is in town as well on Saturday. 30 minute qualify then 40 minute race.
Plus the double regional.

Brian Holtz
06-23-2008, 10:06 PM
A request to change the race groupings has been sent to the Chairman of the SOM. I will let people know as soon as I get a reply.

Brian Holtz
Chief Steward

JLawton
06-24-2008, 07:09 AM
Does anyone know who I could contact about getting some Hoosiers at Pocono? Not sure if Smarty goes to Pocono...

But contact him ahead of time to order your tires......

This is on the long course, right? Looks like a good configuration for hp cars...

Are any other ITA guys planning to go? I might consider ditching MARRS 3 and doing this event if there were a few more ITA entries (only see 7 right now).

There may be only 7, but I "think" the competition will be good......

;)

dominojd
06-24-2008, 07:34 AM
But contact him ahead of time to order your tires......

There may be only 7, but I "think" the competition will be good......

;)

Make that 9 as of this morning. Come on Earl get registered. :)

Andy Bettencourt
06-24-2008, 07:43 AM
That's a strong field Earl. If you want to try Pocono, I would do it.

erlrich
06-24-2008, 10:23 AM
Make that 9 as of this morning. Come on Earl get registered. :)
You talked me into it - but since we only get one qual session you guys have to promise to show me the fast line around Pocono, ok?

Brian Holtz
06-24-2008, 10:41 AM
The schedule change has been approved. We have switched groups 5 and 6. No excuse to come play. This was simply an oversight, all you Miata guys are welcome to beat the hell out of your cars.

Brian Holtz
Chief Steward

dominojd
06-24-2008, 03:27 PM
You talked me into it - but since we only get one qual session you guys have to promise to show me the fast line around Pocono, ok?

I push you go. :D

erlrich
07-03-2008, 07:34 PM
Dammit, looks like mother nature is going to throw a wrench into the works this weekend. You gents be sure to load up the rains - since I don't own any I'm going to have to sit this one out. Catch you next time.

dominojd
07-03-2008, 08:24 PM
Dammit, looks like mother nature is going to throw a wrench into the works this weekend. You gents be sure to load up the rains - since I don't own any I'm going to have to sit this one out. Catch you next time.

Come on it's only scattered T-storms, that doesn't mean didley.

Tkczecheredflag
07-03-2008, 09:48 PM
Come on it's only scattered T-storms, that doesn't mean didley.
I remember a couple of years ago coming off the track and back to the paddock - the sky turned dark, wind and rain kicked up, canopies and equipment simply flew away never to be seen again - That's Pocono!

jimalley
07-06-2008, 10:43 AM
Someone post whats happening at Pocono!

Andy Bettencourt
07-06-2008, 11:38 AM
Sat

Lawton on pole.

Finish

1. Joe
2. Tim
3. Jeff

Dave Zaslow
07-07-2008, 06:07 AM
Nat finally broke through to win ITB both days!

I almost had him on Saturday but ran out of talent on my last shift.

Sunday he came back from being spun and worked very hard to catch amd pass Rick with one lap to go. Rick passed him back, but Nat got it done just before the checker.

Dont ask Rick Benazic what he thought of his tire experiment.

And great thanks to Butch Oconner for doing all he could on Friday evening to get things moving.

DZ

JLawton
07-07-2008, 06:54 AM
Nat finally broke through to win ITB both days!

I almost had him on Saturday but ran out of talent on my last shift.

Sunday he came back from being spun and worked very hard to catch amd pass Rick with one lap to go. Rick passed him back, but Nat got it done just before the checker.

Dont ask Rick Benazic what he thought of his tire experiment.

DZ

Yeah, I thought Nat got the shaft from a typical Miata move. Here he leading the ITB race and a mid packer Miata just plows into his rear quarter, spinning him. He did put on a hell of a drive for the win but Rick did make it interesting!!!

I want to apologize to all the ITS cars that felt the rath of my 130 HP on their rear bumper (Or in one case, those Saturn brakes out performing the Porsche's....) . Never was it intentional and I hope I didn't screw up anyone's race......(although I'm not apologizing for that, I was fighting for the win.......) I had two really, really bad starts and had to fight my way through a lot of traffic to get back into it........If I wasn't running for the podium it actually would have been fun racing with them.

Had a great time hanging with the usauls during the down time.

Tkczecheredflag
07-07-2008, 09:34 AM
First, on behalf of the CPM Motorpsorts Team, let congratulate Joe D and Jeff L on their ITA victories on Saturday and Sunday. Joe got a great jump on Saturday and checked out, Jeff struggled with a shift early but the shortened race had him running out of time on the comeback- I never could get near Joe for the remainder of the race. Sunday I got the good jump at the start and after starting third got past Joe and Jeff at T-1. I had a decent lead but an early "yellow" bunched us back up and didn't help my chances to win. It looked like Joe was going to have his way with me at the chicane around L-5 but his brake pedal went to the floor and he had to blow past the chicane. Jeff was better than me in the infiield - reeled me in by L-9 but I wasn't giving the P-1 up easily, using every inch of allowable track surface to keep Jeff behind me keeping him pinched to my inside - I was not blocking in the true sense of the word, but I was controling the passing zones. Jeff prevailes with 2 laps to go for the win. Agains congrats to both Joe and Jeff.

I'll open up my race strategy to discussion and criticism, as Jeff (a racer I consider my friend) was not happy with me after the race.

When Jeff got to with in striking distance (existing the infield and chicane) he would take a run on my inside for the pass. Existing the infield I pinched Jeff to the the bottom of the track (read that as kept him on the white line), opening up for the chicane at the last second (400 foot marker making the pass and chicane entrance difficult). Exisitng the chicane Jeff made his run on the inside as well, and I responded in the same way - pinching Jeff on the bottom of the track, in fact right next to the pit wall before entering T-1, again at the last second. Needles to say I used the whole track in my attempt to win (you could even make and argument that I chose the shortest distance around Pocono dispite the fact its "off-line"). There are many positions I would not contest as strongly, and haven't in the past - but I treat P-1 a little differently. Was I wrong?

I will post video for the review. Jeff and I have "kissed and made up." I also shared with Jeff and Joe that I wouldn't expect anything less from them for P-1. I would be interested in your opinion.

Saturday Results
Joe D 1.53.9
Tim K 1:54.5
Jeff L 1:53.7

Sunday Results
Jeff L 1:54.4
Tim K 154.3
Walter M 157.5

It was a great weekend - Thanks to the Tri-Region. The ITA NARRC battle tightens.

dominojd
07-07-2008, 09:50 AM
Yes you were wrong! What gives you the right to make it hard for Jeff to pass you for the win? ;)

gran racing
07-07-2008, 10:46 AM
If after pinching him to the low part of the track, he went to the high side then you pinched him towards the wall that would have been wrong. Curious to see the video.

Tkczecheredflag
07-07-2008, 11:40 AM
If after pinching him to the low part of the track, he went to the high side then you pinched him towards the wall that would have been wrong. Curious to see the video.
Dave - I didn't do the low/high block (a traditional full blown block) - Just held the low line to major degress of discomfort for Jeff. I'll get the video up soon.

Jeremy Billiel
07-07-2008, 12:17 PM
Tim - If you are staying low and forcing Jeff to pass you in another area that is not ideal that is your right as being in P1. I agree with dave that if you blocked the bottom and then ran up to block the high side you woudl be wrong.

Sure Jeff would not be happy, but that is racing!

dominojd
07-07-2008, 12:35 PM
. I'll get the video up soon.

Well hurry I want to see. Since i was driving around looking at the sights and not racing. :)

dominojd
07-07-2008, 01:28 PM
Here's my video from sunday http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3127918522643288270

No video from sat forgot to mount the camera.

Greg Amy
07-07-2008, 03:37 PM
Was I wrong?
Yes, totally: what in the hell were you doing giving him so much space??? And you didn't even HIT him??

Hey, if Jeffy can't handle the heat, he can go back to trying to win the HPDE National Championships. I'll even buy him the shirt.

tGA

dickita15
07-07-2008, 04:12 PM
I'll open up my race strategy to discussion and criticism, as Jeff (a racer I consider my friend) was not happy with me after the race.

was he mad or frustrated.

JLawton
07-07-2008, 04:28 PM
I was a little upset. But was well over it within minutes.:023:

just to give a "little" more clarification........... Coming out of the Chicane, I was able to get inside Tim where we then drove (literally) door handle to door handle, right beside each other (not nose to tail), all the way to the main straght. If we had continued down into turn 1, I would have "owned" the corner. Tim moved down to the point that I felt if I didn't move down, there was going to be contact. I'm not sure how wide Pocono's main straight is, but that's a loooong way down to the pit wall!!

After the third time of it happening, the steward at start/finshed was shacking his finger at Tim!! :lol:

dazzlesa
07-07-2008, 04:37 PM
congrats to nat on winning both days. he fought hard for his first 2 wins. dont ask nat what was in his trunk after sundays race.

dyoungre
07-07-2008, 04:40 PM
On another note, congratulations to Jake Gulick for setting an IT7 track record at Pocono ... right before he tried to take his own feet off.

As Dick would say, 50/50 shot of beating Jake - it took until the next-to-last lap that I passed most parts of his car. Sorry Jake, had to share, but good job, since you have, what now, 12 total laps on the track?

Tkczecheredflag
07-07-2008, 04:42 PM
Here's the video. It's probally a little more forgiving than I or Jeff would describe.

Please know that I am not trying to make this about Jeff. We have the right to get annoyed and upset with each other as drivers. The real question is did I do anything wrong in my strategy? We can learn as we go.

Have a look.
Sorry - you'll have to fast forward through the full course caution.

Laps in question start about minute mark 16:20.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5131046016071248769

As Agent 86 would say, "I missed it by that much."

Jeremy Billiel
07-07-2008, 06:05 PM
Well at a minimum I feel better by seeing another integra with a wicked push by the end of the race!

dickita15
07-07-2008, 06:08 PM
I think there is no question that Tim made Jeff run way to the right on the dirty part of the track, but I do not believe it comes close to the definition of blocking. Tim seemed to make one move and stick to it. The good book says you have to leave racing room but does not say where that room has to be. I do admit it would piss me off but that should just make me more determined to find a way by.
By the way Jeff I noticed on the lap you got by Tim you took a defensive line approaching start finish.
Dave Y, from what I heard I am not sure you should be picking on Jake’s car prep. :o
Glad to see you got the car out.:)

lateapex911
07-07-2008, 06:52 PM
Thanks Dick and Dave.....

Not my best weekend... I can't say I am a fan of that place, but not because of my issues, it just lacks ..ummm... character.

Anyway, I have to apologize to those who were unlucky enough to be in my race group and who came upon the mess I left on the tunnel turn. Notably Gary Hutchinson in the silver BMW...sorry about the tire. (And a special thanks and sorry to the Weavers, whose windshield I did in. You couldn't meet nicer racers if you raced for 20 years.)

It seems that a clutch/pressure plate exploded in 4th gear, 6500 rpm or so, and scattered 20 pounds of itself and bellhousing and other bits of my car for hundreds of feet.

It was a loud bang, followed by what sounded like rocks being hurled at a tin roof. I coasted, trying to stay up along the wall in case of fluid spills, then crossed the track sharply to an infield road, but evidently the debris field was too great, and clean up took quite awhile.

The collateral damage was comprehensive. Fortunately, due to the short nature of the RX-7 engine, the flywheel is just in front of the firewall, so damage to the interior, and living objects, was nearly non-existent. But, CAT scan the car's section at the 6" range in front of the firewall, and it's another story. The transmission remains bolted in the rear. But the entire front of the bellhousing is gone. And the parts of the engine it bolted to have gone with it. The back half of the starter was dragging under the car, hanging by the solenoid wire. The heater hoses, oil gauge, fuel gauge and all electrical lines are mangled or severed. The clutch slave cykinder is missing parts. The throw out bearing is thrown out, along with the levers and such. The header is collapsed. There's a 2" hole in the hood in a double thick section, and a 4" gash in the firewall.

And i haven't taken it apart yet! I'll post pics when I do.

Why'd it happen? Not sure yet. The clutch and PP have been in the car for two seasons, the bolts were torqued when it went in. They've got, I'd guess, about 10 or more events on them. Last spring I rebuilt the engine and checked the clutch wear, all looked fine for the season. ISC did the initial build of the motor and balancing. I've felt slightly loose wheel bearings thru the steering wheel before, I've felt a driveshaft that had a harmonic to it, but I didn't feel a thing here. It just went BLAMO! (in the wors of Steve Matchett!)

So, I dunno.

dominojd
07-07-2008, 08:56 PM
Weel Jeff where's your freakin video? I have been waiting all day. :)

JLawton
07-08-2008, 07:24 AM
Here's the video. It's probally a little more forgiving than I or Jeff would describe.

Please know that I am not trying to make this about Jeff. We have the right to get annoyed and upset with each other as drivers. The real question is did I do anything wrong in my strategy? We can learn as we go.

Have a look.
Sorry - you'll have to fast forward through the full course caution.

Laps in question start about minute mark 16:20.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5131046016071248769

As Agent 86 would say, "I missed it by that much."

Holy crap Tim!! That was a hell of a start!!! I missed from way back where I was!! Nice job!

dyoungre
07-08-2008, 08:32 AM
Dick is right, I shouldn't pick on Jake's prep, and I'm sorry, Jake, that I wasn't better prepared. I was really looking forward to the enduro! I am glad to say that my RX7 passed it's flight test, and more importantly, the landing gear survived it's second carrier deck landing.
The tongue-in-cheek was that I still passed Jake, with a flat carb and no clutch. I'm glad I got out, too, but barely. It's tough to call when making the time to get out isn't enough. I shouldn't have raced if I couldn't 'properly' prepare the car, but I can't make the time to prepare the car if I'm not entered ....

benspeed
07-08-2008, 09:06 AM
Tim - great strategy - no dirty doggery on that. You made Jeff work for it and I bet next time you will make him work even harder :-)

Nice driving by a lot of guys in that video - loved the outside pass by Harding on Driscoll in the second gear right hander. T-4? You guys drive a different line than I do at Pocono and I wonder if its because of fwd or strategic corner hoggage.

Great being back in an IT car for the enduro - which was more like a test day with 9 cars. Very much put the hook in.

Great time at Pocono and a blast to see the 'crew' racing hard, kicking ass and no wrecks.

gran racing
07-08-2008, 09:58 AM
Honestly, it's too hard to tell from Tim's in-car video as you can't see wide enough. It would be interesting to see Jeff's.

JLawton
07-08-2008, 10:19 AM
Honestly, it's too hard to tell from Tim's in-car video as you can't see wide enough. It would be interesting to see Jeff's.

None from me. Either a bad battery or a bad charger. it's too bad becasue there was some GREAT action.

lateapex911
07-08-2008, 10:30 AM
Yea, good call Ben on that Harding pass, it was sweet!

Timmah my man, you were trying hard, good for you. Jeff was annoyed, as i would have been. But, you have a right to drive where you want as long as you leave room. Jeff returned the favor once he was by. All in all, you pushed as far as you could, Tim. And Jeff, if he came over on you once you had an overlap, and you had to either go off track or brake, you have a serious case. But it doesn't look like that's what happened.

I bet another strategy would have been to hang back on him pre chicane, then get a run, feint inside, get him to go for the block, then drive around the outside down the start/finish straight. Even if you couldn't get it to stick in 1, or 2, 3 is a lefty, and you would have had it then.

lateapex911
07-08-2008, 12:25 PM
One last question/thought. What does the crowd think ....

It doesn't show on the video, but, what if Jeff had the overlap, AND had his nose a foot or two in front of Timmy? Do the roles reverse, and now Jeff can ease Tim to the left and up towards the outside wall??

benspeed
07-08-2008, 12:49 PM
I will try to move the other car to my advantage without contact so, yes. Jeff would be totally cool on that move.

But this crap never pays off in the long run. Example NHIS ITS race - I dive bombed the field into 3, the right hander before the hill. Got inside Nick going up the hill and drifted left to press him into crappy surface/grass. He let it go for a moment and then wacked the shit out of my car, ripping off the driver mirror and leaving a deserved door dent. He got a fender dent.

He was probably cool with me running him to the edge, but not into the grass and let me know it. We pushed each other to the edge at a couple of other spots and then he got away from the field and zoom zoom. Sorta depends on comfort level. But almost every time I try this crap it never pays off and really isn't safe. After a few expensive seasons I stopped doing that stuff.

Andy Bettencourt
07-08-2008, 01:04 PM
The missing element is Jeff's video. If Tim FORCED Jeff over (because they were side-by-side) and Jeff moved to avoid contact - and continued to do so, then I see where the issue might have been.

If Tim drove to the inside and created a very small lane for Jeff to pass, then it's a very agressive defensive line...

Tkczecheredflag
07-08-2008, 03:28 PM
The missing element is Jeff's video. If Tim FORCED Jeff over (because they were side-by-side) and Jeff moved to avoid contact - and continued to do so, then I see where the issue might have been.

If Tim drove to the inside and created a very small lane for Jeff to pass, then it's a very agressive defensive line...

I encourage Jeff to offer is thoughts but from my seat, if Jeff had the additional UMPH the lane was clear to pass. I was trying to control his race line, forcing the car to stay on the bottom of the track (I thought the video didn't do the stratgey justice - it looks like there is plenty of track to work with), and making it difficult for him to set up his "turn in" for T-1. I would call it an aggressive defensive line - Jeff might call it something else. Keep in mind that Jeff chose to initiate his pass on the inside. I would have continued to defend the inside line whether he was trying to pass there or not - Right?. If Jeff chose the outside line, my only choice would have been to defend the inside to hold on to P-1. By using the inside line to pass it just made it easier to defend and control his race line. Just my take from my seat.