PDA

View Full Version : Butch, July 19-20?

IPRESS
06-09-2008, 10:32 PM
Butch,
We are trying to do the two in one car deal again (since the Feb. race got canceled.) Do you know how the schedule is going to work? We are bringing two miatas for four drivers and trying to get a sprint race for each and share the Enduro. Will ITA and SM be in seperate run groups? If so will they have a group or two inbetween? (Dang I sound like my wife asking a hundred questions!)
I have been recruiting hard for this event as it allows two drivers to cut a lot of expense. I have raced this RAtlanta weekend many times since 2000. Always a good bang for the buck. Actually we have a third car coming too.
Thanks for the info.

Butch Kummer
06-10-2008, 09:15 AM
Mac,

Not for official publication since we don't have the sanction numbers yet, but:

Group 1 - small formula cars + FC
Group 2 - Big Noise
Group 3 - small IT (including SM)
Group 4 - Wings & Things
Group 5 - big IT (including ITA)
Group 6 - small fendered cars & SRF
Group 7 - ECR
Group 8 - Pro-IT
Group 9 - Pan-Am Bonus Race (Big Noise)

Sat:
. 15-minute qualifying, Groups 1-6
. 30-minute qualifying, Group 7 (ECR)
. 8-lap "optional qualifying races", Groups 1-6
(lunch where appropriate)
. 15-lap SARRC races, Groups 1 & 2
. 20-minute qualifying, Group 8 (Pro-IT)
. Cook-out and social

Sun:
. 90-minute ECR, Group 7
. Quiet Time, 10:00-12:30, PDX cars on track
. 15-lap Pan-Am Bonus Race, Group 9
. 15-lap SARRC races, Groups 3-6
. 20-lap Pro-IT race, Group 8

So the answers to your questions are:
. yes, I know how the schedule will work
. yes, ITA and SM are separate run groups
. yes, there is one (1) group in between

I don't think I know your wife, so I'll have to take your word for it if you say you sound like her. :cool:

Hope to see you there...

DavidM
06-10-2008, 01:50 PM
I know you said this isn't official yet, but I'm sure other people will be wondering about the "optional qualifying races" as well. How's that going to work?

David

Butch Kummer
06-10-2008, 04:40 PM
I'll be glad to elucidate: :D

First session for the SARRC Groups is a standard 15-minute qualifier. Your best time in that session determines where you start in the "optional qualifying race." Unlike a "real" qualifying race, however, your finishing position in the 8-lapper has no bearing on where you start the 15-lap SARRC race. IF you turn a faster lap in the 8-lapper than you did in the first session, however, then that faster time is used to grid for the SARRC race. Finishing order in the 8-lap race DOES count for Atlanta Region points, but that only affects Atlanta Region members that know (or care) about the Atlanta Region Championship.

If you turn a killer lap in the morning and don't want to put additional wear and tear on the car, you're free to do so. If you want to go out at the back of the group and run just a couple of laps looking for a good one, you're free to do so. If you want to line up and drive your a** off while working on your racecraft, you're free to do so.

This is an adaptation of something CFR has done for years and DC Region was going to try this year (not sure if they've done it yet or not). We've had a fair number of people that asked for "heat races" rather than a second qualifying session, we've had some that really like having a second chance in case they screw up the first session, and we've had some that skip the second session altogether, so this tries to appease all groups. The workers and (both) spectators have said they like races more than qualifying sessions, so this gives them more races.

It seems to work well in CFR so we're gonna try it and see how it works. If it's a total flop and drivers hate it we can always go back to two qualifying sessions and a single race.

IPRESS
06-10-2008, 11:09 PM
Looks good to me. We plan on having at least three cars and 5 racers coming to enjoy the heat simmering off the kudzu!
The 8 lap Q race is a cool idea. A couple of the guys are RA newbs so the added laps will help them.

Thanks for the quick response as finding a good airline deal is a must these days. We are booked and looking forward to it.

Rick Starkweather
06-11-2008, 12:48 PM
Butch:

Great idea! :happy204: They do the same at many vintage races. As you suggest, those that want to race can, those that want to turn a few quick laps to try improve their qualifying position can also do so.

I'm in! I'm a Road Atlanta newbie (virgin?) in a LPHP Fiesta, so will be in small bore/SRF. But I'll be set up next to a friend with a GTA car. See you there!

Rick

DavidM
06-11-2008, 01:38 PM
Cool idea. It'll be interesting to see how it works.

David

bamfp
06-18-2008, 09:57 PM
Butch if group 5 is big IT(ITR, ITS, ITA) and then the ProIT starts one race after that how are we going to have time to prep the car for the ProIT since we will be in impound? Can we move Big IT up 2 races?

Blake Meredith

Butch Kummer
06-19-2008, 09:10 AM
We want at least one group between Small IT (+ SM) and Big IT so those wanting to double-dip in SM and ITA can do so. They'll be facing the same issues (potentially) as you guys are if they're in Impound. I guess the real answer is: don't finish in the top three! :rolleyes:

The sanction numbers have been issued so changing the schedule will require action by the SOM, but that's a procedure rather than a problem.

I'll look at it and see what we can make work...

BTW - we should be opening registration on DLB in the next couple of days.

IPRESS
06-19-2008, 10:40 AM
"DON"T FINISH IN THE TOP THREE"

no problem!:p

Butch Kummer
06-19-2008, 01:47 PM
Online Registration is open at DLBRacing.com for the July 19-20 SARRC/ECR/Pro-IT/PDX weekend at Road Atlanta. We'll have a rather unique qualifying format for the SARRC races that weekend (borrowed from CFR), so you'll have to tell me what you think of it.

See you there...

bamfp
06-19-2008, 06:56 PM
Butch that is a bad way to look at things. There still is the possibility of 12 people not having enough time to make the car ready and safe for the next race. Either impound should be waived for those who are running in the ProIT and the SARRC or something else.

Blake

SPiFF
06-19-2008, 07:08 PM
Butch that is a bad way to look at things. There still is the possibility of 12 people not having enough time to make the car ready and safe for the next race. Either impound should be waived for those who are running in the ProIT and the SARRC or something else.

Blake

Seriously! Not all IT drivers have pro crews. (I certainly do not.) 30 min between races is no way near enough time to refresh both the driver and the car. Why can't all the non-IT groups be between the IT SARRC races and the Pro-IT?

Butch Kummer
06-19-2008, 10:04 PM
What part of:

I'll look at it and see what we can make work...

do you not understand?

Groups 1 & 2 are fixed based on commitments we made to people traveling large distances. I also want a group in between small IT and Big IT for the folks that are coming from Texas and want to run a Miata in SM and ITA.

I cannot please everybody, but I'll look at the options we have to re-arrange the Sunday groups and, if we come up with a sequence that makes more sense, I'll start the paperwork to change the schedule.

And Blake, did you see the smiley face?

IPRESS
06-19-2008, 11:28 PM
Hey what ever works to help everybody is OK with us. I think we have 4 cars coming now. 1 TX 1 Ark 2 TN.

Butch Kummer
06-21-2008, 10:40 AM
I sent a request to the Chief Steward to change Sunday afternoon's schedule to the following:

. Group 3 SARRC race (Small IT & SM)
. Group 9 "Bonus" race (PanAm)
. Group 5 SARRC race (Big IT)
. Group 4 SARRC race (Wings & Things)
. Group 6 SARRC race (Small bore and SRF)
. Pro-IT Race

Saturday's schedule will not change and we'll still have the ECR and PDX on Sunday morning. While I fully expect the change to be approved, I don't know how long it will take for the request to wend it's way through the review and approval process. I also sent an e-mail to those already registered asking if they had any objection (and encouraged them not to).

I'll post here later regarding the status...

SPiFF
06-21-2008, 01:09 PM
:happy204: Thanks!

trhoppe
06-23-2008, 03:40 PM
I sent a request to the Chief Steward to change Sunday afternoon's schedule to the following:

. Pro-IT Race

Saturday's schedule will not change and we'll still have the ECR and PDX on Sunday morning. While I fully expect the change to be approved, I don't know how long it will take for the request to wend it's way through the review and approval process. I also sent an e-mail to those already registered asking if they had any objection (and encouraged them not to).

Thanks!!

Also, I like the idea of the qualifying races. They certainly look like a way to appease everyone! I was a little worried that the qualifying race's time would be the only one that would count and not he morning qualifying, but since either qualifying session will be what determines your grid spot, then this is perfect!

Had a great morning run and need to bed brakes? Go for it, just go back of the pack.
Screw up morning? Go for it!
Want to have another "race"? Go for it!
Want to qualify by yourself? Start at the back
Happy with your time? Sit in the shade :)

-Tom

Butch Kummer
06-30-2008, 10:29 AM

. Pro-IT Race

The Chief Steward was on vacation with no access to e-mail, but the request HAS been approved! :happy204: We're in the process of changing it on DLB and the Atlanta Region website, then I'll send an e-mail to all those currently registered to let them know their race on Sunday MIGHT be changed by 45 minutes (max). Since the request orginated here, however, I'm letting y'all know early. :D

Now that you can't use the lack of prep time as an excuse not to register for the Pro-IT I'm expecting to see a MAJOR increase in registrations for that... :blink:

IPRESS
07-06-2008, 01:11 AM
Butch or any other GA guy,
Do you know which Hoosier distributor will be there that weekend? I need to order some tires.
Thanks, Mac

Harvey
07-06-2008, 09:24 AM
Appalachian Tire will be there as always.

Les Chaney

Gary Gentry
07-06-2008, 09:02 PM
Can anyone provide direction on where to find details about the Road Atlanta test day on Friday 07/18?

Also, for any with RA experience, are there good camping/electrical hook-up facilities available?

Thanks In Advance.

Butch Kummer
07-07-2008, 09:40 AM
Mac - Applachian Race Tire (865-681-6622) will be the Hoosier vendor.

Gary - Friday's test day is hosted by the track, but doing a quick look on their website I couldn't find any info yet so I'll wing it:

. generally four run groups that may be adjusted depending on counts
. no pre-registration required - bring your check to the window
. $225 for four 20-25 minute sessions
. they also pro-rate the day based on how many sessions are left when you sign in

Unless you get there VERY late in the weekend, electricity is available in the Paddock (at no charge to the competitors, BTW) and you can stay in self-contained motorhomes. Showers are available in the main restrooms, but I've never used them so I can't vouch for their level of "propriety." No water hook-ups AFAIK - not even in the Infield.

Hope to see y'all there...

IPRESS
07-07-2008, 10:15 AM
Thanks Butch, they got me covered this morning.
Showers ..... Not Holiday Inn Express, but as far as tracks go pretty decent.

Don't use all the hot water after the ProIT race..... or some people on a plane to Texas may be unhappy ! :))))

IPRESS
07-10-2008, 12:28 AM
One more question, who do we tell to not count us for series points. We don't want to screw up the points races (not that we will finish very high, but after the 12HR nothing surprises me ..... much?)

Butch Kummer
07-10-2008, 10:27 AM
At Registration tell them you want to waive your SARRC points. They should know what you're talking about, but if not find me (I'll be in my usual Paddock spot overlooking Turn One and the False Grid) and we'll fill out the proper forms.

Come to think of it, I'm not sure why that's not automatic. Since only SEDIV drivers can earn SARRC points, why does a non-SEDIV drivers have to fill out a form saying s/he is waiving their SARRC points? I'm pretty sure the answer will be "because we've always done it that way" :eek:, but I'll make a note to bring it up at the Mid-Year meeting.

Thanks...

Butch Kummer
07-15-2008, 08:55 AM
I brought up the question at our Board meeting last night and it ends up it's not Registration you tell that you want to waive SARRC points, it's Timing & Scoring. The folks at Registration know about it, however, and will send you in the right direction.

I'll still bring up the issue (OOD folks having to fill out a waiver form when they can't earn SARRC points) at the Mid-Year meeting next weekend.

NutDriverRighty
07-15-2008, 03:55 PM
Butch,
Are you planning to take part in this year's "Beauty Contest"?
For those of you who don't know, we're having a fundraiser for the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation where the guys dress up for a beauty contest (quite a surprise for Atlanta, huh?). The winner is decided by how much $ they raise for the foundation. I am a "contestant" and will be wandering the paddock on Saturday begging for donations. I'll be hard to miss........5'10", long black wig, snakeskin-print miniskirt, pot belly, about 250#s. Please support a Road Atlanta corner worker and fellow IT driver in unseating Fletcher from his three year reign as the "queen" of the paddock!

Scott Franklin
www.NutDriver.org

RacerBowie
07-16-2008, 12:36 PM
Hey Butch, any idea if anything is going on Thursday that would keep us from getting into the paddock before 5?

Butch Kummer
07-16-2008, 01:05 PM
Don't any of you guys work for a living?!? :rolleyes:

I'm not sure what time the Paddock Nazis will be getting there but they usually start marking spaces around 3:00 or so. You may want to call the track and see if anyone is using the track on Thursday.

Knestis
07-16-2008, 01:39 PM
... Come to think of it, I'm not sure why that's not automatic. Since only SEDIV drivers can earn SARRC points, why does a non-SEDIV drivers have to fill out a form saying s/he is waiving their SARRC points? I'm pretty sure the answer will be "because we've always done it that way" :eek:, but I'll make a note to bring it up at the Mid-Year meeting.

Thanks...

I have to admit that the thought occurred to me, as I was getting beat up on by The Canadians at VIR this spring. :p

K

RacerBowie
07-16-2008, 01:53 PM
Don't any of you guys work for a living?!? :rolleyes:

I'm not sure what time the Paddock Nazis will be getting there but they usually start marking spaces around 3:00 or so. You may want to call the track and see if anyone is using the track on Thursday.

I'll be getting there at 5 after "working" all day. I'm asking for Cameron, who works on the racecars for a living. I can't decide if he is the lucky one or not...

Butch Kummer
07-16-2008, 03:11 PM
I have to admit that the thought occurred to me, as I was getting beat up on by The Canadians at VIR this spring. :p

K

We'll have the same issue at Barber in a month as well - some pretty fair GTA drivers will be coming over from Texas and while I enjoy the competition I'm also concerned about the SARRC championship at the same time so there's no need to wad the car up trying to outrun them (after all, that's what the ARRC is for :blink:). They were good enough to waive the points last year and I expect them to do so again, but I feel kinda goofy about asking them to do so.

I'll let you know what I find out at the Mid-Year meeting.