PDA

View Full Version : Weight Distribution How To

ccasteel
06-09-2008, 12:19 AM
Okay, I've done my search to make sure I'm not asking a question already asked. Learned a lot in the process, but still need a little help with one.

I'm trying to balance my trailer load correctly.

The tongue weight is 1200#, which is 13% of the total trailer weight of 9200#. So I think I'm okay there. However, I ended up with 1700# on the rear axle and a negative 500# on the front. I have a weight distribution hitch, and don't revoke my "man card" but I read the directions first and followed them closely. Everything checks out per the directions, but on the way to the cat scales at the truck stop, it was swaying all over. Could have been the windy day, but taking 500# off the front axle can't be right. What's the next thing to try?

JoshS
06-09-2008, 12:26 AM
Crank those load bars tighter. If that would make things not level, drop your ball height a little and try again.

Do you have 1000lb load bars?

ccasteel
06-09-2008, 10:03 PM
Thanks Josh. I have 1200# load bars. I have a v-nose and the brackets are obscured under the sheet metal. So I had to use a jack to get one more length out. It took about 200# off the back and put it on the front, so I'm still light 300# up front. I dropped the hitch one hole and the trailer is all level again. It runs tons better, but I still think it needs more up front. Should my goal be to at least get back to the unhitched weight on the front axle? If I take out one more length I'm beyond the minimum reccommended by the Hitch mfg.

ccasteel
06-10-2008, 01:12 AM
Holy configuration batman, here I go again.

I've dropped the ball one more inch.
Added a smidge more angle to the bars.
And tightened the crap out of the chains.

I succeded in taking 300# more off the rear. 200# went to the front and 100# went back to the trailer. But now it handles like... well, let's just say it handles badly. And I'm sure it's in my head, but the Yukon seems to have lost some power after these last changes.

I'm getting to know all the different folks running the cat scales at my local truck stop.

All the instructions I can find on the internet tell me how to adjust it, but not what the end result should be. A multitude of configurations will give me a level ride with the ride heights the instructions call for. Do I just play until it feels good and looks level? Or do I need to make sure and achieve certain weights on each axle? Thank you for reading, and any knowledge you care to share.

:shrug:

JoshS
06-10-2008, 01:44 AM
I think the objective goal is to get the same amount of weight to be added to both the front and rear axles.

In reality, that's probably not realistic, nor is it what the car designers would expect. I mean, if you just load up the back of the truck with cargo (no trailer), the weight goes on the rear axle, with no additional weight on the front.

So, find a reasonable compromise. When you are done, the handling should be "confident," and the trailer should be level.

If you can't get there, you might have just a bit too much tongue weight.

lateapex911
06-10-2008, 08:40 AM
If I'm following the math right, you started light on the front by 500. Then you gained 300 (now -200), and then another 100, so you should be -100 on the front. Which is, as Josh points out, in the range of normal loading.

heck, if it doesn't wheelie over the bumps, you should be fine! ;)

planet6racing
06-10-2008, 08:54 AM
Okay, I've done my search to make sure I'm not asking a question already asked. Learned a lot in the process, but still need a little help with one.

I'm trying to balance my trailer load correctly.

The tongue weight is 1200#, which is 13% of the total trailer weight of 9200#. So I think I'm okay there. However, I ended up with 1700# on the rear axle and a negative 500# on the front. I have a weight distribution hitch, and don't revoke my "man card" but I read the directions first and followed them closely. Everything checks out per the directions, but on the way to the cat scales at the truck stop, it was swaying all over. Could have been the windy day, but taking 500# off the front axle can't be right. What's the next thing to try?

OK, lets try to figure this out by asking a few questions:

1) How did you measure the tongue weight?
2) 1700# on the rear axle of the trailer?
3) -500# on the front axle of the trailer?
3a) If this is the case, something is really wrong. Frt. Axle plus Rr Axle plus Tongue=total weight
4) How big is the trailer?
5) Where is the car on the trailer?
6) What else is in the trailer (weight and location wise)?

spnkzss
06-10-2008, 10:16 AM
Edit to remove whole thing caus eI totally read what was asked wrong.

CRallo
06-10-2008, 10:56 AM
OK, lets try to figure this out by asking a few questions:

1) How did you measure the tongue weight?
2) 1700# on the rear axle of the trailer?
3) -500# on the front axle of the trailer?
3a) If this is the case, something is really wrong. Frt. Axle plus Rr Axle plus Tongue=total weight
4) How big is the trailer?
5) Where is the car on the trailer?
6) What else is in the trailer (weight and location wise)?

well I and most of the rest of us can answer the first three(four)...

1. total change in tow vehicle weight (w/ and w/o trailer)
2. no, the rear axle of the tow vehicle
3. no, the front axle of the tow vehicle
3a. I went through the same thought process and then realized that couldn't be so I reread the info...

planet6racing
06-10-2008, 04:08 PM
well I and most of the rest of us can answer the first three(four)...

1. total change in tow vehicle weight (w/ and w/o trailer)
2. no, the rear axle of the tow vehicle
3. no, the front axle of the tow vehicle
3a. I went through the same thought process and then realized that couldn't be so I reread the info...

Ah, but you are assuming... I believe these are the correct answers, but I want to make sure we are all on the same page...

Sorry, it's what I do...

Gary L
06-10-2008, 07:47 PM
Ah, but you are assuming... I believe these are the correct answers, but I want to make sure we are all on the same page...

Sorry, it's what I do...
No assumptions required, if I read the paragraph correctly :). The net gain to the towing vehicle was 1200# (tongue weight), which manifested itself as as a 1700# gain on the rear axle of the Yukon, and a 500# loss on the front axle of same. 1700 less 500 equals 1200.

Also, it looks like he has the trailer loaded correctly, or he wouldn't have a 13% tongue weight (1200 divided by 9200). That should be about ideal, based on most towing recommendations of between 10 and 15%.

As others have already stated, I believe the ideal (most stable) towing setup with the load distribution hitch will have the front axle of the Yukon a little lighter than when empty, and a couple hundred pounds is certainly within reason, IMO.

tom91ita
06-13-2008, 12:10 PM
the 9200 #'s sounds like it is getting near the limit of the Yukon, isn't it?

jrvisual
06-13-2008, 01:47 PM
Federal Highway Administration recommend between 7% and 17% for trailers over 5000#. The happy place for each vehicle and trailer combination varies. You need to find the weight where you are comfortable going down the road and be able to repeat it.

I have a tow bar that will measure your tongue weight, so you never overload your vehicle.
If you want info on the tow bar email me. jeffreyroussel (at) bellsouth Dot net

ccasteel
06-26-2008, 11:06 PM
Oops! Got busy at work and home didn't make time to check in for a couple weeks. Want to give a big thanks and a follow up on where I finally ended up.

I got in touch with a tech at etrailer.com where I got the hitch. Great folks, really nice, but referred me to the mfg. tech line. After talking with them, there apparently is not as much "science" to it as I expected. If you keep the entire getup relatively level and close to the unloaded ride height, you have accomplised what was intended. After that It's a matter of tweaking it to where it "feels" best when driving. I found a couple configurations that achieved ride height and level. The one I landed on that "felt" the best, actually took a little more weight off the Yukon's front axle.

I ended up with 1200# tongue weight. 1500# on the Yukon rear axle and 300# off of the front axle. I would still like to get a few more pounds off the Yukon. So as time allows, I'm adding a tire rack in back to relocate those behind the trailer axles. As for the towing limits of the Yukon, it's 12,000#. I've got the 3/4 ton with an 8.1L big block. I try not to stray too far away from the gas stations.

Thanks again to all who responded. I learned a lot in the process. If anyone attempting the same has questions, I'd be glad to share. Next time I won't stay off line for two weeks.:eclipsee_steering: