PDA

View Full Version : SIC Technical Compliance...?

Knestis
06-08-2008, 10:06 AM
The SARRC rules stipulate that a member of the Compliance Crew shall be "invited" to the SIC but I'd like to hear from those who've been there in past years, re: the prevailing sense of preparation, capacity, culture, and implementation of compliance checking.

I'm worried less about what they check as a matter of course, and more about what a person is likely to experience if he submits a mechanical protest.

K

Butch Kummer
06-08-2008, 11:24 AM
I'm not sure about the prevailing attitude in IT cars, but among the GT drivers the ones that show up for the SIC are mainly those that have a chance of winning the Championship. You'll get a couple of folks per class that are there "just for the fun of it", but most are dead serious. The level of prep and "game face" is closer to a National weekend than a SARRC weekend.

In the past couple of years they've also adopted the "check weight and two other things" aspect of the National Impound procedures as well. Not as stringent as the ARRC, but again moreso than your typical SARRC. A couple of years ago they even had a "sniffer" that is used by the circle track crowd to check for doctored tires after qualifying.

As far as their attitude about mechanical protests, you've got SEDIV's DA of Tech heading up the effort that weekend and he brings in many of the top people from around the division (including the National Admistrator of Tech). They are VERY interested in making sure cars are compliant and I've found them very accomodating when discussing cars that might be taking liberties with rules interpretation. I haven't had to actually file a protest yet, but I've gotten no feedback discouraging me from doing so.

JeffYoung
06-08-2008, 11:46 AM
I agree with Butch. I can only speak for ITS, and anecdotal for SM, but for the guys actually running for the top few positions in points, I think it (the "feel" and the level of compliance) is ARRC like.

In ITS we haven't had any serious compliance issues, but yes, impound has involved weight and some checks.

In SM one year, I BELIEVE Jeremy came down with a cam doctor...and there was some late night work the night before the race as a result. Can anyone else confirm that?

ECR
06-09-2008, 06:03 PM
Been at the SIC evry year since'97 (except for'99).Never seen a cam doctor.However,in '06 ,top 5 SM had intake and exhaust ordered removed for inspection,and gear ratios checked ( by calculation).

Knestis
06-09-2008, 10:17 PM
That's somewhat encouraging...

K

Marlboro Mafia
07-01-2008, 08:25 AM
Jeremy Thoernes(sp?) appeared unnannounced in 2006 and actually effected the results of the championship as some SM drivers worked overnight to change cams. Last year, one or two of the front runners were DQ'd - one for a barely oversized plate(actually a manufacturing defect).

What's discouraging is that there has been NO tech this year so far in the SeDiv. This past weekend at Rockingham, there wasn't even a set of scales on site! Not even as much as the presence of restrictor plates has been checked and SM is even required to pay a compliance fee now.

wbp
07-01-2008, 09:09 AM
You are incorrect in stating that there has been no compliance checking in the SEDIV this year Marlboro Mafia. All five of the races I have attended this year have had a pre-planned compliance check in impound, including checking SM restrictor plates. Checking of those plates has included removal and measuring at some races.
The regional race at Rockingham wasn't a SARRC points event so I suppose the pressure to do checking there was minimum.

JeffYoung
07-01-2008, 09:12 AM
I think it varies from track to track. Also, if you consider checking kill switch operation and front spoiler height tech compliance, yes, I have seen some of that.

You are incorrect in stating that there has been no compliance checking in the SEDIV this year Marlboro Mafia. All five of the races I have attended this year have had a pre-planned compliance check in impound, including checking SM restrictor plates. Checking of those plates has included removal and measuring at some races.
The regional race at Rockingham wasn't a SARRC points event so I suppose the pressure to do checking there was minimum.

seckerich
07-01-2008, 09:57 AM
Every group at every SARRC race is required to have 2 items checked by tech. Sometimes it is easy stuff like ride height and kill switch. Other times it is more detailed. Do not expect tech to do the drivers job of tearing down cars. How would you feel if tech made you all pull heads on your dime?? If you want something checked then step up and write the paper. If you want something checked at the SIC contact the chief of tech prior to the event and give them a heads up. Make the arrangements to have the proper tools available to do the job. Want cams checked then call national and ask that some of the compliance money be spent on the race. Get involved or stop crying. Tech checks for safety and obvious non-compliance. Drivers are responsible for any other inspections.

kthomas
07-01-2008, 04:41 PM
Every group at every SARRC race is required to have 2 items checked by tech. Sometimes it is easy stuff like ride height and kill switch. Other times it is more detailed. Do not expect tech to do the drivers job of tearing down cars. How would you feel if tech made you all pull heads on your dime?? If you want something checked then step up and write the paper. If you want something checked at the SIC contact the chief of tech prior to the event and give them a heads up. Make the arrangements to have the proper tools available to do the job. Want cams checked then call national and ask that some of the compliance money be spent on the race. Get involved or stop crying. Tech checks for safety and obvious non-compliance. Drivers are responsible for any other inspections.

Werd.

Marlboro Mafia
07-02-2008, 08:02 AM
Thanks for the heads up. I'll be sure to switch out my trick kill switch before the next race.

The compliance fee is my way of being involved. If it's going to be used for kill switches and ride height checks, SCCA needs to rethink charging the fee.

seckerich
07-02-2008, 10:47 AM
Actually you need to get informed and call national. 100% of your fee is sent to them--not the region. We get NOTHING. If you want your super secret kill switch checked we got ya covered. Think everyone else is cheating and your "compliance fee" stops it--think again. You are getting shaken down by National in a regional program where you have very little chance of ever seeing a dime spent. Get in touch with your National BOD reps if you want something done. As I said before, get involved or stop crying. If you think in the 30 minutes regions have between races with maybe 3 tech VOLUNTEERS they have time to do your job, they do not. You don't get it and never will. Always want someone else to "get it done"