PDA

View Full Version : Repair work on the cage??

Z3_GoCar
06-06-2008, 12:03 AM
I've finally got the header piece of sheet metal and have the windshield frame pulled out close to where it should be. But, now the corner of the cage is pushed down maybe a couple of inches. When I inspected the tubes, I don't see any deformation in them or in the mount pads. So, I'm wondering about cutting out the bar that goes past my head and down the windsheld frame and down to the front pad. Or should I just apply some persuasion on the corner that's pushed down to try to get it closer. I was told, althought from what I've seen it's not true, that the under-chassis are cheap, so cheap in fact the cage is worth more than the under-chassis. So that it's more economical to pull the cage straight and roach the chassis even more for the sake of cutting out a straigher cage and putting it in a new chassis. At this stage, I'd rather save as much of the chassis and cage, and only change the least amount I can. Does this make sense? What experiences do you have piecing your car and cage back togeather?

James

joeg
06-06-2008, 10:46 AM
Cut the piece out and replace it.

Too much trouble to try and straighten it.

Speed Raycer
06-06-2008, 01:25 PM
Pics would go a long way here ;)

Z3_GoCar
06-06-2008, 03:24 PM
Is this what you were trying to say Scott??

This thread is worthless with out picture??

I'll take some this evening to add.....

Here's the damage, note the room between the bar and the windshield frame:
http://www.improvedtouring.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2&pictureid=144

For comparison purposes, here's the other side:
http://www.improvedtouring.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2&pictureid=145

Since there's no obvious wrinkles in the tube, I suspect there's a slight bend just above the door/firewall bars:
http://www.improvedtouring.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2&pictureid=146

Also, this bend appears like it's a little more round:
http://www.improvedtouring.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2&pictureid=147

The cage is from the rollcage guy, Mark McMahan, and has the down tube extending forward from the roll hoop then down the windshield frame to the floor. Would it be safe to cut this tube off the hoop and at the top of the door bars? I thought it had to be one piece, althoght I can envision cutting it out with a plasma cutter very gingerly to not remove any extra metal then grinding the welds down.
James

Dave Zaslow
06-07-2008, 07:09 AM
James,

There is no one better to answer this question than Mark. He is an excellent cage builder and should answer your questions.

DZ

Z3_GoCar
06-07-2008, 04:06 PM
Hey Dave,

That's a good idea. If I had the money, I'd probably send it to him, but with the cost of fuel I could probably build a new car. I didn't deal with Mark as I bought the car from TC who had the cage installed. I can't wait for this oil bubble to burst, and gas gets back to normal prices.

James

lateapex911
06-07-2008, 05:11 PM
Hey Dave,

. I can't wait for this oil bubble to burst, and gas gets back to normal prices.

James

Define "normal"...

I'd be thrilled if were $5 a gallo0n next summer, but I think it will be closer to $7-...

JeffYoung
06-07-2008, 05:32 PM
amen....this stuff is not going down....get used to it.

Define "normal"...

I'd be thrilled if were $5 a gallo0n next summer, but I think it will be closer to $7-...

Z3_GoCar
06-08-2008, 01:20 AM
Probably about $50 per. I found it interesting that when the SEC anounced an investigation the market price cooled by $4.50 in that one day alone. Note, who are hyping the $150-$200 barrel prices, the very guys that'll make a mint on oil in the futures market. The real reason for the cool off will be reduced demand, it's already happening over here that's why gas didn't go up as much as oil, but it will accelerate when the developing contries start to reduce their subsudies. We used to make a 200 mile trip every other week or so to go shopping and every other month drive 800 miles to the Bay Area and back to visit friends. No longer. I was asked to help flag for Cal-club, but decided to stay home today and attend the end of season meeting for my orchestra to save on gas and hotel money. My uncle sells a redrive kit for helicopters called Pro-drive, and is an annual vender at Sun'n Fun. He said the place was like a ghost town this year, hardly anyone was there. Everything I see says that gas use is going down, and I bet participation numbers from this year in all categories will show that.

James

Dave Zaslow
06-08-2008, 07:19 AM
James,

I'm not saying you should drive to Turkeyfoot Road in Akron. Mark does have access to the telephone and internet, even in Ohio...

DZ

Speed Raycer
06-08-2008, 08:51 AM
W/O knowing what took the hit, I'd say that the w/s bar took some abuse. Run a straight edge up the downbar and it looks like there is a "yeild" bend right at the w/s bar before the 2nd actual bend. So I'd guess the bend down at the dash is a little more than originally designed ;)

IF there isn't any noticable failure points (be sure to go all over the tubes for wrinkles/cracks/tears etc), I'd add a taco gusset at the dash bend and roof bend on the downbar, a rally style A pillar bar and call it a day.

Start yanking the dash out to get a really good look as you'll need sooner or later either way