PDA

View Full Version : New Anti Spam Feature - Moderators please read

webmaster
06-04-2008, 11:54 PM
Starting tonight all users will have to have 5 posts in order to include a URL into their post. This is just another step in an effort to thwart the spammers... Some more anti-spam measures are coming soon.

Knestis
06-05-2008, 12:02 PM
Am I still a moderator...? I don't think I see any links with any super powers...

K

tom_sprecher
06-05-2008, 12:23 PM
Am I still a moderator...? I don't think I see any links with any super powers...

K

Same here. What happened?

erlrich
06-05-2008, 12:41 PM

K
Do you have the toolbar across the top of the thread that includes "Thread Tools", "Search This Thread", "Rate Thread", "Diaplay Modes", and "Moderation"?

tom_sprecher
06-05-2008, 02:29 PM
Do you have the toolbar across the top of the thread that includes "Thread Tools", "Search This Thread", "Rate Thread", "Diaplay Modes", and "Moderation"?

Yeah but the arrow pointer does not turn into a finger but if I click it I see the options.

Nevermind. :blink:

Knestis
06-05-2008, 02:53 PM
I got no "Moderation" button...

My super powers are gone! I'm nothing.

K

lateapex911
06-05-2008, 02:59 PM
maybe not...look at the very right of those choices. On my screen, there is a small down arrow. Clicking on it brings moderation choices, and hovering over it causes a "moderation" balloon to float. i'm on Firefox.

erlrich
06-05-2008, 03:24 PM
I got no "Moderation" button...

My super powers are gone! I'm nothing.

K

I tried to tell you to quit hanging around with that Amy fellow, it was going to lead to nothing but trouble :018:

tom_sprecher
06-05-2008, 04:43 PM
I tried to tell you to quit hanging around with that Amy fellow, it was going to lead to nothing but trouble :018:

I heard the same thing, "nothing but trouble", tsk, tsk. :D

pgipson
06-05-2008, 06:46 PM
I've got a (green) DONATE button. Does that get me anything special?

Greg Amy
06-05-2008, 07:47 PM
I heard the same thing, "nothing but trouble", tsk, tsk. :D
:shrug:

lateapex911
06-05-2008, 08:08 PM
I've got a (green) DONATE button. Does that get me anything special?
Yup- it gets you the chance to keep the old site rolling along! ;)

webmaster
06-05-2008, 09:45 PM
Kirk, we can bump you up to modertor... I didnt realize you were one before. Just say the word if you have time to moderate.

On another note I added email verification tonight.

If you set this option to 'Yes' new members will not be allowed to post messages until they visit a link that is sent to them in an email when they sign up.

I thought this was enabled by default.. but just discovered it was not. Should thwart still more spammers...

Next I will be adding a "trick question" to the registration process that spammers from Beijing would not know but that any racer would...but what to ask that will not disuade a newbie car guy from joining?? hmmmmmm :shrug:
http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=205214

EDIT - Just tested the new features. Email response now required to register and the extra quetion to foil standard registration scripts has been added.... Works like a champ... I"m guessing we see very little spam until the next exploit of the forum software ios discovered...if ever. :happy204:

Z3_GoCar
06-05-2008, 11:06 PM
Thanks for not making the posting limit so onerous. I've been on another v-b list for three years and still don't have rights to upload a custom avitar:shrug: For the longest time I didn't have enough posts to do anything other than text. I tried to get around it, I think this is in the faq on message board posting, but I forgot the term. Where you waste litterally hours posting repeat messages to get your post count up. Above all I had dial up at the time too that would drop out right when I was ready to submit my message:blink: In the end the thread was erased and my post count fell back down to text only levels. For the next year I avoided that board like the plague.

James