PDA

View Full Version : Chicane or Not Chicane?

Catch22
06-02-2008, 07:39 PM
If thats the question, the answer is pretty simple...

CHICANE!!!

I just spent my first weekend racing at MO, with the chicane, and its one of the best sections of track I've ever been on. I LOVED it.

For folks that say you can't pass there... Uhhh... Whatever.
I made quite a few passes there, as did a bunch of other folks.

I can see where A Sedan and other "more power than handling" classes wouldn't want it, but for most IT cars its definately the way to go.

Can't wait until August!

RSTPerformance
06-03-2008, 10:48 PM
Combo for the weekend... Satuday with and Sunday Without!

Raymond

R2 Racing
06-03-2008, 11:35 PM
Condensed broken record response:

God intended for Mid Ohio to be ran with the chicane.
I'll show up either way.

Catch22
06-04-2008, 04:00 AM
I'm actually thinking the best "poll" if you are going to use one is to poll the pre-entered drivers. Otherwise there is no telling who is actually voting.

924Guy
06-04-2008, 08:54 AM

I'll show up either way.

+2!!! (I get two votes, since both my teammate and I are already signed up! ;) )

dj10
06-05-2008, 08:52 PM

I'll show up either way.

LOL Kevin, GOD'S A PRO and they run it without the chicane!:cool: Really don't matter to me, I can run it either way.

Greg Amy
06-05-2008, 09:01 PM
LOL Kevin, GOD'S A PRO and they run it without the chicane!:cool:
ZING! Well done, old chap; well done.

Catch22
06-07-2008, 03:42 AM
If Amy doesn't want it, what more proof do you need to use it?

What could be simpler?

Scott, who says "the drag strip is over there."

gran racing
06-07-2008, 07:21 AM

I'm sure you're just that much better of a driver, but I did find it difficult to pass some of those ITS cars that were involved in the ITB race. Not using the chicane would have provided an excellent place to accomplish this instead of my having to force it a bit more in a different place.

R2 Racing
06-07-2008, 08:31 AM

What could be simpler?

ZING! Well done, old chap; well done.

Really, I don't care a whole lot. Running with the chicane just seems "right" to me, but my car probably stands a better chance without it. As for running with cars out of class and having to maybe get a little more creative to make passes, my reaction to that is "Yea, that's Mid Ohio. Sounds about right." But, I get the point. Championship event - shouldn't have to deal with that (as much). Whatever, like I said, I'll show up either way.:eclipsee_steering:

Spinnetti
06-07-2008, 09:16 AM
If thats the question, the answer is pretty simple...

CHICANE!!!

I just spent my first weekend racing at MO, with the chicane, and its one of the best sections of track I've ever been on. I LOVED it.

I can see where A Sedan and other "more power than handling" classes wouldn't want it, but for most IT cars its definately the way to go.

Can't wait until August!

I'll second that.. its the best feature of the track for me...

Greg Amy
06-07-2008, 09:36 AM

What could be simpler?

:)

'Course, I could reply "well, if Giles doesn't want it, what more proof do you need?" and "The autocross track is over there." But I won't.

;)

Personally, I'd just like to try something different. Never raced there without the chicane, and this is the only opportunity I'll have. You guys that live nearby, on the other hand, not only have the advantage of running that way many, many more times than the folks making the long tows in (maybe familiarity being your primary reason for supporting it?) but I'm guessing you get at least a shot or two per year to try it the other way.

I'm also guessing the reason Pro chooses to run without it is pretty damn simple: it opens up a passing area that does not exist otherwise, making for better racing and spectating. Given I've got a dead-stock engine this year (and I'm a 4-cyl in FWD in ITS, no less!), and I find the chicane a PERFECT tool to block a faster, higher-horsepower car from passing me, I'll be fine...

:shrug:

Andy Bettencourt
06-07-2008, 10:35 AM
Chicane.

dj10
06-07-2008, 11:30 AM
:)

I find the chicane a PERFECT tool to block a faster, higher-horsepower car from passing me, I'll be fine...

Exactly Greg! I've raced it both ways, trust me you'll have fun with both. I like the idea of one day w/ chicane and one day without.

Catch22
06-07-2008, 11:46 PM
I'm sure you're just that much better of a driver, but I did find it difficult to pass some of those ITS cars that were involved in the ITB race. Not using the chicane would have provided an excellent place to accomplish this instead of my having to force it a bit more in a different place.

You kinda lost me there Dave. The end of a straight is not where I'm going to be passing ITS cars in my ITB car.
Just sayin'.

lateapex911
06-08-2008, 02:12 AM
It's the end of The straight we are talking about, not just any straight...and it follows a fast kink/turn, which is after another shortish straight.

What Dave is saying is that, the combination of corners (better shot out of the tricky combo leading onto the finish straight resulting in a closing coming into the bridge turn, and a better bridge turn speed) can lead to a overlap on that straight. But, it shuts down early for the chicane. Now, yes, typically, ITB cars shouldn't be passing ITS cars in that situation, but, hey, ITS cars shouldn't be racing with ITB cars AT ALL! So i see Dave's scenario as possible.

I know the exact situation occurred multiple times for me, an IT-7 car trying to get around ITA cars, and i was 1/3 alongside and gaining when the door would get shut. If I had had the extra bit of straight, the pass would have been made.

I think we are there to race, (which means pass) and tricky turn combinations create passing chances if they have appropriate straights following them to consolidate the gains made. And let's remember, adding the chicane was intended to keep cars out of the kitty litter on the outside, not to make for better racing.

Catch22
06-08-2008, 07:57 PM
I dunno and I can't relate Jake.
The situation I kept getting in with a particular ITS car last weekend was that the Chicane helped me keep him from dorking up my race with another ITB car.

He'd close on me on the front straight, then I'd pull away through turn 1, then he'd close on me again going up the hill. Had the chicane NOT been there he'd have passed me every time going into the keyhole and severely held me up. With the chicane, I could put enough distance on him through there and the keyhole that I could block him going into Madness and pull away again.

I also passed a few faster class cars in the chicane by getting inside them for the first right, holding the position on the outside through the left, and then having the inside line entering the keyhole. There are some other tricky lines you can use as well.

I'm probably giving up too many strategic points, but I honestly don't understand some of the thinking here. I have less horsepower... Give me more turns. I'll make the passes work there.
Maybe it comes from spending a few years in ITC, where the turns are the ONLY place you can pass.

tom91ita
06-08-2008, 10:24 PM
.....And let's remember, adding the chicane was intended to keep cars out of the kitty litter on the outside, not to make for better racing.

chicane was the original track. "pro" course change was added for champ cars, etc.

at least that is my memory of events. i am with Kevin on this. i love the chicane but will be there either way.

dominojd
06-09-2008, 06:44 AM
I have a perfect solution, who ever wants to use the chicane can and who ever wants to use no chicane can. This would make it even more interesting going into the Keyhole. :)

dickita15
06-09-2008, 07:44 AM
chicane was the original track. "pro" course change was added for champ cars, etc.

at least that is my memory of events. i am with Kevin on this. i love the chicane but will be there either way.

I was flagging the Trans Am/ Indycar race there in the Mid 80’s and an Indycar spun in the chicane and ended up all the way into the wall drivers left exit of the keyhole. The Indy guys were kind of freaked and the next year they had the Pro course. The Porsche won that race by the way.

gran racing
06-09-2008, 08:07 AM
Scott, beyond what Jake said... Last year we were doing similar times with a few ITS cars. While it may have been possible for me to pass one or two of the cars in the chicane, it would have hurt my lap time (as if spinning it during race one didn't :(). I also found that while some of the ITS cars we were running with had more power, the end of the back straight was a great place to make the pass as they were timid of going too deep under braking. Not using the chicane does create a better passing opportunity.

Giving up too many strategic points. LOL! Most of us ITB cars are not afraid of passing in corners or anywhere else including braking. Honestly I don't care much which configuration even if it's the dirt motocross track beyond the chicane.

downingracing
06-09-2008, 08:09 AM
I voted Chicane, only because there wasn't a vote for "don't care"... At an event like this, you can always run it one way on Sat. and the other way on Sun....

Matt
(Who just wants to go racing!)

lateapex911
06-09-2008, 08:40 AM
I'd be fine with "both", but I think Todd said "no can do" for some event specific/qualifying reason, like every session is a qualifying session for the next, but I could be wrong.

Andy Bettencourt
06-09-2008, 09:22 AM
Jake is correct. Just like our Memorial Day Triple, you have to qualify on the same config as you race...

Eagle7
06-09-2008, 12:34 PM
I have a perfect solution, who ever wants to use the chicane can and who ever wants to use no chicane can. :happy204:

Catch22
06-09-2008, 07:36 PM
I guess since I can't actually get close enough to an ITS car at the end of the straights to outbrake them that whole thing doesn't compute for me.

lateapex911
06-09-2008, 08:30 PM
I guess since I can actually get close enough to an ITB car at the end of the straights to outbrake them that whole thing does compute for me.

:happy204:

I knew you'd see the logic with a little help!

Kidding Scott, ;) Don't hate me~

gran racing
06-10-2008, 09:02 AM
Well maybe you just need a Kessler Engineering motor. :D

Scott, these were not the front running ITS cars but the mid to back of the pack ITS cars doing the same approximate times us ITB cars were doing. Some of them were new to racing, had more power than us but broke very early. You would have dealt with the same thing, which is exactly why I personally don't strongly care one way or another. This event will be my first race of the year, so I'll be psyched to shake off the cob webs and get out there.

Greg Amy
06-10-2008, 10:31 AM
Some of them were new to racing, had more power than us but broke very early.
As opposed to Dave, who broke halfway?

Sorry, couldn't resist... ;)

gran racing
06-10-2008, 10:54 AM
Hey, Matt told me to drive the wheels off that car and now I'm criticized for doing exactly that? Gesh.

924Guy
06-10-2008, 11:18 AM
Hey, Matt told me to drive the wheels off that car and now I'm criticized for doing exactly that? Gesh.

No, that's fine, you just keep on doin' whatcher doin'... :smilie_pokal:

Catch22
06-10-2008, 08:23 PM
:happy204:

I knew you'd see the logic with a little help!

Kidding Scott, ;) Don't hate me~

I was actually thinking that, but writing it myself would have depressed me.

Scott, who isn't exactly "fast" at the end of the straights. :(

PS - I was also dealing with an ITS car last weekend that was turning about the same lap times but was double digit MPH faster than me on the straights, and yeah, I'll take the chicane.

dominojd
07-01-2008, 07:26 AM
Well I read through the supps, yes I read. ;) It does not mention which configuration we are running, or did I miss it? Is this by design or is there gonna be a game time call? Inquiring minds want to know.

TAC
07-07-2008, 07:16 AM
Well I read through the supps, yes I read. ;) It does not mention which configuration we are running, or did I miss it? Is this by design or is there gonna be a game time call? Inquiring minds want to know.

O.K......Chicane in 2008. No Chicane 2009 Chicane 2010 No Chicane 2011 etc..etc..

lateapex911
07-07-2008, 10:56 AM
O.K......Chicane in 2008. No Chicane 2009 Chicane 2010 No Chicane 2011 etc..etc..
Seriously??

That's cool, actually.

tom91ita
07-07-2008, 11:39 AM
i am hoping for the chicane as a way to slow down certain other cars.

jake, i tried sending you an email about the hoosiers.

dj10
07-07-2008, 12:17 PM
i am hoping for the chicane as a way to slow down certain other cars.

jake, i tried sending you an email about the hoosiers.

No, it's a way to slow everyone down and eliminate a passing zone.

dominojd
07-07-2008, 12:59 PM

WAIT we had chicane last year so it should be no chicane this year. :D

TAC
07-07-2008, 06:36 PM

I thought about it but decided against it this year. I need some kind of incentive to get everyone to come back next year when gas drops to .20 cents a gallon. :p

dominojd
07-07-2008, 08:23 PM
I thought about it but decided against it this year. I need some kind of incentive to get everyone to come back next year when gas drops to .20 cents a gallon. :p

I could bring you a few cases of Yeugling to ease the thought process. :)

TAC
07-07-2008, 08:42 PM
T-minus 30 days and counting. There is no ease of thoughts till Saturday Aug. 9th. :blink:

Andy Bettencourt
07-07-2008, 08:50 PM
Sure you want another passing zone under hard braking? :)

R2 Racing
07-08-2008, 12:03 AM
I won't lie....even I thought the same thing.:blink:

Catch22
07-08-2008, 03:27 AM
No, it's a way to slow everyone down and eliminate a passing zone.

Doesn't slow me down much and adds a passing zone for me.
I passed an ITS BWM there more than once (unfortunately).

Just 'cause it isn't a passing zone for you doesn't mean its not a passing zone for everyone. Not everyone does all of their passing under braking at the end of a straight.
Just sayin'.

dominojd
07-08-2008, 06:11 AM
Sure you want another passing zone under hard braking? :)

I won't lie....even I thought the same thing.:blink:

You guys SUCK! :happy204:

RedMisted
07-17-2008, 12:00 AM
The chicane at MidOhio is the only place on that track where I feel a true adrenalin rush. Can't explain why, but it's true.

To those who don't know, the chicane was part of the original MO layout. The straight run up to the Keyhole was installed in later years...

dj10
07-17-2008, 07:59 AM
The chicane at MidOhio is the only place on that track where I feel a true adrenalin rush. ..

The rush is on the back straight when you hit your brakes and they don't stop you in a Porsche 944 turbo cup car!:cool: