PDA

View Full Version : Itr 300zx

JeffYoung
06-01-2008, 11:26 PM
I bought a car, and will start a LONG build process (focus is still on the TR8 for several more years).

Anyone else working on one? Email me at [email protected] if you want to swap ideas.

lateapex911
06-02-2008, 09:56 AM
Whooo boy. subscribed.

I'm thinking Jeffy got a raise at the firm. If he didn't, he'll need to! ;)

JeffYoung
06-02-2008, 10:21 AM
You know, after spending a lot of Saturday looking at parts and pieces, it ain't too bad. Junkyard running motors at $1k, built ones from Z1 at about $4k. Brakes, not too bad ($250 for a set of Hawk blues all around). ACT 6 pack clutch, about $500.

Plus, you can get running cars here on C-list for $3-4k all day long.

Just that damn weight. Jake, fix it!

Ron Earp
06-02-2008, 10:58 AM
I think Jeff is correct in that these aren't horrible expensive cars to purchase and build. Parts seem "reasonable" - not old Z car cheap, but not Porsche expensive either. The weight will cost the owner of the car though - it'll have to eat up tires and brakes faster than a car that weighs 800lbs less - the ones we're driving now.

Cool car, look forward to helping build it.

lateapex911
06-02-2008, 11:26 AM
Sure, Jeff, I'll get right on it!

And we know those engines are just limp wristed motivators that have no torque and run out of revs, right?

;)

JeffYoung
06-02-2008, 11:34 AM
They are an interesting beast that VG30 or whatever they call it. Most show about 180 whp and 175 wtq stock on a Dynojet, with the torque curve VERY flat and the hp rather peaky and not reaching a crescendo until 5500 to 6500 rpm.

Gains from simple stuff does appear to be substantial though. Deleting the clutch fan and replacing with an electric looks like about 8-10. Stillen claims 16 whp for their headers. Stock intake is restrictive, some gains there. I'm sure with a reasonable IT build about 220-230 whp and the same torque is acheivable.

Car seems classed right to me:

222 stock hp X 1.25 gain x. 11.25 hp/weight = 3120 plus 100 or so for aero and suspension.

This should be a bread and butter car for the class.

Sure, Jeff, I'll get right on it!

And we know those engines are just limp wristed motivators that have no torque and run out of revs, right?

;)

GKR_17
06-02-2008, 02:32 PM
222 stock hp X 1.25 gain x. 11.25 hp/weight = 3120 plus 100 or so for aero and suspension.

I think that one is assumed at 30%

JeffYoung
06-02-2008, 02:53 PM
That would explain it, and probably accurate too based on what I've read.

Z3_GoCar
06-02-2008, 03:46 PM
That would explain it, and probably accurate too based on what I've read.

If you think that's accurate, why in tarnation are you asking for a weight break??

I think you should just build one and run it. BTW, we've got one out here that runs in ITE, driven by your Uncle Joe. Ever heard of a radio show called "Rock Line"? That Uncle Joe. How Hollywood is that?

James

JeffYoung
06-02-2008, 03:58 PM
Uh, cause I was joking on the weight break?? Geez! Not all of us here are only out for the proverbial "me!" lol.......

Yes, I saw that webpage. N/A car too.

Ron Earp
06-02-2008, 05:39 PM
Whoa whoa whoa. Hold up.

Since when are you one of us Nissan boys? Now you work on one and all, but that doesn't mean you get to join the lofty ranks of Nippon Race Machine drivers.

I think we're going to have to class something British in ITR to keep you in your place and I have the perfect candidate - the Triumph Stag. You won't have to change your trailer paint colors, lettering, or anything.

I'll write the classification proposal tomorrow. There aren't any objections to V8s on the BoD or ITAC is there? I knew they were open minded and all....

JeffYoung
06-02-2008, 06:31 PM
No Stag for me my friend. TVR Griffith maybe.

GKR_17
06-02-2008, 07:14 PM
I think we're going to have to class something British in ITR to keep you in your place ...

Can't find any recent 2wd Jags with manual tranny's (the S-type would have been a good candidate). Maybe a Lotus... What year is that Elise? Same engine as the Celica already in R right? Probably run about the same weight... 400 lbs over stock.

Edit - maybe more since the Celica has a FWD subtractor

JeffYoung
06-02-2008, 07:37 PM
Hmm...is tough to think of any Britshit in the 190 to 240 stock hp range.

Elise/Exige, same as the Celica motor, just lighter cars. They would be in R I suppose.

No TVRs sold in the US since the mid 80s.

Aston Martins -- all could be had with 5 speeds and V8s, but too much power.

Rover SD1 Vitesse was a great touring car race car, and 190 stock hp, 220 stock torque, but not many here in the US.

The pickings are slim. Which is a GOOD thing....lol.....

JoshS
06-02-2008, 07:51 PM
Elise/Exige, same as the Celica motor, just lighter cars. They would be in R I suppose.

I know we're all joking here, but these cars couldn't go into R. They would need too much ballast to meet process weight. I wouldn't be surprised if the GVWR is less than process weight.

JeffYoung
06-02-2008, 08:16 PM
Yeah, probably what, 400 lbs? My Exige is 2000 lbs curb weight. So maybe 200 lbs once you account for driver and gas. Close to doable but I agree the ballast required is a lot.

JoshS
06-02-2008, 08:19 PM
Jeff, out of curiosity, what's the GVWR on your car? It's probably on the DOT tag which is usually in the door jamb.

JeffYoung
06-02-2008, 08:23 PM
It's 1980 or something like that.

JoshS
06-02-2008, 09:14 PM
It's 1980 or something like that.

No, that would be the curb weight. The GVWR is the max total weight the chassis is built to handle. Its the weight of the car, all fluids, and the total allowed weight of people and cargo.

tbtapper
06-03-2008, 09:13 AM
The 300zx would be a very interesting contender in "R". I had a 1994 coupe and it was one of my favorite cars. It was the most reliable vehicle I ever had equivalent to the Miata, actually nothing ever went wrong.

From what I remember it will be a momentum car much like the RX7, torque was modest relative to the weight. Brakes were pretty good but again compared to weight not sure how that will pan out. The RX7 will definitely have the advantage there.

All the motors except the turbo have variable valve timing of some sort that may offer some challenges but it may be easy to disable. Now that we can substitute ECU's the engine management element should be pretty easy. (Wolf, Stillen, APEXi)

This car has crossed my mind on several occasions, the running gear should be totally bullet proof Nissans have always been and the motor is very stout.

Looking forward to more "variation" in our ranks although the TR8 does add may more than it's share of uniqueness to our ranks you've certainly evolved that platform to a pretty high level.

Hope to see ya at Barber might have to spring for some new tires so that I can keep out of the IT7's way I'm tired of fixing body work and paint!

Travers
ITS 19

JeffYoung
06-03-2008, 09:43 AM
And the TR8 will continue to evolve. I plan on staying in that car for at least 3-4 more years, maybe longer. 300zx was too good a deal so I bought, may or may not build it up. Stock it makes about 180 whp and 170 wtq so for its weight I think you are right, it is not the torque monster I thought it may be. Lots of racing stuff out there for it.

In any event, all of htis is premature......TR8 for the foreseeable future.....no Barber for me though, Nashville in a week and a half and then car goes to body shop for dent repair and paint. Daytona, SIC, CMP, October VIR and then I hope the FI motor will be done and ready to install.

Butch Kummer
06-03-2008, 09:54 AM
No ARRC by GRM, Jeff?

JeffYoung
06-03-2008, 11:31 AM
I'm scairt of Road Atlanta....lol...

Not this year, but next, definitely.

Tristan Smith
06-03-2008, 11:43 AM
Jeff, I am jealous. I seriously looked at buying that car myself. But the funds weren't there at that moment. But now the house renovation is done, and the 240sx is being put back togther now. If you decide to sell it, let me know directly. God knows I need yet another project to pour all my money into (cause I havent been doing that lately HA). Im not sure it is a absolute winner, but I am a Nissan guy.......period. hey I am in Durham covering Kennedy[s surgury. Arent you in the area?

JeffYoung
06-03-2008, 11:58 AM
Excellent on the house!

You have first dibs on the car if I sell. This is the car (well, I wanted to do a 928 but that car is silly, and not even classed yet) I wanted for ITR. I intend to build it slow and "watch" and see how ITR develops. I think it 50% chance at best I race it - you get it if I don't.

I am in the RTP today, leaving late tonight for Greeneville SC, but could get a beer later in Durham on the way out if you around. E-mail me at [email protected] and I'll p.m. you my cell.

Jeff, I am jealous. I seriously looked at buying that car myself. But the funds weren't there at that moment. But now the house renovation is done, and the 240sx is being put back togther now. If you decide to sell it, let me know directly. God knows I need yet another project to pour all my money into (cause I havent been doing that lately HA). Im not sure it is a absolute winner, but I am a Nissan guy.......period. hey I am in Durham covering Kennedy[s surgury. Arent you in the area?

GKR_17
06-03-2008, 07:06 PM
All the motors except the turbo have variable valve timing of some sort that may offer some challenges but it may be easy to disable.

Not legal unless you do it with the ECU.

DavidM
06-04-2008, 02:17 PM
Looks like you bought the BB racing one. I too was tempted at that price. I decided to stick with the 240 instead. Found a really nice body for $775 that I drove home. I'm thinking of "porting" everything from the current car into it. I'll post pics eventually.

Motor designation for the 2nd gen 300ZX is VG30DE. The twin-turbo is VG30DETT. There's tons of knowledge on the 95 and earlier OBD I motors. There's even a few homegrown engine management systems that people have developed that are pretty cool (and cheap). The slick-top should be a good start to a competitive car. Balanced Performance is another shop in the Atl area that's done a lot of work on these cars, but they tend to be on the pricey side. www.twinturbo.net (http://www.twinturbo.net) is a good site for info.

Looking forward to seeing it up and running.

David

Prince Makaha
06-04-2008, 04:27 PM
Doesn't the VG30 out of the Z31 have 160hp stock and the Z32 vg30de have 222hp?

lateapex911
06-04-2008, 04:46 PM
Doesn't the VG30 out of the Z31 have 160hp stock and the Z32 vg30de have 222hp?

Z31 later years made 165hp/174tq.

Z32 VG30De made 196/188

JeffYoung
06-04-2008, 05:28 PM
No, Prince is right. Z31 was 160 hp stock. Z32 na is 222.

betamotorsports
06-04-2008, 06:48 PM
The VG30E (1987 and later) in the Z31 made a little more horsepower and torque then the earlier VG30. In an ITS engine build it probably doesn't matter which one you start with, but if you're buying junkyard engines and running them its worth the effort to find the later VG30Es.

The VG30DE respopnds well to a typical IT build. Jim Thompson at Sunbelt probably knows the most about these engines. A well built and driven Z32 should give the BMWs fits.

BTW... anyone propsed classing the 2003 350Z in ITR? (ducks) :D

-----
John Coffey
[email protected]
http://www.betamotorsports.com

GKR_17
06-04-2008, 07:05 PM
BTW... anyone propsed classing the 2003 350Z in ITR? (ducks) :D

If you neglect the 240hp limit for ITR, the process puts that car at 4200 lbs...

betamotorsports
06-05-2008, 11:52 AM
Yeah, I kinda figured. Cal Club has a regional RS (radial sedan) class where the 350Z would have to run at 4,600 lbs with driver. I can't imagine the passenger floor supporting 1,000 lbs. of ballast. :eek:

fiat124girl
06-05-2008, 04:02 PM
Oh my gosh! You just wanted to be like your favorite controller at ABB!!!

We are building one too.

JeffYoung
06-05-2008, 04:03 PM
No kidding!?! Stay in touch then. Mine is definitely a long term build, but I'm already scrounging a bit for parts. Man it will be nice to have 4 wheel discs and EFI.

When do you expect to have yours finished?

fiat124girl
06-05-2008, 04:18 PM
I hope that it will be done by ARRC but that all depends on the money situation. It should be fun. I will let you know if we find any great deals on stuff.

lateapex911
06-05-2008, 04:47 PM
Better update that website Jennifer! :)

JeffYoung
06-05-2008, 05:03 PM
Funny story on how Jennifer and I came to find out we both race....

I was working with her company on a rather nasty piece of litigation with the Government, and while I'd been to her factory before in St. Louis several times I had not since she took over as controller.

I was sitting in a conference room with the GM of the plant and we got to talking about what he did for fun (his daughter was a top notch softball player and he spent a lot of ime on that) and I mentioned racing. He said oh! My controller races! Let me call them over.

I suspected it would be a roundy round guy, mid 50s.

In walks Jennifer.

And actually, her and her husband's website was one of the first I found when I started thinking about going IT racing. In fact, I remember thinking, hell, if they can make a Fiat race with modern stuff, I can do the same with a TR8! So yes, her and her husband are at least partially responsible for my insane car choice.......

They are good folks, and long time racers.

Mike Mackaman
06-07-2008, 03:22 PM
Obviously it doesnt take much to lead you astray, he says from the cafe in Paris, while sipping a Heineken.

Send me a message if you need cage work. If I remember the add you are good to go, but I can bend 1 1/2 and 1 3/4 tubing and notch and weld anything.

Mike

Bryan88
06-08-2008, 09:15 AM
Looks like the Nissan club is getting a new member....

My first gen 300zx ITS project is going slow......but I hope to
have it on the track at the first of the season next year......

fiat124girl
06-10-2008, 02:37 PM
Better update that website Jennifer! :)

I know, this is the downside to not maintaining it ourselves. I have no idea how Pete does that stuff so we have to ply him with alcohol and other goodies to get it updated!

Soon, I promise....