PDA

View Full Version : Left Ohio / New to Pacific Northwest

iagreen
06-01-2008, 08:17 PM
I'll make a post in this dead forum just in case. :024:

I thought maybe I'd make a post here about my move even though the car won't move for a bit.

Oh yeah, bye all you guys from Great Lakes Div. I forgot to go by a race and say farewell. http://www.roadrace-autox.com/bbs/images/emoticons/bleh.gif But you'll see me in August.

I just moved to Portland Oregon from Columbus Ohio (ex Ruck roomie/teammate). Still learning my way around and where I'm going to settle into permenantly. Went by PIR to watch some of the Rose Cup races today. I didn't get to see the whole track, but I'll say sitting in one spot of the grandstands and being able to see 8 corners isn't bad.

I won't have my car (ITA CRX) out till maybe sept/oct as I want to leave it in Ohio for the IT Fest then bring it out. So you won't see me on track here till maybe the last event. But I may be out spectating or even crewing if I run into someone who needs a hand and I feel like taking a weekend off home searching.

I will take any suggestions or advice on anything related to racing out here (tracks, clubs, alignment shops, tire stores, etc). Especially if anyone knows of a race shop that stores cars or anyone looking to split a shop or share a garage. (I'm debating just getting an apartment till I learn the area better).

Oh, and yes, I do have rain tires. http://www.roadrace-autox.com/bbs/images/emoticons/green_flag.gif

RacerBill
06-02-2008, 07:20 AM
Ian: We're going to miss you. :(

See you on the hill in August.

lateapex911
06-02-2008, 09:58 AM

See you on the TRACK in August.

Fixed that for you Bill! I know your car, will be on the lookout to say hi.

KelleyHux
06-03-2008, 08:00 PM
Ian ...

Go to www.oregonscca.com - then call the RE, Dan Halloran. He's a racer, and he can probably put you in touch with some other racers.

Then call Randy Unsbee. He's the newsletter editor - and they generally have a good feel for what's going on in the club.

Then volunteer for an event or two - help out as a flagger (don't worry, they'll train you), or in another specialty. It's a good way to meet people, and develop quick friendships. You'll find they're generally a very friendly bunch in the Pacific Northwest.

If you run across Duck and Mindy Allen, Randy Unsbee, and Jeff Zurschmeide, be sure and tell them "Hello" for me!

Kelley Huxtable
DMVR
"PLAY SAFE"

itmanta
06-03-2008, 08:51 PM
Welcome to Portland. Along with a healthy SCCA roster we also have the ICSCC to race in. Come by the track June 7/8 and enjoy some Conference racing. I will be in a silver ITB Opel Manta.

RacerBill
06-04-2008, 07:10 AM
Fixed that for you Bill! I know your car, will be on the lookout to say hi.

But they moved my car to ITB, remember? :rolleyes:

Knestis
06-04-2008, 08:18 AM

See you on the hill in August.

I'm guessing but this suggests that you might be a fan of hillclimbs...?

There's a long history of GREAT hillclimbs out there, with a series centered in southern Oregon - http://www.nhahillclimb.org/08Schedule.html

Some of my very best racing memories are from those events.

K

EDIT - and ICSCC is a great option. There's a decades-old rivalry there with NW/OR Regions, and some good stories re: how Conference came to be in the first place, but there's also a core of driver who are willing to cross the club lines in the interest of the sport.

RacerBill
06-04-2008, 10:35 AM
I'm guessing but this suggests that you might be a fan of hillclimbs...?

There's a long history of GREAT hillclimbs out there, with a series centered in southern Oregon - http://www.nhahillclimb.org/08Schedule.html

Some of my very best racing memories are from those events.

K

EDIT - and ICSCC is a great option. There's a decades-old rivalry there with NW/OR Regions, and some good stories re: how Conference came to be in the first place, but there's also a core of driver who are willing to cross the club lines in the interest of the sport.

Naaaaahhhhh. We were talking about 'the hill' at Mid-Ohio, famous for the Downing fire-ring and other ceremonies (having to do with mass consumption of intoxicants).

You have to make it up there in August.

iagreen
06-04-2008, 10:45 PM
Thanks for the comments. I was going to swing by PIR again Sunday to check out the competition. And maybe say hi to some people too. =P

I'm orginally from So Cal and a friend of mine used to come up to OR every year for a FIAT club hillclimb, so I'm familiar with their popularity. Could be fun, may have to look into it later.