PDA

View Full Version : re itc itb civics 84-87

dazzlesa
05-29-2008, 03:59 PM
what rear springs do you use. i run itb. thanks rick

Greg Amy
05-29-2008, 04:42 PM
You have Scott Giles' contact info? He had the fastest one at the ARRC a few years ago...

iambhooper
05-29-2008, 05:14 PM
If we're talking about Scotts red car, it was a later civic ('88-91). For the earlier models, I beleive people are using between 400-600# springs, depending on setup. You want to acheive max rotation, without the rearend completely coming around.

What is the setup ont he rear of the car? Stock Swaybar, aftermarket, combo, dont know?

dazzlesa
05-29-2008, 08:59 PM
i do not know scott g. right know there is no rear bar and 350 lb springs. i still have a front bar. it has 29mm torsion bars. i was going to order a aftermarket bar for the rear. i was going to disconect the front bar.

Xian
05-29-2008, 10:20 PM
You have Scott Giles' contact info? He had the fastest one at the ARRC a few years ago...
Yeah, Scott's car was a 88-91... completely different animal from the earlier cars.

FWIW, Richard Floyd over on RR-AX.com has a fast ITB CRX (had? It got crunched at CMP and is being fixed). It's not quite the same as a Civic chassis but it might help you get in the ballpark.

Christian

bamfp
05-29-2008, 11:04 PM
With 29mm t-bars I would loose the front bar use 600# rear springs and weld up the sway bar that is inside the rear axle. That is what I set my friend Ivan's 86 CRX up with and it was great.

Blake Meredith

R2 Racing
05-29-2008, 11:41 PM
With 29mm t-bars I would loose the front bar use 600# rear springs and weld up the sway bar that is inside the rear axle. That is what I set my friend Ivan's 86 CRX up with and it was great.

Blake Meredith

Yup, sounds about right.:smilie_pokal:

cafcwest
05-30-2008, 12:09 PM

Blake Meredith

Blake,

Why would you recommend ditching the front bar?

My car has 29mm front T-Bars and the stock front bar and it still has too much body roll in low speed corners for my liking, and is really too soft for auto-x.

Thanks,

-Jayson

tom91ita
05-30-2008, 12:20 PM
do you have limited slip and final drive upgrade? this will make a difference on what front bar, if any. i had some issues with losing traction on the inside wheel depending on front bar and front springs.

i have 27.5mm front and 450# rear springs with a 3/4" adjustable rear bar (stock rear bar removed) and stock front bar. i too have too much front roll.

ITC Racer
05-30-2008, 01:03 PM
In my 85 CRX Dx setup for ITC, I have an adjustable rear ~3/4" sway bar and 600 #/inch springs which combined with the front 21mm sway bar and either stock or maybe 23mm front torsion bars, the thing is pretty quick and body roll is not too bad. I have either a stock final drive or SI and the Mugen LSD which works pretty well in the midwest.

dazzlesa
05-30-2008, 02:06 PM
i have a phantom limited slip and a 4.4 final drive

bamfp
05-30-2008, 05:28 PM
If you do not have a good LSD you will just get some wheel spin since the sway bar is unloading the inside front. The turn in seems faster to me without the front bar. If you were to run a front bar HF is the way to go. If it leans to much then Jay Griffin has gotten some 31mm bars made. A friend that autocoss an 85 CRX has the 29's and a stock front bar and we have put the tow hooks on the ground. That is leaning over.

Blake

tom91ita
05-30-2008, 07:53 PM
i went back and edited my post. i want 29mm but currently have 27.5mm.

iambhooper
05-30-2008, 10:06 PM
Since everyone else is sharing there setup, why not? Eh? My car came with stock front and rear bars, 25mm Tbars and what I thougt was 500# springs... the car handled very nice ( I race VIR as much as I can), but we always want more.

Since the 1st and 2nd race weekends, I installed new shocks and struts, discovered that my existing springs were actually 450#, I changed to 550# springs, removed the rear bar and added a ST rear sway bar. The car handled nice, it stuck the corners well. My lap times werent where they should be, but that was just getting the alighnment right.

hoop

Zephyr
06-04-2008, 01:15 PM
I'm running the same setup as Tom or I was up until the end of the season. I remove the swing axle/internal swaybar and replaced them with the left side axle stub. I also disconnected my rear 3/4" swaybar. I think I'm going to reconnect it as I feel it has a little too much roll.

On my girlfriends Civic we are running the ST rear bar, I'm not sure what the spring rate is but i'm going to have to say at least 450's. The front swaybar is disconnected and the car rolls far to much for my liking. I plan on reconnecting it. The car also is lowered too much and I plan to raise it up at least 1/2 an inch.

From my experience I have found that the CRX is a lot more twitchy then the Civic. I have had two of each at this point and still can't decide which I like better. I do tend to like the car to be not sprung too tight though. I do like a little bit of roll.

dazzlesa
06-04-2008, 02:29 PM
who's is considered a good lsd? muegan? also my civic is not sprung like my acura, but civic feels like it has 1000lb springs

CRallo
06-04-2008, 03:44 PM
Hey Rick,

If you are going to put some time and resources into the setup of that car I would strongly reccomend upgrading those shocks if you weren't already planning on it. not only are you already over sprung for those poor things but some tunability would go along way as well.

Good job at NHMS again btw! :)

~Chris

Greg Gauper
06-06-2008, 09:15 AM
Here's a link to a three-part series on how to make your own adjustable rear swaybar using off the shelf circle track stuff (Speedway or Coleman).

This gives you an almost unlimited choice of diameters and, in the case of lighter, hollow bars, different wall thicknesses.

Enjoy!
Part 1:
http://www.redpepperracing.com/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=20659&view=findpost&p=364794
Part 2:
http://www.redpepperracing.com/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=20659&view=findpost&p=367277
Part 3:
http://www.redpepperracing.com/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=20659&view=findpost&p=372796