PDA

View Full Version : NHMS - Memorial Day Weekend

Jeremy Billiel
05-19-2008, 11:42 AM
No playful banter yet? I just looked at the weather and so far so good. I know I am excited to get out for the first time in almost a year. Now I have to shave off 2 seconds to get my steak dinner. (Get ready to pay up Joe)

VTEC has been fixed in the GSR and my prediction for Greg when he runs DP will be a 1:15 under his ITA track record.

I am looking to finish top 10 in ITS and to break into the 1:16's.

stevel
05-19-2008, 01:15 PM
No playful banter yet? I just looked at the weather and so far so good. I know I am excited to get out for the first time in almost a year. Now I have to shave off 2 seconds to get my steak dinner. (Get ready to pay up Joe)

VTEC has been fixed in the GSR and my prediction for Greg when he runs DP will be a 1:15 under his ITA track record.

Don't take me too seriously here as I have a big smile on my face saying this, but I think you're on crack for both those predictions.

Look back over ITS times from last year. Sub 1:15 (during the race) would pretty much be a lock for 1st in ITS, and probably pretty damn close to the track record. And just being in the 1:16 range for most races gets you a top 3 in ITS.

I just don't see either combo of car/driver doing that. While this hasn't been a particulary warm month of May so far, even so I don't think the weather conditions are going to be be advantageous for power, which is what you would need to have a chance.

Like I said, take it lightly as I like you guys and have fun joking around with you guys.

But seriously, those are LOFTY goals. If I were you, I think staying in the 1:17s consistently during the race would be an accomplishment all its own, seriously.

s

Jeremy Billiel
05-19-2008, 01:23 PM
Don't take me too seriously here as I have a big smile on my face saying this, but I think you're on crack for both those predictions.

Look back over ITS times from last year. Sub 1:15 (during the race) would pretty much be a lock for 1st in ITS, and probably pretty damn close to the track record. And just being in the 1:16 range for most races gets you a top 3 in ITS.

I just don't see either combo of car/driver doing that. While this hasn't been a particulary warm month of May so far, even so I don't think the weather conditions are going to be be advantageous for power, which is what you would need to have

Like I said, take it lightly as I like you guys and have fun joking around with you guys.

But seriously, those are LOFTY goals. If I were you, I think staying in the 1:17s consistently during the race would be an accomplishment all its own, seriously.

s

We have a taker of the bait! Thanks Steve!

Agreed the goals are VERY optomistic, but hey I need to shoot for something!

Why the ITS times are slower than ITA times is another discussion altogether, but I will take consistent 1:17's all day.

Tkczecheredflag
05-19-2008, 01:37 PM

Why the ITS times are slower than ITA times is another discussion altogether, but I will take consistent 1:17's all day.

Jeremy - Could it be that the faster ITA times and track records are being posted by previously classified ITS cars:shrug:??? Just a thought. I'm not arguing the re-class but it makes you wonder just a little - No??

stevel
05-19-2008, 02:15 PM

If Greg CAN run lower 1:15s consistently, then why are YOU running the car in ITS? With those times he'd be in the mix of the top 3. Again, I don't think that's gonna happen, but if thats what you think then it doesn't make sense for you to run the car in ITS.

As far as ITS and ITA times at that track, I just think it's the nature of the track and the cars. Again, a whole 'nother discussion altogether. But I think the track, wheel widths, brakes, and extra weight all play a factor.

That said, ITS cars HAVE run 1:13.8, just not during a race. :eek:

s

Jeremy Billiel
05-19-2008, 02:28 PM
If Greg CAN run lower 1:15s consistently, then why are YOU running the car in ITS? With those times he'd be in the mix of the top 3. Again, I don't think that's gonna happen, but if thats what you think then it doesn't make sense for you to run the car in ITS.

As far as ITS and ITA times at that track, I just think it's the nature of the track and the cars. Again, a whole 'nother discussion altogether. But I think the track, wheel widths, brakes, and extra weight all play a factor.

That said, ITS cars HAVE run 1:13.8, just not during a race. :eek:

s

Oh its clear that Greg is a much better driver than I. However he is at LRP on Saturday so it makes no sense for me to race Satruday and then have Greg start from the back of the pack Sunday morning. He is going up to do some further testing. I am happy to see that the GSR is finally getting dialed in.

Interesting observation Tim!

Greg Amy
05-19-2008, 03:18 PM
I just don't see either combo of car/driver doing that...
And, thusly, the gauntlet was thrown to the ground...the crowd waited in anticipation for one of the warriors to pick it up...

dominojd
05-19-2008, 03:20 PM
No playful banter yet? shave off 2 seconds to get my steak dinner. (Get ready to pay up Joe)

I think I made a safe bet, you'll be lucky to get into the 1:17's. :)

Jeremy Billiel
05-19-2008, 03:47 PM
We will see... Only time will tell.

I just bought brand new sticker tires too! Money is no object!

Andy Bettencourt
05-19-2008, 03:52 PM
Greg getting into the 15's should be no problem. You into the 16's...now that is another issue!

ITA isn't faster than ITS at NHMS. Last year was a perfect storm of run groupings and weather. ITS track record is a 1:14.2 and an offical qual time of 1:13.8. Ain't no ITA car ever gonna hit that.

Good weather should have the chicane/chicane record fall for ITS. Qual times have been in the 1:18's for ITS...

Jeremy Billiel
05-19-2008, 03:59 PM
Greg getting into the 15's should be no problem. You into the 16's...now that is another issue!

ITA isn't faster than ITS at NHMS. Last year was a perfect storm of run groupings and weather. ITS track record is a 1:14.2 and an offical qual time of 1:13.8. Ain't no ITA car ever gonna hit that.

Good weather should have the chicane/chicane record fall for ITS. Qual times have been in the 1:18's for ITS...

What are you saying Andy? I suck? If so you are correct! :happy204::happy204:

I am shooting for it. We will see what happens. All I have to do is grow some balls and go through turns 1 and 2 better.

Andy Bettencourt
05-19-2008, 04:05 PM
Not saying that at all - just haven't seen you get much seat time as all. A good goal to have - hope you nail it!

dominojd
05-19-2008, 04:28 PM
All I have to do is grow some balls and go through turns 1 and 2 better.

Ask Stepanie if you can borrow them for the weekend, ya know once she cut them off they will never grow back. :)

gran racing
05-19-2008, 05:38 PM
So you saying Jeremy had balls at one time?? :D

Jeremy Billiel
05-19-2008, 08:07 PM
On a somewhat similiar note, we have a vacancy in one of our garages so if anyone needs a home please let me know.

hunter164
05-19-2008, 09:32 PM
As much fun as it is watching the ITS race a lap down in our not so ITS Miata, with Brandon trying to take the SM crown this year I am borrowing a SSM car to see how slow I am in a fair battle. But if you guys miss me too much, maybe next race Ill get back out there! :) P.S. the 300zx is heading down to NC so I would be happy to pass along any good bye wishes for everyone... my pink miata should be underway soon

Greg Amy
05-19-2008, 10:07 PM
... my pink miata should be underway soon
:017:

What, like driving a Miata isn't ghey enough all by itself...?

:shrug:

:D

hunter164
05-19-2008, 10:14 PM
:017:

What, like driving a Miata isn't ghey enough all by itself...?

:shrug:

Exactly. If we weren't going to use it as a rental I was going to put pink numbers on it, a rainbow front bumper, "Hit me here" on the rear bumper, and the rear window would have a sticker that said, "I'm not Ghey but my car is". Would be easy to pick out of the crowd that way I think! :eclipsee_steering: Alas, not very rentable so we might have to forgo that and keep it simple...

At least then Jeremy could drive it when his wife doesn't give him his turn with the balls...

JLawton
05-20-2008, 06:53 AM
Exactly. If we weren't going to use it as a rental I was going to put pink numbers on it, a rainbow front bumper, "Hit me here" on the rear bumper, and the rear window would have a sticker that said, "I'm not Ghey but my car is". ...

Or a sticker that says, "Don't hit me, I'm a girl!"...................

Oh wait, that's been done............

Predictions for Jeremy: High 1:17s............

Jeremy Billiel
05-20-2008, 07:17 AM
Predictions for Jeremy: High 1:17s............

No Faith...

Andy Bettencourt
05-20-2008, 07:42 AM
No Faith...
Is there any history we should look back on to HAVE faith?

:)

Jeremy Billiel
05-20-2008, 08:36 AM

Valid argument. Boy it seems like my goals are waay to lofty or I have a lot of people to impress or BOTH!

I was studying up last night watching video and review data. I have the information on where I need to improve. Now I just need to execute!

We will see! But I am really looking forward to the test day.

Greg Amy
05-20-2008, 08:49 AM
Yup, he's got something NONE of you guys do, the one big ace-in-the-hole you can only WISH for: tGA as a coach.

Screw those guys, dude, you're rollin'...

:smilie_pokal:

Jeremy Billiel
05-20-2008, 09:09 AM
Yup, he's got something NONE of you guys do, the one big ace-in-the-hole you can only WISH for: tGA as a coach.

Screw those guys, dude, you're rollin'...

:smilie_pokal:

Oh Boy... It's getting deep in here! :happy204::happy204:

Tkczecheredflag
05-20-2008, 09:14 AM
Jeremy - You'll do fine. Things will come to you this season - I feel it.

J-man - Next time you start a thread like this, qualify it as, "No personal attacks please".

Also, rumor has it that you have been inspired by American Idol Star, Jason, and that you are going "Rasta-Man" - When should we expect the "dreads"? Any truth that you will use hair extensions until your own come in? Clear this up for me - please!

I see a resemblence - J-Man - We're Jammin'
http://www.americanidol.com/media/contestants/season7/finalists/jason_c.jpg

Andy Bettencourt
05-20-2008, 09:50 AM

Is there any history you can point me too where that has been effective in the past?

hunter164
05-20-2008, 09:55 AM
Is there any history you can point me too where that has been effective in the past?

I followed him out of the bus stop in Pocono for about .1 sec and we all saw how fast I was going after that! :smilie_pokal:

Greg Amy
05-20-2008, 10:02 AM
Oh, I don't know; does my forum sig count...?

;)

Andy Bettencourt
05-20-2008, 10:09 AM
Oh, I don't know; does my forum sig count...?

;)

Nope, that's just you! Have any actual student references? :D

Jeremy will get there, he just actually has to come to the track and race!

Jeremy Billiel
05-20-2008, 12:31 PM
Nope, that's just you! Have any actual student references? :D

Jeremy will get there, he just actually has to come to the track and race!

Indeed. Once I sell my Excursion (plug :cool:) I will be racing more often and then I can actually improve. This year the car is in much better hands with Kessler taking care of it full time. All I need to do is show up and learn how to drive no more excuses!

Beran
05-20-2008, 02:07 PM
Anyone know if we can park on the grass this weekend?
Beran

lateapex911
05-20-2008, 07:16 PM
Jeremy - Could it be that the faster ITA times and track records are being posted by previously classified ITS cars:shrug:??? Just a thought. I'm not arguing the re-class but it makes you wonder just a little - No??

Timmy, not trying be a dork and split hairs here, but...... the faster ITA times have been posted by cars like your (exact) Teg, Jeremy's Nissan, Andy's Miata, and Tom's CRX...and to my recollection, none have seen ITS classification in their history. Or am I forgetting something (other than one car, the egg)?

lateapex911
05-20-2008, 07:18 PM
Anyone know if we can park on the grass this weekend?
Beran

I'm planning on it, although I worry about the "durometer" or "Stimp" meter reading...

Like, it might be a bit soft after the rains...

Tkczecheredflag
05-21-2008, 09:25 AM
Timmy, not trying be a dork and split hairs here, but...... the faster ITA times have been posted by cars like your (exact) Teg, Jeremy's Nissan, Andy's Miata, and Tom's CRX...and to my recollection, none have seen ITS classification in their history. Or am I forgetting something (other than one car, the egg)?
Jake - My referrence leaned nore towards tGA's Egg and Crazy Joe's Nissan The newest re-class kids on the block ITA - both were ITS cars as I recall.

Again - not arguing the re-class, just scratching my "dreads mon".

Andy Bettencourt
05-21-2008, 09:37 AM
... both were MISCLASSED ITS cars as I recall.

Fixed that for ya. :)

raffaelli
05-21-2008, 09:40 AM
Andy,

I see Flatout has an entry at LRP this weekend with the MX5. Congrats! Where will your team be, LRP or NHMS?

Andy Bettencourt
05-21-2008, 09:46 AM
Splitting up this weekend until Sunday. Nick and Hugh with be at LRP and the rest of us (8 cars) will be at NHMS.

Greg Amy
05-21-2008, 10:18 AM
...both were ITS cars as I recall.
Hmmm, I think ITB is being won by a car that used to be in ITA...I certainly do recall winning an ITA race or two in my old Rabbit GTi...maybe the Rabbit GTi should go back to ITA...?

I'll have to check my logbooks, but I also remember winning an ITS race in a buddy's 1979 Mazda RX-7...I'm sure Dick would be the first to agree that the first-gen Mazda RX-7 should go back to ITS...

And, hey, isn't the third-gen Integra in ITA? That's the same chassis that is leading the NARRC points in ITS, right...?

Hey, just sayin'... :shrug:

lateapex911
05-21-2008, 10:41 AM
Warning: non car parameter based discussion about to occur. Comments are results and parameter based for effect! Warning! ;)

Just musing here, but, generally speaking, the ITS cars are there because of their power, you'd think these ex ITS cars would be romping at power tracks like Pocono, and setting records. Who holds the Pocono record?
And the same goes for Road Atlanta you need power up out of 5, power out of 7, power up out of 1...who/what won the ARRCs there last year?

And, if Jeremy Shepard and Brandon B could get their car to last a race, and do some tuning on it, I bet they'd be knocking on the front row's door.

Andy's run under the record at NHIS, the Tegs been in the 15s IIRC,, and while I'm drawing a blank on the 240SX's times, I know it's been on the pole for races.

I'm not seeing a trend that just the ex ITS cars are the only front runners.

If they ARE up front, it might be proof that the reclasss was spot on....

Tkczecheredflag
05-21-2008, 12:59 PM
Okay Fellas - I got it (although I never argued the ITS reclass from the beginning - no fixing was needed) - all your points are excellent and well taken. Maybe the rumors are true - the current "A" class are just medocre drivers and do not live up to the standards of a Serra or Blaney, (excluding our Champion Andy B of course, a man of many talents):OLA:. But really - I got it, or get it, depending on where you sit, and with who.

Can we go racing yet????

Jeremy Billiel
05-21-2008, 01:21 PM
Almost... We are leaving tomorrow afternoon so we can do the whole test day. Crazy Joe and I are trying some chassis changes so look out ITA competitors!

Greg Amy
05-21-2008, 01:31 PM
Tim, come by the garage on Sunday, I'll give you a little cheese to go with that...

To paraphrase Adrian Cronauer: You're in more dire need of a race weekend than any white man in history...

:p

cpm motorsports
05-21-2008, 02:47 PM
[quote=Greg Amy;266774]Tim, come by the garage on Sunday, I'll give you a little cheese to go with that...

Greg,
Cheese and crackers at your garage with a full-bodied glass of Klvana whine - sounds good. ;):rolleyes:

Jeremy Billiel
05-21-2008, 03:44 PM
Does anyone know if we can get into the track Thursday night?

Andy Bettencourt
05-21-2008, 03:53 PM

I know. :)

dominojd
05-21-2008, 03:56 PM

Gimme 20 bucks and I'll tell ya. :D

hunter164
05-21-2008, 04:24 PM
20 bucks? Thats like 40 Yeunglings!

dominojd
05-21-2008, 04:40 PM
20 bucks? Thats like 40 Yeunglings!

No no no it's only 24 . :)

dominojd
05-21-2008, 04:44 PM
Crazy Joe and I are trying some chassis changes so look out ITA competitors!

Since when are you in ITA? I'm sure if you ask nice everyone in ITA wouldn't mind you running with us. :D

hunter164
05-21-2008, 04:46 PM
No no no it's only 24 . :)

I am enjoying one right now, and $20 for 24 leads me to believe we need to work on your negotiation skills!

gran racing
05-21-2008, 07:43 PM
I've got 12 in my garage waiting for Greg as payment for doing my annual tech. Wait, make that 9 as I couldn't resist. :)

hunter164
05-21-2008, 07:48 PM
I heard after 2 his memory gets a little fuzzy so just leave the empty bottles in the case and cross your fingers that he doesn't try to pull those first...