PDA

View Full Version : Dirty , Desperate & Drunk...

tom_sprecher
05-15-2008, 10:02 PM
Dear Abby,

My front brake ducts are that high $ orange stuff that was so spanky when new but now is covered in brake dust. What ever shall I use to clean it off and keep it all shiny and new?

Do tell,

Dusty Ducts

:blink:

Chris Wire
05-16-2008, 12:25 AM
Try brake cleaner.....oh, and a bloody mary!

mbuskuhl
05-16-2008, 08:09 AM
I've taken a liking to mineral spirits lately. Cheap and fairly good parts cleaner.

pballance
05-16-2008, 08:44 AM
Dear DDD,

You don't indicate how old you are but you may still be young enough to learn that using the brakes on a race car does not always result in lower lap times. Perhaps you have been using the brakes too often and that is creating excessive dust? You could always remove the brakes from the car and then you would never have the problem. Then again, you could drive a british car and since it would never go fast enough (or run long enough) to have need to use the brakes as much. :D

I have heard that Pabst Blue Ribbon makes an excellent cleaning fluid as it has certainly lubricated many a writer in the past. I suggest you begin a 12 step cleaning program by first admitting that you have a problem. Then, on your next trip to the race track, check with your fellow racers and see if they have a spare pint or two to restore the pristine color to your high dollar investment.

If that doesn't work then try a little compressed air, followed by a light application of brake parts cleaner. Follow up with another dusting of hot, compressed air that is in ample supply around here.

Abigail Von RoadRacer

Gary Gentry
05-16-2008, 01:58 PM
Tom,

Your car is so bleepin' clean and sanitary that you are likely the only one that would notice a little brake dust.....

Having said that, I'll echo the removal of the brakes as the ultimate solution....:blink:

Have you decided to do test day at CMP?

JeffYoung
05-16-2008, 02:15 PM
You need brakes at CMP?

tom_sprecher
05-16-2008, 02:57 PM
I was a little hammered when I posted and thought it was funny but hey alot of things were funny at the time. Now, not so much.

Anyway, I'm doing test day. When you said there might be a discount if you register early did you mean for the race itself or test day because I don't see where you can register for test day. Also we should all park together if we can. Where do you guys usually end up?

I guess I just like clean race cars. My truck...that's another story...I can't remember the last time it was washed. :eek:

Butch Kummer
05-16-2008, 04:18 PM
Tom,

If you can't go fast then you need to look good, so I understand why you're concerned... :blink: (And you - look - mah-veh-luss!!!)

The test day is conducted by the track, not CCR. More info is available on their website, but here's the part that's pertinent to next weekend:

http://www.carolinamotorsportspark.com/registration_files/newpage1.htm

Depending on when we get out of town, we'll either set up Friday night or come in first thing Saturday morning (we're the last run group so there will be plenty of time to get ready). We're also bringing our greyhound for his first weekend at the races and we're not sure how he'll react, so we might be leaning on you guys to hold his leash while I'm on the track.

See ya...

MMiskoe
05-16-2008, 09:57 PM
At the risk of getting bashed for thread-jacking:

What to use for cleaning wheels? Or what sort of process? Especially the insides which are not always so nice and smooth as the outsides so the brake dust can really get in and hang on. I try to wash the wheels after every weekend so it doesn't build up, but that does not always cure the issue. I've been thinking of posting this to ask but hadn't gotten around to it.

Soak them when the tires are off? I've wondered what would happen if you ran the bare wheel through the dishwasher, but although my wife supports the racing thing really well and puts up with a lot, running car parts of any kind through the dishwasher is not an option. She's made that pretty clear when I've suggested it.

Matt

RedMisted
05-19-2008, 03:04 AM
Matt: To clean wheels, try something like brass cleaner. It did the trick on my gunked wheels. I use a brand called Cameo. It's for brass and porcelain.

Gary Gentry
05-19-2008, 10:32 AM
Anyway, I'm doing test day. When you said there might be a discount if you register early did you mean for the race itself or test day because I don't see where you can register for test day. Also we should all park together if we can. Where do you guys usually end up?

Tom,

Yes we should try to park together if able.....We usually try to get set up at our preferred location at the far end of the track from the gate, kind/sorta close to the short straight betwen turns 1 and 2 and at the very end of the 3rd aprking row back from the front straight/pit road. If that doesn't work out, then we usually get in the area across from the fuel pumps just after entering through the gate but there is no power there. We are planning to arrive sometime mid-day on Friday. We'll see you then.

Cheers.

seckerich
05-19-2008, 11:28 AM
Tom,

If you can't go fast then you need to look good, so I understand why you're concerned... :blink: (And you - look - mah-veh-luss!!!)

The test day is conducted by the track, not CCR. More info is available on their website, but here's the part that's pertinent to next weekend:

Depending on when we get out of town, we'll either set up Friday night or come in first thing Saturday morning (we're the last run group so there will be plenty of time to get ready). We're also bringing our greyhound for his first weekend at the races and we're not sure how he'll react, so we might be leaning on you guys to hold his leash while I'm on the track.

See ya...

Bring the greyhound over and we can hook it to our Miniature aussie and they can wear each other out!! See you there Butch.

JeffYoung
05-19-2008, 11:58 AM
I have one of those! Greyhound that is. He does fine at the track....took him a few weekends, but he's used to the noise. Heat can be trouble though, make sure he has a cool place, water, etc. -- stuff you already know I am sure.

Tom,

See ya...

Butch Kummer
05-19-2008, 04:53 PM
This is our second greyhound, and while the first one ("Daytona") was great at the track (except when the F5s and Vees were on the track - apparently they resembled something he was trained to chase :blink:) this one ("Seger") is a bit more high-strung. Whenever he's in a new situation he tends to go into sensory overload and wants to get into everything RIGHT NOW! He's also younger, which may account for some of that as well. I think he'll be okay after an hour or so, but this will be the first time we've brought him to the track so we'll be cautious.

Sweetest dogs in the world though.

Of course this will be MY first time back on the track since my (shortened) qualifying session at the 2007 ARRC, so I'll have to be careful not to go into sensory overload as well. :eek:

Looking forward to seeing everyone this weekend...