PDA

View Full Version : '84 VW Rabbit for ITC

Grumpa
05-15-2008, 01:11 PM
Considerind taking Speedwell off of life support and donoring the vitals into a relatively race ready '84 Bunny. These questions arise:

1) Did the '84 Rabbit come equipped with solid or vented front rotors?
2) The GCR spec line shows a 5 speed - I suppose a 4 speed is illegal, si?
3) Is this chassis a quantum leap (theoretically speaking) above my '79, handling wise?
4) Is there any chassis differences between an '84 Rabbit and the GTI? The GTI has the 1.8L motor and 14" wheels, but what else?

keycom
05-15-2008, 01:43 PM
Someone smarter than I will reply soon, but I believe only the GTI had the vented rotors.
The GTI also had a bigger rear sway bar and stiffer springs (which can all be replaced anyway).
The GTI was only available with the 5 speed.

shwah
05-15-2008, 02:19 PM
GTI does have vented brakes - the only difference is the rotors themselves.
GTI is 5 speed only.
No chassis differences that I know of between Rabbit and GTI. Should handle the same, but be faster.

itracer
05-15-2008, 02:41 PM
Considerind taking Speedwell off of life support and donoring the vitals into a relatively race ready '84 Bunny. These questions arise:

1) Did the '84 Rabbit come equipped with solid or vented front rotors?
2) The GCR spec line shows a 5 speed - I suppose a 4 speed is illegal, si?
3) Is this chassis a quantum leap (theoretically speaking) above my '79, handling wise?
4) Is there any chassis differences between an '84 Rabbit and the GTI? The GTI has the 1.8L motor and 14" wheels, but what else?

1) The 1.7 (which is the ITC rabbit) cam with solid front rotors. The '84 GTI (ITBB) came with vented front rotors.

4) Other than the motor, vented rotors, and wheel size, there were some things like front spoiler, side trim, etc.

Grumpa
05-15-2008, 11:22 PM
The GTI was only available with the 5 speed. - keycom

The GTI is a 5 speed, but what about a baseline '84 Rabbit? Page 373 in the handy dandy GCR, last column is for the 81-84 VDub Rabbit 1.7's and the only ratios shown total five. The line above is for 75-80 Rabbits and there are three gearboxes for the cars - 2 four speeds and a five speed. Hence my question - is a 4 speed legal for the '84? The 5 speed is between 15-20 lbs. heavier - yes/no?

This car is currently an ITB GTI in form, with a 1.8, vented rotors, 14" wheels, etc, etc. My thought was to put my 2 race fresh 1.6 motor, brakes, CIS, etc. into the '84, have it savagely scrutineered by more knowledgable IT competitors, and go race ITC. It sounds relatively simple, but I have been known at times to see the world thru rose colored glasses at times or have my head where the sun doesn't shine.

OOOOOOOOrrrrrrr, should I throw caution to the wind and just race ITB? It can't be any more expensive than C and there are usually more people to race in B I've noticed.