PDA

View Full Version : ITR Car Counts

Ron Earp
05-13-2008, 01:35 PM
It has been a little more than a year since ITR became an official class in IT. I've seen a few ITR cars on track and read about several being developed, but, I've lost count of how many we have in total on the forum.

If you are racing an ITR car, or are buidling one for 2008/2009, could you chime in on this thread? Love to see pictures if you want to upload one, the site now supports images as attachments.

Ron

erlrich
05-13-2008, 01:54 PM
FWIW, we had 5 ITR cars at MARRS 1: Marshall Lytle, Robert Powell, Chris Ferragonio, Dan Jones, and John Alexandropoulos. All but John were in 235s; John was in a 944.

gpbmw
05-13-2008, 01:54 PM
G. Potts/Myriad Motorports #51 - 1994 BMW 325, 17" wheels. Not traveling much due to current gas prices. Road Atlanta is in my back yard.

JoshS
05-13-2008, 01:56 PM
We now have three regulars in our San Francisco Region series.

Me, in a BMW Z3 Coupe (now wearing #2 instead of #24)
James Heth, in a Honda S2000
Mike Courtney, in a BMW 325i (ex-ITS) (sorry, no photos -- but it's white and fast)

http://www.godoggoracing.org/coupe.jpg

http://www.s2ki.com/gallery/image/medium/529512.jpg

Trussell
05-13-2008, 02:05 PM
Here are the 5 guys we had @ MARRS 1 a few weeks ago out at Summit Point

*feel free to move these photos if needed*

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i217/scca2k/MARRS108p2081.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i217/scca2k/MARRS108p2076.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i217/scca2k/MARRS108p2060.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i217/scca2k/MARRS108p2047.jpg

Trussell
05-13-2008, 02:06 PM
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i217/scca2k/MARRS108p2040.jpg

NORRIS
05-13-2008, 03:35 PM
I yanked out the restrictor, took out some weight and stuck on 17" wheels and ran ITR in Sopac region last year, but I was the only one, so I moved back to ITS for this year. Maybe next year I may run up in Northern California some. Or maybe if you guys want to come down I'll change back and we can have a North/South shootout. I'd send a picture, but cant figure how te reduce tha size of the file.

dj10
05-13-2008, 03:59 PM
Oh you would have to post my picture AFTER I WAS FORCED INTO THE MUD!!!!! ;~)

lateapex911
05-13-2008, 04:06 PM
I was going to comment on what a bunch of dirty racers you appear to be but..........

I figured "Why throw more mud?"

Forced off, eh? Bet they all say that. Looks like reverse was used...

Thanks, I'll be here nightly...

dj10
05-13-2008, 04:56 PM
I was going to comment on what a bunch of dirty racers you appear to be but..........

I figured "Why throw more mud?"

Forced off, eh? Bet they all say that. Looks like reverse was used...

Thanks, I'll be here nightly...

Hey Jake!!!!! Missed ya @ Pocono.
Travis has an excellent picture of the #43 car losing it in Turn 1 with me starting my turn in. I hope he' posts that one.:) He would have hit me but I drove off track to avoid him.....and got stuck in the WVA mud. So I have plenty of proof. I was 2nd but came out 43rd.:(

Trussell
05-13-2008, 05:05 PM
:shrug: I have no clue what you are talking about.....i had to but a mud pic up there...i grew up at the dirt tracks.....btw any of you all ever check out the dirt track in Winchester during the MARRS races?

Trussell
05-13-2008, 05:16 PM
Here are 3 more from the 2007 ARRC @ Road Atlanta

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i217/scca2k/arrcfri102.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i217/scca2k/arrcfri453.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i217/scca2k/arrcsun115.jpg

JoshS
05-13-2008, 05:29 PM
I yanked out the restrictor, took out some weight and stuck on 17" wheels and ran ITR in Sopac region last year, but I was the only one, so I moved back to ITS for this year. Maybe next year I may run up in Northern California some. Or maybe if you guys want to come down I'll change back and we can have a North/South shootout. I'd send a picture, but cant figure how te reduce tha size of the file.
John, send me your photo (josh at sirota.org) and I'll size and post it for you.

Best way to resize, if you are on Windows XP, is to download and install the "image resizer XP powertoy" from Microsoft. After you install it, you'll be able to right-click on a photo and resize it right there ... no need to open any apps or anything. It's trivial.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install/2/WXP/EN-US/ImageResizerPowertoySetup.exe

dj10
05-13-2008, 05:41 PM
:shrug: I have no clue what you are talking about.....i had to but a mud pic up there...i grew up at the dirt tracks.....btw any of you all ever check out the dirt track in Winchester during the MARRS races?

Is this a joke???? I have the picture of the #43 sideways and your name is on. Marshall, me and the #43 is in the picture. If I knew how to post it I would.:cool:

Trussell
05-13-2008, 05:42 PM
another quick way is to just...right click on the pic....go to OPEN WITH....and select PAINT .....once open click on the top line IMAGE....select Streach/SHEW...change from 100 to 20 or 25 on the first 2 option and ok....save again....should be done

dj10
05-13-2008, 05:44 PM
what happens if you don't have paint?

JoshS
05-13-2008, 05:53 PM
what happens if you don't have paint?Guys, seriously, install the powertoy. You won't believe how trivial it is.

Trussell
05-13-2008, 05:54 PM
Paint should be pre installed...and yes I was joking about the shots of the green #43....here it is

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i217/scca2k/MARRS108p2020.jpg

lateapex911
05-13-2008, 05:57 PM
IRFANVIEW is another super easy photo viewing and manipulation tool. It works on non XP machines and is free at http://www.irfanview.com/

dj10
05-13-2008, 06:46 PM
Damn you Travis!!! LOL good one you had me going. :~)

Ron Earp
05-13-2008, 06:49 PM
So, the vast majority of the ITR cars running are the old ITS 325is?

How many non-BMW 3 series ITR cars do we have?

Z3_GoCar
05-13-2008, 09:00 PM

I'm planning on joining you John, that's why I got the steel hood instead of repairing the carbon hood. As for the pictures, I just uploaded them into a gallery here and they're automatically resized to 600x600.

James

ps. The Z3 is in fact an e-36 car, so we're just adding to the numbers of the evil-umpire :p

mlytle
05-13-2008, 10:41 PM
in addition to the above identified marrs mudbuggies, there are two more in the region.
sam asinugo and john counts - both ex-its 325's

there is also a z3 vert down in the carolinas - ricky thompson

tnord
05-13-2008, 10:56 PM
944 S2, 325is, integra type R, and i think an S2000 being built in MiDiv.

<----waiting for the new MX5.

Andy Bettencourt
05-13-2008, 11:28 PM
<----waiting for the new MX5.
So was I Trav...but knowing what I know about what they weigh, I think it's an ITS car at about 2675. In ITR it would have to weigh about 2335 with the super-low power compared to others in class...and using our Koni Challenge car as a barometer, it could never make that weight with driver.

tnord
05-13-2008, 11:43 PM
So was I Trav...but knowing what I know about what they weigh, I think it's an ITS car at about 2675. In ITR it would have to weigh about 2335 with the super-low power compared to others in class...and using our Koni Challenge car as a barometer, it could never make that weight with driver.

why not? i thought the "body in white" weighed the same as the 99-05 cars?

it would just be plain odd to have a miata overweight and at the top of the power curve in any class. i would like to see it in ITR to help the class take off, but if it's going to end up as a 'tweener, that might not happen. that would really be a shame.

of course.....that just opens the door for the next generation of SM. :eek:

Andy Bettencourt
05-13-2008, 11:55 PM
I really don't think it's a bad car in ITS at that weight.

RedMisted
05-16-2008, 12:52 AM
As some of you may already know, I've got a 1999 3.8L Mustang that I'm racing in ITE this year. If all goes well and I like the car's potential for ITR, I may take it into that class in '09.
To answer Ron's question regarding car counts, I know at least 5-6 different ITR drivers competed in regionals at Nelson Ledges in 2007. And some of the names listed in this thread participated there.

TAC
05-16-2008, 07:03 AM
Your all invited to run at the I.T.SPEC*tacular August 8th-10th. Dan Jones and Christian Bernhardt are planning on being there.

4 Hoosier tires for 1st place..... ( minimum 3 cars participating in the class)
3 races...................................( top three get medals for the afternoon races)
2 hrs. of track time
1 overall weekend champion per class..... ( Trophies for the top three positions)

BTW, 2nd place gets 2 Hoosier tires ( minimum of 5 cars participating in the class)

Todd Cholmondeley
Cincinnati Race Chairman:024:

Ron Earp
05-16-2008, 09:25 AM

Andy, aren't these cars 2L 4 bangers variable valve timing rated at like 166 hp? Seems to me the cars will have a lot of potential for ITS. The BMW motor was only 0.5L smaller, and naturally a lot of things are different between to two, but you wouldn't want to create a "325-like" situation in ITS again. I've clearly not investigated the particulars with the motors and so on, just looking at the surface.

Ron

Andy Bettencourt
05-16-2008, 09:52 AM
Andy, aren't these cars 2L 4 bangers variable valve timing rated at like 166 hp? Seems to me the cars will have a lot of potential for ITS. The BMW motor was only 0.5L smaller, and naturally a lot of things are different between to two, but you wouldn't want to create a "325-like" situation in ITS again. I've clearly not investigated the particulars with the motors and so on, just looking at the surface.

Ron
Ron,

The problem with the E36 was that it never went through the process. It's a totally different situation. If it were to run through right now for ITS, it would weigh no less than 3220lbs.

To me, the more standard output per liter, the LESS potential the car has in IT trim (see S2000) but that is neither here nor there. Using the 166hp and 25%, it could be a good choice if it can make the power. Grand Am used stock weights and hp numbers for the MX-5 in ST and ended up having to spec in open cams for it to compete...and it's still not there yet so I would assume 'normal' gains in IT trim.

Looking at all the cars classed using the process, I can't think of one off the top of my head that is an overdog but YMMV. There will be great drivers in great cars, but we have to seperate that...

tnord
05-16-2008, 10:00 AM
Ron,

To me, the more standard output per liter, the LESS potential the car has in IT trim (see S2000) but that is neither here nor there. Using the 166hp and 25%, it could be a good choice if it can make the power. Grand Am used stock weights and hp numbers for the MX-5 in ST and ended up having to spec in open cams for it to compete...and it's still not there yet so I would assume 'normal' gains in IT trim.

i agree with this in principle, but you can't put it into practice as that's a slippery slope. the casualties of this (S2000, P-cars, maybe the new miata) are worth the benefit of keeping complete overdogs out of the class.

i'd give it time on the power development of the NC, Daniels has only had so long to figure out how to cheat the thing up. :D

it'd really be a shame to have to miss the boat on the NC cars, but as i said, that'll just give new life to the next generation of SM.

Andy Bettencourt
05-16-2008, 10:19 AM
That's why I said it was neither here nor there. We use 25% when we don't have a pile of alternative data as has been documented on this site. I can tell you our 200 mile stock MX-5 made 139whp. We added the open intake (not legal for IT as it is a psuedo ram-air unit outside the engine bay) and header/exhaust and got to 153WHP.

Someone would have to make 170whp in order for this car to fit perfectly. That is another 17whp (21 crank) in overbore, B&B and ECU. Possible? I think so but much more? Doubt it.

tom_sprecher
05-17-2008, 10:53 AM
Sorry to get OT but according to offical SCCA numbers for 2007 there were 193 entries in ITR.

Ron Earp
05-17-2008, 11:29 AM
That's why I said it was neither here nor there. We use 25% when we don't have a pile of alternative data as has been documented on this site. I can tell you our 200 mile stock MX-5 made 139whp. We added the open intake (not legal for IT as it is a psuedo ram-air unit outside the engine bay) and header/exhaust and got to 153WHP.

Someone would have to make 170whp in order for this car to fit perfectly. That is another 17whp (21 crank) in overbore, B&B and ECU. Possible? I think so but much more? Doubt it.

You are at 153 rwhp with out opening the motor and no ECU tuning, including using that variable valve timing? No blueprinting? The ram air doesn't work on the dyno anyhow, and you know how creative you can be there for air pickup.

Heck, just boring that block with a torque plate and truing it up would probably pick up 2-3hp, ditto by fiddling around with the rings, valve job, balancing, and so on.

While you see the glass half empty, I see it half full. I'd say if a top notch IT build with full on ECU and so on can't find 17 rwhp I'd be extremely surprised.