PDA

View Full Version : Grattan anyone?

Rabbit07
05-13-2008, 08:41 AM
I am on the fence about sending in my entry. Are there going to be some IT cars there? Ruck, Moser, Downing?

downingracing
05-13-2008, 10:19 AM
Since I didn't total the car at ORP, I'll be there w/ the ITA Civic!!!!! :happy204: I know Shawn Hobbs (ITC) and Dan Hardison (SSC) will be there too. Looking forward to a super-hot or super-rainy weekend! (always seems to be one or the other...)

Eagle7
05-13-2008, 12:32 PM
I'll be there.
Russell White also said he's coming.

R2 Racing
05-13-2008, 02:27 PM
Damn you guys. For the first time in something like seven years, I'm not doing this event. OVR restricted national at Mid Ohio is the following weekend, so I'm doing that. If I did them both, that would be four events in five weeks, and I don't enjoy this that much.

Racerlinn
05-13-2008, 03:27 PM
Since I didn't total the car at ORP, I'll be there w/ the ITA Civic!!!!! :happy204: I know Shawn Hobbs (ITC) and Dan Hardison (SSC) will be there too. Looking forward to a super-hot or super-rainy weekend! (always seems to be one or the other...)

Since I tried to total the car (unsuccessfully) I certainly won't be there.:(
(replacement junkyard motor has been sourced, hope to have it in by July to test at ORP before ITFest).

Tell Hardison to take it out of third.... :happy204:

downingracing
05-13-2008, 04:01 PM
I'll tell him and I'm sure his reply will be to tell you to keep it out of 2nd... :blink:

Rabbit07
05-13-2008, 05:51 PM
Well, if I make it, looks like Matt and I will be the ITA race:blink:

Now that I am retired/self employed $ is a bit tight, but man it's Grattan!

dhardison
05-13-2008, 06:19 PM
Tell Hardison to take it out of third.... :happy204:YEAH! What Matt said! :D

Actually I'm thinking of keeping it in first gear during each session. That way maybe I can get more than 60 laps out of a set of front wheel bearings/hubs......... :(

Dan

Eagle7
05-13-2008, 09:23 PM
Well, if I make it, looks like Matt and I will be the ITA race:blink:
Doesn't Alex usually come over? And maybe Steve San...?

downingracing
05-14-2008, 07:39 AM
It would be nice to see 8-10 ITA cars... Of course, our group has 100 classes in it, so it will be a fun race no matter how many in-class there are!

downingracing
05-14-2008, 01:34 PM
New tires ordered... That sould make it rain for sure!!! (Then I can use the 8 year old dirt stockers :D )

I guess now I should send the entry in!

Rabbit07
05-14-2008, 03:34 PM
Well, I picked up some tires and ordered some brakes. I guess I should follow suit with Matt and send the entry.

Rabbit07
05-16-2008, 09:43 AM
Ok, I was out for a private test day yesterday at Grattan. The repave of turns 5-11 is awesome. I only got to drive my truck around, but you can tell there is more grip there than before. Now I have to go.

See you there

downingracing
05-16-2008, 11:34 AM
Entry going in the mail this weekend. Tires will be here Tuesday. Busted-ass trailer will be fixed by Tuesday... All coming together!!! Can't wait to get there and have a few! I believe my wife is coming with me, so might be doing the hotel thing, but I can still have fun and she can drive to the hotel! :blink:

R2 Racing
05-16-2008, 01:54 PM
The repave of turns 5-11 is awesome.
They repaved 5 through 11?

damnit....<_<

Greg Gauper
05-16-2008, 04:27 PM
No they didn't repave anything. I ran the national there last week.
I also walked the track to check out the new surface.
They put down a sealer from turn 5 to after the uphill esses.
The good news is the sealed surface is nice and smooth, but it didn't seem to hurt the grip level in the rain.

The bad news is...the blind turn-in for the uphill esse is tricky now since the old cracks in the pavement that you used to use as a reference are now covered up.

Eagle7
05-17-2008, 07:50 AM
Looking forward to a super-hot or super-rainy weekend! (always seems to be one or the other...)
Fri May 23http://image.weather.com/web/common/wxicons/31/37.gifIsolated T-Storms76°/52°30 %
Sat May 24http://image.weather.com/web/common/wxicons/31/34.gifMostly Sunny74°/52°10 %
Sun May 25http://image.weather.com/web/common/wxicons/31/30.gifPartly Cloudy70°/51°20 %

downingracing
05-17-2008, 08:02 AM
Sat May 24http://image.weather.com/web/common/wxicons/31/34.gifMostly Sunny74°/52°10 %
Sun May 25http://image.weather.com/web/common/wxicons/31/30.gifPartly Cloudy70°/51°20 %

The chance of rain is better than my chance of winning!!! :blink:

Eagle7
05-17-2008, 04:53 PM
The chance of rain is better than my chance of winning!!! :blink:
Me too. :happy204:

GT240sx
05-19-2008, 09:46 AM
I don't know Marty, if it's just you, me and G. Russell, then your chance of winning is pretty high!

GT240sx
05-20-2008, 02:17 PM
It's official, I have sent in the entry form. I also talked with the registrar and it sounds like the ITS field is still Doane, Russell and White.

downingracing
05-20-2008, 03:51 PM
I sent mine in yesterday. Tires showed up today! Now as long as the trailer (10 months old!) is fixed by thursday, I'm good to go! If not, I'll be borrowing a trailer for the trip. Looking forward to the crazy group 6 race this weekend!!! I don't think they could fit more groups in with us if they had to!!!

See you all at the track!

Matt

Eagle7
05-21-2008, 12:23 PM
It's official, I have sent in the entry form. I also talked with the registrar and it sounds like the ITS field is still Doane, Russell and White. See you in impound if I don't park it out by the treeline again. :)

downingracing
05-23-2008, 12:39 AM
Ready to go! Just got done packing and will be pulling out in a few hours. Meeting the guys on the way and am looking forward to having a few cold ones tomorrow afternoon/evening!!

See you all at the track!

matt

gsbaker
05-24-2008, 12:59 PM
Don't you guys be slackin' on the updates, now! :)

Eagle7
05-25-2008, 09:26 PM
Don't you guys be slackin' on the updates, now! :)
OK, I'll start.

Perfect weather. Car count down a little, but the region broke even.

I tried to get by with old tires for the weekend, but it didn't work out at all. By the end of qual Saturday I was 3 seconds off my pace and my 8-tire supply was down to 3 barely usable. Hoosier didn't show and Goodyear had nothing for me, so I feared I'd be going home early. George Russell won the ITS pole but broke his transmission in the process, so he very generously offered me his tires. Worked out very well for me as I got my first (and second) career win.

Saturday the ITA guys were too strong for ITS. Chris Childs won the overall pole in an IT + T2, T3, EP, SS field. Two touring cars and an HP went by him, but Chris went flag to flag for the IT overall followed closely by Matt Downing, me (ITS), and Russell White (ITS).

Unfortunately, Chris broke his car in the process, and didn't run Sunday. Downing didn't have any serious ITA competition so after a bad start he let Russell and me go - me/White/Downing.

The weekend included the best side-by-side racing I've ever experienced, and some very touching acts of generosity. Well done, guys and gals.

Greg Gauper
05-25-2008, 09:58 PM
Any ITB/ITC updates?

Eagle7
05-25-2008, 10:47 PM
Any ITB/ITC updates?
Sorry, small fields and I don't think I know any of them.
ITB - 1 Jeffrey Mattis, 2 Lenny Basaj both days
ITC - Shawn Hobbs Saturday

I also screwed up the ITS/A results for Sunday. I'll edit it now.

R2 Racing
05-26-2008, 01:33 AM
Were those ITA wins firsts for Chris and Matt? I think they may have been. Very nice.

How was the track? What kind of lap times was everyone running? I wished I was there this weekend more than once.

Rabbit07
05-26-2008, 09:24 AM
Were those ITA wins firsts for Chris and Matt? I think they may have been. Very nice.

How was the track? What kind of lap times was everyone running? I wished I was there this weekend more than once.

Thanks for the congrats! I actually had my first SCCA win this last January in Sebring, but that was in DP against two other Neons. I was very suprised to have my first ever pole with only running a 1.32.3. Matt drove very well and if I had to try to hustle my car any more he would have won both days. Lucky for me he also had some mechanical issues on Saturday.

I thought that the track was better in the repaved/resealed parts. I really had to do some shock adjusting to get the car feeling better coming up the hill onto the front straight. My car was bouncing around more than I remember. Matt and I were both in the 32's on Saturday, not sure what he ran on Sunday. I am very Jealous of how you Honda drivers can get your cars to turn into the esses and the bowl. I have to drag the brake all through there and you guys just turn the wheel and the car goes.

It would have been nice to have your there Kevin, but then again Matt and I would have been fighting for P2 :)

R2 Racing
05-26-2008, 09:44 AM
I was very suprised to have my first ever pole with only running a 1.32.3.

Matt and I were both in the 32's on Saturday, not sure what he ran on Sunday.
That's not too bad at all. The fastest time I hit last year was a 1:31.8, so you guys were moving along. Nice work.:eclipsee_steering:

You and Matt not have anything serious go wrong? Easy fixes?

Eagle7
05-26-2008, 10:04 AM
We missed you.
I ran 0.6 off my time from last year. The resealed track didn't feel faster to me, but not sure I'd be able to tell. As Greg said earlier, the groove coming up the hill is gone, so I struggled all weekend finding my turn-in point. I don't think I ever nailed it the whole weekend. That alone could be the 0.6 secs.

I really had to do some shock adjusting to get the car feeling better coming up the hill onto the front straight. My car was bouncing around more than I remember.
That section has always been very bumpy. Maybe you were running a slightly different line. A couple of feet can make a lot of difference there.

Rabbit07
05-26-2008, 11:02 AM
That's not too bad at all. The fastest time I hit last year was a 1:31.8, so you guys were moving along. Nice work.:eclipsee_steering:

You and Matt not have anything serious go wrong? Easy fixes?

Matt and I both had exhuast issues, however mine caused steering issues. My steering rack was cooked after the race on Sat.

Marty,

Something was different about the track I was getting airbourne and spinning wheels coming up onto the front straight. I also had it happen a few times cresting the rise in the track exiting the bowl.

itb76
05-26-2008, 02:48 PM
Sorry, small fields and I don't think I know any of them.
ITB - 1 Jeffrey Mattis, 2 Lenny Basaj both days
ITC - Shawn Hobbs Saturday

I also screwed up the ITS/A results for Sunday. I'll edit it now.
Sorry guys, I haven't been keeping track of the boards much. I am at Grattan every year, since it's just over an hour from my house. Jeff and Eric Mattis are from the Traverse City area. They may be new to ITB, as they bought the Audi from a guy in Boulder, CO last fall.

Here (http://s221.photobucket.com/albums/dd225/lbasaj/grattan%20may%202008/) is a link to the photos I took. Mostly open wheel and Corvettes as I was driving in group 6 and my wife is not good with a digicam.

Lenny

924Guy
05-27-2008, 08:44 AM
Hey Lenny... if you're hurting for ITB competition (saw your post over in the other thread) you could always consider coming over to Waterford for a weekend... always big ITB fields, often 10+ cars in B only, and always plenty of Mustangs to beat up on...

itb76
05-27-2008, 12:40 PM
Vaughan, I may have to rig up a different exhaust system and try that. I've heard it's a really tight, narrow course, but I should try it before going by someone else's opinion. There used to be 5 - 6 events a year between Grattan and Gingerman; this year there are two so I have to expand my horizons.

924Guy
05-27-2008, 02:21 PM
Yes, it is tight, narrow, and 100% technical... but if you can learn it, sure is fun! Cheap, too! Give a shout if you need advice getting a VW through sound - I'm sure we can get input on successful setups - and be sure to stop by if you do make it!

If nothing else, I know we'll have a good ITB field at Mid-O for the IT-Spec-tacular! Both me and my teammate are coming down from Waterford, and one of the faster Rustangs is threatening to join us... in addition to all the other guys... I know I have unfinished business with Gran! ;)

downingracing
05-28-2008, 01:42 PM
Great weekend!! Had a blast with Chris on Sat.! Stupid exhaust cost me a shot at the win on the last lap. Very happy with the 1:32.4xx I ran - not too bad for me or the Civic!

1st win in ITA on Sunday for me. Been a LONG TIME since I got a win! Wished Chris was running, but I'll take it. :)

Eagle7
05-28-2008, 07:11 PM
MyLaps is up:
http://www.mylaps.com/results/showevent.jsp?id=310092
http://www.mylaps.com/results/showevent.jsp?id=310099