PDA

View Full Version : OVR ROC Restricted Regional

Scott Nutter
05-12-2008, 07:26 PM
Anyone going? Is there an online entry list? Do I really have to fill out an entry form with a pen and spend $.41 no make that $.42 to mail it in? Now that the cost has gone up maybe I can't afford to go :)

Count me in #85 IT7

dj10
05-12-2008, 07:29 PM
Anyone going? Is there an online entry list? Do I really have to fill out an entry form with a pen and spend $.41 no make that $.42 to mail it in? Now that the cost has gone up maybe I can't afford to go :)

Count me in #85 IT7

They don't allow ITR cars.

R2 Racing
05-12-2008, 11:18 PM
I'll be there.

xr4racer
05-13-2008, 12:51 AM
The powers that be think that the speed difference between ITR and ITC is too great. This comes from the same region that would have ITS with GT1 at their fall regional before the runoffs a few years ago and has Eproduction (think Caterham go carts) with GT1 at this race. Makes no sense to me that 1-3 ITR's would be a dangerous thing.

matt

R2 Racing
05-13-2008, 07:00 AM
I'd just like to point out that this event is only $220 if you're in the restricted IT group. That's stupid cheap. Probably about what that "test session" thingy is going to cost the Friday before IT Fest, but this is an entire weekend. Plus the race is 19 laps; about IT Fest length. So come out.

downingracing
05-13-2008, 08:00 AM
The powers that be think that the speed difference between ITR and ITC is too great. This comes from the same region that would have ITS with GT1 at their fall regional before the runoffs a few years ago and has Eproduction (think Caterham go carts) with GT1 at this race. Makes no sense to me that 1-3 ITR's would be a dangerous thing.

matt

ITR cars are 'new' and there haven't been any that have run at Mid-Ohio that were 'really' built/tested, so guessing the potential is hard. Looking at ITE vs. ITC - the track record difference is 16 seconds a lap. The decision was made to think of ITR like ITE since there isn't any data for the class...

ITS with GT1... Don't remember that, but it sounds like a bad idea. (Kind of like ITR and ITC) Different groupings are tried (some good and some bad) to make the best fit for the weekend. We try to learn from the 'bad' and make better decisions going forward...

EP and GT1 have a track record split of 10.5 seconds.

1-3 ITRs at the current development might not be a bad thing, but what happens when someone shows up with a "built to the edge" ITR car?

Decisions are made with the information available and everyone involved tries to make the 'right' decision. You can't please all the people all the time. The Restricted Regional is a way to allow Regional racers to come out and get some cheap track time while helping pay the bills for the National. 3 years ago, there wasn't space in the weekend for any other races - the National was over 300 entries. Now that it is down, this is something we are trying to pay the bills and let more people have fun.

I encourage ANYONE who would like input into a race weekend to step up and join the race committee or be a co-race chair. Every region is looking for people to help put on these events. Everyone working a club racing weekend (SCCA) is a volunteer. No one gets a dime for gas, hotel, expenses... All there for the love of the sport and to give something back.

Matt Downing
(Who is HAPPY to train anyone on race committee or co-race chair responsibilities!!!)

jay05
05-16-2008, 01:02 PM
In. Spent the $.42.

gt40jim
05-16-2008, 03:37 PM
Hi Matt! This reply is with all respect and thankfulness for your efforts. :happy204:Thank you!
However, (knew something was up eh) I take care of Dan Jones ITR BMW. Dan won the 62 car Pro-IT race at the ARRC in Atlanta. He won the Pro-IT and both sprint races last week at Pocono. He qualified the car at Summit a couple weeks back on the ft row. It is certainly one of the "better" ITR cars. I like to think it is an on the edge built car. I also take care of an ITS car that is decent but certainly not a "dominant" car in ITS. Dans times in ITR are typically about 1 to 1.2 seconds a lap faster at any given track over an average ITS car. I am stuck as I own a race prep shop in Pittsburgh. Please don't think that this is a "I'll go play elsewhere" thing. But because Dan could not run with you guys. I need to take him to Summit Point. The ITS guy and Dan are friends so ITS guy is now going to Summit as well. I have two SM arrive and drive guys who are now going to Summit with me instead of Mid-O Chris and Kevin Gleason. I was going to do Trackside for a fellow named Dick Barnes in S2000, but when I said I wasn't going he moved his next event to VIR June 7th. I like Mid-Ohio better, more paddock space for sure! I sent a friendly e-mail to an OVR official asking about it I got a curt reply. When I asked for clarification on a point I got no reply. Little frustrated. I have the Mid-O lap record in Club Ford and have raced with the Vees in a Formula Ford PLENTY of times. 28 years with a comp liscence. That is a greater split than Dan in his ITR car vs an ITC car. So oh well tiny venting done. :) I agree that more including myself shoud be involved with the behind the scenes work. Right now its my income and I'm raising kids with the time spent at track. I promise to help you when my kids are outa school ! Really! Thanks all Jim Locke Back to racing! :eclipsee_steering:

downingracing
05-16-2008, 10:48 PM
Thanks for the info Jim! Hopefully we can include ITR in the restricted regional in 2009.

Hard data is good to have and it looks like (from your info) ITR isn't the super duper fast class everyone is thinking. (me included) I am sorry to hear your 'group' won't be attending the event. The ONLY national at MO and the cheapest track time you'll ever get at MO for the regional race. We are running TWo regular regionals at MO this fall - Hope to see you all there!

Matt

gt40jim
05-17-2008, 09:50 AM
We will surely attend one if not both! Thanks Matt and look forward to meeting you in person! Jim :D

mlytle
05-17-2008, 09:05 PM
just to echo what Jim was saying, don't be afraid of ITR...it is NOT ITE. nobody i know is thinking ITR is some super fast class...it is just a notch (1-2 sec) faster than ITS. there is plenty of data out there to compare ITR times to ITC/B/A/S. just check results for VIR, Summit Point, Pocono, etc. there are bunches of fully tweaked ITR BMW's running.

hey Jim...sounds like Dan and Doc are coming to MARRS 2? cool!

Marshall
the ITR pole guy at summit who was right in front of Dan....;)

gt40jim
05-18-2008, 11:37 AM
Yeah We will be there! Hey, got paddock space for 4? :p Jim

mlytle
05-18-2008, 01:49 PM
definite maybe! unless more its guys enter, will be able to fit you in. you or dan can email with details of trailer setups.

downingracing
06-02-2008, 11:27 AM
Great weekend! THANKS to everyone for coming!!!!! Looking forward to the IT-Fest weekend!

tom91ita
06-02-2008, 12:00 PM
who was there in ITB?

R2 Racing
06-13-2008, 02:13 PM
Can we expect these results to be up on mylaps any time soon?

spdmonkey
06-13-2008, 04:08 PM
Kevin,
Its being worked on. Hopefully in the next couple days or so.

datadude
06-17-2008, 10:54 PM
Kevin,
Its being worked on. Hopefully in the next couple days or so.

All sessions are posted to Mylaps. Search Neohio and find the event. Both the National and Regional are the same event. Regional groups are 6 & 7.