PDA

View Full Version : BoreOffs at Road America

JeffYoung
05-12-2008, 05:36 PM
http://www.scca.com/newsarticle.aspx?hub=1&news=3334

trhoppe
05-12-2008, 05:38 PM
This just answered my question of "will I run IT if it goes National" with a "no".

-Tom

lateapex911
05-12-2008, 05:50 PM
Interesting, why Tom?

Here's quote:

“Club Racing in the United States has evolved in the last decade, and rotating the Runoffs will do nothing but help the event and the Club Racing program, overall,” SCCA Chairman R.J. Gordy said.

Also, the event will move from October to Sept.

Ron Earp
05-12-2008, 06:43 PM
Sounds like a good idea.

Knestis
05-12-2008, 06:52 PM
I think we're missing a bet, not going to a rotational schedule. It's complex, it makes contracts a pain, but I think it would be worth the trouble.

RA isn't a bad venue, under the current set of assumptions.

K

BlueStreak
05-12-2008, 07:11 PM
According to google maps, they've moved it 652 miles.

It is now exactly one more mile away than Topeka was for me.

Further evidence that there is a conspiracy to keep me from having any national ambitions :D

tnord
05-12-2008, 07:12 PM
This just answered my question of "will I run IT if it goes National" with a "no".

-Tom

why, because integra's don't make enough power? :lol:

JoshS
05-12-2008, 07:18 PM
According to google maps, they've moved it 652 miles.

It is now exactly one more mile away than Topeka was for me.

Further evidence that there is a conspiracy to keep me from having any national ambitions :D
You know, you probably expected to hear this, but you get no sympathy from us west coasters.

Topeka, KS: 1834 miles
Elkhart Lake, WI: 2233 miles
Braselton, GA: 2493 miles
Lexington, OH: 2502 miles

If there wasn't a tow fund, I think no one would go. It simply costs too much in both time and money just to get there.

lateapex911
05-12-2008, 08:10 PM
Kirk, I read in that quote the concept of rotational scheduling, but I assumed it would be done in two year bites, probably due to the inability to coerce tracks into anything less than a 2 yr contract...but maybe I'm reading too much into it.

Still 2 years is better then the past stays...

NORRIS
05-12-2008, 11:20 PM
Nothing against RA, It's a great track with awesome bratwurst:)

I thought Topeka was going to be the perminant home of the runoffs?

If National really cared about ALL it's racers it would alternate East and West coast. Until they do there is no way I'm spending all the time and money to run at the runoffs!

ddewhurst
05-12-2008, 11:37 PM
If the SCCA had a deal like they had with Pro Spec Miata for 2-3 years with a left coast & a right coast championship with the overall Runoffs centerally located some of you would still continue to pi$$ & moan. I went to Mid Ohio for 9 years & I have gone to Topeka for 2 years. If the Runoffs were on the left coast or the right coast I wouldn't go while at the same time I wouldn't pi$$ & moan. We'll miss ALL of you who consider the Runoffs the Ruboffs or the Boreoffs.:o Gee, let's see now the Road Americal will have two premire SCCA events for the next three years in the June Sprints & the Runoffs. I am sure the local economy will appreciate everyone & the money they spend.:happy204:

tnord
05-13-2008, 12:00 AM
If the SCCA had a deal like they had with Pro Spec Miata for 2-3 years with a left coast & a right coast championship with the overall Runoffs centerally located some of you would still continue to pi$$ & moan. I went to Mid Ohio for 9 years & I have gone to Topeka for 2 years. If the Runoffs were on the left coast or the right coast I wouldn't go while at the same time I wouldn't pi$$ & moan. We'll miss ALL of you who consider the Runoffs the Ruboffs or the Boreoffs.:o Gee, let's see now the Road Americal will have two premire SCCA events for the next three years in the June Sprints & the Runoffs. I am sure the local economy will appreciate everyone & the money they spend.:happy204:

there seems to be a certain demographic of people that feel entitled, and will bitch like teenage girls on their first PMS cycle if their every need isn't catered to.

shwah
05-13-2008, 12:09 AM
I think this is a good decision for the club.

I have been to the last few runoffs venues, and would have gone to the next. It IS nice that it will be a shorter drive this time, and it sounds like it will be moving more regularly in the future (every 3 years is what I am hearing). I hope it is at VIR next!

I predict that our regionals at RA will become more crowded, but that's OK, it's a big track.

To some of you - If you don't have anything nice to say.... well you already know:rolleyes:

roadracer
05-30-2008, 05:45 AM
I think this is a good decision for the club.

I have been to the last few runoffs venues, and would have gone to the next. It IS nice that it will be a shorter drive this time, and it sounds like it will be moving more regularly in the future (every 3 years is what I am hearing). I hope it is at VIR next!

I predict that our regionals at RA will become more crowded, but that's OK, it's a big track.

To some of you - If you don't have anything nice to say.... well you already know:rolleyes:
Doubtful about VIR. It would be a great place for the Runoffs. Hotels would be rough. Slim pickin's. I'm betting the person in charge of VIR will be the hiccup. Heir grapevine says the Commandant has made lots of friends during his rein as attorney/gestapo/ruler/give-me-the-money ecclestone/extraordinaire.:happy204: But then what do I know? It's an internet forum :shrug:

924Guy
05-30-2008, 08:46 AM
This sucks, it's still further than when it was at Mid-O. ;) j/k

tom_sprecher
05-30-2008, 10:53 AM
I wish it would come back to Road Atlanta. With the price of diesel I really can't justify more than a 4 hour one way drive. The fuel bill alone for CMP last weekend was over $265 :eek: That's an entry fee or a couple of tires for crying out loud.

From talking to drivers at races about how the cost of fuel is affecting their budgets I think we (racing regions) are in for a big suprise come year end.

We need a smilie with a guy pulling his pockets out. :o

TAC
06-01-2008, 09:36 AM
I wish it would come back to Road Atlanta. With the price of diesel I really can't justify more than a 4 hour one way drive. The fuel bill alone for CMP last weekend was over $265 :eek: That's an entry fee or a couple of tires for crying out loud.

From talking to drivers at races about how the cost of fuel is affecting their budgets I think we (racing regions) are in for a big suprise come year end.

We need a smilie with a guy pulling his pockets out. :o

I don't think the racing regions are going to have to wait till the end of the year to see the affect. :blink:

Tak
06-01-2008, 11:50 AM
The price of fuel is a serious consideration. I know several national racers that are skipping long tows because the cost of fuel is prohibitive...The tow fund might cover fuel to the runnofs, but qualifying for them is another matter...

Tak

CRallo
06-01-2008, 04:51 PM
boreoffs??

ever run at RA? far from boring!! :) the track actually surprised the hell outta me to be honest...

In my Opinion RA is a good place for the runoffs. it is one of premire tracks i the US. the infrastructure has the "support" and the town welcomes racers.

I will be there

tom_sprecher
06-01-2008, 05:15 PM
Except for those who have other cars or happen to live in the area, since IT is not a National class and 2/3 of you wish to keep it that way why do we even care where it's run or what it's called?

:shrug:

lateapex911
06-02-2008, 09:39 AM
Except for those who have other cars or happen to live in the area, since IT is not a National class and 2/3 of you wish to keep it that way why do we even care where it's run or what it's called?

:shrug:

Because Tom, I'm part of a club, and club racing is what I do. the health of club racing is important to me. And I think the Runoffs are part of the equation that affects the big picture that is club racing.

tom_sprecher
06-02-2008, 10:17 AM
Because Tom, I'm part of a club, and club racing is what I do. the health of club racing is important to me. And I think the Runoffs are part of the equation that affects the big picture that is club racing.

That's an excellent reason and maybe someday I will remember to concentrate on the big picture and change my perspective from the miopic, self-centered view I tend to have. ;)

lateapex911
06-02-2008, 10:32 AM
Sarcasm (of both posts,) duly noted.

Jake, who read too fast and out of context...