PDA

View Full Version : Here's a little more ITS TR8 data

JeffYoung
05-11-2008, 10:06 PM
Build:

1. Dennis Shaw port matched heads.

2. .020 over pistons

3. 4 into 1 headers from an old TR8 Playboy Endurance car from the 80s. A bit pinched off.

4. As good as the Strombergs are going to get.

4. Intake could use a cold air box, etc. Just K&Ns right now.

Dynojet numbers: 158.5 rwhp, 197 rwtq.

T-mate data at VIR:

Best lap of 2:19.3 (personal best and the ITS pooooole! Kinda a shame given that just a few years ago guys were turning 2:14 there.....).

Front straight: 119 mph.

Uphill esses: 113 mph.

Turn 10: 90 mph.

Back straight: 123 mph.

Hog's Pen: 70 mph.

Parrish57
05-13-2008, 08:17 AM
Very Cool! I didn't realize that you had a Traq Mate in the car. I'm particularly impressed by the uphill esses speed. I didn't think we were going THAT fast..... I was really aware of the tire wall being moved closer to the track because of the condo construction.

JeffYoung
05-13-2008, 09:02 AM
Yup, and when done right, you ACCELERATE up the esses -- I think I entered at 110 and hit 113 briefly before the last right hander. I bet you were the same or faster.

P.S. congrats on Matlocking the Char-Meck court sytem yesterday (I got your message). Amazing lawyers get paid for that isn't it?

seckerich
05-13-2008, 10:03 AM
Front straight 127
Back straight 128
Uphill esses (enter 113) exit 119

This is on a 2:13.9 lap

JeffYoung
05-13-2008, 10:52 AM
Hence, a 2:13 lap. Very nice.

National ITR RX8 driver!? Ahead of the game on all counts!

seckerich
05-13-2008, 12:07 PM
I would have to go through some old data to find the T10 speed but it might scare me and make me slow down.:D I found more speed there changing rear gears and just going faster in certain places. Did I mention I miss my ITS car? Great runs this weekend Jeff. Now that we have the speed lets get some good finishes. Sure you don't need a test driver at CMP????

Ron Earp
05-13-2008, 12:17 PM
Now that we have the speed lets get some good finishes. Sure you don't need a test driver at CMP????

I'll tell you what, from driving that car it is a great race car. But you'll have a hard time driving it. Why? Because of the Cro-Magnon man ergonomically incorrect driving position. Personally I can't go fast in it because I can't reach the pedals, I'm laid back at 45 degrees, my arms are completely straight out to grasp the wheel, and it is hard to heel and toe. I'm not as tall as Jeff but there isn't that much of a difference.

Subjective, I know, plus he does have a trunk monkey. I've seen it. But I've got a standing $100 bet that if Jeff would correct the seat position and get more up on the wheel he'd go faster, no doubt. Like to see him try it out, I know it'd help and if not he wins $100.

JeffYoung
05-13-2008, 02:16 PM
Yup, I'm finding that "going faster" now just means braking less, carrying more corner speed and getting on the gas earlier. No mechanical magic to it, and STILL six seconds off a 2:13...but I do think VIR has slowed some.

Yes, the driving position in my car kinda sucks, and I may try to move the seat around. For $100, definitely.

If you (Steve) want to run the Sat. or Sunday practice in the car, let me know. Would love to have you do it. Sat. would need to be a tire scrub session though, but Sunday you could have at it.

Let me know.

I would have to go through some old data to find the T10 speed but it might scare me and make me slow down.:D I found more speed there changing rear gears and just going faster in certain places. Did I mention I miss my ITS car? Great runs this weekend Jeff. Now that we have the speed lets get some good finishes. Sure you don't need a test driver at CMP????

Parrish57
05-13-2008, 03:36 PM
Yup, and when done right, you ACCELERATE up the esses -- I think I entered at 110 and hit 113 briefly before the last right hander. I bet you were the same or faster.

P.S. congrats on Matlocking the Char-Meck court sytem yesterday (I got your message). Amazing lawyers get paid for that isn't it?

My childhood hero, that Matlock. My offer stands. If you let me give closing arguments in a big case I'll let you fly a 737......

Ron Earp
05-13-2008, 03:43 PM
My childhood hero, that Matlock. My offer stands. If you let me give closing arguments in a big case I'll let you fly a 737......

Oh shit, you don't want to do that!

I tried to let him fly a Cessna but it was a race between how short I could make the pattern and get him on the ground before he tossed his cookies! Fortunately there were no other aircraft in the pattern because I'm not sure what the "diagonal downwind with a 300 degree turn back to the active" is called. Worse than me trying to get to the track facilities after a night of Mexican and beer in Camden.

Gary Gentry
05-14-2008, 06:30 PM
Oh shit, you don't want to do that!

I tried to let him fly a Cessna but it was a race between how short I could make the pattern and get him on the ground before he tossed his cookies! Fortunately there were no other aircraft in the pattern because I'm not sure what the "diagonal downwind with a 300 degree turn back to the active" is called. Worse than me trying to get to the track facilities after a night of Mexican and beer in Camden.

So I take it that unusual attitudes and/or spin recovery practice would be out of the question.....?

JeffYoung
05-15-2008, 11:36 AM
I fly straight and level.....

Mike Mackaman
05-15-2008, 11:46 AM
Let's not post those kind of speeds in public! My wife isn't onto IT.com yet, but given that I am currently not complete getting the dents out of my fender from hitting that gaurd rail they moved, I really don't want to know how fast I was going before I lifted at the apex of the last right hander. All I know is that David S. said I could go through flat and when the car was backwards, I lifted! I think he said something about your line had to be right and you couldn't get behind, but at that point it was too late to argue, so I lifted and broke. Still haven't found the exhaust! What a ride! I'll get it right sometime.

Mike

JeffYoung
06-01-2008, 11:25 PM
CMP, quite a bit slower. I don't have the data from my laps in the 50s, but on a 51 lap, about 97 into turn 1, 70 or so through 3, 93 before turn 4/5, 70 on carousel exit.

Fastest part of the track (for me) is before turn 8, at 109 mph tops (just touched it once or twice, 107/08 mostly), and then 106 before and if I had cojones grande 105 or so through the kink.