PDA

View Full Version : iso MK1 Rabbit/Scirocco shell/roller

Grumpa
05-05-2008, 05:14 PM
My Rabbit met the concrete in turn 15 at IRP/ORP this past weekend and I'm not sure if it will be economically sensible to repair. It hit on the right front corner and pushed the entire front end to the left about an inch and a half - frame rails, etc, ad infinitum. Motor runs fine / oil cooler, radiator survived as did the bumper and even the headlights. The hit also twisted the right corner up about an inch. I'm going to get the drivetrain, coolers, misc stuff out of the car and get the shell to a body shop and see what the damage is. I would appreciate any help the VW IT community can pass along. I am in the Midwest (In) and anyone knowing of a solid shell or roller within a days tow of me, kindly pass the info along. Either way I go, the Mid Ohio IT Spec in August will be upon me very quickly. Thanks to all.

keycom
05-05-2008, 05:23 PM
Jeez, my only real worry on track is that I'll do this to my Rabbit someday.:o:o:o

If you haven't already, check out the VWVortex http://forums.vwvortex.com/zeroforum?id=807 or
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zeroforum?id=802

Good luck and best wishes.:eclipsee_steering:

sciroccohp
05-05-2008, 09:14 PM
ahh just fix it, that is why we call our car 50/50 anyway you split the car in half it is 2 different cars, but I guess that is what happens when you race the same car for like 10 years really hard. I wouldn't want to put our car on a frame rack anymore cause it is so twisted. It used to be a fast ITC and it is still a fast H/G/FP car

joeg
05-06-2008, 08:15 AM
FIX IT--Quicker than a re-shell. May even be cheaper if you do not have a good replacement chassis at hand.

Take it to a good frame machine operator. Scrounge up a front clip.

jay05
05-06-2008, 10:47 AM
This one is an hour east of Cleveland. I know it's a southern car. Hope this helps.

http://www.improvedtouring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23940

bdw73
05-06-2008, 02:24 PM
Jim

Barry here, run the blue HP Rabbit, thanks again for letting me use your relay shaft for the race Sunday, life saver!!!!

Check out Ohiovw.com, there is a 84 GTI with a ton of miles posted on there and there is a clean looking allready built ITC car with a ton of spares for 2800? more than you would want to spend I am sure, but it is posted on there.

I have a left front frame rail if you decide to fix the car and need it, just let me know, it is yours, I will ship it, also have a couple spare a arms if you need them as well.

chewy8000
05-08-2008, 04:48 PM
Jim,

Find a good frame shop in your area and have them straighten it. I payed $200 here to have my shock towers put back to spec. Then find a front clip and weld it in right in front of the towers. I won't lye to you, it's alot of work and needs to be done right but your motor sounds like it's in far better condition than mine. I clipped a miata rolling back across the track at 60 and it's repairable. Here's mine

http://www.improvedtouring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23998

billk2002
05-08-2008, 05:40 PM
[/I]I just listed my 1977 rabbit on here; I'm in Cincinnati. You can give me a call at (513) 503-2192 if you're interested.
Bill Kilduff

todd floppy
05-08-2008, 10:32 PM
I have a 84 GTI GP thats been in storage 2 years that I want to sell. It ran at the runnoffs in 2004 and it was Cendiv 3 that year. Its name is floppy and built by Kevin Paterson. Email if interested [email protected]:happy204:

flaboy
05-09-2008, 08:07 AM
I have a front core support i'll see ya.

Tim

Spinnetti
05-11-2008, 07:38 PM
Owee.. sorry to hear that... I did my first race there aeons ago, and wondered if I might do the same! I've both replaced most of the front shell (bought a front clip), and also re-tubbed. I'd do like some others suggested and just clip in the parts you need. Get a little mig welder, get a front clip, drill spot welds and put it back together. It's cheaper and can be alot faster than re-tubbing it if the rest of the car is good.

Grumpa
05-12-2008, 02:04 PM
You guys are the best, thanks for the input. I believe I have found a Rabbit convertible sitting in a guy's yard. It is straight, good metal, round headlights whereas mine are square (year(s)?), figure I could clip the front if the price is right. Flattened the RR fender lip when it slapped the wall, shouldn't be too ugly to fix. My only concern with pulling it back straight is the front was not only shoved left a couple inches but the hit also twisted the right corner up an 1-1/2 to 2 inches.

I'll get it put back together and have a good reason to paint it. I know paint doesn't win races, but it's going to look odd with a silver front end and a yellow and black fanny. Try to get it done for the I.T. Spec in August. :eclipsee_steering:

flaboy
05-13-2008, 08:49 AM
I also have rear 1/4 panels....let me know if interested.
Tim