PDA

View Full Version : Indy racers (and others that have raced at IRP)

pballance
04-24-2008, 03:11 PM
Tell me about O'reilly raceway park. I am considering coming to a race. The tow is not as far as Roebling or Kershaw and I am curious about the track.

I haven't been able to find a track map can you point me in the right direction?

What size grouping do you have in ITS? I saw the race group was included with the ground pounders etc. for the May regional.

Thanks

Racerlinn
04-24-2008, 03:34 PM
Track map and description embedded in our July newsletter at:
http://www.indyscca.org/newsletter/2007/0707CCJuly.pdf
It's a rather dated description, but you get the idea.
Search "scca irp" on youtube and there are some of Kevin Ruck's videos.

Last May, 8 ITS cars out of a total of 14 in the run group.

Everyone will tell you, the track is bumpy. And it is. The section of T2 thru T3 is rough.
It's a "cowboy" track - run it hard and damn the torpedos.

ddewhurst
04-24-2008, 04:27 PM
***Everyone will tell you, the track is bumpy. And it is. The section of T2 thru T3 is rough.
It's a "cowboy" track - run it hard and damn the torpedos.***

Saying the track is bumpy is a very mild description of the track.

Your go-nads will be:026::026:even with the crotch starp.:o

If T 2 through T 3 is rough what say yee about the parking lot on the other end of the track? Going into T 15 someone better give way, two wide don't make it. & then if it rains there is the maine straight away, err drag strip. Not nice in the wet. If you like the smoothness of Robeling that ain't what you get at IRP/O'reilly raceway park.

All said with an informative :D

RacerBill
04-24-2008, 04:32 PM
Watch out for driver's left between T1 and T2. The ground out there is very low below the level of the track and at Station 1A there is a road that crosses the track to go into the infield and the oval track. If you go off late and are running parallel to the track but in the grass, the ground comes up to meet the crossover road very quickly and you'll be doing a great 'Dukes of Hazard' impression!!!!!

To tell you how low it is, one very wet April there was a lake out there. On Sunday, a FV went off, hit the water, went airborne, and came down upside down. When we got to the car, only the bottoms of the tires were above the water! Driver was ok, but started to worry when his helmet started filling up with water! With three other guys, we flipped the car rightside up and got him out.

My wife was wondering why I carried a spare set of clothes when we were working Sound Control!!!!

Racerlinn
04-25-2008, 09:49 AM
The massive amount of grassy runoff outside 1 and 2 has been graded and generally no longer retains water. It's still bumpy as hell, but it's grass - you're not supposed to be racing out there. The access road is still a concern and we seem to have at least one car each event try to gas it thru there after going off - which is simply not a good idea.

As far as the "parking lot" at the other end, that area of the track was repaved several years ago and patches at apex's done as well. The apex at 7 still has a bump, but you can straddle it.

Correct, dragstip + VHT prep + moisture = not a good thing. But it is what it is.

downingracing
04-25-2008, 11:13 AM
Turns 2-3 are bumpy, but the faster you go, the better it feels! Great track and hosting region for the May3-4 race weekend always does a great job!

Drew Aldred
04-25-2008, 12:58 PM
A little bumpy - sure, but a really fun track to drive. Indy Region does a fantastic job running an event, always a good time. Planning to come down for the July race....

GT240sx
04-25-2008, 02:18 PM
It's a pretty fast track and it is on the bumpy side, but that's why we have shocks on our cars. It is my home track so I can't pass up the 35 minute tow. The competition in ITS is usually pretty good and it looks like the track record holder will be there, so come find out just how fast you can go!

jimbbski
04-26-2008, 11:00 AM
While I have never raced at IRP I have run a couple of HPDE events there with SVTOA. I drove my own 93R Mustang, a 2005 Mustang, and a Ford GT. Yes the track is rough and some parts of the track have little run off area but I enjoyed driving that track more then Gingerman. You have to go fast where you feel safe and dial it back a bit where you don't. And one last thing pray for dry weather!. The first time I was there was on a rainy Friday. The drag strip felt like a sheet of ice and one students car that was following me early in the day looped it and hit the wall while only going about 30 mph.

Grumpa
04-30-2008, 01:40 PM
It's a good track to get yer fast on. Turn 1 is flatout:eek: in my car but I race a ITC Rabbit, so what the hell do I know about speed? Turn 3 is faster than it first appears:017:, DON'T drop your left rear wheel on the exit of 5 as the the concrete wall separating the oval from the real race course has collected a number of ":o shit"s, and try not to apex 9 early or you can get "up close and personal" with 10's driver left kinda close Armco. :018: If I wanted safe and smooth I wouldn't have any fun in this life.

downingracing
04-30-2008, 01:49 PM
ORP is a blast in the rain! T15 is a handfull, but it is FUN! You know every driver is out to get you, but it steps up a notch when the track is out to get you too!!! :D

Racerlinn
04-30-2008, 03:04 PM
The local weather guy who is usually spot-on with forecasts says both Saturday and Sunday will be dry, but cool with highs in the low 60's.

RacerBill
04-30-2008, 04:16 PM
Don't forget the 'wall of death' at turn 15, taking you onto the main straight (drag strip). To second what Dave said, the road course enters the main straight right over the concrete launch pads for the drag strip. The chemicals that they use to make them sticky do not react well with water, and the exit from turn 15 gets really slippery.

jimbbski
04-30-2008, 06:47 PM
Regarding turn 15. If you have to go off there go off straight, don't try to turn at all. I had a brain fart there and by going off straight I didn't hit anything and was able to get back on corse and continue.

RacerBill
04-30-2008, 10:30 PM
Jim's right. I just didn't remember if the track blocked off the access road (wouldn't really call it an escape road) with jersey barriers.

BTW, Grumpa, I remember when that car ran Showroom Stock!

spdmonkey
05-01-2008, 11:38 PM
Steve,
Your weather guy may need to do some work for us. Our local guy is showing on and off showers. I'm still coming though. Rain tires in tow. Can we scrub the VHT off overnight?......