PDA

View Full Version : Help a noob get started

pioneer160
04-23-2008, 05:05 PM
OK. delete

rsx858
04-23-2008, 05:41 PM
Well if your serious about getting into racing youll need to take a look at the GCR available at scca.com and get a feel for the various classes and what fits your budget. Its a long read and there are lots of details but it is a must. IMHO the IT class is the best bang for your buck hands down.

About your car, IT does not allow turbocharged cars and there are very strict rules as far as engine and drivetrain modifications that can be made. If your intent on running your civic it will go in the ITE class which is more of an "anything goes" type class. If your looking to race in an organized class full of equal cars your going to want to build or buy a car legal for ITR,S,A,B,C.

All of the build rules are outlined in detail in the gcr and it will answer all of your questions. Getting a race license and the car together can be a lengthy and expensive process depending on the route you take so let me suggest you purchase a used race car and get started. I bought my ITS car a few years ago when I started out and as my driving skills improved, i improved the car. It has been an adventure and the most exciting thing iv ever done, but its certainly a drain on my time and expenses.

If you havent already, get out there and do some autox and HPDE track days to get a feel and hopefully we'll see you out there eventually!

Good Luck!

o yea - buy this book and save yourself a ton of trouble
www.goaheadtakethewheel.com

gsbaker
04-24-2008, 08:04 AM
...and buy this car:

http://www.improvedtouring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23921