PDA

View Full Version : Z Wiper Motor Wiring

Ron Earp
04-21-2008, 05:57 PM
I am trying to wire up my Z wiper motors so that they will work. My car has a switch at the dash, but it is not powered and the harness is all hacked up. Besides, I like my toggle switch panel and I'd like to wire them through my 15 amp breaker.

I popped the access panel to the wiper motor and from what little I see I find the following wires around the motor:

Blue/White
Blue/Red
Yellow
Brown

My shop manual and wiring diagrams are in my trailer at work. Does anyone know what wire(s) need 12V to put the wipers on high? I figured I'd ask here before I get out the VOM and start measuring looking for the motor resistance and so on. Also, is the brown to be grounded? I'd be making an assumption there but will check it out.

Ron

pballance
04-21-2008, 10:38 PM
And you call your self a Z pilot! For shame, you should keep your manual with your drivers suit so you can have it close at hand. :)

FWIW, and I took this from the wiring diagram, if I could figure out how to scan the diagram I will post it. (I am surfing on the kids computer and it appears the scanner has been disabled)

Black is ground, blue appears to be the power lead, blue/white is one speed, blue/yellow is the second speed. Blue/yellow appears to be high speed.

This is from a '72 manual. Your color code may be different but I suspect the blue/ white and blue/red are the two speeds.

Your mileage may vary, use at your own risk.

BTW, I almost have the spare struts ready for sectioning, new coilovers, new springs, and all new bushings. Cut off wheel and grinder got a big workout this past weekend.

UPDATE: I found a diagram of the connector at the motor. 5 pins arranged in a 2/2/1. Top left is power source (blue/red), top right is "torelay"(blue/white), Middle left is ground(black), middle right is low speed(blue), bottom right (single pin) is high speed Blue/yellow

mom'sZ
04-22-2008, 09:47 AM
Ron:
Here is a link to an Auto Zone site with wiring diagrams for Zcars. Figure 10 appears to be the chassis electric for 74 260 showing wipers.
http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/1d/1d/80/0900823d801d1d80/repairInfoPages.htm
They are kind of simplified schematics and I rely on the one in my factory service manual for the final word but these may help all of us.

Ron Earp
04-23-2008, 06:36 PM
Thanks for the posts fellows! I never knew about that online resource with the wiring diagrams, good find.

In the end what I did it looked at the wiper harness coming through the firewall and measured the resistance of wires to ground til I found the motor windings. These two wires are brown coming straight to the winding.

Then simply hook 12V to either of these to select your speed, one is fast and one is slow. I wired my for "fast" wiping. The motor itself is already grounded to the chassis via the bolts so you don't have to worry about that. All there is to it, skip the relays and all that junk on the harness. Just make sure you have a fuse or breaker and you'll be fine.

Ron

x-ring
04-24-2008, 09:27 AM
Why do you need wipers anyway? Does it rain where you live? :shrug:

Sigh - The humidity was 11% here yesterday, and we have four wildfires out of control in the state at this moment.

Z3_GoCar
05-06-2008, 12:19 AM
Why do you need wipers anyway? Does it rain where you live? :shrug:

Sigh - The humidity was 11% here yesterday, and we have four wildfires out of control in the state at this moment.

It doesn't rain here! When I want to avoid rain at the track I make sure to bring my wiper arms. If they're in the tool box, then it's gar-ron-teed to not rain. Same thing with rain tires. I know of more rain tires that have split from dry-rot and UV damage, holding down the EZ-up, than have even been used up on the track.

James