PDA

View Full Version : Skid plate or gaurd is it legal?

arpenn
04-21-2008, 11:30 AM
First off I don't have a gcr with me and I am unable to download a copy at this time. I have a 1990 Honda Civic Si with a header on it. The problem is that the header and oil pan hang down below the main frame of the car. Is it legal to put some sort of a skid plate or gaurd to protect my expensive header and oil pan? Both have already got dents from hitting things.

Knestis
04-21-2008, 11:53 AM
Not so far as I've ever seen. Although you could reinforce the bee-jeebers out of the header where it bottoms out, like with a reinforcement plate that takes the hit rather than the tubes.

K

JeffYoung
04-21-2008, 11:56 AM
If it is connected to somethign that is "free" it may be. Like Kirk said, perhaps something welded to the bottom of the header tube may work. Also, an undertray is legal back to I think the mid point of the front wheels (is that right) -- probably not enough to get you a skid plate, but something to consider.

Again, build of something that is free but don't violate another rule and you may come up with something that works. I would think the "undertray' rule is the one you need to be careful of not violating.

tom91ita
04-21-2008, 12:02 PM
not sure if blocking air to the oil pan could cause temperatures to rise?

and i personally want very little under my oil pan. i had a major engine failure last year with a connecting rod perforating the oil pan. i had made the mistake of using header wrap. it got soaked with oil and then caught fire.

i would rather have the oil dump to the ground than get hung up on a skid plate, etc.

shwah
04-21-2008, 12:09 PM
Air dam undertray can go back to the front edge of the wheel well opening.

JeffYoung
04-21-2008, 12:30 PM
Got it, thanks Chris.

joeg
04-21-2008, 04:33 PM
Same idea--a steel "splitter"

JoshS
04-21-2008, 04:37 PM
If it is connected to somethign that is "free" it may be. Like Kirk said, perhaps something welded to the bottom of the header tube may work. Also, an undertray is legal back to I think the mid point of the front wheels (is that right) -- probably not enough to get you a skid plate, but something to consider.

Nope, a front spoiler is legal only as far back as the front edge of the wheel opening. There are no allowances for undertrays, but people seem use the spoiler allowance to run splitters/undertrays.

shwah
04-21-2008, 06:09 PM
Josh is right. The bottom surface of the air dam cannot go further back than the front of the wheel opening. It also cannot go further forward than the 'shadow' of the car body.

Of course since you are able to install any air dam that fits within the rules defined, it is perfectly legal for it to include a bottom surface, and to protrude forward at the bottom within the body shadow.

MMiskoe
04-21-2008, 09:20 PM
"Engine Stayrods" are pretty open.......

iambhooper
04-22-2008, 06:31 AM
I'll look later this week, but on my '87 CRX, I think the position ing of the half shafts are such that they are behind my oil pan... meaning an undertray would have the added bonus of being a skid plate.

Need to get me one of those at some point... the only engine failure I've ever had was due to a hole in the oil pan.

hoop

shwah
04-22-2008, 07:40 AM
Hoop. Your oil pan is in front of the front edge of the wheel well opening?

chuck baader
04-22-2008, 10:08 AM
Back in my motocross days (mid 70s) when expansion chambers were under the bike, we would take 1/2" angle and weld to the bottom of the chamber, pointy side down. Had to do it on my e30 also because I had flattened a couple of tubes. Works well and very inexpensive. Chuck