PDA

View Full Version : Adding 150 Pounds

toddgreene
04-13-2008, 09:51 PM
I noticed in 2005 the 1984-87 CRX-Si (injected) is in ITA at 1980#.
It is now in ITB at 2130#.

How do you legally (practically) add 150# ?
Re-install everything that was stripped in "05?

BTW, I have a carb'ed ITC at 1955#

Thanks,

Todd

Gregg
04-13-2008, 10:19 PM
As you noted, this is the 3rd season the car will be in ITB. The easiest items to look at first....

Start your race with a full tank of gas.
Put a spare tire back in (Hint: use a full-sized steel 14" or 15", not a space-saver)
Re-install an original passenger seat
Install ballast in the approved areasOnce you do that stuff you probably won't have to do too much left

Knestis
04-13-2008, 10:35 PM
...Put a spare tire back in (Hint: use a full-sized steel 14" or 15", not a space-saver)

This presumes that some cars on that spec line were delivered with full-sized spares of those sizes, of course.

K

Gregg
04-13-2008, 10:45 PM
No, Kirk. This presumes that ITCS 9.1.3.D.7.a is valid.

Any wheel/tire may be used within the following limitations.....There is no distinction currently placed on the spare wheel/tire vs. the other four and there are no limitations placed on the spare in that section. You do, of course, have the option of removing that spare (ITCS 9.1.3.D.10.c).

Knestis
04-14-2008, 08:21 AM
I'm not a steward but that's too much stretch.

The spare wheel and tire are treated in a separate section, distinct from the other wheels and tires - different rules apply. The spare may be removed but there's no allowance for replacing it.

Taken to the logical extreme applied by your rationale (to use the heaviest possible wheel for ballast in the rear), you're telling us that it would be OK to turn a custom spare wheel out of lead to poke over the rear axle, under the "any wheel/tire may be used" clause? If you're arguing that he should use a heavy stock wheel, under that allowance, why stop there and not use an "aftermarket" version?

Clever but not legal. <-- An opinion

K

EDIT - and there's no obligation for the rules to place a restriction on things we don't want people to do. If the rules don't specifically allow it, it isn't allowed.

gran racing
04-14-2008, 08:28 AM
I thought in previous GCRs is had a line which stated that only the original OEM spare tire was allowed? The wording always seemed clear to me that I could only use the space saver spare and not a full size.

tom91ita
04-14-2008, 10:39 AM
i am with K on this for the spacesaver spare tire. mine just took a couple #'s of wheel weights to get the balance just right.......

i have door bars, added a bar above the dash to the A-pillar front bars. will likely add a couple more bars. i had long since got rid of the passenger seat. and lots of stuff that you can add back in are relatively high (stock seat belts, etc.)

then i bolted ~120 #'s in front of the seat mounts. i welded in some angle iron to help locate the 50# blocks of steel.

i borrowed lead for a while but it would loosen due to the lead being soft.

Knestis
04-14-2008, 10:45 AM
>> ...mine just took a couple #'s of wheel weights to get the balance just right.......

Okaaaay.

K

jrvisual
04-14-2008, 11:25 AM
Alternating between McDonald's, Wendy's and Burger King for 6 months should do the trick.

joeg
04-14-2008, 11:39 AM
Jeff's solution is the best...let nature take its course.

If you don't have time for a Supersize Me routine, try a nice, heavy gauge stainlees steel Exhaust system. The spare tire idea is common. Add an Accusump and associated hoses--you can pick where.

lateapex911
04-14-2008, 11:55 AM
Cool suit cooler filled with water...bracketry to mount, etc.

titanium
04-14-2008, 12:34 PM
Don't forget, there is no restriction on the size of the video camera.:D

dickita15
04-14-2008, 01:35 PM
Don't forget, there is no restriction on the size of the video camera.:D
or fire bottle

Greg Amy
04-14-2008, 01:57 PM
or fire bottle

Or the additional rollcage tubes added, for safety.