PDA

View Full Version : Al Fairer Double SARRC at VIR

Parrish57
04-11-2008, 06:16 PM
Since I'm not sure about being able to make it to Roebling Road later this month I started looking forward on the schedule to the Al Fairer Double SARRC at VIR May 10th and 11th. I love VIR, especially the Full Coarse. I have the weekend off from work. But I'm having doubts because of the run groups. I see that ITS and ITR are scheduled to run with SRF. Am I the only one that gets bent out of shape when a region disregards the SEDIV race groupings? I don't see anything in the supps about a split start. I wonder if we could get a commitment from the stewards to split start the SRFs? Anyone...Bueller...Bueller?

Am I being unreasonable?

Ron Earp
04-11-2008, 06:30 PM
Hey Steve,

Jeff and I were discussing the same thing. One of the reasons why I don't run the Carolina Cup regularly is that I don't like the SRFs in the run group. I have nothing against the drivers of the cars, but the cars themselves I have a heck of a time seeing. And as you know I bumped one off track at CMP thus taking us both out of the race (my fault) thus I'm a bit apprehensive about racing with them now as that was my first and only on track accident to date.

I'd be happy to throw in support on a letter for a split start and I bet the SRF guys would like it too. They don't like getting mixed up with the ITS/ITA cars any more than we like getting mixed up with them. Jeff mentioned that Ginny sets up the run groups, maybe we could write her and throw a few names on the email and see what can be done.

Now, about that Roebling Road, I sure hope you can make it down there. I think you're driving well and your car is strong, you could be running well for a good SAARC/SIC finish in 2008! Bring it on out!

JeffYoung
04-11-2008, 06:43 PM
I am with you guys. I do not like racing with SRFs. We make speed way differently, and I can't see them. I'll e-mail Ginny about a split start.

JeffYoung
04-11-2008, 06:50 PM
Steve, send me your e-mail address to [never mind, got it from Ron -- who would thought it would have been [email protected]]. I've started a dialogue with Ginny on this (she's great by the way) and we'll see if we can't at least get a split start. Would like to include you in the discussion.

Parrish57
04-11-2008, 07:05 PM
Steve, send me your e-mail address to [never mind, got it from Ron -- who would thought it would have been sparrish@ theGIANTpenispump,com I've started a dialogue with Ginny on this (she's great by the way) and we'll see if we can't at least get a split start. Would like to include you in the discussion.

Fixed that for ya...

Ginny really is awsome.. I hope she has some pull. But I'm tired of selling my soul to get the weekend off, busting my arss to get the car ready and loaded, filling up the tanks, driving to the track, and paying the entry fee only to have a race Steward simply say "No" when the overwhelming majority asks for a split start. I need more assurance this time.

Hotshoe
04-12-2008, 06:36 PM
Fixed that for ya...

Ginny really is awsome.. .

Steve,

... I have nothing but praise for Ginny. Man does she work hard for our region.

.... If I had my way..... A SRF would be considered an open wheel car.

.... Now if they want to put bumpers on those door stops I'll be glad to run with them........ That way I can Blow the Horn when I need to :cool:

.... Rickey

neal norton
04-13-2008, 10:24 AM
I raced a SRF with the IT cars last year at the 13 hour and also a CCP race at VIR last year in an SRF.

I did get punted by an SM on entry to the pits during the 13 hour, but that wasn't a class specific issue.

I have also raced the 13 hour in an IT car and did not mind the SRF's on the track. I thought we mixed well and had a great time sharing the track.

I know a sprint is a different situation, but I sure would hate to see the SRF's excluded from enduros like they are here in Florida.

iambhooper
04-14-2008, 07:23 AM
I hate to think what you guys think of the ITC cars out there :D Hopefully doing away with the VIN rule will make it an easy transition for me to ITB.

I was at VIR for the Double Nationals this weekend, and brought the concern up to Ginny. Apparently, she had received an email or two about it, and had sent it on to the appropriate people. Maybe it will happen, maybe not.

I don't have issue with the SRF drivers... as with all the SRF's, IT7's, and SM's, if I can't see it, I can hear it. As I've progressed as a driver, I've grown to use my ears as much (maybe more than) as my mirrors.

hoop

Ron Earp
04-14-2008, 07:40 AM
Hey hoop, ITC cars are no problem at all. They are tall enough to see! It isn't the speed differential that is the problem. In fact the fast SRFs are spread all through the ITS/ITA run group, or we're spread all through theirs depending on how you look at it. The visuals are the main issue, you've really got to spend a lot of time looking for them and even then you are going to miss some that close in the corners and simply our out of view of they mirrors.

The SRFs are hard to hear in relation to an uncorked S car too - they don't rev so high and I think most S cars are a fair bit louder, although the sound sheet would show it.

How was the National, good stuff?

R

iambhooper
04-14-2008, 06:18 PM
Hey hoop, ITC cars are no problem at all. They are tall enough to see! It isn't the speed differential that is the problem. We wish we were faster :D I cant tell you how often we get slowed up by a SM that has more torque down the straight, but no grip in the corners.

The SRFs are hard to hear in relation to an uncorked S car too - they don't rev so high and I think most S cars are a fair bit louder, although the sound sheet would show it. I didn't think about that... extra Cylinders = extra noise!

How was the National, good stuff?

R

Nationals was great! I worked pit out, so I got to see everything come by. Some really nice cars! Saturday the Big Bore Wings n Things had to run in the rain... that was exciting! Apparently one of them barrel rolled at 8.

In Saturday's SRF race, Lee Hill started 6th on dry tires, quickly fell back to 25th, and worked his way back to win the race.

Wayne Quick got 2nd on Sunday, and there was a big wreck in the big bore class at Nascar, with 50% track blockage!

Surprisingly, other than 1 Miata probably being totaled (he still finished the race), the SM group was quiet most of the weekend.

hoop

Aged racer
04-18-2008, 09:25 PM
Guys, I drove the National last weekend in Spec Miata, where we were combined with the T3 and SSB/ SSC guys (about two-thirds SM). A couple of the SS guys asked during the drivers meeting on Friday if we could have a split start. The head steward (Clyde, I think) asked for a show of hands, most of us voted yes, and bam, it was done!

I was surprised, we had asked for this a couple times last year and got turned down. So, maybe it won't be so hard?

Also, the qualifying sessions were gridded first come, first served all weekend.

Steve

tbtapper
04-21-2008, 11:40 AM
I'm sure disappointed to be missing the Al Fairer weekend this year. It is one of my most anticipated events.

Just a little update to all those that I do so enjoy racing with. I sure do NOT like body work. I put it off as much as possible but eventually it gets done!

My car is almost ready for the body shop. Fenders, snout, passengers door are on. Now I have to tie in all the front underpans because I put on an 89 snout and they don't quite match up.

After that it's off to MAACO for the rear quarter panels to be pulled straight and then paint. Just plain old white this time. Boy my car sure was beautiful when I first got it. Whomever did the paint was pretty good especially for a race car.

My target race is perhaps RA but definitely Barber and then the ARRC. That's it for this year, "operating overhead" is way out of budget.

I'm sure none of you are shivering in fear of me returning to the S ranks but it will be good to finally get some use out of Chris' nifty programable ECU.

As always happens when you are "forced" into really getting into the minutia of your car you find all sorts of stuff you should have done better, like ensuring that the alternator output cable is really tight and charging your battery.

Can't wait to be back.

Play hard but be nice it's a HOBBY remember!

Travers
ITS 19

Parrish57
04-22-2008, 04:40 PM
I'm sure disappointed to be missing the Al Fairer weekend this year. It is one of my most anticipated events.

Just a little update to all those that I do so enjoy racing with. I sure do NOT like body work. I put it off as much as possible but eventually it gets done!

My car is almost ready for the body shop. Fenders, snout, passengers door are on. Now I have to tie in all the front underpans because I put on an 89 snout and they don't quite match up.

After that it's off to MAACO for the rear quarter panels to be pulled straight and then paint. Just plain old white this time. Boy my car sure was beautiful when I first got it. Whomever did the paint was pretty good especially for a race car.

My target race is perhaps RA but definitely Barber and then the ARRC. That's it for this year, "operating overhead" is way out of budget.

I'm sure none of you are shivering in fear of me returning to the S ranks but it will be good to finally get some use out of Chris' nifty programable ECU.

As always happens when you are "forced" into really getting into the minutia of your car you find all sorts of stuff you should have done better, like ensuring that the alternator output cable is really tight and charging your battery.

Can't wait to be back.

Play hard but be nice it's a HOBBY remember!

Travers
ITS 19

Travers... The rest of the ITS world shares your disdane for bodywork. What happened to you at Kershaw really sucks. We all look forward to your return. If it's any consolation, I found the same thing when I had to replace my car after a big hit. I found that there were many things that were underprepared on the old car. The next version is always faster and better preparred.

I'm also hoping to make Barber. I went there last year and seriously enjoyed the track! Get that baby finished and come out to play!

JeffYoung
04-30-2008, 08:43 PM
Guys, I just spoke with Sara Snider, Chief Steward for the VIR race. We can request a split start after qualifying Saturday morning and she said the request would likely be granted.

We should get as big a group of ITS drivers together as we can and go see the Operating Steward right after we qualify and ask. Steve, Ron, you guys in?

Ron Earp
04-30-2008, 08:48 PM
I'm in on that action. I'm sure many of the other ITS/ITR/ITA drivers will be too.

Ron

Hotshoe
04-30-2008, 09:04 PM
I'm in on that action. I'm sure many of the other ITS/ITR/ITA drivers will be too.

Ron

I'm all for it but.............. Who starts in front of who?

I sure don't want to have to pass all of them..........

JeffYoung
04-30-2008, 09:07 PM
Sara asked the same question.......

I'm just more concerned about keeping the S cars together for a while. Preferably we'd start in the front, but being the in back would still be better than all mixed up with them (in my humble opinion).

Ron Earp
04-30-2008, 09:08 PM

...well clearly if we're doing the asking we're starting out front! :p

Parrish57
04-30-2008, 10:43 PM

I sure don't want to have to pass all of them..........

Good point... but I don't think it really matters. If we start half a track behind some SRF and run him down we'll be past and long gone lickity split. I just don't want to start side-by-side with an SRF that qualified with identical lap times.....

JeffYoung
04-30-2008, 10:46 PM
I also questioned Sara about why cars form the NINETEEN SEVENTIES were allowed to start in my group, much less even race at all. She sighed, agreed, and indicated that all cars from the NINETEEN SEVENTIES will start as a group, parked, on pit road. After 3-4 laps, they will let you guys on to the track -- but stay out of people's way!

Ron Earp
05-01-2008, 08:55 AM
I just got off the phone with Sara. She did say it is true that cars from the 70s will have to wait on grid while the other cars start the race. However, she clairified the rules for me. The older your car, the longer you have to wait - one minute per year. Therefore a 1970 240Z would have to wait four minutes longer than a 1974 260Z. Good luck guys!

JeffYoung
05-01-2008, 10:20 AM
He'll still beat us.

Parrish57
05-01-2008, 10:23 AM
I just got off the phone with Sara. She did say it is true that cars from the 70s will have to wait on grid while the other cars start the race. However, she clairified the rules for me. The older your car, the longer you have to wait - one minute per year. Therefore a 1970 240Z would have to wait four minutes longer than a 1974 260Z. Good luck guys!

Sounds fair! I'll even throw in a LeMans start!

R2 Racing
05-08-2008, 10:07 AM
Hey guys, I need some advice. I'm making my first ever trip to VIR this weekend and I'm trying to decide how to get there. I'm coming from Columbus, OH so I'll be heading down I-77 from WV, but am not sure where to go from there. Mapquest says to just take SR-58 all the way there from I-77, but I've heard that that's an awfully hilly and twisty road. I should say that I'm going to be in a RV+enclosed trailer combo, so the least amount of that stuff, the better. I'm thinking that maybe taking I-81 from I-77 would work better, and then heading down either SR-220 into Martinsville or SR-29 into Danville. Any advice?

I'm taking tomorrow off of work, so I should be able (or am hoping to) get all of the driving in before dark. So that should help a bit in the off-highway driving but still, I want to minimize that as much as I can.

JeffYoung
05-08-2008, 10:14 AM
Kevin, I've never come in that way and unfortunately am not much help. I have driven into Virginia from West Virginia, and even 77 can get hilly and windy. I'd stay on 77 as much as possible. Things do flatten quite a bit once you get east/southeast of Roanoke.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

jrvisual
05-08-2008, 10:26 AM
I have never been on 58 west of Danville, but it is a nice 4 lane east of Danville. Coming from the northwest you are going to be in the hills any way that you come.

Use maps.google.com. You can drag the route to any road you want to get an idea of how a different route effects travel time and you can click the terrain button to get a visual idea of how hilly it will be.

Harvey
05-08-2008, 10:39 AM
Kevin:

I live here in Danville and 58 is not terrible. I have been on much worse. The route that you were thinking about I suppose is over to Roanoke and then down 220 to Martinsville will be better roads but out of the way.

Les Chaney
#33VolvoGP

Ron Earp
05-08-2008, 10:47 AM
Kevin,

You could come down 77 to 460, take 460 over to 81. 460 is a four lane divided most of the way and would save time over 77 to 81 if you are thinking about going through Roanoke.

The most direct way would be 77 to 81, then 74 down to 58, and 58 to the track. I've driven a lot through those roads and 58 is managable. it gets a bit hilly and curvy around Stuart VA but it isn't bad.

Ron

tac911t
05-08-2008, 01:14 PM
Kevin,

Check for a route on I64 east from Beckley, WV to Rt 501 at Buena Vista, VA, then Rt 501 to Lynchburg, VA, then Rt 29 south to Danville.

Make sure your tow vehicle has good brakes for the run down the West VA turnpike, and if you do take I64 East from Beckley there is a steep downgrade and upgrade (both directions) where you will need your brakes and torque.

The road from Buena Vista to Lynchburg is a two lane road through the mountains, it has twisties, but the tow is not bad. I weny that way when I towed to Mid-Ohio (8-9 hour tow from Lynchburg). It is about an hour drive from Buena Vista to Lychburg, and then just over 1 1/2 hours from Lynchburg to VIR's front gate.

Which race car(s) are you bringing?

R2 Racing
05-08-2008, 01:16 PM
Use maps.google.com. You can drag the route to any road you want to get an idea of how a different route effects travel time and you can click the terrain button to get a visual idea of how hilly it will be.

Pretty neat tool. I can't say I've ever used that before. It looks like if I take SR-53 the whole way from I-77, I'm looking at about 436 miles, but some pretty hilly terrain from Hillsville (duh!) through Stuart. Taking the SR-460 to I-81 to SR-220 route would be about 456 miles. Longer, but should be flatter. Hmm, we'll see how adventurous I feel.

edit - Todd, google's saying that way is 484 miles. I've towed down I-77 before and didn't have much difficulty with it. Just need some patience for some of those hills. But hey, at least gas is cheap, so I'll just floor it.

Parrish57
05-11-2008, 07:03 AM
Race Update: Saturdays ITS, ITR, SRF was a good one. The podium was Parrish, Plucker, McCandless. Jeff Young had an off on the first lap but recovered to finish fourth. Earp fifth. Thompson ran away with ITR, but there was a really fast blue BMW 325 that looked strong at the end. And there were some SRFs, from which we didn't get s split start.

IT7 had one of the closest finishes I've ever seen with Blair Stit edging out Lytle(sp?) by a bumper cover!

Watching the radar for the Sunday qual and race. Looks like there may be RAIN!

Ron Earp
05-11-2008, 07:31 AM
Fantastic job Steve and nice way to recover from the rocker arm issue, nice work. Chris and McCandless too, good podium finish there for McCandless on his first time out.

My family was up and my wife and daughter watched the race on Sat. Interesting comments - "well, there was Rickey, and he was way up here away from everyone else....then there was a big gap, some flat cars (SRFs), and then some other cars that looked likes yours, sort of. Then some more flat cars, then we saw Jeff run off a couple of times, some more flat cars, and then there is you. What happened?". Well, hard to do a lot better with half the motor running.

Bad luck for Jeff and he cut down two good Hoosiers as well. Hope the fixes will help out for Mother's Day.

IT7 was a good race, very good - congrats guys.

Looks like you guys might be clear for qualifying this morning but I suspect the rain will set in solid about 10-11am according to the radar - good luck!!!!

Ron Earp
05-11-2008, 10:43 AM
Heard things were mostly dry for the ITR/ITS group and Jeff Young with the TR8 has ITS pole starting alongside Rickey T on the ITR pole, with Steve P. in second. Now, if you guys just hold the speeds down like Sat's start and let torque take over you'll both be fine. I know if I had the pole in that TR8 I'd start at about 25 mph and let the chips fall where they may...

Good luck!

As a side note I hear they have a split start today so the SRFs won't be in the IT cars. A good thing. After yesterday's race without a split start I have to say if the NCRSCCA section is going to continue to go against the SAARC run groupings, which should be ITR/ITS/ITA/IT7, and run ITR/ITS/SRF instead then I don't think I'll be racing with the region. MANY of the other ITR/ITS racers felt the same, as do the SRF guys. These cars do not mix well and make speed in different areas, as well as can't see one another.

seckerich
05-11-2008, 10:59 AM
Congratulations to Steve P on his first SARRC win. It has been a long time coming. And now we have "Mean Green" on the pole!! :smilie_pokal: Damn I miss my S car.

Ron Earp
05-11-2008, 11:35 AM
I didn't know that was his first, double congratulations! I could have sworn you'd won those before but I'm getting confused with the Cup I suppose. Hope it stays dry for you guys today!

mlytle
05-11-2008, 01:43 PM
results posted anywhere yet? didn't see them on mylaps.

Ron Earp
05-11-2008, 02:35 PM
I don't know if they are up yet but I spoke with Jeff Y and got a brief, although it'll be from his view since he's the one briefing me!

Dry start, but Jeff had transmission problems on the outlap and had to pull off and let the field go by, so he doesn't know how the start was. Car would not shift into third in hog's pen, then, wouldn't go in fourth either, so he got it in fifth and ran the race.

As I understand it Steve P won 1st place for two SAARC firsts in a weekend, congratulations! After that Chris was second, Jeff Y managed to run around and get by Jeff M., and get a third place while Jeff M was 4th. Not sure if Jay Miller ran or not.

Rain came down in the last third of the race and saw numerous offs, including Jeff Y in 5 and Jeff M in 10 with a nice 360 and subsequent catch. I think ITR had Rickey in first place but not sure.

Sounds like all the IT cars are in one piece. I'm sure folks will post an update.

R

JeffYoung
05-11-2008, 08:08 PM
If only they gave points for qualifying....I qualled 2nd Saturday, blew that with a 1st lap off, 1st today and had a weird tranny hang up issue that slowly cured itself over the course of the race. Bad rain the last few laps, Jeff M. had a wicked 360 and save in turn 10, I nosed into the tire wall on the last lap, but made it back around for 3rd. Steve P. picked up two wins, Chris P. two seconds. Good job guys.

The IT7 race Saturday was awesome...Blair and TOm had a great battle, and then Neil, Chuck and Robert M. for 3rd.

Kirk K had a GREAT race for the ITB win on Saturday and then just dominated today, was running 4th overall at some point I think. Awesome drive!

Parrish57
05-11-2008, 08:16 PM
Congratulations to Steve P on his first SARRC win. It has been a long time coming. And now we have "Mean Green" on the pole!! :smilie_pokal: Damn I miss my S car.

Thanks! Now make that first and second SARRC wins!

Sundays raceday started with an eye to the sky. We were very lucky in qualifying. Our group was about the only dry session of the morning. The track was still slower than Saturday due to oil. There was speedy dry all over. Congrats to Jeff Y on the pole!

After all the discussion we still didn't get a split start. I had 3 SRFs between myself and Jeff. But Jeff turned left out of Hog Pen!?!? That made it 2 days in a row that he had to chase the field down from dead last.

The middle of the race was uneventful but with about 2 laps to go it started to rain. With all of the oil out there it started to create havoc. I understand both of the Jeffs had spins with Mr. Young coming out ahead ( albiet with a little bit of front end damage ). The last lap of the race was probably slower than the pace lap!

Ron Earp
05-11-2008, 08:49 PM
After all the discussion we still didn't get a split start. I had 3 SRFs between myself and Jeff.

You are kidding?

I think we need to get a petition going with the SE SAARC runners and instigate some changes. If that doesn't work I suppose voting with our attendance might get some attention too. ITR/ITS does not need to play with SRF.

Congrats again on those wins!!

JeffYoung
05-11-2008, 08:55 PM
Nope and this was after an SRF driver told me before the race that THEY had asked for one too.

This was really, really disappointing.

Ron Earp
05-11-2008, 09:16 PM
This was really, really disappointing.

Very disappointing.

I also was a bit surprised at the steward's reaction to the question when asked about a split start immediately after the driver's meeting.

a) He said it was the first time he'd heard about the request although we know as a group the concept was brought up a month ago to the folks that coordinate the event.

b) Instead of listening to driver comments from Steve and the group he went on to explain how we could avoid trouble just as he did from when he raced Production for 13 years and had to deal with the cars. I'm pleased that he's a much more competent driver than I am and the SRFs don't bother him. But that doesn't change the fact that ITR/ITS drivers don't want to race with SRFs, AND, the SRF's don't want to race with us either.

Be one less ITS car racing the SAARC races with that grouping. I dislike it.

pballance
05-11-2008, 10:17 PM
Congrats Steve and Jeff!

Sounds like you guys had a blast. Jeff, too bad about the gearbox but glad you were able to overcome.

Wish I could have been there. Congrats again to SteveP on his first 2 SARRC wins, Now Steve, you need to come to Nashville next month!!

jmark
05-12-2008, 06:34 AM
Congrats Steve!

Parrish57
05-12-2008, 01:03 PM
Thanks Paul!

Thanks to you too Mark! You would like the trophies that NCR gave out. They used photos from some of the pro photogs of the actual car and finishing place. They printed them so fast that they were presented before impound was over! Thanks NCR and good job:happy204:

Hotshoe
05-12-2008, 03:37 PM
Congrats Steve !
Congrats again to SteveP on his first 2 SARRC wins!

Steve,

.... I didn't know that.......... What was I thinking:shrug:

.... Congratulations.. Here:smilie_pokal:Here:smilie_pokal:

.... I had always thought that you had won a SARRC race before. Had I known I would have whooped it up in tech..... Way to go Steve...

Parrish57
05-12-2008, 04:34 PM
Thanks buddy! Yeah, Bryan and I have won an ECR at VIR and I've won several CCPS races but before this weekend my best SARRC finish was 2nd. Now that I've had a taste I want MORE!!!!!!!!!! What a great feeling....

Bryan88
05-12-2008, 11:31 PM
Way to go Steve.......

I have seen the time and effort for many years to get to this......most
folks just don't realize the prep level that You show up at the track with.

There are not many bolts on that car that go untouched while sitting
in the garage at home.......

And it is darn sure showing on the track !!!!!