PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Gen Question

AS-RACER
04-11-2008, 03:37 PM
Anyone know how hard it would be to change a 2nd gen rx7 from automatic to manual? I have a manual parts car and am just wondering if it is worth it to try and change or should I get one that is already a manual??

joeg
04-11-2008, 03:47 PM
The electrics might be an issue but as long as you have a parts car (hopefully complete), go for it.

I did this with my IT car--not a Mazda--and it was a rewarding challenge to complete. The funniest part (the car was still street driven) was taking it to an inspection station still as an auto, but with three pedals!

Eagle7
04-11-2008, 06:43 PM
Anyone know how hard it would be to change a 2nd gen rx7 from automatic to manual? I have a manual parts car and am just wondering if it is worth it to try and change or should I get one that is already a manual??
Be careful when you weld in the manual transmission mounts. The carpet can catch on fire. :(

mbuskuhl
04-11-2008, 07:19 PM
I have not done it but here is what appears to be a good write-up

http://www.rotaryresurrection.com/2ndgen/tech_auto_to_5speed.html

C. Ludwig
04-13-2008, 02:42 PM
Be careful when you weld in the manual transmission mounts. The carpet can catch on fire. :(

So I'm not the only one that's done that? :D Actually we pulled the carpet back but the sound deadener caught fire.

AS-RACER
04-13-2008, 03:41 PM
Cool. thanks for the responses

Eagle7
04-13-2008, 05:13 PM
So I'm not the only one that's done that? :D Actually we pulled the carpet back but the sound deadener caught fire.Actually, it was my son. He lost part of the carpet, part of the plastic console, and some wiring. Could have been much worse. He was working alone under the car and didn't notice at first. Good thing he did notice or we'd have lost his car, my race car, and the whole shop.

C. Ludwig
04-14-2008, 03:40 PM
Actually, it was my son. He lost part of the carpet, part of the plastic console, and some wiring. Could have been much worse. He was working alone under the car and didn't notice at first. Good thing he did notice or we'd have lost his car, my race car, and the whole shop.

Mine was a small fire. Didn't really harm anything. Best part was grabbing the fire extinguisher, pulling the trigger, and watching the firing pin snap in two and fail to breach the seal! Garden hose to the rescue.

:happy204: