PDA

View Full Version : Rumours, innuendo and results from NHIS.

lateapex911
04-10-2008, 03:33 PM
So??? What's happening up there??

I'll start it off. TGA (the Greg Amy) is in Jeremy's Acura teg-r today testing and has spun a dozen times in his own oil that is spewing everywhere, from the overflow or something. (A quart per session)
OK, part of that isn't true...it's just a nasty rumour, (cuz I can) but you decide the truth and the fiction. ;)

JeffYoung
04-10-2008, 04:05 PM
Sounds very British.

Jeremy Billiel
04-10-2008, 05:05 PM
So??? What's happening up there??

I'll start it off. TGA (the Greg Amy) is in Jeremy's Acura teg-r today testing and has spun a dozen times in his own oil that is spewing everywhere, from the overflow or something. (A quart per session)
OK, part of that isn't true...it's just a nasty rumour, (cuz I can) but you decide the truth and the fiction. ;)

I haven't heard anything about the spinning, but I have been getting cell phone calls on the half hour about issues...

I am glad I am home! :p

Tkczecheredflag
04-10-2008, 05:55 PM
Rumor has it that Andy B is testing Hankooks. If he can keep the car in the 15's he will run the "money tires" for the season. So AB how did it go??

lateapex911
04-12-2008, 02:26 PM
Further rumour has it that Andy B will NOT be contesting this event in A due to some mechanical issues that can't be resolved in time...

Tkczecheredflag
04-12-2008, 05:14 PM
I heard that a Flatout fleet SSM was going to asuume the duties of the #09.

vwzx7
04-12-2008, 10:00 PM
How did qualifying go??

Tkczecheredflag
04-12-2008, 10:41 PM
How did qualifying go??
We'll have to wait for tomorrow for that - School ONLY today I believe.

Andy Bettencourt
04-13-2008, 12:31 AM
Car ran very well at the test day but I am pretty sure it threw a rod in the late morning while doing on-track instruction on the first day of the school.

No Hankook test as the tires are not available yet. Did try the Hoosier as the Goodyears are not available anymore...thought they were very fast. Times were very competitive for a track with a few wet spots in critical areas.

Going to run our 1.8l SM in ITA with the Hooisers and have some fun. Realistically, keeping up with the top guys won't be possible.

JLawton
04-13-2008, 06:11 AM
Realistically, keeping up with the top guys won't be possible.

Oh he is so humble....:rolleyes:

He's been walking around crowing how he's going to kick Joe's ass all over NHMS.......To quote, "I'll show him it's not all about the car...."

:p

Almost forgot. Greg has been running some great times......I'm sure he'll be keeping right up there in the front................of the ITB field!!

Man I crack myself up!!

Andy Bettencourt
04-13-2008, 08:32 AM
Oh he is so humble....:rolleyes:

He's been walking around crowing how he's going to kick Joe's ass all over NHMS.......To quote, "I'll show him it's not all about the car...."

To correct Jeff, "It's all about the HP today!"

Putz. :)

Tkczecheredflag
04-13-2008, 09:04 AM
To correct Jeff, "It's all about the HP today!"

Putz. :)
Spoken like a true champion.:rolleyes:

Andy Bettencourt
04-13-2008, 12:39 PM
So when I told Jeff he was a putz for making up that quote, he says he put a smiley in his post...he did!

Karma got him for making that stuff up with a hood that flew up and busted up his windshield on his first hot lap...maybe a few more episodes of 'My Name is Earl' are in order... :p:p:p:p

Congrats to Joe for P1 in qual and Tim Rodgers in the Egg for P2.

lateapex911
04-13-2008, 01:08 PM

:happy204::o:eclipsee_steering::happy204:

Wowza!

Not too shabby for a guy who's never been to that wacko autocross of a racetrack!

Tkczecheredflag
04-13-2008, 02:29 PM
So when I told Jeff he was a putz for making up that quote, he says he put a smiley in his post...he did!

Karma got him for making that stuff up with a hood that flew up and busted up his windshield on his first hot lap...maybe a few more episodes of 'My Name is Earl' are in order... :p:p:p

Just a reminder that as our NARRC Champ you have an image to maintain - You are our diplomat and leader.:happy204:

Tkczecheredflag
04-13-2008, 06:58 PM
here's what I have for starters:

Joe D green - checker
Steve Gorriaran glued to Joe's butt - was penalized and lost 2nd
Andy Bettencourt (hot lap - didn't get the number)
Shane Hawthorne

16v
04-13-2008, 07:41 PM
http://www.the16v.com/SCCA/08/nhis1/images/DSC_6450.jpg

http://www.the16v.com/SCCA/08/nhis1/images/DSC_6404.jpg

http://www.the16v.com/SCCA/08/nhis1/images/DSC_6438.jpg

:happy204:

Andy Bettencourt
04-14-2008, 07:25 AM
I was for sure a loooong weekend. Lots of time put in by Greg A, Jeff L, Dick P, etc from IT for the students at the school. Thursday test day for most of us made for a 4-day event.

The rain threatened all weekend and we got a lot during the school. Race day was COLD but dry.

ITA would have been an absolute BARN BURNER if Tim was able to come and Jeff didn't have an issue with a broken windshield. Would have been 6 cars fighting for 1-2 spots all race.

Patullo had a nice 'moment' in T3 that I hear is pretty awesome...

See you at Pocono - with a new engine...:eclipsee_steering:

JLawton
04-14-2008, 07:51 AM
Hi, my name is Jeff and I'm an idiot....

<everyone> Hi Jeff!!

Would have loved to have been in the dog fight, would have been fun.

Joe did have a hell of a race holding of Gorriaran (who unfortunately had a "slight" off during the pace lap...........). Great show.

To freakin' tired to write more......

gran racing
04-14-2008, 08:15 AM
Hood pins are cool. :cool:

Looking forward to more stories. Why was Steve DQ-ed?

JLawton
04-14-2008, 08:31 AM
Why was Steve DQ-ed?

He wasn't DQ'ed, just knocked back four (I think) places. I believe the rule is that if you leave the racing surface during the pace lap, you have to re-join at the back of the pack. He got a little over zelous scurbbing his tires at the top of the hill, got off into the dirt sideways, then re-joined in his original spot. From watching at turn 3, we all thought he was going to shoot back into the pack and collect a bunch of cars. Very scary from our vantage point.

lateapex911
04-14-2008, 08:56 AM
So, no new news from Jeff.....

(sorry Jeff, couldn't resist!)

What's up with the tunnel?? How deep was that?

Gorrian? In ITA?...

itracer
04-14-2008, 09:49 AM
He wasn't DQ'ed, just knocked back four (I think) places. I believe the rule is that if you leave the racing surface during the pace lap, you have to re-join at the back of the pack.

I think the section I bolded below covers it, but opinions are always welcome. I know we have plenty of those here.

6.2.2. SCCA Standard Start (Rolling Start)

J. A car may not improve its position in the field once it comes under the Starter’s orders, regardless of circumstances.
1. A car that fails to start with the pack or falls out of position during a pace lap relinquishes its grid position. It may rejoin the field only at the rear of the pack.
2. A car that improves its position is guilty of a false start and may be penalized. A false start shall occur when a driver under the Starter’s orders moves forward from his or her prescribed position before the start. In the case of a rolling start, this movement shall refer to improving the driver’s position in rela­tion to the moving field by moving out of line or passing prior to the waving of the green flag.

dickita15
04-14-2008, 10:11 AM
Patullo had a nice 'moment' in T3 that I hear is pretty awesome...

The top three IT7 cars qualified within 2 tenths, I was third with the first to separated by 2 hundredths.
On the first lap in turn three I ran out of talent and did a 360 spin at the entrance in the middle of the pack. I know in that moment I was going to be spending a lot of time in the garage fixing this.
Miraculously the seas split and no one touched me. Upon reflection I determined that many of those that drove so well in not hitting me were my students from the day before so I think I will take credit for that. :D
Congratulation to Grant McStay, the first Ne Div IT7 race winner, lap record holder, NERRC and NARRC points leader.

Greg Amy
04-14-2008, 10:15 AM
Joe kicked ass. That's all I got to say about that...

He got a little over zelous scurbbing his tires...
I think that's being a bit nice. I'd describe it more as being an arrogant bonehead.

As he was coming through T3 he tried to kick out the rear tires, I assume to heat them up. He got WAAY out of shape and just about lost the car around that blind spot/Jersey barriers right then and there. Fortunately, he caught it and continued.

Then he did the EXACT SAME STUPID THING at the top of the hill. This time his "ginormous" talent pool didn't save him; he tank-slapped it into the dirt and up the hill on the left, then shot across the track to the right, across Andy's bow. Andy, who was originally gridded behind him, swung around him and continued, with Gorrarian in quick pursuit, and he got back into his original spot (which was just to the left of Andy, same row.)

Hey, it might have worked for him, except for the somewhat-minor inconvenience of other drivers having been in the same race group as him... :rolleyes:

Jake, he's done that before, run ITA; in fact, he was on pole with that Spec Miata at Watkins Glen last year when I was there. Like I told Andy, those Spec Miatas make damn fine ITA cars...give them real shocks, less weight, open exhausts, internal engine mods - call it 25-30 more horsepower - open diff and such and that thing might actually be able to eventually even place top-3...

I have no clue how Patullo managed to do a complete 360 in the middle of the pack - in the entry to T3, first lap, and not get hit.

I'm tired. Glad we only do this event once a year...

gran racing
04-14-2008, 10:27 AM
being an arrogant bonehead.

Nah, not Gorrian. What a ...

Dick, was Grant in his new car? Glad to hear you didn't cause any damage to your car!

georgethefierce
04-14-2008, 10:47 AM
regardless of how he got there that ITA battle was the highlight of the day.

pretty sure I saw first hand how crazy Joe really is.

rhygin
04-14-2008, 11:51 AM
I have tried to cut a cool screen shot from the T3 360... but cannot see to do it. Is there a program that I should try and use to "pull" a screen shot from a video clip. The video clip should be good!

This is a bit of the a "thank you to the academy" thing coming, but I need to offer a huge thanks to a number of people who:

a) helped me get through the school
b) helped me get my head in the game after feeling very overwhelmed after the test day
c) helped me get my permit approved
d) helped me keep my car nice and straight
e) and... sharing in my excitement!

I still have an ear to ear grin!

Special thanks to Kyle for his generosity, sweat equity, enthusiasm, and support.

lateapex911
04-14-2008, 11:52 AM
.... Gorrian. What a ...

Dick, .....

Just in case you were too subtle, wouldn't want anyone to miss a well crafted forum joke!

JLawton
04-14-2008, 12:46 PM
I have tried to cut a cool screen shot from the T3 360... but cannot see to do it. Is there a program that I should try and use to "pull" a screen shot from a video clip. The video clip should be good!

We don't want no stinkin' screen shots, we want the video!!!!

Actually, I need to see it to figure out how the hell Dick did it!! We were wrapped up in watching Joe's battle, that by time i looked, Dick was stopped dead, pointing in the right direction. But this was about 3/4 into the braking zone, in a straight line and not after the apex like the usual spins in 6.

Of course, that same race we saw a well known red car come up over the dunes in the area between 9 and 3. Very, VERY interesting.....and entertaining!!! :D

philstireservice
04-14-2008, 12:57 PM
Hmmmm?? Might have to steal Joe D from Kakashi for my stable......

Way to go buddy !!!:smilie_pokal:

Greg Amy
04-14-2008, 01:18 PM
Hmmmm?? Might have to steal Joe D from Kakashi for my stable...
Hmmm, how much am I going to have to pay? Call me, we can negotiate...

:)

Greg Amy
04-14-2008, 01:26 PM
Oh, and another interesting tidbit from NHMS*: The South Chicane is "out", as far as SCCA club racing goes. The NER road race committee (I believe it is) has decided that the configuration is too dangerous, primarily (as I understand it) due to the limited sight lines having been a significant factor in recent track incidents. I'm sure official announcements will be forthcoming, but for the foreseeable future, no more South Chicane.

*The track is ADAMANT about the new name, New Hampshire Motor Speedway. If you accidentally write a check to "NHIS" expect it to be handed back to you, with a stern request for "NHMS" to be the payee...

dickita15
04-14-2008, 01:48 PM
Rhygin, I would really like a copy of that video.

Andy Bettencourt
04-14-2008, 02:46 PM
Oh, and another interesting tidbit from NHMS*: The South Chicane is "out", as far as SCCA club racing goes. The NER road race committee (I believe it is) has decided that the configuration is too dangerous, primarily (as I understand it) due to the limited site lines having been a significant factor in recent track incidents. I'm sure official announcements will be forthcoming, but for the foreseeable future, no more South Chicane.

*The track is ADAMANT about the new name, New Hampshire Motor Speedway. If you accidentally write a check to "NHIS" expect it to be handed back to you, with a stern request for "NHMS" to be the payee...

After further talks with Surge this weekend, I believe he has found a safe place to have a station that would allow a nice view of a yellow should there be something amiss in 2A.

I hope they go back and revisit their decision.

Andy Bettencourt
04-14-2008, 02:56 PM
Jake, he's done that before, run ITA; in fact, he was on pole with that Spec Miata at Watkins Glen last year when I was there. Like I told Andy, those Spec Miatas make damn fine ITA cars...give them real shocks, less weight, open exhausts, internal engine mods - call it 25-30 more horsepower - open diff and such and that thing might actually be able to eventually even place top-3...

Just to correct some facts...my ITA car makes about 15 more whp than the car Steve was driving - if you believe the Jet numbers people claim from Rebello's SM program..and given the cars performance at the Glen that weekend, I just might. The ITA weight is MORE than the SM weight for those cars.

I am pretty sure they can crack the top 3... :)

I would peg a National SM at about 85% prep in IT. Shock valving tweaks, raise the spring rates (although some fast drivers don't), ECU (nice gains), a header (tiny gains).

Oh ya, Steve was on Toyo's...maybe that's why he couldn't keep it straight on the warm-up lap!

Fun race - no doubt.

Ed Funk
04-14-2008, 02:59 PM
Can I assume that Fred White was OCIC in ITC? My car is still in need of some major attention and with 70 hrs/week at my real job, this old guy just doesn't have a lot of extra steam.

Steph was supposed to run, but then the baby was due to arrive on Sunday, so that was out. She wanted me to take her car and run, but I really felt that my place was by her side.

Planning on Pocono

Andy Bettencourt
04-14-2008, 03:01 PM
Fred was there representing you guys! He ran all weekend at the school and I may have even seen him at the test day. He must be tired!

dickita15
04-14-2008, 04:12 PM
Freddy is the friggin energizer bunny. He took only one on track session off during the school and made every critique with no crew. The new car seems pretty tight.

trhoppe
04-14-2008, 04:40 PM
No Hankook test as the tires are not available yet.

Is it bad that I laughed at that?

-Tom

JeffYoung
04-14-2008, 04:44 PM
I think it is called "being realistickookly" Tom......lol.....

Serge
04-14-2008, 05:59 PM
As Andy mentioned, I believe I've found a solution to the inconspicuous flag station 2.
I did a little exploring on Saturday and discovered an ideal relocation for the "I never noticed the flag" flagging station 2 which presently is located in turn 2, dirver's left.
The new location will be to the other side of the track, driver's right, behind the catch fence, oposite of the present location. The fence at that point has an opening for photographers and an exellent view of the chican and all the way to station 3.
I plan on using the new location for all future events, both NASCAR 1 & 2 and the chicane. It's going to be nearly impossible to miss the flag station comming out of the chicane since it's directly ahead of the drivers as they exit the chicane and very visible from the oval since the flags will be sticking out through the fence.
Therefore, with this new and very visible relocation, we will have at least one double weekend using the south chicane.

Regards,

Serge Lentz
NER CRB Chairman

dpc
04-14-2008, 06:14 PM
Thanks Serge!!!!!! dave

lateapex911
04-14-2008, 07:16 PM
Therefore, with this new and very visible relocation, we will have at least one double weekend using the south chicane.

Regards,

Serge Lentz
NER CRB Chairman

Darn..i hate that goofy chicane.. Loved the NASCAR bowl...another passing location.

Greg Amy
04-14-2008, 09:00 PM
Darn..i hate that goofy chicane.. Loved the NASCAR bowl...another passing location.
Just can't please all the people all the time... :shrug:

Hey, didn't you win your ITA boat race with that "goofy chicane"...?

rhygin
04-14-2008, 09:43 PM
T3 VIDEO FUN...

Dick... hope you enjoy and thanks for having dinner with me on Thursday night.

still think this is insane.... sooo.., who gave me the nudge in the back?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTQP1ER4nZ8

Greg Amy
04-14-2008, 09:56 PM
WOO-HOO!!!! Now THAT'S an e-ticket ride!!!

16v
04-15-2008, 12:08 AM
WOW!

that was some pretty good stunt driving Dick

dickita15
04-15-2008, 04:50 AM
Thanks Brad. That was uhh, disturbing. I guess all those early years watching the Rockford Files was not wasted.

Eagle7
04-15-2008, 06:36 AM
T3 VIDEO FUN...
Rear brake lockup - right?

JLawton
04-15-2008, 06:55 AM
That was amazing Dick!! Since there was no harm, I can now laugh WITH you on that one!!

That being said, I'm sure you all will laugh with me on this one.........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5vtz6sxhTA

dickita15
04-15-2008, 07:18 AM
Rear brake lockup - right?
Yes some but my mistake was when the Blue 31 moved over into the hole I was diving for I must have turned the wheel a little to the right as well as pushing the pedal a little harder. Remember it was 35 degrees out and the sealer is not as worn off on the right side of the braking area.

JLawton
04-15-2008, 07:20 AM
Not as good as Doug's, but............

dickita15
04-15-2008, 07:20 AM
That was amazing Dick!! Since there was no harm, I can now laugh WITH you on that one!!

I am still amazed at how fast that happens.

rhygin
04-15-2008, 07:35 AM
That happened faster than instantly... yikes!

gran racing
04-15-2008, 07:55 AM
Not sure about laughing with, but that is a good video. Tons of very good drivers with large crew do that Jeff, don't feel too bad. Didn't Anthony Serra do that in a pre-race session down at the ARRC in '05?

Wow Dick, that was really close! From that video, it surprised me that the car spun around like that. Nice avoiding him Brad!!!

Joe - awesome freaking job! Wahoo!

Tkczecheredflag
04-15-2008, 08:05 AM
Didn't Anthony Serra do that in a pre-race session down at the ARRC in '05?

It was actually Jason Adamski (correct stable wrong driver). My dad help kick out the old windshield to ready the car to race. Jason was doing some pre-qualifying Anthony pampering and in doing so forgot his own pins.

We purchased that car the next year.

lateapex911
04-15-2008, 08:53 AM
Just can't please all the people all the time... :shrug:

Hey, didn't you win your ITA boat race with that "goofy chicane"...?

Nope...the rain fell on the banking, and it was good.

raffaelli
04-15-2008, 10:31 AM
T3 VIDEO FUN...

WOW!!!!:026:

raffaelli
04-15-2008, 10:33 AM

What a rude surprise.:blink:

Andy Bettencourt
04-15-2008, 10:52 AM
I may ADD hood pins, but I will never take out my factory latch. I would lose two windshields a year...

lateapex911
04-15-2008, 11:24 AM
I'm sure I'd be on my third windshield if my hood was hinged at the back...

one frame normal, the next frame all dark with glass flying. Wow. How'd you see to pull over?

Andy Bettencourt
04-15-2008, 10:24 PM
http://www.mylaps.com/results/newResults.jsp?id=772052

Top 6 in ITA posted fast laps within 3/10's !!!!!!!!!! :happy204:

gran racing
04-16-2008, 07:54 AM
Richie was in ITR?

And he was DQ-ed? What's up with that?

Andy Bettencourt
04-16-2008, 08:01 AM
He has a new NASA-based Honda Challenge car. It still has the huge rear wing on the back and is not legal for ITR. He was running what I thought were ITR-like times in the low 1:14's.

ddewhurst
04-16-2008, 08:04 AM
***I am still amazed at how fast that happens.***

Dick,it don't get any slower as we mature.:cool:

Greg Amy
04-16-2008, 08:17 AM
Richie...was DQ-ed?
I thought he agreed to pull aside at the end of the race? Was there a protest?

Richie was behind the eight-ball all day. First, he showed up Sunday morning on the the last day of the very first event of the year looking for an initial logbook inspection on a new car, with his 15-minute qually session looming. Second, he didn't have everything up to snuff, so he had to make some changes on the car to get signed off on the logbook. Third, he signed up for ITR, thinking it was "the class for old World Challenge cars", but didn't have enough time left to change to ITE. Finally, instead of simply apologizing and agreeing to take a dive in the race (he said he was just there to get some track time) he pretty much dared Maynard to protest him 'cause it "didn't matter" to him.

Hey, just Richie being Richie, that's why we love him.

:shrug:

Car runs strong, though...

itracer
04-16-2008, 09:13 AM
I thought he agreed to pull aside at the end of the race? Was there a protest?.

He had a times that would be a new track record, so pulling aside with an illegal car would not right the wrong. He was DQ'd by Steward action based on observations of an illegal wing by Tech. He was cool with it. He should have been in ITE.

Greg Amy
04-16-2008, 09:22 AM
Ah. Good call, Jason. - GA

nlevine
04-16-2008, 06:21 PM
T3 VIDEO FUN...

Here's another view of that now-famous spin..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yZdQoquHkM

-noam

dickita15
04-16-2008, 06:36 PM
Thanks Noam, sorry I got you tires dirty.:o

tnord
04-16-2008, 06:47 PM
a little background on Gorrian from the SM world in case you guys are not aware.....

before the 2006 runoffs, but right near the end of the season (i think the 2nd to last race, with the last race to follow 5 days after), Steve Gorrian felt the need to throw paper at two competitors placed ahead of him in national points. Steve was something like 11th with the two guys he protested in 10th and 9th. The official motivation behind the protest was alleged to be because he was sick of everyone in front of him cheating with pro motors. The speculated motivation was to keep these two guys out of next weekends race by forcing the motors to be shipped back to Topeka. That's right, he didn't just protest the cams, compression, or throttle body, he protested the whole damn thing.

Overall the SM community was outraged, and Gorrian torched all across the webs. loaner cars were drummed up to ensure the two guys protested made it to the race and kept Steve out. I believe both motors were found perfectly legal, but i don't remember for sure.

The best part comes in 2007. I remember with 100% certainty that Gorrian was busted for some sort of illegal motor part. If I had to take a guess, he was busted once during the seasons for illegal cams, and i'm pretty sure i recall him getting busted during the runoffs also, for an illegal restrictor plate.

priceless.

so yeah, keep one eye on him throughout the year.

nlevine
04-16-2008, 07:38 PM
Thanks Noam, sorry I got you tires dirty.:o

No harm, no foul. I got back any positions I lost..