PDA

View Full Version : Start Yer Bitchin'

webmaster
04-08-2008, 10:08 AM
OK I might have some time this week to check in here more often... :024:
so if there are issue with the site that are annoying you... let me know

lateapex911
04-08-2008, 11:12 AM
I think it might be the teeny tiny default font size, for those of us that run high resolution...

itracer
04-08-2008, 11:23 AM
Not going to the last page of a multi page post?

webmaster
04-08-2008, 11:24 AM
Thats to test your visual acuity. If you fail the test we been asked by SCCA to capture that information and send the names to club licensing :)

Seriously...
A) The is a workaround template available from the drop down at the bottom of each page.
B} Changing the default for this template (style) is high on my list ... will be done as soon as I can verify I wont make unwanted changed elsewhere.
C) I see no reason for it to be "gray" either. Black woudl help adn I bet I can do that ASAP

webmaster
04-08-2008, 11:27 AM

A 'post' is a single response. They are never multipages long. Kirk & Miller have tried!
A thread is a group of responses to an initial topic's post.
Threads can span multiple pages.

So you are saying that when you go to a topic that you have never read and you click on the topic title that it jumps you to teh last post instead of the first?

The behaviour changes depending on whether you have look at the thread before (even clicked on it) or not.

gran racing
04-08-2008, 11:50 AM
Maybe the length of each page? It seems like the amount of text / posts are pretty short before creating another page.

Font size default is a big one on my list.

Greg Amy
04-08-2008, 11:51 AM
There's a little "down arrow" to the left of the topic title. Selecting that arrow will jump you to the last unread post in the topic... - GA

Eagle7
04-08-2008, 12:10 PM
I think it might be the teeny tiny default font size, for those of us that run high resolution...
It was previously posted:

Go to User CP
Edit Options
Under miscellaneous, set "Forum Skin" to "Default Style"Or is that not what you're talking about?

mbuskuhl
04-08-2008, 12:14 PM
You asked for bitchin so here it goes...

Larger PM capacity. The max is 50 messages, another forum I frequent allows for 500 and another 250. I would think server space is an issue and that's why it's capped at 50.

Otherwise, this forum is great!!!! :D

webmaster
04-08-2008, 12:26 PM
It's now set to 150

Delete your old ones as there really is no reason to need more than 150.
Email is for your personal archive of important stuff, not IT.com :)

webmaster
04-08-2008, 12:29 PM
Wow... 10 posts per "page" ... you aint kiddin that's short.
I'll bump it up to 30.

Page load speed should not be an issues as we dont have tons of embedded photos etc.

lateapex911
04-08-2008, 12:35 PM
All good changes! Actually the PM thing is an issue for some of us who get "official" hate and love mail...ok, more the former, or other info, and it's great place to store it for when it's needed.

gran racing
04-08-2008, 12:37 PM
It was previously posted:

Go to User CP
Edit Options
Under miscellaneous, set "Forum Skin" to "Default Style" That's all and good but most people probably, actually they haven't, done this.

planet6racing
04-08-2008, 01:00 PM
For me, only in the General Discussion forum, it defaults to showing only the posts made in the last day. The rest of the forums show the last 45 days, iirc. I haven't found a way that I could set it (and stay set) to view more than the last day in GD.

On edit - I'm a fan of the Chromium skin. Of course, I have "young" eyes, so that may help...

webmaster
04-08-2008, 01:31 PM
For me, only in the General Discussion forum, it defaults to showing only the posts made in the last day.

Fixed. It's now a month. Must have not taken the right settings during the import.

THawkbh
04-08-2008, 03:14 PM
I'm pretty new, but the first things I've noticed are the small font size (holding Ctrl and moving the scroll wheel helps a little) and the color contrasts. The light blue tint behind the text makes it difficult to see the text even when I enlarge it. The site isn't too easy on the eyes, and I'm not an old fart by any means.

webmaster
04-08-2008, 03:31 PM
The light blue tint behind the text makes it difficult to see the text even when I enlarge it. The site isn't too easy on the eyes.

The bg color behind the text should not be blue. Thats probably your monitor. But it is shaded slightly gray. I'll see if I can remove it.

Around noon I enlarged the text 1 pt and made it black instead of dark gray.

Seems that nobody noticed? :017:

I think a different font would be easier to read also.

THawkbh
04-08-2008, 04:18 PM
The bg color behind the text should not be blue. Thats probably your monitor. But it is shaded slightly gray. I'll see if I can remove it.

Around noon I enlarged the text 1 pt and made it black instead of dark gray.

Seems that nobody noticed? :017:

I think a different font would be easier to read also.

It was the skin I was using. I changed it to default as someone else noted and now it is white behind the text. It's much easier to read. I now notice you changed the text. Also, much easier to read.
Thank you.

JeffYoung
04-08-2008, 04:34 PM
Webmaster, I would propose the following changes:

1. When I log onto the site, I think you should make 3 naked chics, 8s at a minimum, appear in my office.

2. When I start a new thread, I should be rewarded with a 25 year old bottle of scotch. You can overnight it to my house.

3. When I delete spam, $100 per deletion should be credited to my pay pal account.

4. When I smite an unworthy arguer on some obscure GCR provision, I should be awarded a t-shirt stating "I kicked ass on It.Com."

The above are obviously reasonable requests and I think you should implement them immediately.

lateapex911
04-08-2008, 04:51 PM
1. When I log onto the site, I think you should make 3 naked chics, 8s at a minimum, appear in my office.

You work at a cool place! On the "other site" somebody deleted my avatar in a thread because it was offensive and unsafe for work!

Now, when your girlfriend stops in for lunch, which naked girl will she like? :cool:

planet6racing
04-09-2008, 10:26 AM
Fixed. It's now a month. Must have not taken the right settings during the import.

Well thank you. But, now there is one other small problem. It is arranging these (30) days of topics in reverse alphabetical order, instead of by most recent post date like all the other forums...

I'm not trying to be picky! Really! (I won't even complain that you upped the font size in the Chromium skin because of all the old people on this board... :D )

Thank you for all the work!!

webmaster
04-09-2008, 10:49 AM
Interesting. I didnt change that. It's fixed now. What will break next ? :)

planet6racing
04-10-2008, 05:13 PM
Everything seems perfect now. Thank you!! :smilie_pokal:

THawkbh
04-10-2008, 08:35 PM
I have a suggestion. Maybe you already have this and I missed it, but is it possible to create a link to a page where we can see the topics we have recently posted in?

Chris Wire
04-12-2008, 12:27 PM
Is there a way to tag my "visited" time to my actual log-in time?

I use the "New Posts" feature almost exlclusively, and sometimes when I answer a post and refresh the screen, my "last visited" time gets updated and I lose track some of the posts I may not have viewed yet. That forces me to go to the main menu and surf topic-by-topic looking for threads by time that I may like to view/respond to.

If the "visited" time stayed attached to the actual log-in time, I could refresh the screen indefinitely as long as I don't log-off or close the window. That seems to be the norm on other vB forums I visit.

Chris Wire
04-26-2008, 01:27 PM
Well, it happened again.......twice.

I logged on at 12:12pm today, looked around, viewed several threads without posting. When I clicked on a recent thread the the top of the "newest posts" list, I was taken to the thread but my login was gone. At 12:38 I had to login again to respond in that thread.

Just now, at 1:00pm, without logging out, I clicked on the ITForums main menu to go to this thread and post my problem. When I was on the menu I was logged in, and when I clicked on this thread to add my post, suddenly and without warning I was no longer logged in.

The only thing that I can think of that correlates to both experiences it time. There was over 30 mins logged in the first time, but only 22 min passed the second time. Since I routinely keep the forum up at work and refresh it periodically, it there a way to extend the time before my user ID times out to avoid constant "re-logins"?

webmaster
04-27-2008, 10:01 AM
User IDs do not "time out".
I come back days or weeks later and I am logged in already because I selected "stay logged in" when I first logged in.

If you are using IE or Safari, try with FireFox. And vice versa. These types of problems are common when either your web site cookie or a temp internet file is corrupt.