PDA

View Full Version : Changing brake fluid

RacerBill
04-04-2008, 11:37 AM
How do you tell, when changing brake fluid, that the old stuff has been flushed out of the system, assuming that the existing fluid is just as clean as the new fluid, and the same color?

Thanks! :)

Greg Amy
04-04-2008, 12:23 PM
You alternate between ATE Blue and ATE Gold...<grin>

gran racing
04-04-2008, 12:30 PM
x2 I love that stuff!

924Guy
04-04-2008, 12:31 PM
What he said...

RacerBill
04-04-2008, 12:38 PM
Thanks, guys. Guess I go out looking for 'stuff' again.

Vaughn, just realized I missed seeing you at the IT Fest last year. Hike up the hill to where the wild party is this year.

924Guy
04-04-2008, 02:37 PM
Yeah, I guess we were only half-way up the hill - had our own party lit! Well, till the local nazi came by and bashed some heads in... ;)

RacerBill
04-24-2008, 08:14 AM
OK, back on thread. Got the blue stuff. Now, what's the best procedure? Empty the master cyl from the top, pour in the new, and start bleeding? Pump some out, pour in the new, and start bleeding? I have been told to start with the longest line, then the next longest, etc......

Thanks

joeg
04-24-2008, 08:37 AM
Take a turkey baster and pull most of the old --not all (do not uncover the bottom ports)--from the master. Fill with new fluid and start bleeding. Longest lines are bled first.

You can actually gravity bleed it. Crack all the bleeders and let it drip until color changes. Close bleeders.

Then you can do some regular bleeding.

Keep the master full.

tbtapper
04-24-2008, 01:48 PM
The process I've always used is to simply bleed the brakes in the prescribed manner (I always start with PassRear, DrRear, Passfrt, DrFront).

I start with the fluid that's already in the reservoir (why would it be bad??) bleed each corner a full reservoir (but NOT empty or uncovering the master fluid inlets) and that's it.

Net result is that most if not all the fluid is new or at least is fluid that was in a line under the car. (why would it be bad or whatever??) All the calipers have fresh fluid and I have a solid reliable pedal always.

This takes 20 minutes and usually used a little less than a small container of Bfluid. In reality the brake fluid is pretty much fresh all the time in all the system.

A minor benefit here is that we are minimizing the amount of Bfluid introduced into the environment. Bfluid is nasty stuff for the environment.

Travers
ITS 19

Knestis
04-24-2008, 01:56 PM
... I start with the fluid that's already in the reservoir (why would it be bad??) ...

Because it has absorbed water, decreasing its boiling point.

K

RacerBill
04-24-2008, 04:22 PM
:DThanks, guys. I had the right ideas. I was testing my sanity. Checked out ok, by the way, except for being in this game to begin with.:D